What are you listening to right now? (Twenty Million Things [We'd Like to Do when COVID is over])

Comments

• Nuunmuun (눈문)

by Seungmin Cha

Seungmin Cha (차승민)
    Nuunmuun (눈문)
    A steady point of focus
    A meditative state
    An abstract energy
    A perpetual flow
    A new perspective
    This is an album about consciousness expanding toward awareness of self. Focusing on a single point for long enough that you dive into it and come out on the other side, tapping yourself on the shoulder from behind. Think of it as circumnavigating your reality and washing up on a foreign shore that is familiar, yet entirely new. That has been this artist’s voyage as she made her way through her musical evolution, and this record is that foreign shore.
    Emerging as a leading experimental Daegeum (Korean transverse bamboo flute) artist, Seungmin Cha has trained in traditional music and its discourse from a young age. She has completed multiple residencies in New York City, and was a recipient of the Asian Cultural Council fellowship in 2016. Devouring jazz, new music, and improvisational performance and collaboration during her time abroad, Ms. Cha has since developed her career as a solo artist and composer for Daegeum and voice. Her one-of-a-kind live performance incorporates traditional styles with an experimental approach, utilizing a loop-station and an array of fx pedals to layer sounds in the moment. From gut-rumbling bass to soaring highs, she expertly covers the frequency range in a meditative state, dancing barefoot on the line between beauty and chaos.

We are proud to present Seungmin Cha’s first solo release “Nuunmuun”, which translates to “Eye Gate”. Step through the portal and into the parallel universe of this singular artist.

File under: leftfield, experimental, ambient
    We are proud to present Seungmin Cha’s first solo release “Nuunmuun”, which translates to “Eye Gate”. Step through the portal and into the parallel universe of this singular artist.
    File under: leftfield, experimental, ambient 

• @confused The Doors first album, in my view probably the best rock album ever!
    It's certainly right up there. Such a great voice and Manzarek's organ still send shivers.

Devendra Banhart

2005                                          Cripple Crow
  • The Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy (Michael FrantiRono Tse)

1992                                       Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury 
  • Dr. Israel

1996                 7 Tales Of Israel                          1998               Inna City Pressure
    Emusic                                                                 Emusic
    Bandcamp
  • edited March 2021

• David Bowie

1970          The Man Who Sold The World             1971                  Hunky Dory

1972      The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust        1973                   Aladdin Sane
                       and the Spiders From Mars
  •    
    1975                  Young Americans                       1978                       Stage

1980                  Scary Monsters                           1983                    Let's Dance
  • @rostasi I'm enjoying that Seungmin Cha album, thanks for posting. I love that cover and all the Tonal Unity cover art

• Marco Lucchi - Hurdy Gurdy
  • Dave Mason

1970                   Alone Together                        1972                     Headkeeper

1973              It's Like You Never Left                  Recorded 1975     Certified Live
  •    
    1977                     Let It Flow                               1978                 Mariposa De Oro

1980            Old Crest On A New Wave
  • edited March 2021
    Roland Kuit - Room Music
    Exploring new territories in Cello music with:
    Balázs Adorján - cello Roland Kuit - Kyma
  • New and unexpected
  •  ^^^ ^^^ Was listening to that the other day. Pleasantly surprised!

• Sitting somewhere in the middle of folk jazz world minimal classical. 
    More than a nod to ECM world fusion jazz but for me Henriksen's trumpet lifts the album several notches. Impressive for a live recording.
  • edited March 2021
    Well, I'd also like to welcome @dtoub and thank you for your generosity. My iTunes tells me the last time I played darfur pogrommen was August 2017 and has had 9 plays according to lastfm. I've really enjoyed the listens and look forward to hearing the new additions.
    David Toub

2008         darfur pogrommen (2007)                 2009       this piece intentionally left blank

2015                 three piano works                      2021    consonance/dissidence (2021) for string quartet

I thought I'd add this - The Music Of David Toub
  • Duet for church organ and jazz saxophone. Remarkably successful.
  • edited March 2021
    Just in at Bandcamp:

• Emerging from the Spanish soul, a flame flickers and slowly grows.
    The wind, which knows no frontiers, fans this flame in all directions.
    This is the same for this music, as it spreads out beyond the limits of musical styles.

Miguel Sanchez, Spanish, brought up in Belgium, living in Paris, working with musicans from all sources and styles, knows the meaning of the words “global eclecticism”.

On this, his first solo album, the compositions are by him, and the words of the songs are written by him and other collaborators on the album.

But the genius of the record is how Sanchez develops the music and songs by bringing together and using musicians from different origins, and with traditional, or other, knowledge and skills (Spanish, Senegalese, Indian, Italian, French, Belgian, Algerian, flamenco, jazz, Western classical).

This kaleidoscope, fused with the musicians’ personal commitment and talent, make this an album which burns bright and far.

• Worth getting out of bed for. The range of sounds that Angeli gets out of his heavily prepared Sardinian guitar is astounding; Drake is merely one of the best drummers out there IMHO. Dee also Deghe for more duo live action from these two.

• Well, I just finished listening to the last 2 albums by David Toub - Most enjoyable! Thanks again.
    Now, yesterday my wife found this CD in an old swag bag so to finish the Ds, on to...
    Djur Djura

1993     Voice Of Silence (Adventures In Afropea 2)
  • edited March 2021

We Carry the Weight
  • After a snowy morning it turned out to be a great BBQ day. I'll start off the Es with another trip to the past.
    Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson

1962  with the Cannonball Adderley Quintet        1970          The Original Cleanhead
                             Back Door Blues
  • confused said:
    After a snowy morning it turned out to be a great BBQ day. I'll start off the Es with another trip to the past.
    Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson

1962  with the Cannonball Adderley Quintet        1970          The Original Cleanhead
                             Back Door Blues

Saw him once when I was a student in Liverpool, early 80's. Upstairs room of a pub. Great gig - except I had a bad cold/cough and there was a guy sat right in front of me smoking a cigar... You can imagine I made the odd contribution!

• Trying to give a bit of quiet attention to a couple of the Another Timbre releases I bought a while back.
  • edited March 2021
    ^^ Ahh, the old days, sitting in a smoky tavern with a table full of 25 cent pints of draft. (I don't miss it at all)
    Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros

2012                          Here                                   2016                      Person A
    Ps- for clarification, just the smoky part.
This discussion has been closed.