What are you listening to (B)right(er)now? (22 Weight Lifting Lulus)

Comments

• Al Grey featuring Billy Mitchell - "Snap Your Fingers"
    Straight-ahead old-school jazz for the winter weather.
    Opening track on youtube 

• edited December 2022

We Three  Roy Haynes
    Roy Haynes, Phineas Newborn, and Paul Chambers - "We Three"
    I keep forgetting that Prestige (some of it) is on Bandcamp now:  https://royhaynes.bandcamp.com/album/we-three

• Well, I can't go past them without giving another listen. A old favourite I only wish there was more of.
    The Blue Nile

A Walk Across The Rooftops                                  Hats

Peace At Last                                                         High

• George Gruntz – "Mental Cruelty"

• edited December 2022
    Two Mingus recordings:
    Charles Mingus - "Three or Four Shades of Blues"
    Bill Frisell et all - "Weird Nightmare - Meditations on Mingus"
    It's difficult to accurately recall the timeline, but I'm almost certain the Hal Wilner-Bill Frisell recording was my introduction to Charles Mingus (and a ton of modern jazz musicians). I heard Weird Nightmare back in November 1992 back in Colorado, then a few months later purchased a whole bunch of jazz when I was back in Chicago (including some Mingus), and pretty much never looked back from my jazz addiction.
    "Three or Four Shades of Blues" is arguably my favorite Mingus recording.  Delirious fun version of Better Get Hit In Your Soul (modded title for this recording) and the most gorgeous rendition of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat."
  • djhdjh
    edited December 2022
    @jonahpwll Thanks for the reminder about Three or Four Shades I really like late period Mingus but that one tends to get overlooked.

!!! And one of the things I'd forgotten, Larry Coryell's guitar is all over the first four tracks. It sounds so suprising to hear electric guitar on a Mingus album.
  • Plong42 said:

^^^ Just listened to that too. Quite enjoyable. Also enjoying these this morning - must be a soft prog day:

Arc of Life - Don't Look Down (I am finding this more convincing than their debut)
    Door One
    David Longdon - Door One (I like this better than some of the Big Big Train releases)

• Red Garland Trio - "Groovy"
    Sonny Rollins - "The Bridge"

I think I'm about to go on a Red Garland binge.  I feel like this happens only in winter weather every few years.
    I keep revisiting the music of Sonny Rollins and it still doesn't do anything for me.  Occasionally I'll find something that's okay to my ears (the Alfie soundtrack comes to mind), but at this point I'm feeling like if I never listen to another Rollins recording, I'm none the worse.

• Ola Kvernberg - "The Mechanical Fair"

• Hi, just wanted to mention that if we’re thinking of moving out of this thread to a new one for ‘23,
    then maybe we should begin thinking about it now?
    I don’t know if we have to necessarily still have it as an homage to our dear late friend -
    we, of course can…and somehow work in the number “23” that a lot of these experimental cult
    bands of the 80s were so fascinated with …
    or, just come up with something of our own related to music (23 Skidoo?).
    Anyway, just wanted to put that out there…

Hope you all had a warm and safe holiday. Just the wife and I and the three kitties and
    some “Iggy Confidential” that was just great for us today! Finished doing a couple of radio shows
    that jump into some memorable albums from this last year (December 28 & Jan. 4 [with a half-hour
    homage to John McLaughlin on his 81st b-day]).

• DISC ONE:

