I started a podcast

Comments

• How's your January going? Are you keeping up on your New Year's resolutions? January seems to be the month of broken resolutions. How long does it take you to give up on your list? Have you kept up on your list past the first weekend? Good intentions and all, but generally nearly impossible to keep up with.

That's why I don't keep a list, although there are always some things I do to try to improve myself. My batting average isn't bad right now on January 6, but the year is young. Let's all try to keep the good things going this year (or at least until MLK Day).

My quest for the perfect podcast continues, but today's is a goodie. Let's break some resolutions together while listening to Translator, the Plimsouls, the Three O'Clock, Van Morrison, Junior Parker, Sonny Biy Williamson II, Lightnin' Hopkins, Walter Horton, Nancy Wilson, Chaka Khan, Aretha Franklin, Labelle, Fleetwood Mac, the Moody Blues, and Tony Joe White.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer - iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too - leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• It's cold. Usually the cold doesn't affect me, but lately, I'm starting to feel it. Maybe it's time to start taking the "Move South" movement my wife's on seriously. In past years I've shrugged off bad weather; maybe it's a temporary thing. Let's hope so, as we won't be moving south anytime soon. Ooh, look, it's going to warm up a bit this week- problem solved.

We can start thinking about warm weather with today's podcast - the first set is by bands from the south, so let's toss on a sweater anad hear R.E.M., Dreams So Real, the Connells, Matthew Sweet, Eugene McGuinness, Sharon Jones, Kings Go Forth, La Sera, Norah Jones, Dr. John, the Black Keys, Gotye, Barrence Whitfield & the Savages, the Brian Jonestown Massacre, and the Dandy Warhols.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer - iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too - leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• The snowpocalypse scheduled for this weekend has once again (sort of) fizzled out, and instead of snow all day we're getting freezing rain. Bring on the snow, I say. Much easier to deal with snow than frozen rain. Ugh - lots of work ahead of me shoveling and swearing today and tomorrow morning.

To get ready for the work, I'll be listening to music, and on today's podcast includes Kevin Morby, Magazine, the Bats, Black Grape, Wire, Television, the Velvet Underground, John Cale, Ray Charles, Graham Parker, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, the Who, Poco, the Flying Burrito Brothers, and the Allman Brothers Band.

• Another Sunday, another post. 52 a year (just once a week - I'm not huge on social media) for going on 5 years. Not always a lot to talk about. This week, we'll get the government back up and going (for three weeks - 3, just 3). I guess I'll find out how pressing the issue was we had at work by how soon I'll be contacted to talk about it. It's pretty minor, so I won't hear anything for a while (maybe more than 3 weeks - that's how minor it is). Let's see if we can keep the government open this time. We don't need a wall.

So join me today in welcoming the opening of the government with Traffic, Neil Young, Shemekia Copeland, John Mayall, Paul Butterfield's Blues Band, Otis Rush, Tracey Thorn, Beth Orton, Hooverphonic, John Lennon, Spinal Tap, Nilsson, and the Monkees.

• The Super Bowl is today. Here's what will happen: one team will win, and the fans will be happy. One team will lose, and the fans of that team will think that they were robbed. There will be a bad call by the referees. This may be used as the reason that the team lost (it's not true - no one sequence affects the game that much). The game will probably be close.

My team, the Patriots, are one of the teams. I have followed football since the late 1960s, and for many of those years, the Patriots stunk. They had 3 winning seasons from the late 1960s through 1981. I remember going to Boston one Sunday and asking a friend why he wasn't watching the Patriots play. Simple, he said, an NFL team is blacked out when the team doesn't sell out the stadium, so he never sees the Patriots home games. Oh. Since then they've actually been decent (leaving aside the 1-15 and 2-14 seasons), and they've been remarkable since 2001 (Belichick era). Long-time fans have had their ups and downs, is what I'm saying.

Anyway, I think my team will win. I sometimes think the coaches are a little bit better than they are - they don't hoard as many plays and schemes as we think they do, but they game plan better than almost anyone. Should be a fun game to watch - go Pats.

So I didn't put in a "root, root, root for the home team" song in this week's podcast, not sure any of the songs are uplifting enough to use as preparation for the game (for the players - for us, the fans, yes). So let's get ready for the game with the Move, the Beatles, the Doors, John Mayall, General Public, Winter Hours, Chameleons, Neil Young, Kelly Willis, Shelby Lynne, Tift Merritt, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Beck, Gilberto Gil, and Jorge Ben.

