7 Digital Sale

Comments

• Ah, it's her birthday today - that explains it.
  • The question from yesterday has been fixed to say "Day 4". I noticed the error as well, it had me puzzled for a while.
  • Nice selection of Warner albums for 5 bucks today, including Regina Spektor and Flaming Lips, among others.
  • edited December 2010
    While the sale (1 Kanye West today) continues to be, bar Day One, a big snooze for me, here are two selections that might merit consideration - Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings 2-fer for $8.99 which is not a bad price - I myself like his albums a lot, and have, I think, all of them - link.
    Also found this insane 109 track comp for $8.99 - The History of Rhythm & Blues Volume 3 The Rock'n'Roll Years -link
    . I don't know exactly how many of these songs I already have but I'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch here I don't - until now. If you don't have the original of Red Hot by Billy "The Kid" Emerson then you don't got a lot. Just a crazy good bunch of songs.
  • edited December 2010
    Roadrunner Records sale today, rather select sale since 9 lousy albums ain't no label sale to me at least, and I already have Hellbilly Deluxe 2, and it's not even the deluxe version. Bah humbug. It's actually Mordac's fault I'm in a pissy mood - just cleared dozens more albums from my SFL's because 1. They're not available anymore, 2. I'll be damned if I'll pay $5.99 for some 39 or 40 minute long ancient s**t, it needs to be golden for that price - bad news for some of the really old Rounder releases I had squirreled away, won't be replacing that cassette!, and 3. That BS we got about pricing - lots of these releases that were put in these SFLs long before this are now, very arbitrarily it seems, priced well above the $5.99/0.49 per track point. I'll be damned...(said in the vocal style of Christopher Walken). I'm going to go put on Brian Setzer real loud and decorate the tree some more, which our two former street urchin cats have been kind enough not to mess with so far, little angels that they are.
  • Gosh, it's what every tiny tot dreams of for Christmas - some Zombie. Thanks, Santa.
  • ...and apparently 7digital thinks 12 comes after 19...
  • Now we're talking...it is James Brown, y'all. Many $3 albums, but not to be overlooked is a whole series of multi-disc "singles collections" for 6.99.
  • Many $3 albums, but not to be overlooked is a whole series of multi-disc "singles collections" for 6.99.
    So many tracks are truncated on Star Time that the albums are still a good deal. I'm looking at Soul on Top and Hell.
  • I am looking at

Foundations of Funk (3:53:03!)
    Make It Funky/The Big Payback

Possibly both.
  • edited December 2010
    Finally, the first real happening since Day One of this so-called sale. Already got Soul On Top and In The Jungle Groove downloading - and took them out of my eMu SFL - A UMG Holding Cell. I got The Singles Vol. 9 when they had it for $4 and it's nice, Oh, and is $3.99 currently at Amazon - will be looking at the rest of the series, or rather the other three on sale ( which are $14.45 at Amazon FYI) . Maybe that Famous Flames comp too.

Edit- Sweet! Soul On Top and In The Jungle Groove whatever they're encoded in it's not Fraunhofer because they're in Joint Stereo. Bite me, eMu. And Merry Christmas.
  • *NB* there is something screwy on "Foundations of Funk"...track listing is duplicated, I think. So we can probably ignore that ~4-hour play time....
  • This is more like it. Are there any specific album recs for Brown? I honestly don't have any. Figure I should at least get the 20 greatest hits, but might skip/supplement if a couple album are classics.
  • I went with Payback, There It Is, and Hell. Basically went to allmusic and sorted by rating and grabbed the top three that sounded good.
  • Plain and simple, there is no wrong answer thom.

I'm definitely getting Hell, though. A nearly 14 minute version of "Papa Don't Make No Mess"? Yes, please.

