Bandcamp Goodies

Comments

• teen-daze-beach-dreams.jpg?w=350&h=350

Chiming guitars, reverbed harmonies, what's not to love? Name you price.
  • - Sounds a bit like Mew gone surfing, very nice !
  • 1853757929-1.jpg

self consciously "chillwave." likeable. free.
  • I just have to say thanks to you bandcamp experts. I've been busy at home with the new baby and haven't had nearly as much time to explore as I'd like. You guys and gals are saving me.

So, thanks!

Craig
  • edited December 2010
    63301.jpeg?rendered

free sampler. real nice so far.
  • This thread is like visiting emusic every day and checking the recommendations but not having to wait for refresh day to actually hear the music. Amiestreet could be like this too before it died. Nice.
  • edited December 2010
    This is rather pleasant to work to. Ambient-ish, starts out sounding like Stars of the Lid but then gets more into guitars and percussion...perhaps a bit lively for shoegaze...bit more like instrumental post-rock in places. Name your price, no minimum (edit: and it's $8.99 on Amazon!). Might just pay a little for this one though. Nice artwork.

969905718-1.jpg

Carry Us All Away by Lowercase Noises
  • anybody listening to that comp - skip straight to number 12 by Girls Names - super pretty, oddly way quieter than everything else which is a funny but effective way to make something stand out.
  • @amclark2 Nice. Am enjoying #13 too.
  • yeah, from 12 on to the end they're all pretty great.
  • edited December 2010
    amclark2 - FYI the link on the sampler is just to the image. I tracked it down, though, and will be listening to it shortly. Currently on the Dubmatrix from up thread. So good.

Craig

edit: I fixed the link - Mutex
  • ...anybody listening to that comp - skip straight to number 12 by Girls Names - super pretty, oddly way quieter than everything else...
    That's the Julee Cruise "love theme" from the "Twin Peaks" soundtrack, isn't it? I'm pretty sure it is.

Thanks for the rec on the Teen Gaze album - I might just buy that one! It would be nice if we could embed the players here - that would probably require some sort of custom-BBCode capability, and I don't know if Vanilla has that...

I keep finding these things, but I rarely actually buy any. When I finally get around to cancelling my eMu subsciption I intend to earmark the money I've been spending there for Bandcamp stuff, but it was just so much more fun when it was credits...
    3694011618-1.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    1807173905-1.jpg
    So/On - "Deep End Dents" (Fissure.Recordings 2010)

7 tracks of processed autoharp, electric guitar, field recordings and computer. Loops and layers of slow moving tones and textures.
    tags: loops, drone, electronic, minimal.

- Name your price.
  • edited February 2011
    1671735065-1.jpg
    Amanda Palmer Performs The Popular Hits Of Radiohead On Her Magical Ukulele
    $0.84.

- Her version of "No Surprises" is just soooo fucking special !
  • It's just one song, but it's a nice pop tune, very catchy, and free:

2052360722-1.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    - From the Etherkreet page:

1489806523-1.jpg
    Bas van Huizen - Nylonrijp
    (€3 EUR or more)

- In return for his generosity by posting 4 free albums I decited to pay double price for his Maanzaaier album.
    I subsequently got a thank you email from him with a promotion code with access to a free version of the Nylonrijp album.

- My love affair with Bandcamp grows stronger by the day.
  • edited December 2010
    Couldn't get to sleep last night. Listening to this was a nice, restful alternative. Gently reflective piano/drone ambient. Free download.

440933151-1.jpg

Memories Fade Under a Shallow Autumn Snow by Language of Landscape
  • edited January 2011
    Should this thread be stickied?

----
    Hello, Dr. Mutex here. I've come from the future to tell you that this thread will be stickied on 1/25/2011.
  • I think we should avoid too many sticky threads. Ones like this get bumped regularly enough that they never fall to the second page anyway.
  • edited December 2010
    I think it's a good idea.
    I've had my eyes on "Memories" for a while, maybe it's time for my ears. . .

edit: OTOH, Thom has a point. so. . . . ?
  • edited December 2010
    Just curious - is there any group etiquette here about how to use a couple of these threads in conjunction? I have in mind this one and the sticky 'free stuff' thread and the what I'm listening to now thread. Clearly it would often be possible to post an album to all three threads (and maybe the new releases thread also), and I have seen some folk doing duplicate posts. I've been assuming that it helps reduce clutter to post in only one place (rather than making another possible assumption that it helps people find things if they are in several places). Is that right? If I remember rightly I've been putting it here if it's bandcamp unless it's a notable new release (which I take to be a new release by a band folk may have already heard of); and on the 'now listening' thread if I'm listening and it might be of interest to someone but it's not from bandcamp. I think having amclark2's name in the free stuff thread put me off from using that one at first - it sounds a bit like like ownership, but I suspect that is a misapprehension.