• My only connection with the Super Bowl is the Suprep Bowel™ 
    stuff I had to drink this last week for my colonoscopy.
    They both have the same effect on me.
  • Hey, you know how I threaten to post on occasional Wednesdays? This is occasional Wednesday - February 6, 2019. Got some jazz tunes for y'all to listen to today.

So take some time and tap your feet to Dave Pike, Peggy Lee, Alphonse Mouzon, Art Tatum & Ben Webster, Elvin Jones, Art Farmer, Fred Hersch, Larry Coryell, Bill Evans, Michel Legrand, Bobby Watson, and Eddie Lockjaw Davis with Shirly Scott.

• My son and his wife are vacationing in Costa Rica. We've been getting pictures of the beautiful resort they're staying in and photos of the wildlife they've seen (an ocelot, sloths, snakes, etc.). We visited Costa Rica back in 2015, and we were very impressed (even me, who hates it when it gets too hot. It was in the '80s but felt great in the dead of winter). We'd love to go back - we've even thought of retiring down there.

So we're very envious of Nick and Lindsay this week - they were in the cloud forest and then will be heading onto Tamarindo, where we stayed when we went to Costa Rica. I suggest that everyone go there - it was fairly easy to fly down there . One caution - the roads get very bad very quickly down there. We tried a road that we couldn't navigate in our little Toyota - a 4x4 is recommended, although the streets can get very narrow, so it can be hard to get from one end of a street to another, even when there aren't cows walking down the street.

To celebrate not being in the cold weather, let's listen to some great music on my podcast, which features Joni Mitchell, Sharon Van Etten, Julia Holter, the Kitchens of Distinction, the Breeders, Bram Tchaikovsky, His Name is Alive, Colourbox, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Little Feat, the Band, and Leon Russell.

• It's coming on Valentine's Day. Hmm, it's been around a long time, and not just as a Hallmark day. Started out, naturally, as a Saint's Day (or 2 or 3 - lots of Valentinus were running around back in the day). Like most old saints, they were killed for their religious devotion, and not because they espoused romantic love (although one was arrested for marrying soldiers to women - the only good soldier is an unmarried one, in the good old days).

So the day was celebrated in honor of St. Valentine, and in the 14th Century it began taking on a romantic association that continues on to this day ( he said, compressing almost 700 years into a sentence). Hallmark just latched onto it in the spirit of Capitalism.

Anyway, with that in mind, I put together a setlist of songs that all feature kissing in a romantic setting. Enjoy your Valentine's Day by practicing what you hear today, which includes Prince, Tin Tin, Brian Ferry, Ike & Tina Turner, Bill Withers, Hot Chocolate, the Manhattans, Joni Mitchell, Alison Moyet, the Everly Brothers, Dwight Yoakam, Syl Johnson, the Replacements, Siouxsie & the Banshees, and Tom Jones.

•  

Happy President's Day. Let's...buy a car? Other than we need a day off in the winter, is there a true reason for President's Day? We celebrated Washington and Lincoln's birthdays back in the day - don't know if either was a real holiday ( school vacation generally fell around Washington's "real" birthday - February 22). Now President's day does generally fall at the beginning of the February school vacation - need a car? Don't know how the whole automobile sale on President's Day started - just a ploy to show the dealers' Red, White & Blue stuff to move vehicles during a slow winter period? Probably. I don't think that I've ever gotten a car during one of these sales events, and am not sure that the deal anyone will get is better during this sale than at other times. But...tell 'em George sent ya.

To celebrate the extra day off, listen to today's President's Day Sale podcast (and save big!) with Link Wray, Dr. John, Little Feat, Shelby Lynne, the Monkees, the Turtles, the Box Tops, the Lovin' Spoonful, the Rascals, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, the Four Tops, the Lazy Lies, Oliver Kennan, Toro Y Moi, and Pedro the Lion.

• edited February 2019

Sunrise is 6:30, so technically I got up after sunrise. The clouds are thick this morning, and there was a slight dusting overnight, so I am not seeing the sun itself. My car has fairy dust sprinkled on it, and should easily be cleaned off before I go anywhere.

It's already above freezing, so any precipitation should change to rain, which is predicted for the day - all day and into the night. It won't be too bad, though, and since there are tasks to do today (shopping and whatnot), I'll be out in it.

Outside my window, a dog is walking its human. It's an extremely large dog with a mind of its own, and the small woman behind the dog does her best to keep him on task, but there were days (especially when it was a large puppy) that the dog set the pace. It would sit down if it did not want to walk someplace, and no amount of tugging or speaking to it would make the dog move. It was kind of funny, but only because the dog could not be sweeter. All dogs should be so sweet. The dog loves me, and even though I try to keep my distance when I pass it, it insists on coming over to say hi.

