WTF

Comments

• Ice-T records a Dungeons and Dragons audiobook.
  • Hey, look, it's a Groupon to see Bone Thugs-n-Harmony with A$AP Ferg!

Seriously.

Craig
  • Sadly, Black by popular demand will not be featured again this year.

But that doesn't mean it isn't sorely needed to edumacate those who should know better than to do something like this.

I don't won't to spoil the link but let's just say go ahead and state that it involves fried chicken, watermelon and cornbread. But that's not what gets this entered into the WTF hall of fame.

There was a big controversy of course and they had a meeting and the compromise was to take watermelon off the menu. Excuse me?
  • Good lord, jUj. It's 2014 and people still think crap like that is a good idea?

I assume you didn't see this, but it got a fair bit of press in Minnesota. It's particularly bad because it's a store that claims to pride itself on being progressive, but still doesn't see the issue with offering an MLK Day sale on black items because MLK was "super-fly". Now, if they offered a sale on all clothing regardless of color (because...duh), no one would have cared (probably even with the superfly comment).

Craig
  • Sochi!

anigif_enhanced-13142-1391803957-12.gif

WTF!?

WTF!?

#SochiProblems

People say lol all the time, but I haven't seriously laughed at anything quite so hard as at those cops singing Get Lucky in a while.
  • Snuggle the fabric softener bear?
  • See, in Russia, bear is friendly. Drink vodka, yes?
  • edited February 2014
    The problem here is that the Sochi bear (aka "Bely Mishka," or literally "White Bear") is too light-colored. They should have made the costume darker, so that it would look more like Yogi Bear (i.e., "Bely Medved" or "Brown Bear"). But Bely MIshka isn't even white, really - instead, they used a kind of almost ecru shade ("Bely Bezhevyy," or "Beige Bear") that for Americans is far more reminiscent of Cindy Bear, Yogi's occasional girlfriend.
    Cindy.jpgdance-activity.gif
    But since it's clearly meant to be a male bear, this leads to a kind of gender-confusion among Westerners more familiar with Hanna Barbera characters. Granted, these days this kind of gender confusion is not as big a deal as it might have been 40 years ago, when men (who may or may not have been interested in the then-nascent "furry scene" or even some sort of highly-taboo interspecies relationship) dressed in bell-bottoms and had big hairdos.
    250_SM20287.jpg
    Note the alarming similarity in color-scheme choice. Even now that it's 2014 and we have people like Anderson Cooper and NeNe Leakes, this is still disturbing to a certain percentage of people who might be described as winter-sports fans who also enjoy watching meaningless elaborate pageantry on TV for no good reason, while at the same time claiming to hold conservative or "traditional" values regarding sexuality, marriage, and so on. (Admittedly, this is probably a very small number of people.)

I might add that it also doesn't help that Cindy Bear was typically portrayed on the Yogi Bear Show as the more romantically-aggressive member of the Yogi/Cindy relationship. The effect, in terms of the Sochi bear, is almost as if Cindy had a sex-change operation, put on a pair of ice skates, and started parading around half-naked in front of millions of impressionable children, possibly looking to recruit them - which is precisely the opposite of what the Russians presumably intended.
  • edited February 2014
    ScreenShot2014-02-25at112857AM_zps4401b715.png

Pricecheck in Internet Explorer
  • That happens almost every week, choice. The prices will get adjusted to $5 soon.

Craig
  • @Craig I figured. They're really killing any other MP3 site with these prices for very new albums
  • To an extent, but 7digital is still so little known that I'm not sure Amazon etc. even care.

Craig
  • 7digital seems to have some serious problems with automating their price changes. Not only do they frequently put the sales page up like that, but sometimes the previous week's sales go back to regular prices immediately and sometimes it takes a couple days.

@jUj - I had quite a discussion on Facebook with a friend who said he didn't understand why it was a problem because fried chicken and cornbread are awesome. More and more these days I see white people getting offended because of things like... not getting to use the n-word. Seriously.
  • @thom you'd think it would happen as soon as you put them on the sale page. Maybe some ex emu people work for them.
  • A map state by state of artists that are streamed disproportionately often compared to the national average:

distinctive_artist_map1%20(2).png
  • This is the single greatest thing I've ever seen. I really wish I were Japanese.

I present to you, Baby Metal.

Also great? {url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TdwT5JlH8gM]The Maximum Hormone.[/url]

Craig
  • - And they are younger and younger . . . What will the next be ?

300x300.jpg
  • How to Write a "Vinyl is Back!" Story
    Please resist the urge to use a photo of an empty record store, as the reader may look at it and wonder, "Is vinyl really back?" You never want them thinking this because -- haven't you heard? -- vinyl is back!

We comics fans have a similar complaint about news stories headlined, "Zap! Pow! Comics Aren't Just for Kids Anymore"
  • edited April 2014
    Very funny. The average journalistic understanding of science is on display too in this incoherent gem:
    Theoretically, they scientifically have proven that we can't hear the difference. But there is something.
  • My daughter turns 21 tomorrow. My goal, apparently, is to mortify her by posting this on her FB page

o8zako.jpg

Once dads start getting hold of a meme, you can be pretty sure it's run its course
  • I don't even know that meme, Doofy. Although, I am a dad, so...

Craig
  • Know your Meme - "Doge" It is kind of like I Can Has Cheeseburger, but weirder and in a different font

One shudders to think what kind of nonsense your son and his friends will be passing around to each other, Craig. Although maybe by that time this whole Internet thing will have blown over
  • Ah, so that's a Doge. I'd seen the term, but not what it applied to.

Lord, I hope memes have cooled down 15 years from now, but I'm not optimistic. Someday there will be college students majoring in "The History of Meme".

Craig
  • Homestar Runner! I was briefly obsessed with that in the mid-2000's.
  • @Doofy, for some reason I find very funny the fact that the recording of cultural history now includes deadpan sentences like:
    "On October 28th, 2010, a photo of Kabosu was submitted to the /r/Ads subreddit[3] with the title “LMBO LOOK @ THIS FUKKIN DOGE,” where it received 266 upvotes, 218 points overall and 48 comments prior to being archived. "
  • A Linguist Explains the Grammar of Doge. Wow.
    Someday there will be college students majoring in "The History of Meme".
    We have a niece who did her thesis on forum interactions among fans of a certain style brand (of whom she was one) ; wrote her way into a job in the fashion industry.
  • edited April 2014
    29nvzir.png

Um...yesterday I bought this exact CD in brand new condition for $1.99 in a thrift store.

There's an aesthetic head-scratcher too, what kind of label goes to the trouble of designing a deluxe double-CD fold-out digipak with glossy nature photography (not quite to my taste but apparently trying to look nice) and then puts the bar code prominently on the FRONT of the package (it's cut off in the above capture but you can see it at the bottom)?
  • Yes, GP. A year or so ago I saw a book I'd been involved with for sale at something like £500 on Amazon. The publisher, a UK subject association, was still selling it as normal at around £25!