I started a podcast

Comments

• 1970 was a great year for music. The post-Woodstock hangover hadn't quite hit yet - most of this music was probably recorded during 1969, before the hangover, or even in 1970, when the realization that it was the end of an era hadn't occurred. When I think back on that time (let's see, how many years ago was that? Yikes - too many), most of my listening was based on AM radio. I was buying singles (45's - remember those?) and maybe some albums, but mostly based on music heard on AM radio.

Still, even on AM radio music was varied - bubblegum pop, rock, soul, country - all the genres were still played on a regular basis, so I heard a wide swath of music. In putting together this podcast, I found that there was too much to choose from, so I split the 1970 podcast into 3 different podcasts (and there may be a 4th - there was that much fantastic music). First up, solid rock (FM edition). The other two I've done are soul and AM pop music. Even then, I left off music that is great, and I may return by year's end.

Today let's listen to these all-time artists: Van Morrison, George Harrison, the Doors, The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Derek & the Dominoes, Delaney & Bonnie, the Band, Three Dog Night, Argent, and Rod Stewart.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer - iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too - leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• Bonus day!
  • A Federal holiday since 1894, Labor Day celebrates the American Labor movement, which includes unions (trade unionists fought to get a day set aside for laborers). Really, it's the end of the summer celebration. Schools are starting back up, and it's about the time that we see a change in weather (in the more northern climes, anyway.). So as the 4th of July is seen as the beginning of summer (school's out), Labor Day ends it.

I hope everyone's made it thorough the pandemic summer with their health intact, and we have to be sure that we continue to be vigilant. Summer was supposed to be a weakening of the pandemic, but it's kept up. Let's hope flu season isn't flu and COVID season.

Let's get the party going with this week's podcast, which starts out political and goes on from there, with David Bowie, Elvis Costello, the Smithereens, Crowded House, Sam Phillips, Shelby Lynne, the Bamboos, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, the Heavy, Gregg Allman, Wet Willie, and the North Mississippi All-Stars.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer - iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too - leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• Around these parts (in America), it’s usually Memorial Day to Labor Day as “summer.”
    Props to our friends in unions - what’s left of them...
  • I keep reminding myself not to get excited about the return of football. Sports have been a welcome distraction in this time of staying home all the time. But while I've enjoyed the NBA bubble success, the same can't be said about baseball.

I know part of it is due to the team for whom I root is a disaster this year (not even Mookie would have saved it, but I fell that it was part of the plan), but I've gotten less interested in baseball overall. Used to be my favorite sport. How will football look this year, and will the joy of seeing men hit each other bring the enjoyment that it used to bring?

I'll give it the old college try (wait, many of them aren't playing), well, we'll see how it goes today. Whether football catches back on with me, or I drift away and think of all the negatives about football, which ends my fandom, will be seen.

It's a big brunch Sunday here, so as we're making food let's listen to the new podcast, which features Lydia Loveless, Sam Phillips, the Paladins, NRBQ, the Jaggerz, Ben Folds Five, Cake, Beck, Blackie & the Rodeo Kings, Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam, Joy of Cooking, Eddie Floyd, the Cardigans, and Katrina & the Waves.

• Part 2 of 1970's best music. We're focusing on soul music in this one. We had new bands (the Jackson Five, old artists breaking away from bands (Diana Ross), and other stars stepping up (Stevie Wonder, etc.). It was just a very fertile time.

So let's get groovy and listen to these artists in Part 2: the Jackson Five, Stevie Wonder, Charles Wright, Chairmen of the Board, Sly & the Family Stone, Ike & Tina Turner, the Temptations, B.B. King, the Five Stairsteps, the Delfonics, Dionne Warwick, Freda Payne, Tyrone Davis, Brook Benton, and Diana Ross.

• edited September 2020

I'm taking a vacation - finally. It's been a long time since I've had a full week off. We may go somewhere as well for a couple of days - weird in this new world. It's not a great time for me to be out at work - I've been doing tons of stuff to make sure that missing work will be minimal. I've got four closings that I'm working on - 2 that don't really need me at this point, one that will be later in the year, and one more immediate one that is hopefully on a good course without my input for a week.

