Bargains on the new eMusic

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Chopin piano works played by Rubinstein, $6.99 for 6 hours plus. (Or here on another label, same price)
  • Or you could always get the Chopin Complete Edition, 19 hours for $6.99, various artists.
  • Grammy-winning, positively reviewed complete set of Beethoven sonatas played by Garrick Ohlssen, 11 hours for $6.99. ($54 at Amazon)
    (Allmusic: "performed with the utmost precision, attention to detail, and clarity -- all hallmarks of Ohlsson's playing")
    I was going to do my comedy moan that this would cost me £42.84 on Emu; so I looked at Presto Classical who only have a digital version. The FLAC you'll be pleased to hear; can be mine for just £99.36 or £70.97 for the mp3 (at whatever respective rates...)
    "Ooof!" as I believe the expression goes. And this for a 2014 release of ultra mainstream - been recorded a thousand times - material. Someone is getting burned and it isn't the lovers of left field "difficult" modern "classical"! (This time).
  • edited October 2017
    Ah digging through the Brilliant Classics label. A great way to avoid grading papers this rainy afternoon. 

W.F. Bach: Complete Harpsichord Music, 8+ hours for $8.99

I was just thinking to myself, I need 700+ tracks of Telemann in my life...

Telemann Edition, Vol. 1, almost 9 hours for $8.99
    Telemann Edition, Vol. 2, 10+ hours for $8.99
    Telemann Edition, Vol. 3, 10+ hours for $8.99
    Telemann Edition, Vol. 4, 6+ hours for $8.99

A review of Telemann Editions, "This Telemann Edition should be a cornerstone to any collection of Baroque music."  EDIT:  Here is another more detailed review of this set. 
  • djh said:
    The FLAC you'll be pleased to hear; can be mine for just £99.36 or £70.97 for the mp3 (at whatever respective rates...)

Yeah, pretty sure this one is a misprice, so anyone on the right side of the pond who wants it should probably snap it up.
  • edited October 2017
    Plong42 said:
    Ah digging through the Brilliant Classics label. A great way to avoid grading papers this rainy afternoon.

To be vexed by Satie for a shade under 24 hours straight for $4.99 (that's only half a cent per vexation! Three minutes for each cent!), go here:

Satie: Complete Vexations 1-840, Jeroen van Veen

(I think I'll pass for now.)

From Wikipedia:
    The piece bears the inscription "In order to play the theme 840 times in succession, it would be advisable to prepare oneself beforehand, and in the deepest silence, by serious immobilities" ... From the 1960s onward, this text has mostly been interpreted as an instruction that the page of music should be played 840 times, though this may not have been Satie's intention.

Fascinating history of performances here.

• I attended a complete performance of Vexations in the 80s in Chicago.
    Since I stayed longer than anyone else, they awarded me a bottle of wine.
    I don't drink.
  • @rostasi - after staying that long, maybe you should start...

• 4mod3 (Kit Clayton) - A Translation Of Simplicity $2.49
    Kit Clayton - Live On Shortwave Radio $0.99
    Vladislav Delay - Systol $3.49
  • I am not sure that it has been noted that John Zorn's newest is $1.99.
  • Monash Art Ensemble/George Lewis - Hexis $1.49
    James Sherlock Trio - Domestic Arts $2.99
    (Some other good prices on Jazzhead records)
  • How could one not love Celer's latest full-length, Plays Liberace, for $0.99? It definitely glitters...
  • edited October 2017
    For Plong2, I just wanted to point out that there are 3 separate recordings (all priced differently)  of Xenakis La Legende D'Er on emusic. Different performers perhaps, but the same piece. (Really, it is a shame that emusic doesn't have more recordings of this very intriguing composer). 

The 89 cent version is probably the version most of you want. 

Also, Germanprof, the Baba Zula box set  sounds like a great deal, and I generally like the band. I just wanted to point out that this collected a lot of their early albums which were mainly instrumentals, and doesn't include their fantastic female singer Melike Şahin (who joined in 2012). Once she joined, sparks began to fly and their music seemed to have a more pop sensibility. The box set still seems pretty folk based on my impressions. Also, it contained a lot of really short pieces. I ended up buying the Burhan Ocal Box Set instead, which is also pretty lively. 

Contrast that to the more recent (but also fairly expensive at  7.99) album XX also available at emusic, which consists of longer pieces with more vocals. I may end up buying the Baba Zula box set anyway -- I haven't decided. 

As recommended by burntwoodfactors earlier, I found MARTUX_m Crew, Fabrizio Bosso, Francesco Bearzatti & Eivind Aarset's Imagine  a very interesting and relaxing jazz piece. Great deal for 99 cents for 48 minutes. 

I was blown away by the utter obscurity of the Ote Maloya 99 cent compilation
    The Strut label has a lot of things on emusic -- many things I've bought. I'm just browsing through now  and I found the pleasant Mulatu of Ethiopia 58 minute jazz album for 99 cents.  (Update, it's only half the length because it includes both the stero and mono versions of all tracks). and the Canadian jazz group Souljazz Orchestra Under Burning Skies. I also see the Salone by Kondi Band  (Sierra Leone/US electronica). for 99 cents at 57 minutes (bandcamp). Also I see the Moroccan Fangnawa Experience by Fanga and Maalem Abdallah Guinea, 89 minutes for 2.49.  (review here).  (also here). 

Previously from Strut I greatly enjoyed the multi-volume Nigeria 70 albums as well as the 4 part Next Stop: Soweto. (All these albums are 6.49 each, but generally good deals).