Let's have some music to go with the winter interlude, which this week includes Stephen Stills, Poco, Chicago, the Byrds, the Rascals, China Moses, Al Green, Isobel Campbell, Grinderman, Mark Lanegan, Black Mountain, Faces, Free, and Mott the Hoople.

• There's an old saying (dates back to the 19th Century, apparently) that says March goes in like a lion and out like a lamb to predict the weather for the month. I suppose it's conditional: "if March goes in like a lion..." March 1 was pretty mild - what's the "March creeps in like a house cat" equivalent? "Dashes out like a mouse?" Friday was pretty mild, and yesterday's predicted snow didn't happen, so the old saw doesn't work this year. Usually, a mild winter like we've had means a rough March - we'll have to wait and see.

In like a lion describes this week's podcast. Got some great new music to be played to go with a killer run of classic tunes, so plug into the music which includes Yola, Steve Earle, Maria McKee, the Supreme Beings of Leisure, the War on Drugs, Future Islands, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, the Teardrop Explodes, Icicle Works, the Wonder Stuff, and the Mighty Lemon Drops.

• edited March 2019

So the recent articles I've read have told me that I'm not mad at Daylight Savings Time, but really I'm mad at Standard Time. Who told me that I was mad? I've gotten used to going to work in the dark and coming home at night in the dark - it's become a ritual of winter. How much does that change if we stay in Daylight Savings Time?

The push is on to stay on Daylight Savings Time and dump Standard Time, as if that will solve all of our problems. But what of the children who'll have to get the bus in the dark during the winter? Some people will get mad at that. And I'm sure there are traditionalists who'll be mad that we're "changing time" to suit our own needs.

I say let's do away with time altogether. Let's just make up our own times depending on how we feel. Sure, meetings will be difficult, and plane schedules might get messed up (standardizing times came about originally in part because of train schedules - some towns along a route were on different time zones, some off a half hour or forty-five minutes from the starting point, making it difficult to put together a coherent schedule ).

Time is arbitrary ( an argument I'll be making later as I turn 60 this year). I know that I am actually a very organized person who is good at ordering my life in timely segments, but let's do away with that and live free, away from the slavery of the convention of time.

Today's podcast, like most, is about an hour long. Not very free form, but a convention I'll follow. Listen keenly to John Mayall, Bobby Blue Bland, David Bromberg, the Blow Monkeys, the Beat, Bob Mould, Ladytron, the Knife, Hercules & Love Affair, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, and the Yardbirds.

• I hate St. Patrick's Day. We're not all Irish today, and never did I need an excuse to drink way more than I should have (those days are over now anyway).

So, on my name day, this is just an excuse for bad behavior. Local bars open early to serve beer, many before drunken parades. Stop! Let's bring the dignity back to this day and... I don't know. Just forget about, really. Let St. Patrick rest in peace.

So there will be no Irish music played today. Instead, listen to these great songs by non-Irish people like John Mayall, Bobby Blue Bland, David Bromberg, the Blow Monkeys, the Beat, Bob Mould, Ladytron, the Knife, Hercules & Love Affair, Jimi Hendrix, the Jeff Beck Group, and the Yardbirds. Fidelity's a bit off on my voice today - I'll have to check that out, but no one's there to hear me anyway.

• Well, I didn't expect my St. Patrick's Day thoughts to be such a hot take. I get it - some people like St. Paddy's Day. Like many celebrations, it does signify the beginning of Spring, which is March 20.

I was a little surprised to read that there is some actual opposition to the day - I guess the whole public drunkenness thing upsets more people than I would have thought. It's just a minor personal thing for this part-Irish Patrick-named guy.

It is spring - today temperatures should be in the 50's (and sunny!), a welcome change. We're going for a nice walk in nature today - you should, too. And please, why not bring some music with you? Let's celebrate spring with the Bangles, Jerry Harrison, Talk Talk, Yola, World Party, the Beau Brummels, the Beach Boys, Suzanne Vega, Xenoula, Vetiver, Martha & the Vandellas, Jackie Wilson, the Flamingos, and Sam Cooke.

• We're getting ready to close the first quarter of 2019 - went by quickly, didn't it? Is it that as we get older time speeds up (isn't that part of Einstein's theory)? The second quarter of the year I generally designate as spring. April showers bring May flowers and such. The second quarter actually includes the first day of summer (June 20), so it's not a perfect analogy, but in these parts, we usually wait until July 4 to really start having summer.

