Bandcamp Goodies

Comments

• @ScissorMan: My favorite twins on Bandcamp are Evelyn Evelyn.
  • Listening to the Konntinent album now. Thanks amclark2!

Craig
  • edited December 2010
    There's also this one:
    a-front.jpg
    All Lines Lead In
    - Not a Bandcamp goodie though, but a Serein goodie. (of which there's many)

I believe this was his debut.
    I've actually written a review in 2007, I almost forgot about that.
  • edited December 2010
    This is another quite-good freebie, if you're into shoegazers:

Collider - Strobos EP

5294071-1.jpg
  • The Efterklang guitarist has a solo album out. Here's the EP from it...

http://frederikteigemusic.bandcamp.com/
  • nice grooves

these ain't songs but it is still nice listening

http://1lovebeats.bandcamp.com/album/beats-dreams
  • edited December 2010
    jazz hip hop from portugal -- very well f'in done:

http://adamandlizamusic.bandcamp.com/album/the-pyramid-sessions-2010
  • I didn't recognize the name Timothy Monger, but you've heard him if you've listened to The Original Brothers and Sisters of Love or the Great Lakes Myth Society.
  • Triptides.jpg

surfy summery stuff recorded "in a basement in Bloomington, IL", perfect for shovelling the driveway this morning, name your price.
  • 3575956778-1.jpg

very nice sounding indie rock. reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on exactly what. maybe a bit of Arcade Fire and a bit of the Wrens? name your price.
  • edited December 2010
    I have recently bought most of the catalog of offthesky (= Jason Corder) in one place or another. I have not enjoyed all of it equally but there's some really great low-key experimental electronic music and ambient music in here. And he seems like a really nice guy - responds to emails, takes an interest, willing to talk about his music. Several of his recordings on Bandcamp have links to where you can get lower bitrate versions for free from netlabels (the one below, plus Du Soleil, Caustic Light Studies; there are a also a couple of netlabel releases not listed on the bandcamp page such as Evolute Of An Ion Apple on IOD/SEM and Dwelling Spells on Zymogen, though personally these two were not my favorites. There's one , maybe two on Resting Bell as well.).

This album is one that I enjoyed more the more I listened and can be had for free (follow the links) or cheap (from bandcamp):

1169044927-1.jpg

offthesky - studies of lifeform in transit

(Added) If anyone is interested in his free releases, there's a helpful aggregation of them here: http://postrockcommunity.blogspot.com/2008/08/off-sky-discography-all-creative.html. There's some really nice moments in here, though I do prefer several of his for-purchase recordings.
  • smallerslack.jpg

Nice instrumental hip-hop. Free.
  • 3974102276-1.jpg

really digging this - lo fi garagey stuff. Free! But they ran out of free for this month. But they provide links to where you can still get it free!
  • I wish Bandcamp would implement listener accounts that would allow us to more easily keep track of bands we like on there. Right now I'm using delicious, but it's a little awkward.
  • @thom +++ This is so impossibly necessary it is not even funny, plus if we are dreaming I'd like a last.fm style "oh snap! if you like this you'll pop for this..."
  • I've been using Read It Later, but AFAIK it's only for Firefox 3.x.

I guess Bandcamp's philosophy, such as it is, is that they don't want anyone to mistake them for an online music shop - marketing is the bands' job, and if Bandcamp went to any real lengths to develop a community or social network within Bandcamp itself, that might actually detract from bands' own efforts. I'm not sure I agree with that, in fact I'm fairly certain I don't, but I suspect it does help them reduce their overhead quite a bit.
  • It is frustrating re-finding and tracking things, and a recommendation engine would be nice, but I think that things that help them keep their overhead down might be cause for thankfulness - might keep them a bit longer from the slippery slope towards being like everyone else.
  • I think Bandcamp is really trying to take their time and completely think through any new features. Reading their blog, I see that they held off on adding a Facebook "Like" button until they realized that's where most traffic was coming from. And even then they give the bands a choice.

As much as I'd like to see this come from them, my guess is that they really don't want to take on the management of consumer accounts unless it really makes sense. Most likely delicious, read it later, etc. are our best bet.
  • edited December 2010
    - I don't know about delicious, is that the same thing as RSS feed ?

In my Windows 7 IE there's a RSS icon rss_icon.gif that turns red whenever there's feed available.
    By clicking on the icon you can subschribe.

IE:
    Labels:
    Dynamophone

And artists:
    Bas van Huizen

- And the main page has a search box. (with Google search)
  • edited December 2010
    - This brilliant free album showed up in my feed reader a couple of days ago:
    3222275371-1.jpg
    Bas van Huizen - Gewelfsterver
  • @Brighternow, Delicious is a delightful social bookmarking tool that I use largely in solitary fashion (I do display my DLs on my blog) but like Thom and others I use it as a means to keep track of where I've been or want to be by slapping a virtual post-it note on it.
  • I just use old-fashioned real post-it notes.
  • @amclark2 Analog overlays on a digital space? Mind. Blown. ;-)
  • edited December 2010
    Another one from my post-its:

2517196478-1.jpg

Nice synth poppy stuff- reminds in some ways of the Silver Apples - free.

[edit]:As I get more into this it gets more dream-poppy - bits of JAMC and shoegazy stuff, Lush maybe? really pretty nice.
  • All India Radio have a new free EP out to accompany their new album release:
    690608070-1.jpg

Free EP by All India Radio

and if you don't know their back catalogue there's a free collection that has some remixes etc of tracks from past albums and gives a very good sense of the overall flavor:

1919160824-1.jpg

Once a Day by All India Radio

It's nice, dreamy downtempo background music from Australia; there are tracks that get too muzak-ish for my ear, but there's also stuff I really like. I enjoyed the These Winter Dreams album, which is perhaps their most ambient.
  • @amclark2 - doesn't it get hard to see the screen after a while?
  • @Brighternow Brilliant indeed. Downloaded, adopted, indwelt, hugged. Thank you.
  • 6a0120a7d3fc09970b0133f65113c3970b-320wi

Nice lo-fi indie rock. Free.
  • 3932710569-1.jpg

This one is special, but not sure how to describe it. Maybe Bon Iver, Julianna Barwick and Pygmalion era Slowdive all in a room, with Fennesz producing. Free.

And Panda Bear on drums.
  • 4272688392-1.jpg

good good lo-fi indie rock. doesn't exactly sound like GBV, but riyl GBV, if that makes any sense. Free.