Two remarks: 

When browsing through Strut records (change Sort to "Release Date")  I discover that the newest releases are also priced at bargain prices. I wonder if this is common for other labels. 

Second, a general question. Do you find that the 30 second per track samples is pretty reliable about predicting whether you would actually like the album?  Although I try to listen to the whole pieces on youtube or bandcamp, I'm surprised at how often the excerpts are giving a pretty accurate sense of the album. Does anybody feel the same way? 
  • edited October 2017
    Thanks, @idiotprogrammer - some good stuff there. Picked up the Kondi and Fanga albums.
    I find the samples vary. The new 60 second ones are definitely a better guide than the old 30 second ones, but still little help on longer and more experimental pieces. I like junodownload's approach to samples, where you can play 30 seconds from anywhere in the track.
  • @idiotprogrammer - thanks for the detailed notes on these, I already had a few, for the Fangnawa was a great catch. 

I saw the three different recordings (of Xenakis La Legende D'Er, I only listed the two "bargain" versions. It is playing now...
  • Patty Waters sings is a well-received album by a  free form jazz singer who released one or two albums and then faded into obscurity.  She wrote the songs herself. 

Emusic has 3 different versions, with all 3 at different prices. Here's the one that costs 99 cents. (Personally I found it dark and lovely, with that last song -- her most famous --  being crazy and discordant, making me somewhat ambivalent). 

I have to admit, figuring out what to spend my monthly allowance on has become a sort of game for me(I also get 5 free downloads from a service offered by my public library called FREEGAL). For example, the Terry Riley/Morton Feldman stuff is available on freegal, so I don't need to worry about it. 

• edited November 2017
    I'm a huge fan of Ukrainian music. It's unusually diverse and creative, and well, I lived in Ukraine for a year and fell in love with a Ukrainian girl (long story for another time). 

There are two excellent labels in Ukraine. Moon Vinyl and MOZGI Entertainment). Mozgi pretty much is priced what you would think, but Moon Vinyl has a few  good  deals. 

Most significantly, here is a All Hits Vol 1 of one of Ukraine's best loved bands Skryabin. 50 tracks, 210 minutes, $4.99  Here's their  English language wiki page. I'm actually a little mad because I bought several of their albums a few years ago from emusic at normal emusic prices. Scryabin has this quirky  dreamlike/downbeat way of singing, but it still feels like rock. 

Moon Vinyl has a large number of compilation albums (with titles like Хиты (pronounced like the English word Hits). I generally have found them to be fun and interesting. They usually contain 90 minutes of tracks for 3.99 or 4.99, but I found one which costs only 99 cents! Plus, it has one  Scryabin song and this goofy cover! I've been listening to it and enjoying it greatly. (I would describe it as "zany rap/disco"). Enjoy! 

• edited November 2017
    Albinoni - Complete Oboe Concertos 3 hours $4.49 (well reviewed)
    GLASS: Symphony No. 4, 'Heroes' / The Light $2.99 ($4.49 on a duplicate page)
    Paganini: Complete Quartets for Strings and Guitar (7 hours) $4.49
    Lots more box set bargains on Naxos Special Projects.

(Not a bargain, but on that label, I stand amazed that someone thought this album concept and cover was a good idea:
    Bleeding Chunks of Wagner)

• (Not a bargain, but on that label, I stand amazed that someone thought this album concept and cover was a good idea:
    Bleeding Chunks of Wagner)

A cover so bad it will repeat on you! ;-)
  • And this one mangles the language as well. Who the hell came up with this?

• Not really a genre I follow much but I recognize some names and it is 3+ hours of grindcore for $6.99 - https://www.emusic.com/album/4199745/Various-Artists/Grind-Madness-at-the-BBC
  • The Ashes of Piemonte - Datura Notes $1.49
    The Angling Loser - Arena of Apprehension $1.99
    The Angling Loser - Author of the Twilight $2.49

(All stuff I once bought for more)
  • Rafael Toral - Space $0.99 
    Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Remixed 2 $1.49
    Ekkehard Ehlers/Joseph Suchy/Franz Hautzinger - Soundchambers $1.99

All from Staubgold, which has generally low prices, all I think in the experimental jazz/electronics sphere.
  • After by Kim Cascone + Richard Chartier + Taylor Deupree $0.99

• edited November 2017
    This might be the biggest bargain on eMu, Tartini: Violin Concertos Box Set, 389 tracks, 29+ hours for $6.99. On the Dynamic label, not sure that is a good sign. And eMusic cannot handle the size of the whole download, so tracks have to be grabbed one at a time. 

Tartini was a Venetian Baroque composer and violinist, acc/to Wikipedia.

Edit: Link to Reviews on Amazon. All nine reviews are fivestar, but do read them before committing. 

I downloaded all 389 tracks one at a time, then retagged the files with proper CD numbers (3/29, etc.) , changed the genre to Classical, and Giuseppe Tartini as composer. the eMu files are only tagged with the movement name (I. Allegro, etc.) so I am slowly adding the full info from the Amazon page (Violin Concerto in G Major, Op. 2 No. 1, D. 73, for example). 

The things I do to avoid grading papers. 
  • They are running a new booster sale - Max discount $200 credit for $75
  • They are also doing a 'Get 3 months of any music plan for the price of 1'. promotion
  • savvas ysatis + taylor deupree - Hourglass $0.99
    savvas ysatis + taylor deupree - The Sleeping Morning $1.49