What are you listening to right now? (24 hours from Tulsa)

Comments

•    
    Blues And The Soulful Truth                                 Full Circle

Leon ThomasGary Bartz Quintet                         The Creator 1969-1973
      – Precious Energy                                                   (The Best Of The Flying Dutchman Masters)

Babatunde Lea - Umbo Weti: A Tribute To Leon Thomas
  • edited May 13
    @djh It's that sugary treat from my high school years. I really didn't like the way that Froese took the band in the later years, but after he died, I was pleasantly surprised that the new ensemble had actually gone back to the "Berlin School" ways with their sound ... and so I've actually had some enjoyable listening to these more recent recordings. It really must've been Froese's stubborness. Afterall, he did go back to his very own solo recordings from that era and ruined them thru re-recording and heavy edits. We, from that era, found it almost sacreligious!
  • @confused Nice to see those Leon Thomas albums given some love. They got a lot of play at my house in the day - especially the Berlin one. What a voice!
  • @peterfrederics I know it was a while back, but good to see that Airto Free album show up here. There's a tune on side two called "Lucky Southern" that has a piano solo from Jarrett that I loved so much that I notated it and learned to play much of it on vibes back in the 70s. (There were sections of the piano solo that went out of the range of my vibraphone, so I had to improvise those bits).
  • Really enjoying this.
    Check out the liner notes:

Peter Margasak writes:

"The album opens with his take on Ornette Coleman’s ubiquitous “Lonely Woman,” where he maintains the indelible bass figure with one finger, while shaping the melody with his others. He writes that his take on the bridge is informed by the “Preludes” of Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos, but such background info is irrelevant if you simply want to bask in the beauty of his performances.

His catholic sensibilities are reflected in the richly varied selections, which underline the album title both as a kind of proposed new standard repertoire or a body of work that’s potentially raw material for a skilled interpreter. Both notions work. He plays “Cohesion,” the faux-flamenco gem D. Boon wrote for the classic Minutemen album Double Nickels on the Dime, which is probably the most straight-forward selection here, with no noticeable alteration from the original version, as far as I can tell. It’s great, but the jaw-dropping stuff happens on a variety of jazz tunes, including three Charles Mingus compositions that he splits wide open, deftly assigning different parts of the multi-partite tunes and orchestral arrangements of the originals for his two hands. Below you can check out his stunning version of “Pithecanthropus Erectus,” where he somehow conveys the rich splendor of the original in miniature. He works similar magic on “Better Get Hit in Your Soul” and “Reincarnation of a Love Bird.” He also tackles Eric Dolphy’s “Out to Lunch,” creating a fascinating harmonic scaffolding for a tune with no fixed chords. He tackles pieces by John Cage, Roland Kirk, Captain Beefheart, Kraftwerk, Sun Ra, Aphex Twin, Fred (Mr.) Rogers, and Alice Coltrane, giving “Journey into Satchidananda” a fresh new perspective. Parish is a tinkerer, the kind of musician who wonders what’s possible and finds ways to make his imagination become real."

• edited May 14
    The @djh and @rostasi exchange took me back to listening to "Phaedra", probably my favourite Tangerine Dream album.

@rostasi agree about "Lucky Southern" on the Airto album "Free".

Phaedra The International Awakening Of Tangerine Dream  uDiscover
  • edited May 14
    This is when I heard Phaedra for one of the first times
    (the music in the background is from Ralph Lundsten).
    He would, in later days, play the whole side of the album.

• edited May 14
    "Things We Lost In The Fire" by Low which AMG believes was one of best albums of 2001.

Things We Lost In The Fire  Low

https://lowtheband.bandcamp.com/album/things-we-lost-in-the-fire

• "The Kurl Of The Butterfly's Tongue", the 2007 Jazz Fusion album by "The Magic Poetry Band.

All Music Guide says "M.L. Liebler has been the poet laureate of Detroit for four decades, and is as well respected as an organizer and promoter as a wordsmith. With the Magic Poetry Band, a group of veteran progressive jazzmen including guitarist Ron English and revolutionary saxophonist and fellow poet Faruq Z. Bey"

Kurl of the Butterflys Tongue ML Liebler  the Magic Poetry Band  Amazonca Music
  • Magic Bus s/t album from 2010 although, to listen to it and looking at the cover, you would think that you were way back in 1960s Canterbury Scene, Progressive Rock territory!

