What are you listening to right now? (15 Flies in the Marmalade)

Comments

• Ejigayehu "Gigi" Shibabaw
    Another beautiful voice and Bill Laswell.
    Terrific!
  • edited July 2017

Povl Dissing & Burnin Red Ivanhoe - Wallifanten

• Frank Ocean - Blonde
  • Adele -19
  • Chicago Transit Authority

Just finished this. Another all time favourite from the late 60s/early 70s. I wish I could find a contemporary band playing equivalent rock music influenced by jazz. Any suggestions?

I've now just started
    A Portrait of Chet

•  httpsf4bcbitscomimga0815289352_14jpg
    released May 12, 2017 on Cuneiform
  • @greg Fun question. Chicago was a bit of anomaly at the time, what with jazz being declared dead and all.

Of course, jazz artists were busily covering rock tunes. My dad loved this one from the Buddy Rich big band:

(He liked Chicago, too.) Latin-flavored bands still had horn sections of course. Here's a great overlooked one:

The other band talked about as having a jazz influence is Steely Dan, but they're a entirely different matter

• The Smiths - Rank
  • Cobalt- Slow Forever
  • Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
  •  
    Taken from the album UUUU. Released as 2LP & Download
    Released by: Editions Mego
    Release date: 6 October 2017

• From 2000
    Merge Records
    Third Eye Foundation mastermind Matt Elliot moves resolutely into new territory with each record and "Little Lost Soul" may be his most stunning progression yet, a dreamy, occasionally lush, always captivating album. 'Drum-and-Bass' is far too limiting a label for this music. Elliot constructs his songs from samples, found sounds, and traditional instrumentation, resulting in a unique electronic music that feels completely organic.
  • edited July 2017
    just one more...

Animals As Leaders - Weightless
    Bandcamp

Ps I really enjoyed this. Some terrific guitar work by Tosin Abasi and lots of energy.
    Wikipedia
  • A nice dream guitar and synth ambient excursion from around 1983 discovered on my F: drive this morning.

No ring wear on digital copies mind ;-)
  • djhdjh
    edited July 2017
    And moving about eight years further back some greasy jazz rock funk on the Flying Dutchman label. Cover of the morning I think.

How can the rest of my day match up to this?

The title track is where it's at for the sleazy fusion, the rest of the album is all over the stylistic map, trying to front load the record with something that might sell when in reality its a sorta big band record.

• Thanks Doofy, I'll follow those up. Miles Davis' Bitches Brew was rock influenced, but in a different way. I'm looking for rock bands with a strong jazz influence in terms of horns etc. Another band from the late 60s was Blood Sweat and Tears, particularly when Al Kooper was still with them

Blood Sweat  Tears

• 2814 - Rain Temple

Leyland Kirby - Sadly the future no longer is what it was.
  • Charlemagne Palestine - Strumming Music
  • Thanks for the discussion of Chicago and Blood Sweat & Tears; being both on Columbia I'm going to check them both out with Freegal. I was going to ask what Chicago album to get, but on reading that Hendrix and later the noise music genre (!?) were influenced by "Free Form Guitar" I'm sold on Chicago Transit Authority.

Speaking of noise, now playing Spiral by Puce Mary.
  • edited July 2017
    @greg How could I have forgotten BS&T? (My dad liked them too.)

I'm accustomed to remembering Chicago mainly for their later lite rock schlock, but looking back, there are some solid tunes.

No horns, but a handful of Beach Boys on moody background vocals

Socko horns at the end to close the LP, which I owned once!

Discography is crazy - I count 15 albums 1969-80, including several multi-disc sets

• V/a Flying Nun - Tuatara
  • some of v/a Eccentric Soul Omnibus

• from Bandcamp
    For much of the new century, San Francisco artist, painter and musician Marc Manning has been releasing fuzzy, dreamy soundscapes on labels like Sleep Genius, Dragons Eye Recordings and Tract Records. The Stars are Burning Out is a dark, beautiful collection of music marked by distant voices, washes of guitar and searching feedback. 
    released April 21, 2015
  • edited July 2017
    From the New & Notable releases Aug 2015

Olivia Block - Aberration of Light

Ps. Wow, second listen is even better than the first and that was terrific. 
This discussion has been closed.