Am I doing this right? Would hate to help cause entropy on this remarkably fine board. (And I mean that quite sincerely - so far I am enjoying this place immensely).
    Thanks

(edit: as I read that back it seems very wordy. Sorry, happens to me when I'm trying to be precise in what I'm conveying. Professional disease.)
  • edited December 2010
    Well, it might at least be useful to put the free albums (as opposed to priced and name your own price) in the free music thread that is stickied.

ETA: What are people paying for name-your-own-price? I've only once bought such an album, paring something like 15 cents per track and 40 cents for every ten minutes.
  • Clearly it would often be possible to post an album to all three threads (and maybe the new releases thread also), and I have seen some folk doing duplicate posts.
    If I had cross-posted in both free album and listening to now threads, Brighternow would have been listening to Hayvanlar Alemi all year long.
  • I'd be happy to have my name taken off the "free" thread, although I'd hate to see that one unstuck and a new one started because it's a great archive.
  • edited December 2010
    AFAIC there is no etiquette. . .

It makes sense to me that a bandcamp is a bandcamp regardless of the price.
    - and what you are listening to is . . . . - regardless of it's origin.
    - and a new and notable is . . . . . - regardless of its origin.

But that is just me
  • edited December 2010
    I wouldn't worry about etiquette around these parts. I've only been teasing amclark2 about it because of jUj bringing up post count in one thread. Threads go on and off topic and shit happens, no big deal. If you've got something that works in more than one thread, post it.

I just posted about Tom Jones because I was listening to him. Now I'm thinking a thread needs to be started because his voice is pure sex... cross-posting threads becomes more necessary now that the board is getting a lot more traffic. At the beginning of this year I would have read every post that had been made on any given day. Now I focus on the threads that are about my immediate interest and save the other ones for when I have time.

tl;dr The board will take care of itself, post when and where you feel is appropriate :)
  • edited December 2010
    OK, that's at least reassuring that I'm not about break some unwritten rule. Seems to boil down to use your common sense unless someone nudges you in another direction. Thanks all.
    @Bad Thoughts re name your own price I've found for me it really varies by album. Sometimes I go for the free option if I really marginally care for it and just want to have another listen offline (I can always pay for it later by repurchasing if it merits it). Sometimes I pay a couple of dollars if it's average netlabel/hobby musician quality but I like it enough to think the artist should have some reward. (In those cases I figure better they get a little from me than the alternative of me deciding it's not worth full price and moving on). And sometimes I pay more like market rates if I think it's great work and deserves to be the day job. Sometimes I only like one track but have to download the album to get it - then 50 cents seems appropriate. So no real general rule.

Edit: Another variable is that sometimes name your own price albums are fully free downloads on other netlabel sites, and they are just leaving the donation door open on bandcamp; sometiems they are full price albums on Amazon and are using bandcamp to be flexible. So again hard to generalize.
  • I'd be happy to have my name taken off the "free" thread
    It doesn't bother me now, in fact seems like a nice personal touch/local color - it just made the thread seem more proprietary at first before I spent time reading it.
  • That's how I'm doing the "name your price", too. I've only done a couple so far, most recently $1.50 for the Teen Daze rec above. Had I LOVED it, probably would have given a dollar a song. With the death of Amie and eMu I'm trying to break away from being too hung up on how much I'm paying per track.
  • 3736475038-1.jpg
    The last few days of summer have arrived and as a perfect bridge between the warm summer nights and the cozier autumn evenings, Maps & Transit offer us a beautiful album filled with sunlight and nostalgia.

On ' songs for divining ' Kyle Dawkins & Julie Phillips masterly concocted an evoking sense of travelling. From track to track, their american folk and experimental electronica bring us from the 50s south-american bayoos to simple, fragile polaroids of obscure forests.

Good combination of banjo, sounding like it came from source recordings, backed by electronica. Name your own price.