Progarchives says "MAGIC BUS are a band that freely admits that they think they are still producing music of the psychedelic era of the 1960s and early 1970s. Their sound definitely conjures up early psychedelic jazz of Canterbury Scene bands CARAVAN, SOFT MACHINE and STEVE HILLAGE though it also takes inspiration from the psychedelia coming from the West Coast of the USA in the late Sixties (specifically JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, THE GRATEFUL DEAD, CROSBY, STILLS & NASH)"

https://magicbus2.bandcamp.com/album/magic-bus

MAGIC BUS Magic Bus reviews
  • "Menos El Oso" by Minus The Bear

Menos El Oso  Minus the Bear
  • rostasi said:

Really enjoying this.
    Check out the liner notes:

I normally get very annoyed with Kraftwerk covers but the version of Europe Endless here is a winner. In fact I like just about all the album. Good find!
  • Great album bought on Bandcamp day, getting a lot of listening

•    
    Death Of A Ladies' Man     archive.org                  Recent Songs   archive.org

Various Positions           archive.org                      I'm Your Man        archive.org

Field Commander Cohen: Tour Of 1979
      archive.org
    Ps. This is a really great live album!
  • "Red Dissolving Rays Of Light" a 2010 album by The Loons which sounds like a top Psych Rock album from the 1960s.

AMG describes The Loons first album as a "unique take on garage rock mixed with power pop, punk, and a tinge of psychedelia" and this, their second album, merits the same description.

The Loons - Red Dissolving Rays Of Light

•    
    The Future         archive.org                                 Ten New Songs       archive.org

Dear Heather           archive.org                            Old Ideas            archive.org

Popular Problems           archive.org                     Can't Forget: A Souvenir Of The Grand Tour
                                                                                      archive.org
  • edited May 17
    The 8th track in a 32 part series "Four Phases of the Night"

• edited May 18
    "Going Blank Again" the 1992 album by top Shoegaze band Ride.

AMG says about the band "Ride are one of the most foundational and important shoegaze bands, helping define the genre in its first wave and continuing to evolve from that point forward in various phases marked by extreme stylistic shifts and genre experimentation"

Ride Going Blank Again Album Review  Pitchforkhttps://www.allmusic.com/album/going-blank-again-mw0000071555
  • edited May 18
    Having listened to Ride, I had to go to what is undoubtedly by far the best Shoegaze album of all time - "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine.

Rate Your Music ranks it the top album (so No. 1) of any kind (not just Shoegaze) for 1991!

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/my-bloody-valentine/loveless/

Stream My Bloody Valentine Loveless by Ate Evren  Listen online for free  on SoundCloud
  •    
    You Want It Darker          archive.org                    Thanks For The Dance         archive.org

from archive.org
    I've never thought the various tributes over the years did him justice. This homemade comp is, if I may say, perfect. Artists tended to put the best versions of his songs on their own albums.

There are two volumes. The cover is obviously a riff on Elvis's debut. Took a lot of looking to find the right pic.
    https://archive.org/details/leonard_202102
    https://archive.org/details/06-hallelujah-live
  • "Going Blank Again" the 1992 album by top Shoegaze band Ride.

AMG says about the band "Ride are one of the most foundational and important shoegaze bands, helping define the genre in its first wave and continuing to evolve from that point forward in various phases marked by extreme stylistic shifts and genre experimentation"

Ride Going Blank Again Album Review  Pitchforkhttps://www.allmusic.com/album/going-blank-again-mw0000071555
    I saw Ride a week or so ago(for the 1st time in Western Massachusetts.  Very cool show.
  • edited May 18
    @stewrat really glad to hear that as I will be seeing them in Melbourne (Australia) in early August, together with Mercury Rev as a great double bill
  • edited May 19
    And talking about Mercury Rev, their great first album “Yerself Is Steam”

AMG says near-perfect debut from a band that would only get better from here on out”

Mercury Rev  Yerself Is Steam CD - Discogs
  • edited May 19
    "End" the latest album from Explosions In The Sky

End  Explosions in the Sky
  • Shakey Graves -Movie of the Week
  • Lesley Flanigan

Amplifications

Glacier

Lesley Flanigan & People Get Ready 2014

Hedera
  • Educating myself on a Sunday morning. I only knew the last track That’s How I Escaped My Certain Fate and the first single (not on here) Academy Fight Song.

Primary

Also I hadn't realised the connection with Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, doh!