Craig
  • edited December 2010
    Agreed with Craig: there's a lot of easy targets to hit. I think many of us here would be more into the Afro-conscious/Blaxploitative/Fela-reduced-to-7-minutes version of James Brown that appeared in the early to mid-70s. Sex Machine, Revolution of the Mind, There it Is, Get On the Good Foot, Black Caesar, The Payback, and Hell are a terrific string of records. Every records had several incredible tracks; a few were less than consistent, however. Some of the comps and singles collections focus more on the long-form funk that Brown was working on.
  • All Kanye albums are now on sale for $2 or $3 other than the new one that is still $5.

Craig
  • RE: James Brown. Those singles collections are amazing, but I feel they are more geared towards the hardcore Brown fan than the titles might indicate. Also, without the liner notes, you might wonder why you've just listened to the same song a couple times in a row. They're great collections and essential to charting the growth of Brown as an artist, but they don't necessarily make the easiest listening on their own.

Bad thoughts is pretty much dead on. The 70s albums he listed are all good and the comps Make It Funky and Foundation of Funk are pretty much essential. In fact, I'd say if you're looking for more than a hits collection, but not quite ready to deal with filler that sometimes populated the albums, stick with the comps.

Also, I'll put in a vote for Soul on Top if you want to hear a totally different side of Brown. Think jazzy crooner. Not an essential album by any means, but it's become a favorite just because it's something he didn't do so much outside of concerts.
  • Well, it's going to be a Funky, Funky Christmas - speaking of which, anybody have any of the J.B. Christmas albums? I need to clear out some backed up stuff to make room on the desktop first anyway. Any thoughts on today's offering from The Flaming Lips - Embryonic ?
  • I got Embryonic from emu and have really, really loved it. I thought I was done with Flaming Lips. Turned out I was wrong.
  • edited December 2010
    Wake up, sleepyheads. Did you notice that inconspicuous $3 Albums box on the left? Sweet, not as fab as last year but suffice to say I'm going to need almost 3G of space before I can download what I got - nice thing about their Locker being that you can come back later. Best thing - most of what I got is UMG - hah! Merry Christmas, y'all.

And as a poster at eMu has pointed out Star Time the box is up for $3 for any who didn't get it last year - it's not on J.B.'s page so you might have to search the title as I did to confirm this was so. Here's a link - that's 0.04/track, man. And in spite of getting it last year it was nice to find how little actual duplication there was with the albums I got this year - different versions or edits I guess.
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks for pointing that out BigD!

I forgot how insanely slow the 7digital downloader is on several albums, though.

Craig
  • Thanks! Picked up several...Tom Jones, Bill Laswell, Daft Punk (to see what the fuss is about), India.Arie (for my wife) - hit four genres for $12!
  • For me it's:

Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
    Die Antwoord - $O$
    Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh
    James Brown - Hell
    Lee "Scratch" Perry - Jamaican E.T.
    Maximum Balloon - s/t

Good stuff.

Craig
  • Daft Punk (to see what the fuss is about)

the fuss is justified.
  • again i'm convinced that 7digital is a pain-in-the-ass (i downloaded the download manager, but the albums i bought aren't getting processed through it; so i think i'll -- once again -- have to (a) save them in my external drive; (b) burn them to a disc; (c) delete them from my external drive; and (d) import them from the disc). this is the same problem i have with amazon.com, iirc.
  • edited December 2010
    Their DLM is a PITA and hinky - I've discovered I need to be on the Locker page, then turn on the DLM and wait for it to be acknowledged below the download buttons - it says Using Download Manager or something - for it to work, and then it's still slower than frozen s**t. Only advantage over zip file which also takes forever is that zips have stalled on me a couple of times. For $3 albums I'm very forbearing however. Got some good stuff today.
  • edited December 2010
    now my "locker" says i've downloaded one of my purchases too many times, and can't download it again. and, of course, the repeated downloads are because i'm trying to get the DLM to work.

never again, i think. not that it matters; only a $3.00 purchase, but still. . . i kind of feel similarly about amazon.com.
  • No problems here with either downloader, and I have gotten quite a bit from both 7digital and Amazon.
  • Daniel, write their CS - same thing happened to me once - it may take a few days but you should receive an e-mail eventually saying they've adjusted your locker so that you can download again.