So, there you have it - Q1 is winter, Q2 is spring, Q3 is summer, and Q4 is fall (oh, I know Q4 is fall and the start of winter, but let's be optimistic and keep things simple). Agreed? Ok, next item on the agenda....

This week's podcast fits into the start of spring with Faces, Traffic, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, the Tubes, Richard Thompson, the Tom Robinson Band, Julia Jacklin, Sharon Van Etten, St. Vincent, the Staple Singers, the Soul Stirrers, Naomi Shelton, and the Como Mamas.

• edited April 2019

I generally don't feel like I'm getting old. Sure, with arthritis in the left knee I can have a slight limp after I sit for a while, but overall I still feel good. But, a week ago I went off to fetch something down the hill at my house, and it was still very slippery, so I took a fall. An old man fall. I landed on my left elbow, which sent pain through my shoulder. The pain only lasted a day or so, then went away as most pain does for me.

Yesterday I was doing some work in the basement, slinging boxes around and cleaning up, when I wrenched my left shoulder again, and the pain returned. Not the slight pain I feel sometimes when I aggravate an old injury, but the full pain came right back, and now it hurts whenever I move my arm, which I do on a regular basis. I wasn't aware how much I moved my left arm, and even trying to limit how much I use it, it moves a lot.

I don't think the pain means that there is anything structurally wrong - it's just a slight pull, so I won't be checking in with the doctor, who'd only tell me to take the Advil that I'm already taking (if there is any relief, it's slight). It'll be fine, it's just that I wonder if these nagging little injuries that I shrugged off when younger is a sign of the body not healing as quickly as it used to. Welcome to old age (former) young man.

Let's rely on the healing power of music. The tunes I chose for today do have healing properties, with Cassandra Wilson, Little Milton, Led Zeppelin, Diana Ross, Morcheeba, Hooverphonic, Letters to Cleo, Veruca Salt, Luscious Jackson, the Breeders, Earl King with Roomful of Blues, and Van Morrison.

• Tax Day is coming up - hope everyone has filed. I do my taxes fairly early, and since I usually pay in, I file at the last possible minute. I try to make sure that I don't pay in  a lot, but why let the government have your money for free? Sure, getting money back is always fun, but it just means that you put extra money in that was held for you without you getting any interest on the account. 

Because of Patriot's Day (no, Massachusetts isn't celebrating the football team), we get an extra day to file taxes. That won't happen again for a few years, as the 15th will be on a Wednesday next year, which will be the week before Patriot's Day in 2020. Tax Day being close to when the Revolutionary War started is...something.

Let's avoid taxes by listening to music (or preparing your taxes, or shipping them off) with Gene Clark, the Lovin' Spoonful, Stephen Stills, Spirit, Paul Weller, the Action, Ocean Colour Scene, the Charlatans, David Byrne, Fleetwood Mac, the Chills, Split Enz, the Go-Betweens, Little Feat, and the Kinks.

• Holidays have become times for visiting family, and we'll be heading off to visit my son and his wife. So I'm going to post this early, as my Sunday will be busy with an Easter egg hunt and whatnot.

Have a happy Easter! And why not start with music from Echo & the Bunnymen, Canned Heat, Chris Isaak, Joan Armatrading, Christine & the Queens, the English Beat, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed, Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators, Syl Johnson, Saun & Starr, James Carr, Paul Simon, and Van Morrison.

• Hi, this is a little late today as I had problems with the microphone (I know, I know, beyond my normal problems). I cleaned everything up this morning and it seems to work. So I was able to get the podcast done for today. Mission accomplished. Makes me feel good to be able to find something broken and find a way to fix it. I was ready to abandon the podcast for today if I couldn't get it fixed. Next question is whether I need to actually get a new microphone or not - probably do.

We can figure this out while listening to Jenny Lewis, Joe Jackson, U2, Iggy Pop, the Coasters, Suzanne Vega, Sleeper, Los Lobos, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Alan Price, the Clash, Lloyd Cole, and Warren Zevon.

• I don't want to spoil anything by saying this, but are we actually starting to experience this phenomenon called sping? Temperatures were in the 60's here yesterday, and there was even a giant yellow orb sighting later in the day. Looking at the upcoming week I see other numbers that go into the 60's (alas, with few visits from the giant yellow orb - where does the sun go during the spring?). I'm going to call it - it really is spring (mud season is probably gone now).