Of course, music will be highlighted during vacation, so let's start the week off with music by Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Jarvis Cocker, Caribou, Tune-Yards, TV on the Radio, Tamaryn, Asobi Seksu, Dum Dum Girls, Lydia Loveless, Doris Duke, and Irma Thomas.

• Shh - I'm pretending that this isn't the last day of my vacation - it's Sunday, after all. Had a good time - went up to Rockland, ME for a couple of days, and communed with nature. More next week.

It's Sunday (again), so I do have music for y'all, with John Lennon, Fats Domino, the Guess Who, Dusty Springfield, Bobby Charles, Charlie Rich, Levon Helm, Jonathan Richman, the Selector, Bad Manners, Paul Weller, Isobel Campbell, and Anna Burch.

• Masks...just masks. And while masked up, listen to today's podcast, featuring Beth Orton, Everything But the Girl, Human Sexual Response, Barrence Whitfield & Mambo Jambo, Screaming Blue Messiahs, Guadacanal Diary, Game Theory, Foxpalmer, Sam Phillips, Elvis Costello, John Hiatt, Del Shannon, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, and Elvis Presley.

• Hi, here's the third of the 1970 podcasts I've done. This one focuses on radio hits from 1970 - back when radio still played all sorts of different music. I mean, really: "Lola was a hit on AM radio, and the Kinks got in trouble, not for the subject matter, but because they had to change the lyrics from Coca Cola to cherry cola because the BBC didn't allow "product placement" in their songs (ok, the song was banned in places due to the subject matter, but not in Farmington, Maine, which did later ban the song Lady Marmalade).

So let’s listen back to songs that were on the radio 50 years ago, shall we, with songs from The Kinks, Sugarloaf, Rare Earth, Vanity Faire, Norman Greenbaum, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Tee Set, Chicago, the Ides of March, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Alive ‘n’ Kickin’, the Shocking Blue, the Friends of Distinction, Neil Diamond, and the Hollies.

• Long weekend - last time to enjoy decent weather in the Northeast? Perhaps. Big birthday month - mine and many others (happy birthday to everyone with birthdays in the month - as you know, I'm generally bad at wishing people birthdays, so let this work as a general happy birthday).

Celebrating birthdays mean music, so let's celebrate somebody's birthday with The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Primal Scream, The Dandy Warhols, Blur, Morcheeba, Stereolab, Timex Social Club, Mtume, the Gap Band, Blondie the Ramones, and Buzzcocks.

• The 1960s was a great era of protest music. People were trying to stop the Vietnam War, civil rights had taken center stage, and many other ills of society were highlighted in some of the great songs from the 1960s. We haven't seen protest music like that since the 1970s.

Until now. This year has been polarizing, which leads to anger, and the result is a set of new protest songs. I think it was the release of the new Bob Mould album that made me wonder what other protest songs had been released this year., so I googled protest songs 2020 and got some lists. I was (mildly) surprised to see how many of these I had already purchased, and put together this protest podcast. We're talking about anger against people in charge, a woman's right to choose, and the systemic racism that remains in America today.

Let's stick it to the man and protest along with Drive-By-Truckers, Jason Isbell, Amanda Shires, Ronnie Earl, Robert Cray, Brittany Howard, Run the Jewels, Bob Mould, Childish Gambino, the Killers, Sinead O'Connor, Lucinda Williams, and Dave Douglas.

• How’s everyone feeling? I feel pretty good, considering. It’s been a long year for me. I’ve gotten a new knee (left), a torn meniscus (right knee), and some glaucoma-related eye problems, so I’m doing well. I guess that I’m starting to feel my age a little more. I’ll “celebrate” another one this week, but honestly, I’m not sick, everything works in my body (no restrictions), so I’ve got no complaints. Hope everyone else is doing at least as well as I am.

