What are you listening to right now? (16 Banners United)

Comments

• edited January 2018
    djh - when I was 7, sixty years ago, we lived in Macclesfield. At my school you either supported United or City, and I fortunately choose the right team. My first game was a month or so before Munich, so I can claim to have seen Duncan Edwards and others. 
  •   
    Pierre Bastien - Blue As an Orange

• Terrific, thanks @soulcoal
  • edited February 2018
    djh said:
    Hi @confused How do you rate Damon Smith's bass playing on this one? I've heard good stuff and DS is a Facebook friend (due to links with the London Improv crowd) - but there's large chunks of his catalogue I don't really know. I think this one has good reports? Ta.
    Well, I thought it was great. More bow work than plucking but that fit right in with Blonk's weird/goofy vocal noises(which I find most interesting). Favourite tracks were 4- Karawane (Caravan) & 7- Totenklage (Dirge) but enjoyed them all.

A sample

Ps I forgot to say /captivating. Makes me smile every time I watch one of his youtubes.
  • A few more connected Ps
    Pernice Brothers - Joe & Bob

1997 Scud Mountain Boys - The Early Year
    From Discogs -This release comprises the first two albums by Scud Mountain Boys, 
    whose vocalist and songwriter, Joe Pernice, later formed Pernice Brothers. 
    Both were recorded in Bruce Tull's kitchen with one microphone.
    My wife really doesn't like Joe's singing style but it's one that make my ears perk up.
  • Sorry about last night Greg, for once Spurs were just too good. Bit of a night in the pub but this I think was one you recommended and enjoying this morning.

The Cookers- Time and Time Again
  • Lowlife - yes a good game for the rest of my family! Fortunately I did not have to take my 9 year old granddaughter to school this morning! And my Fantasy captain, Harry Kane, didn't even score. The problem was Spurs scoring before the bus was even warmed up, never mind parked.  United didn't seem to have any alternative tactics....

Astral Weeks

• edited February 2018
    More from the Grammy winning vocal ensemble The Crossing, all 3 from 2017:

• Simultonality by Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society

Spending more time with this one, which didn't grab me quite the way Magnetoception did...
  • I think that I'll be grabbing the new Frahm on CD tomorrow- Lord knows that it's nowhere near being on EMusic - even though they have previous releases. I was going to get the new Tom Rogerson album on the Dead Oceans label, but Dead Oceans is one of the labels that disappeared on the site. 
  • Pernice Brothers - Joe & Bob

1998                                                              2000 - Joe

2001                                                             2002
  •  
    2005                                                               2005

•  
    2009                                                            2010
  •  httpsf4bcbitscomimga1749834777_14jpg
    Julius Eastman - Joe Boy
    Performed by the S.E.M. Ensemble.

• Cinema Scenes CD - Front_Standard

Just released on ACT Music (one of the few strong jazz labels still showing up near release date on eMusic).       Should have some cross-over appeal for those who like jazz/contemporary classical/cinema.      I wasn't familiar with the artists, but am enjoying the music.

Cinema Scenes - Paier Valcic Quartet
  • Mary Chapin Carpenter - Come On Come On
  • Amank Dionti

Thanks for the reminder GP
  • edited February 2018
    releases March 2, 2018 :
     httpsf4bcbitscomimga0550672889_14jpg
    After “La Légende d’Eer” in 2016, the PERIHEL series presents one of the milestones of electroacoustic music: IANNIS XENAKIS’ mindblowing 54-minutes oeuvre “Persepolis”, mixed from the original 8 track tapes by MARTIN WURMNEST and mastered / cut by RASHAD BECKER.

“Persepolis” is the longest electroacoustic composition by IANNIS XENAKIS (1922-2001) who ranks among the most influential 20th century avantgarde composers. Commissioned by the Persian Shah, the piece was part of a multimedia performance – XENAKIS’ so-called “polytopes” – which premiered in 1971 in Shiraz-Persepolis (Iran) as a performance including light-tracks, laser beams, groups of children walking around with torches and 59 loudspeakers to project the music in an open-air situation. XENAKIS had realized “Persepolis” on 8-track analogue tape in the Studio Acusti in Paris and released a stereo reduction on vinyl in the famous Philips series “Prospective 21e Siècle” in 1972, adding the new subtitle “We bear the light of the earth”, his most hymnal title ever.
    Out of print for decades now, the LP became – especially the Japanese edition from 1974 – one of the most expensive collector’s item of electroacoustic music. There were some later CD versions with different durations – too long due to a wrong sample rate, others shortened by 3 minutes due to other reasons. The PERIHEL series now presents a new version: mixed from the original (!) master 8 track tapes by longtime zeitkratzer sound engineer MARTIN WURMNEST and mastered by RASHAD BECKER at D&M, Berlin – the same experts who had already taken care of the 2016 KARLRECORDS release of “La Légende d’Eer”, another milestone composition among the works of the Greek-French avant-garde composer. 
  • One of my very early Emu purchases, from the no longer existing Asphodel label

• edited February 2018

Just out today, on eMusic yet. Press release announcement: 'Project Pays Homage to Turkish Jazz Impresario Mehmet “Memo” Uluğ (1959-2013), Inspired by Avant-Garde Jazz Legend Butch Morris (1947-2013) & Poet Amiri Baraka (1934-2014)'

@soulcoal The new Julian Lage on Mack Ave is also there this morning.
  • Live in Krakw feat Jon Irabagon Joe Fonda

I saw these gents a couple years ago, and they make a hell of a noise. It's on eMusic
  • The February podcast from David Byrne radio

David Byrne Presents: The Beautiful Shitholes

Yes all those useless places you-know-who has no time for. Mainly a really relaxing and uplifting selection. Happens to include Utrus Horas by Orchestra Baobab which is one of my favourite pieces of music from anywhere - ever. You have been warned.

• edited February 2018
    Well, even though the boosters aren't on sale, I couldn't resist adding some more.
    Pierre Bastien - Thanks @Brighternow - good timing! 

1996                                                               2015

Ps. After reading the Emusic Beta thread I see that boosters are on sale again. Oh well, I just couldn't wait. 
  • Puce Mary    With Thanks to @amclark2

2010  & LR -  Lucia                                                 2010 Puce Mary - Piss Flowers 
                                                      Archives

2011  & LR  - The Closed Room                                       2013   Success
  • edited February 2018
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga0671663989_14jpg

Nice "Air'ish" (The french duo)

• Just out today, on eMusic yet. Press release announcement: 'Project Pays Homage to Turkish Jazz Impresario Mehmet “Memo” Uluğ (1959-2013), Inspired by Avant-Garde Jazz Legend Butch Morris (1947-2013) & Poet Amiri Baraka (1934-2014)'

@soulcoal The new Julian Lage on Mack Ave is also there this morning.
    Thanks @Doofy - I saw that, too.  Actually pretty good jazz week over at eMusic.  Several new releases on Act, Mack Avenue, Motema, Whaling City Sound, and Effendi.   You can see the dog's ribs, but the cupboard's not quite bare yet...  ;-)