Not sure how spring-y this music is - many tunes were thought about during the dark times, but heck - let's call it a round-up of spring tunes. So listen to the warmer music of Yes, Roxy Music, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Robert Plant & Alsion Krauss, Toussaint McCall, the Rascals, the Strangeloves, Ike & Tina Turner, Maria Muldaur, Ricki Lee Jones, David Bowie, Alex Chilton, and Ian Hunter.

• Sping? Sping can really hang you up the most...  :p
  • Nothing is so beautiful as spring. -Hopkins

A cold spring:
    the violet was flawed on the lawn.
  • Spring is often beautiful,
    but spings can be a pain.
    It's a "phenomenon" I'd
    rather not experience. 
  • Last week I saw a tweet that showed the top 20 songs from the first week of May 1969. "Hmm," I thought, "I do a look back at music for certain years, what's on this list?" I was happily surprised to see that I had most of these songs, so I decided that this would be a great podcast. Here are the results.

The musical Hair was Broadway's big show, but the soundtrack was not spawning a lot of AM hits. So bands like the Fifth Dimension and the Cowsills stepped in and recorded songs form the musical which became big hits (as well as Three Dog Night's version of "Easy to Be Hard" and Oliver's "Good Morning Starshine."). It's great to see so many songs from different genres being played on the radio.

So step into the time machine and set it back 50 years to listen to the top 16 hits for the first week of May 1969, which had The Fifth Dimension, the Isley Brothers, the Cowsills, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Jerry Butler, Booker T. and the MG's, Timmy James, the Ventures, Simon & Garfunkel, Glen Campbell, Tommy Roe, Crazy Elephant, Edwin Starr, the Guess Who, Mercy, and Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Band.

• edited May 2019
    That takes me back bremble. It was the year I was doing my A levels (final school exams taken at 18) starting around that month
  • Happy Mother's Day to all the moms (and moms to be) out there. If it weren't for you, not only wouldn't we be here, but you acted as a moral compass for us. Thank you for everything.

Let's celebrate with some fine music. There's a chance to dance ealry on - dance with your mom today, with music from Ibibio Sound Machine, Nubiyan Twist, Marvin Gaye, Rose Elinor Dougall, the Rascals, Fleetwood Mac, Relatively Clean Rivers, the Animals, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, Scott Walker, Rachel Sweet, and Romeo Void.

• Tonight is the finale of Game of Thrones. I don't watch a lot of television, but one of the shows I do watch is Game of Thrones. Thing is, I'm not obsessed with it as many seem to be. It's an enjoyable little show that has been a little disappointing in its desire to wrap things up (perhaps they shouldn't have had shows in earlier seasons where the plot wasn't advanced all that much). It is pretty rushed at this point compared to earlier, and so it hasn't been as satisfying. I will point out that there have been a bunch of dramatic switcheroos that were sudden and not foreshadowed (loss of major character in season 1; red wedding, etc.), so it's not like the element of surprise hasn't been used to dramatically shift the show.

The show was fine, but it doesn't really measure up as one of the best shows ever on television. It was fun, but I won't miss it after it's gone. To prepare for tonight's finale, let's take an hour break to listen to music that in no way has anything to do with Westeros. Let's dig Stephen Stills, Scott Walker, Julian Cope, Kevin Ayers, Laura Nyro, Three Dog Night, the Fifth Dimension, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chase, the Buckinghams, Chicago, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Gillian Welch, Galley Beggar, Steve Martin & Edie Brickell, Carolina Chocolate Drops, and Ollabelle.

• Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Had a great night last night with friends (why am I now hesitant to say old friends? Long-time friends, maybe?). It was a little cool last night, but overall the weather is cooperating with us on this long weekend.

Let's continue the Memorial Day the right way, with music to listen to as you prepare for the day, with music from Elvis Costello, the Creatures, the Orange Juice, Rose Elinor Dougall, Edwin Starr, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Joe Tex, Sharon Van Etten, Captains if Industry, the Del Fuegos, Tribe, Koko Taylor, John Mayall, and Buddy Guy.

• I've had this one in the can for a while. 1999 is a hard year for me - I wasn't listening to many of the songs from that period. And sure, I liked the top song of 1999 - Cher's Believe - but that doesn't mean that I have it ( or the desire to get it). I do have some of the bands "of that era" as part of the mix, but many of the songs are from the old standby's who made new music that year.

So let's sit back and listen to an old guy's version of music from 1999, with Beth Orton, Richard Thompson, Los Lobos, the Latin Playboys, Blur, the Fountains of Wayne, Magnetic Fields, Sleater-Kinney, Pavement, Marshall Crenshaw, XTC, Tom Waits, and Van Morrison.