1 THE SKELETON AND THE ROUNDABOUT (mono single mix) – The Idle Race
    2 JENNY ARTICHOKE – Kaleidoscope
    3 CUDDLY TOY – Fruit Machine
    4 PHENOMENAL CAT – The Kinks
    5 LITTLE LESLEY – The Alan Bown!
    6 EMILY SMALL (THE HUGE WORLD THEREOF) – The Picadilly Line
    7 MAN IN THE TEAPOT – Fire
    8 MR LIGHT – John Carter and Mickey Keen
    9 THE DUBIOUS CIRCUS COMPANY – Clifford T. Ward
    10 ICE CREAM MAN (alternative version) – Kidrock
    11 LOLLIPOP MINDS – Wimple Winch
    12 PETER’S BIRTHDAY (BLACK AND WHITE RAINBOWS) – World Of Oz
    13 HA! HA! SAID THE CLOWN – Tony Hazzard
    14 SAD SIMON LIVES AGAIN – Tim Andrews
    15 UNCLE JOE, THE ICE CREAM MAN – The Mindbenders
    16 PHOEBE’S FLOWER SHOP – The Cortinas
    17 COPLINGTON – Persimmon’s Peculiar Shades
    18 COLOUR SERGEANT LILLYWHITE – West Coast Consortium
    19 OUR FAIRY TALE – The Herd
    20 TEENAGE LOVE SONG – Hetherington
    21 EBANEEZER BEAVER (demo version) – The Mirage
    22 FAIRY TALE (demo version) – The Next Collection
    23 BROTHER JACK – Barry Wigley
    24 TRAFALGAR SQUARE – The Good Time Losers
    25 SADIE AND HER MAGIC MR. GALAHAD – The New Generation
    26 MARJORY DAW – Morning Glory
    27 THE LAST PERFORMANCE OF THE ROYAL REGIMENTAL VERY VICTORIOUS AND VALIANT BAND – The Syn
    28 RAINBOW ROCKING CHAIR – Majority One
    29 EXCERPT FROM “A TEENAGE OPERA” – Keith West

DISC TWO:

1 LAVENDER POPCORN – Scrugg
    2 KNOCKING NAILS INTO MY HOUSE – Ambrose Slade
    3 MR JOB – Jigsaw
    4 UNCLE ARTHUR – David Bowie
    5 THE BITTER THOUGHTS OF LITTLE JANE – Timon
    6 CELLOPHANE MARY JANE – Astronaut Alan and The Planets
    7 MR KIPLING – Tuesday’s Children
    8 IT’S THE BEST SEASIDE IN THE WORLD – Frabjoy and Runcible Spoon
    9 AND NOW FOR A LITTLE TRAIN NUMBER – Kenny Everett
    10 GLORIOUS HOUSE OF ARTHUR – Fairfield Parlour
    11 LAUGHING BOY FROM NOWHERE – Simon Dupree and The Big Sound
    12 AUNTIE MARY’S DRESS SHOP – Tomorrow
    13 THE EQUESTRIAN STATUE – The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band
    14 JAMES IN THE BASEMENT – Denis Couldry
    15 TALES OF FLOSSIE FILLETT – Turquoise
    16 MY BEST FRIEND – The Picadilly Line
    17 HAPPINESS IS TOY-SHAPED – Harmony Grass
    18 BIRMINGHAM BRASS BAND – The Bullring
    19 WATCHMAKER – Persimmon’s Peculiar Shades
    20 ROOM AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS – Timothy Blue
    21 AFTER TEA – Spencer Davis Group
    22 DREAM DREAM DREAM – Kidrock
    23 LEMON PIE FAIR – Complex
    24 UNCLE HENRY’S MAGIC GARDEN – David Matthews
    25 BRIC-A-BRAC MAN – Bill Niles
    26 WHAT’S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE* (full version) – Chas Mills and Mark Wirtz
    27 EVERYBODY LOVES THE CLOWN – Nirvana
    28 SHARKEY – Christopher
    29 POOR JOHNNY – The Secrets
    30 FAIRGROUND – Pure Gold
    31 TOY SOLDIER – The Riot Squad

DISC THREE:

1 (HE’S OUR DEAR OLD) WEATHERMAN – Mark Wirtz
    2 ZEBEDY ZAK – Cardboard Orchestra
    3 FLORENCE – Tapestry
    4 MR MOODY’S GARDEN – Gilbert O’Sullivan
    5 MUTINY – The Alan Bown!
    6 UPTIGHT BASIL – Magic Valley
    7 BANG BANG – Kidrock
    8 TOYMAKER – Wild Silk
    9 LANTERNLIGHT – Peter and The Wolves
    10 LOVE AND THE BIG BRASS BAND – Dave Christie
    11 PICCOLO MAN – Friends
    12 UWE AUS DUISBERG – The Hi-Fis
    13 EINER KLEINER MISER MUSIK – Tony Rivers and The Castaways
    14 THE HAPPY KING – Music Box
    15 MRS DAISY – Tintern Abbey
    16 MRS MURPHY’S BUDGERIGAR – Blossom Toes
    17 ANNIE’S PLACE – Gene Latter
    18 GLASSHOUSE GREEN, SPLINTER RED – John Pantry
    19 HENRY EVERYDAY* – Timothy Blue
    20 DEAR OLD MRS BELL – The Shadows
    21 MR NICE GUY – Dragonmilk
    22 MISTER WHITE’S WHITE FLYING MACHINE (album version) – Ayshea
    23 MAGIC SHOES (demo) – Fire
    24 KING OF THE CASTLE – Jason Crest
    25 THROUGH MY TELESCOPE – Marty Wilde
    26 TIME TO GO HOME – The Tots
    27 THE SAD STORY OF SIMON AND HIS BUGLE* (correct version) – Mark Wirtz

• edited December 2022
    @rostasi I don't know if there is anything we can make of it but in Morse Code, the telegraphers' code 23 means "break the line". Also, 23 is apparently a "happy number"!

Taking your cue of revisiting the 1980s, the music and art duo The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu (later known as The KLF and the K Foundation) named themselves after the fictional conspiratorial group "The Justified Ancients of Mummu" from the book “Illuminatus!”. The number 23, is a recurring theme in the duo's work. Perhaps most infamously, as the K Foundation, they burnt one million pounds on 23 August 1994 and subsequently agreed not to publicly discuss the burning for a period of 23 years. 23 years to the day after the burning, they returned to launch a novel and discuss why they had burnt the money!!!

So we could call call it "The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu".

Or, alternatively, with  The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu abbreviation of their name to JAM, why not go back to my favourite musical period of the 60s and call it "Kick Out The Jams"! Particularly as JAM included a sample of MC5's song of that name in their first single "All You Need Is Love".

This would be a great title, bearing in mind the definition of “Kick Out The Jams" being to play rock music loudly and with a lot of energy or emotion. Sounds like us!

You mention, in your post, the hope for warm and safe holidays. It has certainly been warm here in Melbourne! 30 deg C on Christmas Day, 32 deg C today and 37 deg C tomorrow!
  • Well, I've also been thinking about this thread and as I am mostly stuck in the past now the only one that came to mind as I'm going through the alphabet once more was the Brothers Johnson's version of Shuggie Otis' Strawberry Letter 23. That, and it turns out I also have 23 Bob Dylan albums in my library not counting these with The Band. I don't suppose that I'll ever stop thinking about @Brighternow and how much he influenced my musical tastes, but it's time to move on.
    Bob Dylan / The Band

Before The Flood                                                  The Basement Tapes
  • Frank Zappa - Zappa 75 ZagrebLjubljana2 CD - Amazoncom Music

From Santa...
  • @rostasi I don't know if there is anything we can make of it but in Morse Code, the telegraphers' code 23 means "break the line". Also, 23 is apparently a "happy number"!

Taking your cue of revisiting the 1980s, the music and art duo The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu (later known as The KLF and the K Foundation) named themselves after the fictional conspiratorial group "The Justified Ancients of Mummu" from the book “Illuminatus!”. The number 23, is a recurring theme in the duo's work. Perhaps most infamously, as the K Foundation, they burnt one million pounds on 23 August 1994 and subsequently agreed not to publicly discuss the burning for a period of 23 years. 23 years to the day after the burning, they returned to launch a novel and discuss why they had burnt the money!!!

So we could call call it "The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu".

