7 Digital Sale

Comments

• 7digital has some of the box sets by Musical Concepts at $9.99. I'm not sure of their quality. However, there is at least one thing that caught my eye: The Complete Vanguard Classics Recordings - Folk Songs And Ballads by Alfred Deller and the Deller Consort. It consists of almost 10 albums of Early Music, popular and Classical, that represent among the first efforts to revive English traditional music. The downside is that this is a needle drop, and in some places, it's not necessarily a thoughtful one.
  • Thanks BT - it is also available in UK at a similar price £7.99. At 5p per track overall I see a download coming soon....
  • New second album from Joe Bonamassa's rock side project Black Country Communion 2 is $5 at 7digital. Of course if you had any self control you could wait out the rest of the week and see if Amazon offers it as a Deal of the Day for $3.99 like the first one (after I had pre-ordered the CD of course), but what the heck.
    Also in the not new $5 section, if you don't have them, the best album by the Cardigans Gran Turismo, and I think Mothership Connection by P-Funk is new to the list as well.
  • Free track from Black Country Communion at CD Universe
  • Some great deals on large New World collections--these are major contributions to the Avant Garde:

MEV 40 with Musica Elettronica Viva, Alvin Curran, Frederic Rzewski, Richard Teitelbaum, Steve Lacy

Music from the ONCE Festival 1961-1966

Eastman: Unjust Malaise

The shortest of these--the last--is over three hours.
  • Wow, thanks for those pointers, BT.
  • edited June 2011
    Supraphon sets that are cheap at 7digital:
    Beethoven: Symphonies
    Dvor
  • Wow, that Kletzki Beethoven Symphonies is $43.49 for DL over at Amazon. Thanks, BT.
  • Wow, thanks BT. I've been eyeing the Martinu String Quartets at other places where it is much more expensive.
  • @cwOO: I've just been getting back into Czech classical: I just got the Martinu Violin and Piano works and I love them. I might have to get some Janacek next.

Here's some Braxton at $8.99
    23 Standards (4 1/2 hours)
    20 Standards (just under 5 hours)
  • Cool, check out this Album of Janacek Opera Suites.

This one too is a good collection.
  • The new Bon Iver Album $5 this week.
  • Yep Roc, indeed, the new Dave Alvin - Eleven Eleven is $5. I didn't see that earlier in the day - best price, unless Amazon decides to do Deal of the Day sometime this week.
  • Carried over from the Freshly Dropped at eMusic thread because this is a steal -

Holy Rhythm & Blues, Batman, er, I mean BT - thanks to your other tip I was poking around at 7digital and realized that this beauty at $8.99 is the 4 disc set The History of Rhythm and Blues 1925-1942 that is represented at eMusic on the aforementioned Rhythm & Blues Records label by 4 separate albums (the grey covers with black writing), at $5.99 each not exactly bad deals but the box, all 97 tracks, for $8.99 - a steal.
  • To follow up on BigD's find, 7Digital also has the third volume in the History of Rhythm & Blues series (1952-1957 - The Rocknroll years) here. A whopping 109 tracks for $8.99.
  • Thanks Muggsy - 7 pence per track can hardly be bettered anywhere!
  • I got that Dave Alvin at 7digital. Love it, love it, love it. I already had and loved Harlan County Line cos I'm a big Justified fan but the whole thing is wonderful. Poor Johnny Ace!
  • I got the Dave Alvin too, and just listened to it. Excellent stuff, as usual.
  • Yes, the Johnny Ace saga falls into that Sad But True/You Have Got To Be Kidding Me category.
    Have you ever heard the Dash Rip Rock song Johnny Ace? Best version (with accompanying banter) is off their live album Boiled Alive, which I do recommend in its own right - very sick puppies, but they rock.
  • edited June 2011
    Another bottom feeding comp at 7dig - Fats Domino & the Rhythm&Blues Friends - 112 tracks, $8.99. If you'd like the artist listing take a gander at it on eMu- link - where it's an $11.98 2 disc set, or Amazon. Haven't the time to do extensive sample trolling right now.
    Identical situation on this one, except it was actually buried in my SFL at eMu - Rare 78 RPM Rhythm and Blues Cuts, $8.99, 7dig, and eMu $11.98 link.
  • edited June 2011
    That is an excellent set, BT - I got it at eMu back when it was a single album price, not as the 3-disc they've got now. Any more Document goodies? Ummm, Document.

