What are you listening to right now? (24 hours from Tulsa)

1121314151618»

Comments

• djhdjh
    edited September 3
    Plong42 said:

I always liked the Shut Up records much more than the later release but I'm at a loss to really know why. Anyway a treat for those who don't necessarily get on with his lyrics. I've just started reading Moon Unit's biography and just hope that my love of FZ can overcome the details about what a, shall we say character, he could be in his not so private life.
  • edited September 3
    Anton Schwartz

I suspect that this was a jonahpwll recommendation back in the Bird is the Worm days. I like it  lots but don't play it often enough.

Update - I just checked when I last played this. Six tracks I played in October last year, not too bad, two were last played in 2020, but three not played since I updated my computer in 2017. I've got a lot of really good jazz, much downloaded during emusic days, often on jonahpwll's recommendations, that I don't play enough. I need to tell myself to listen to it again, rather than going for the easy options.
  • greg said:
    Anton Schwartz

I suspect that this was a jonahpwll recommendation back in the Bird is the Worm days. I like it  lots but don't play it often enough.

Update - I just checked when I last played this. Six tracks I played in October last year, not too bad, two were last played in 2020, but three not played since I updated my computer in 2017. I've got a lot of really good jazz, much downloaded during emusic days, often on jonahpwll's recommendations, that I don't play enough. I need to tell myself to listen to it again, rather than going for the easy options.
    I'm the same myself with similar albums. What do I mean by similar albums? Jazz albums with awful "this will do" covers. If I don't really know the featured artists then the music stands a great chance of being ignored. Albeit more of a physical media problem.

• djh said:
     I've just started reading Moon Unit's biography and just hope that my love of FZ can overcome the details about what a, shall we say character, he could be in his not so private life.

This is a good example of never wanting to meet your heroes. Zappa was a genius but was also a terrible person in many ways. Same likely can be said for Dylan or many other "geniuses." Moon Unit's book has some shocking details, from what I hear, but nothing I would not expect.
  • A really good book on this topic is “Monsters: A Fan’s Dilemma” by Claire Dederer. 
  • Plong42 said:
    djh said:
     I've just started reading Moon Unit's biography and just hope that my love of FZ can overcome the details about what a, shall we say character, he could be in his not so private life.

This is a good example of never wanting to meet your heroes. Zappa was a genius but was also a terrible person in many ways. Same likely can be said for Dylan or many other "geniuses." Moon Unit's book has some shocking details, from what I hear, but nothing I would not expect.

Yeah that's just it, I "know the story" but it's when you get all the details piling up. I will never forget the important part Zappa's music played in my life in my late teens trying to do exams, having a father succoming to cancer and all the rest. But boy what a piece of work he could be. I'm also sympathetic to Gail, if only because fans have a habit of blaming the widow (Garcia fans I'm pointing at you) but maybe due to the upbringing Gail had she was, well whatever I'll finish reading the book and maybe comment more then.
  • Luzmila Carpio

Sumaj Llajta                                                         Le Chant de la Terre et des Etoiles
                                                                                    = The Song Of The Earth And Stars

Yuyay Jap'ina Tapes                                              Luzmila Carpio Meets ZZK

Inti Watana (El Retorno Del Sol )
     Bandcamp 
  • djh said:
     I'll finish reading the book and maybe comment more then.

I look forward to your evaluation of the book (maybe on the books thread?) I usually do not read this celebrity tell-all books, but this one caught my interest. 

In the meantime, I think I am going to listen to Hot Rats again and not think about Frank's private life.

• Plong42 said:
    djh said:
     I'll finish reading the book and maybe comment more then.

I look forward to your evaluation of the book (maybe on the books thread?) I usually do not read this celebrity tell-all books, but this one caught my interest. 

In the meantime, I think I am going to listen to Hot Rats again and not think about Frank's private life.

Smooth Move! Also given that I've got about five books on the go, don't expect any startling revelations any time soon.
  • edited September 5
    All LA Band by Bob Mintzer

Another album not played enough recently!
  • edited September 6
    @greg September 3
    Welcome back! I sometimes look back on posts from long ago and will wonder whatever became of some of the early members.

Me too. Funnily enough, eMusers (via eMusic) is the only group recommending music that I regularly check in on. Are there any others that anybody would recommend me joining?

As you will all have picked up over the years, my passions are for Prog Rock, Post Rock and rock from the late 60s and early 70s!
  • edited September 6

Just downloaded from Sahel Records, thanks for letting us know about their Bandcamp offer, GP
  • Lydia Lunch

Queen Of Siam                                                     P.O.W.                                   

Lydia Lunch / Suicide - Frankie Teardrop             Lydia Lunch & Philippe Petit – Twist Of Fate

Lydia LunchMarc Hurtado – My Lover The Killer  Marchesa

• Only $4 on bandcamp and more than worth it.
  • eMusers (via eMusic) is the only group recommending music that I regularly check in on. Are there any others that anybody would recommend me joining?

As you will all have picked up over the years, my passions are for Prog Rock, Post Rock and rock from the late 60s and early 70s!
  • eMusers (via eMusic) is the only group recommending music that I regularly check in on. Are there any others that anybody would recommend me joining?

My only other sources are progarchives (which you know) and lunch conversations with my friend Bob (which you are welcome to join some time if you are ever in Michigan).
  • edited September 14
    Back Jack s/t hard rock album from 1974. 

An absolutely outstanding album that has just become available from RidingEasy records on Bandcamp. I can’t begin to understand why it wasn’t a major success. The first four tracks are particularly good. 

Here below is a link to an interview of band member Mike Lusher from as recently as last week, a link to the album page on Bandcamp plus a YouTube recording of the whole album.

• edited September 14
    eMusers (via eMusic) is the only group recommending music that I regularly check in on. Are there any others that anybody would recommend me joining?

My only other sources are progarchives (which you know) and lunch conversations with my friend Bob (which you are welcome to join some time if you are ever in Michigan).
    Thanks and much appreciated @Germanprof. I will certainly look you and Bob up if I ever make it to Michigan but unfortunately it’s a long way to go from where I live in Melbourne, Australia!