To celebrate another fine Sunday (in my area, anyway), let’s listen to this new set of music I’ve put together for your pleasure, with Lynn Collins, Black Joe Lewis, Sharon Jones, Shemekia Copeland, the Pretenders, the Cars, the Fixx, Robert Ellis Orrall, U2, In Living Colour, Dave Edmunds, David Bowie, the Kinks, the New York Dolls, Brian Protheroe, and the Beatles.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer – iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too – leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• Hi. Let’s listen to some jazz, shall we? I’ve put together a set of music released in 2020 and recorded for release in 2020 (no lost sessions or anything). There are great tunes from new jazz artists and the old-timers, who show us that they’ve still got the chops.

Lined up for today are Nubya Garcia, Orrin Evans, Joshua Redman, Eddie Henderson, John Scofield, I Think You’re Awesome, Tony Allen & Hugh Masakela, and Christian Sands.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer – iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too – leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• As local newscasters like to say, it’s spooky season. Yes, Halloween is once again upon us, but it will be a lot different this year. The pandemic is stopping trick or treating this year in most places (I believe that locally it is officially “discouraged” in most of the surrounding area), so I’m not sure what will happen this year. Alternate Halloween parties probably won’t fly, either. So this year it looks like the kids lose their too much candy ritual.

Some people put together a Halloween mix (“The Monster Mash,” anyone), but I’ll stick to a more normal mix of tunes, with Steve Earle, TV on the Radio, Arcade Fire, Aztec Camera, World Party, Sinead O’Connor, The Sundays, Liz Phair, Beck, Gorillaz, Gnarls Barkley, Faith No More, Franz Ferdinand, and Bob Mould.

• November..sigh. Did we ever think that we’d make it to November? The “summer to remember” was not memorable for the right reasons. We’re now heading into a “winter to remember.” Probably as memorable (and miserable) as summer was. Let’s do our best and be careful out there.

There was snow in the Boston area on Friday, but further north we didn’t get any (that stayed). Just another odd bit of weather this year. Rainy and 50’s forecast for this afternoon and we’re promised 60’s for the end of the week. Ah, weather.

Oh yeah, VOTE! Vote as if your lives depended on it (and it might). Tuesday’s a very important election, but no victory will change our situation in the short-run. We need to stay safe now that the weather is forcing us inside more.

To help keep you entertained while waiting in line, listen to today’s podcast, with Shakey Graves, Gossip !!!, Mexican Institute of Sound, Nona Hendryx, Steve Arrington, Lou Rawls, Marvin Gaye, the Bangles Paul Revere & the Raiders, the Pretty Things, the Kinks, the Hollies, Robyn Hitchcock, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, and Drive-By Truckers.

• Got some more jazz for you today. We need a jazz break today, I think. Something to take us out of the world for a bit. This is a mix of classic and new jazz, with most of the hard edges taken off.

So listen to John Zorn, Artemis, the Christian McBride Big Band, Bobby Watson, Carla Bley, Jimmy Heath, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, Moses Boyd, and Duke Pearson.

• That’s right – temperatures in the 70’s this weekend. Happens every November, doesn’t it? It’s supposed to stay warm through Veteran’s Day. Totally normal. Just as I was getting used to scraping the ice off my car off in the morning.

We’ve got a new President in the United States. He’ll bring a sense of normalcy back to the office, but will much be able to get done if he has a Republican Senate? I say no (and so will they). Got Georgia on my mind.

I’ve got lots of good music to get me through this Sunday – more yard work in store for me today. So let’s listen to Toots & the Maytals, My Morning Jacket, R.E.M., Brinsley Schwartz, Flip City, Sinead O’Connor, John Foxx & the Banbury Circle, Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Byrds, Love, NRBQ, Dwight Twilley, and Dr. Feelgood.

• edited November 2020
    @bremble reading your band list reminds me that here in Melbourne (Australia) we've had compulsory mask wearing for the last 4 months and this will likely continue for another couple of months or more.

Creating opportunity out of adversity, I am proud wearer of a Love "Forever Changes" face mask!