Or, alternatively, with  The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu abbreviation of their name to JAM, why not go back to my favourite musical period of the 60s and call it "Kick Out The Jams"! Particularly as JAM included a sample of MC5's song of that name in their first single "All You Need Is Love".

This would be a great title, bearing in mind the definition of “Kick Out The Jams" being to play rock music loudly and with a lot of energy or emotion. Sounds like us!

You mention, in your post, the hope for warm and safe holidays. It has certainly been warm here in Melbourne! 30 deg C on Christmas Day, 32 deg C today and 37 deg C tomorrow!
    The format we’ve  been using involves directly working the number into the title, so it would have to be something more like “the 23 Ancients of Mu Mu,” “Kick out 23 Jams” (etc.)

Carbon Based Lifeforms has an album called “Twentythree” - so “23 Carbon Based Lifeforms”

I have never heard the song, but the internet tells me Blink-182 have a song with the lyric “nobody likes you when you’re 23”

The internet also tells me that “On the cover of The Beatles' 1969 album Yellow Submarine the number 23 is displayed on the chest of one of the Blue Meanies.” So “23 Blue Meanies”.
  • I just remember that in the 80s, especially, there were a lot of these occult-like bands and people (Psychic TV, Current 93, practically anything that Genesis P-Orridge was involved in) who were wholly (holy?) enamored with the number “23” and you would see it crop up in liner notes, interviews and even titles. I remember shaking my head about this and doing some light research and there were always these people talking about the “magikal” properties of that number and so on - connecting it to archaic notions stemming from Enochian Magic and Kabbalah and so on.
  • edited December 2022
    For something nice and simple, how about “23 Blonde Redheads”?

Derived from the 2007 song and album "23" by Blonde Redhead.

An outstanding Shoegaze, Dream Pop album which is somewhat reminiscent of My Bloody Valentine and Asobi Seksu.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/23-mw0000479293

"23

23 seconds, all things we love will die
    23 magic, if you can change your life

Your tainted heart, my tainted love, repent now
    How many times ?
    As long as you live, how many times ?
    The world will go around

He was a friend of mine, he was a son of god ... he was a son of a gun

23 seconds, in you I see a chance
    23 magic, if you change the name of love

Your crazy heart, my crazy love, repent now
    How many times ? As long as you wish
    How many times ? The world will go around
    How many times ? As long as you want
    How many times ? The world will go around

He was a friend of mine, he was a son of a gun ... he was a son of god

23"

• I spent all yesterday trying to work 23 Skidoo into something punchy especially since on my first visit to NYC yeras ago I visited the Flatiron building probably under the influence of Robert Anton Wilson and his great Illuminatii jape.
  • 23 is my birthday number, has been lucky for me so far
  • "What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?"
  • > @rostasi said:
    > "What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?"

As good or better than what I was wrestling with.
  • Neil Merryweather would've been 77 today.

• edited December 2022
    rostasi said:
    "What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?"
    Like it, @rostasi and @djh. Nice and simple with an emusers ring to it!

And if we were to choose it, should this album by 23 Skidoo be our first listen of the New Year!?

• Sounds like that version is getting traction, at least among the triumvirate :-).
    Let any who object speak now or forever etc. I’ll create the thread at the end of the week.

@rostasi we’ve been enjoying listening to Saturno 2000, which if memory serves I discovered because bandcamp told me you had bought it? If so, thanks, lots of fun.
  • You guys are giving me ideas for my Jan. 11 show: the “Seven Songs” and “Saturno 2000” records.
    Yes, that’s a good place to start when it comes to 23 Skidoo!
    … and, yes, I’m a fan of that Saturno 2000” album too. Glad you had a chance to discover it.
    The two competing stories about the beginnings of rebajada are fun to read about,
    but I’m leaning towards the “broken record player” version because it sounds so much like a fantastical story.
    It makes me want to slow down cha-cha-cha, mambo, samba, etc LPs now to see if there’s another genre lurking deep in musical realms somewhere.

• From the Concrete Islands best of - Thanks Doofy
This discussion has been closed.