Bargains on the new eMusic

Comments

• Welcome - downloaded that before it evaporates at that price!  Thanks so much.   stewrat
  • And the Black Box Recorder set is now unavailable. Thanks for the heads up, gotta be quick.
  • https://www.emusic.com/library/album/889666

Chimes of Freedom, 4-disc collection of Bob Dylan covers. I'm sure it's hit or miss but at $6.49 for 76 tracks I'll take my chances.
  • I bought the Chimes of Freedom set when it came out, a great value at that price. A major highlight, Johnny Cash & The Avett Brothers, One Too Many Mornings. Bettye LaVette's Most of the Time is great as well.

Weirdest cover, Miley Cyrus, You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome....  It is actually guite good.

• edited July 2018
    Perhaps a minor bargain compared to some, but I have spent way too much time recently reading online discussions of the best recordings of Bach's cello suites. Some of the very good ones are on emusic, and Pierre Fournier's version, though from an older generation of recordings, still seems very highly regarded by many. This version includes it in a twofer with Tortelier's version (also older, also has some good reviews). Both together for $6.49, four and a half hours. It's not the latest and most exciting/historically informed, but if you want a revered older version and another to compare it with there are worse places to start. More recent versions of the suites are typically $12-$16 at emusic. (The booster sale has helped me collect several.) (ETA: FWIW, perhaps the best price on a recent and highly regarded set is the Enders one for $6.99 or the Jaap Ter Linden one at $4.99 (cheaper but perhaps more idiosyncratic or a little more of an acquired taste than the Enders. I think the rest of the really good ones are more expensive, IIRC.)
  • A jazz collection:
    Red Records 35th Anniversary (Various Artists, including e.g. Fred Hersch, Joe Henderson, Bobby Watson, Cedar Walton, Charlie Rouse, Phil Woods, etc.)
    3 hours for $4.99.

• I am picking through the Ocora Radio France label (assuming they might disappear any moment). If you enjoy "world music" this is the label to explore. Most full albums are only $4.99, but there are a few bargains:

Mongolia - Mongolie: Shamans & Lamas, 99 cents

• I like listening to the Ocora online stream that you can access here.
    Kinda makes it easier than having to pull the LPs out to listen (tho,
    yes, you won't have liners to peruse). If you have a setup (like Sonos)
    that allow you to access TuneIn stations, then that could be a bonus.
  • *Not eMusic* but Amazon (which presumably still pays labels/artists)

2 Ts for a Lovely T

2 Ts for a Lovely T - Cecil Taylor Feel Trio. Ten discs/7 hours of the good stuff, Cecil backed by William Parker and Tony Oxley back in 1990(?). Looks like it can be found on Spotify too
  • Doofy said:

2 Ts for a Lovely T - Cecil Taylor Feel Trio. Ten discs/7 hours of the good stuff, Cecil backed by William Parker and Tony Oxley back in 1990(?).
    I think I bought that on 7-Digital many years ago.  Worth the price.
  • edited August 2018
    In the "1960s/70s PROGRESSIVE ROCK ON EMUSIC" @Plong42 posted about a label called "Rdeg".   I haven't been out to the eMusic site for any length of time for a very long time.  Based on Plong42's comment I decided to check out what was available from that label.  I had a laugh at some of the albums I saw there (I actually saw 4-5 that I recognized (and unfortunately own) from my vinyl record store cut-out bin adventures back in the day).

However, there are some truly great albums available.  The two Planet-P Project albums ($6.49 each):

And these by Fingerprintz ($4.49 ea) (@bremble) .  I may even have to rejoin eMusic to legitimize my current digital version of Distinguishing Marks (as well as to pick up digital copies of the others):

• Hey - I've got all 3 of the Fingerprintz albums. Thanks.
  • Interesting, those Fingerprintz albums are no longer available, at least in the UK. The two Planet-P Project are available here, I quite liked the samples, but the prices are very different at £6.72 and £10.92. I've added to my Wish List for later, thanks

Luddite - if you do want to rejoin, it might be worth looking at the cheapest route in, then buying Boosters as they are so cheap at the moment.
  • Several deals on Robert Wyatt:

Different Every Time, 2CD compilation, $6.99 (pitchfork review)

Rock Bottom, $2.49

Shleep, $4.99

• edited August 2018
    Plong42 said:
    Several deals on Robert Wyatt:
    NA in €urope . . . Just curious, What are the label(s) ?
  • Plong42 said:
    Several deals on Robert Wyatt:
    NA in €urope . . . Just curious, What are the label(s) ?
    Domino Recording Co.
  • Mississippi Blues, 37 tracks and 1:47 hours of music by Various Artists, 99 cents.