• edited November 2020
    Last month, someone I know sent me a link to specially made facemasks.
    He highlighted mostly jazz artists (Coltrane, Miles, Mingus, ...),
    but at this link you can put in a search term to find something you may like.
  • edited November 2020
    @rostasi thanks and that looks really good.

In case you or others are interested, the one I've been using for rock t-shirts and face masks is Redbubble.

https://www.redbubble.com

My best combo is The Doors first album matching t-shirt and mask!
  • I make my own t-shirt artworks. As a matter of fact, I have 4 more arriving on Wednesday. There's another site I found a while back that takes any kind of simple design; reproduces it multiple times to create a pattern, then transfers it to any kind of, usually wearable, surface.
  • edited November 2020
    I love that facemask peterfrederics! One of my top ten albums of all time!

My one and only comment on the recent election - the TV coverage in the UK was more than I have ever seen for an election outside the UK, so much interest, and, I get the impression, most people, myself included, are delighted with the outcome
  • I am firmly in the slighty over 50% of the US that is similarly delighted!
  • @greg, Australia is like the UK in that it has a totally independent electoral commission so no concerns about fraudulent voting or cheating. The other strange thing is that we have compulsory voting, in fact you get fined if you don't vote! Our voting turnout is consistently just below 90%.
  • I got nothing – what do you have? Today’s podcast focuses on nothing, with lots of something great artists, like Van Morrison, Small Faces, Los Lobos, Bonnie Raitt, the Alley Cats, Roky Erickson, Guided by Voices, Pavement, Tommy Keene, Dum Dum Girls, the Heavy, the Specials, the Del Fuegos, the Flirtations, Sade, and Sinead O’Connor.

• We raked leaves in October. The ground was pretty bare afterward. This weekend we're raking leaves. The ground is full of leaves - oak leaves. Why do oak trees hold their leaves after the maple and other trees have all lost theirs? Just to make us rake leaves multiple times? I'm not a big acorn fan, either, oak trees.

I suppose that we're lucky to have a lot with a lot of different mature trees. We have cut back on trees through the years - old, dying trees that threatened our car and house (got lucky with a limb that barely missed the roof and side of the house). Maybe we should look at some of the oak trees if they won't cooperate with when they need to shed their leaves in the fall. "You shed earlier or maybe you'll have a date with a chainsaw" - do you think that would be persuasive? The pine trees are no fun, either.

What helps me get through raking and bagging leaves? Music. This week we're listening to a diverse set of music that includes the Latin Playboys, the Ramones, the Clash, the Doors, Peter Gabriel, Los Lobos, Gravel, the Divine Comedy, It's A Beautiful Day, Electric Light Orchestra, the Lovin' Spoonful, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Mike Nesmith, and Emmylou Harris.

• edited November 2020
    I must have more leaves because my retro yard work playlist seems substantially longer:  

The Stills-Young Band, Elvis Presley, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Teenage Fanclub, Jackson Browne, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Prince & The Revolution, Grateful Dead, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, The Five Stairsteps & Cubie, Miracle Legion, Nada Surf, The Feelies, Robert Cray, Syl Johnson, Bird of Youth, Billy Cobham, Shawn Lee & Fanny Franklin, Cat Power, Barbara Lynn, The Rolling Stones, Gil Scott-Heron, The Lemonheads, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Anderson East, American Music Club, Bent Shapes, The Figgs, Paul Revere & The Raiders feat. Mark Lindsay, The Replacements, Nick Lowe, Matthew Sweet, Neil Young, Harvey Danger, Tedeschi Trucks Band, R.E.M., The Suffers, The Madeira, Fitz and the Tantrums, Lee Fields, Robert Pollard, Rodriguez, Tim Buckley, Van Morrison, World Party, X, Yo La Tengo, Joe Jackson, Marshall Crenshaw, Pavement, Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, Elvis Costello, Aimee Mann, Amy Winehouse, The Beach Boys, The Beatles.

Take care.

• Oh, there has been and will be plenty of other songs - part 2 today.