I have this one on SFL (concern for overlap? I don't remember) but it like those above now cheaper at 7digital than eMu (see there for full artist listing) -Memphis Blues - 100 Vintage Tracks.

The set I really have the hots for is Hamhocks and Cornbread, on the JSP label, but they have it broken into 4 volumes at 7dig, and the CD box is just not to be found, at least not new. It never went to album pricing at eMu so I only have some selections from it. Maybe I should just spend some money on something I want that badly.
  • edited June 2011
    Other Documents?

[url-http://us.7digital.com/artists/blind-willie-mctell/blind-willie-mctell--statesboro-blues-the-early-years-1927-1935/]Statesboro Blues[/url] by Blind Williem McTell
    Blues, Blues Christmans

Documents has lots of great source material, but it's starting to look a little expensive considering the age and quality of the recordings. I'd love it if they would come down a buck or two.
  • edited June 2011
    Got Blues, Blues Christmas back in the day too. That and Rockin' Blues Christmas and you have about half a season's worth. Looking over that Document roster I wish I had gotten more at the time - there are a lot of not bad deals at around 20-25 tracks each but I guess I was scoffing up bigger fish to fry. It's just all those series are broken up into volumes, so very few super deals. Will keep looking.

Just realized (thanks to newly consolidated library - takes the place of brain cells) why I didn't get Memphis Blues - 100 Vintage tracks - because I had all 4 volumes in this outstanding JSP series already - Memphis Blues:Important Postwar Blues, so yeah there's more than a bit of overlap there. I would figure that one is out there on CD still too. (Yes, but no box set it turns out - makes eMu the spot for it).
  • @BDB: I saw Dash Rip Rock play a Halloween Show 3-4 years ago in Lafayette, Louisiana at this strange House/Hostel Patio Bar called the Blue Moon Salon. Quite a fun show and the audience had some of the best Halloween costumes I've ever seen.
  • edited July 2011
    So this is a new Brian Eno? Five bucks at 7digital.
  • edited July 2011
    Hey, mon, who can help me out with this? My wife mentioned someone at work had played a great Bob Marley song Johnny Was A Good Man so I was searching for it and my only hit is a Bunny Wailer version on this album, Hall Of Fame, which is up at 7digital for $8.99, 52 tracks, $3 less than eMu, $11 less than iTunes. Being as I always liked Bunny I'm thinking OK, works for me. Anyone know if it was on a Wailers album? Search turns up zip so far. Also of interest 7digital has this 60 track Tribute To Bob Marley by Bunny also at $8.99, again rather lower than the competition, so I figured I'd shout it out. If I like the first I might return, after checking for overlap.

Ah, got it - on Rastaman Vibration but as Johnny Was. I got me some Bunny anyhow.
  • edited July 2011
    For the sake of completeness I'm transferring this post over from the Mispriced/Box Set thread - sorry, the links won't carry over, so go there if you're interested.
    I've been ferreting out some JSP box sets available at 7digital, so I'll just add them as I go along -
    1. Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs & the Stanley Brothers 1947-1953 - 4 discs, 94 tracks, $8.99.
    2. Flatt & Scruggs & the Stanley Brothers Selected Cuts 1952-1959 - 4 discs, 100 tracks, $8.99.
    3.Rare West Coast Jump and Jive 1945-1954 - 4 discs, 101 tracks, $8.99.
    4.Blind Blake - All The Published Sides - 5 discs, 110 tracks, $8.99.
    5. Lightnin' Hopkins All The Classics 1946-1951 - 5 discs, 126 tracks, $8.99.
    6. Big Joe Turner All The Classic Hits 1938-1952 - 5 discs, 126 tracks, $8.99.
    7. Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys All The Classic Releases 1937-1949 - 4 discs, 112 tracks, $8.99.
    8. Bix and Tram - 4 discs, 84 tracks, $8.99.

That's it for now, over and out.

I'm back. Found this in a SFL at eMu so this may have been brought up before, but 7dig has it - Charlie Parker On Dial - The Complete Sessions - 89 tracks, $7.99. I'm having some notion of discussion as to whether this is so complete (?), but that's a bunch of Bird none the less.

Here is also a Blind Willie McTell comp on Document that's a deal too.

Note to self type - 7dig has this George Jones set from Fantastic Voyage that disappeared from Emu.