If you want more, American Primitive, The Complete Recordings, 3.5+ hours, $4.99

Three hours of Woody Guthrie, The Father Of American Folk, 99 cents.

• I'd have bought that Mississippi Blues album at 99p, but it is £15.74 here: at Booster rates it would still be £7 or £8 to me, almost certainly  cheaper elsewhere. We've not had Domino since the majors joined eMusic, quite a few years back now.
  • Sorry for frustrating people outside of NA with these bargains. Occasionally there is a good deal which is only for Europe.
  • I agree, overall we do benefit from album pricing particularly when there are a few tracks. It can also help to know some of these albums do exist to buy elsewhere!
  • Plong42 said:
    Sorry for frustrating people outside of NA with these bargains. Occasionally there is a good deal which is only for Europe.
    And sometimes those NA bargains point to things that have a similar price (though seldom as cheap) on 7digital over here.

For example on 7digital:
    • Mississippi Blues, £1.99
    • American Primitive, The Complete Recordings, £5.49

• Getting harder to find good deals on the remaining content on Emusic, but this one's fairly promising - almost 8 hours of live music by some of the best artists of the 80's for $6.49 :

https://www.emusic.com/album/182787615/Various-Artists/Live-Aid-Live-13th-July-1985
  • edited September 2018
    Oops!
  • The great "Live Aid" concert from 1985. Nearly 8 hours of music for $6.49 including the excellent Queen performance. 

https://www.emusic.com/album/182787615/Various-Artists/Live-Aid?album_ref=Serach

• edited September 2018
    There are some really good Jazz albums (they're marked as singles but are actually albums) on the HDL label at 99 cents each. Many of them are well known albums shown under different titles.

Examples are: 

1. McCoy Turner      "You Taught My Heart To Sing" actually "Live At The Musicians" Exchange Cafe"
    https://www.emusic.com/album/3032882/You-Taught-My-Heart-to-Sing?album_ref=Search

2. Buddy Rich   "Buddy's Rock" actually "Lionel Hampton Presents Buddy Rich" https://www.emusic.com/album/1995225/Buddy-Rich/Buddys-Rock?album_ref=Search

3. Gerry Mulligan Septet   "Gerry Meets Hamp" actually "Lionel Hampton Presents Gerry Mulligan
    https://www.emusic.com/album/2221257/Gerry-Mulligan-Septet/Gerry-Meets-Hamp?album_ref=Serach

4. Terumasa Hito  "Kimiko" actually "Live in Warsaw" https://www.emusic.com/album/358801/Terumasa-Hino/Kimiko?album_ref=Serach

• There's a Love Language album that listed as a single, as it is currently .99, but it is the Deluxe version of Ruby Red (Ruby Red Deluxe), with 21 tracks. 
  • bremble said:
    There's a Love Language album that listed as a single, as it is currently .99, but it is the Deluxe version of Ruby Red (Ruby Red Deluxe), with 21 tracks. 

Thanks, nice catch !
  • edited October 2018
    That Live Aid album is £39.06 in the UK, but I am almost tempted even at that price. With boosters it would only cost me around £18-£20 in cash terms. At the time I recorded some of it onto cassette tape from FM radio - I did make a donation! The only thing that is stopping me downloading is that it is almost certainly not an official release, as it was never issued in audio format. So I suspect someone has downloaded from the 2004 DVD set. Therefore the charity will get nothing from it. I do have a memory of Mick Jagger and David Bowie singing Martha Vandella's Dancing in the Street. I must be wrong as Bowie was in London and Jagger in Philadelphia (Phil Collins used Concorde to play at both venues!)

Whatever, those concerts were one of the high-points of Rock Music!
  • I take some of the above back! Amazon have it available as an mp3, actually at a cheaper price to eMusic - £31.96 compared to £39.06. I'll buy from Amazon, at least the money should go to the charity!