Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Current peeve, recently Google Play reconfigured so that if you buy an album and then click "Listen" to take you to the other part of the site where you can actually download the album, it now takes you to their radio feature, and you have to do several more clicks to get to your library and download the thing. I can understand them wanting to push their radio thing when I am browsing, but one might imagine that if I just bought an album I might actually want to download it. They seem to want to make that part as hard as possible, like I am being punished for daring to actually buy an album instead of joining their streaming service.
  • You might want to act fast on this one as 7digital have gotten better at correcting these.

Popol Vuh - The Werner Herzog Soundtracks

Popol Vuh, The Werner Herzog Soundtracks, 5 disk set, $26 emusic, $40+ elsewhere, $10.49 at 7digital.
  • edited May 2016

Almost certainly mispriced, so get it before it's fixed. I know little or nothing about this, but it's from Numero Group, so good enough for me.

From 1978 to 1981, the Titan label issued just eight records, but over the years their tiny catalog has crawled to the top of power-pop want lists worldwide and appeared on scads of homemade tapes, building a legacy to rival L.A.’s Bomp! or New York’s Ork. Cut off in fly-over country, Titan fostered a scene of its own, imported its own skinny ties, and scoured the Missouri valley for its own talent. The label’s Midwest AM bubblegum roots are apparent in the likes of Gary Charlson, the Secrets*, Arlis!, Gems, Millionaire At Midnight, the Boys, J.P. McClain & the Intruders, Bobby Sky, and Scott McCarl, but Titan’s acts took cues from Stiff too, along with the glam-punk spit being hocked off the 100 Club stage.

• Doofy said:

Almost certainly mispriced, so get it before it's fixed. I know little or nothing about this, but it's from Numero Group, so good enough for me.

Not at £21.84 it isn't (sad face)...

• edited May 2016
    Brian Eno's Neroli is mispriced at Google Play. It costs regular album price elsewhere, but they have each of the two one-hour tracks for 99 cents.

• Morton Feldman: For Philip Guston (1984), 16 tracks, 265 minutes for $6.49. Poke around on the Label hat ART CD, there are other multi-disc avant garde sets, such as the Anthony Braxton Quartet live at Santa Cruz, 1993 (four long tracks, 145 minutes).
  • If you are a fan of Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, which I am, you might want to check out this page for Edsel/The Orchard, http://www.emusic.com/browse/album/all/label:213798/?sort=newest , by Recent Additions because much of his catalog is there, but look for the 3 volumes of Kings of Rhythm that are four albums on each at single price.  Also further down the page is White Lightnin', a four album of his solo work post-Stones, 65 songs.  Also see the 31 song version of Roger The Engineer by The Yardbirds which if you didn't have I'd have to recommend.

• For those who enjoy the Bach Guild Big Box sets, several new sets appeared in the last month, including a Bigger Beethoven set (15 Hours). There volumes two and three Big Chamber Music sets now, and an English Music set.

Buy them all and get a lifetime membership in the "Too Much is Never Enough" thread.  

You need to have the patience to deal with Amazon downloads and then spend part of an afternoon retagging the files, but for 99 cents each it is worth the extra time. I used Tag&Rename to swap artist to comment, then re-tag the artist with the composer, etc.  
  • edited June 2016
    Cover art 

The Complete 1963 Copenhagen Concert (Doxy Collection Live) [feat. Don Cherry Quartet]

I have a feeling of deja vu but cannot find a previous post of this...it is currently $1.99 at Google Play, 88 minutes. Sound quality is not amazing.
  • That was me a few weeks ago, Prof.  Lousy recording, but the wild and woolly music makes it all worthwhile. I gather there are some number of other tracks from that concert not on this collection
  • Ah, thought I had seen it somewhere.
  • Three weeks ago, I was talking with a couple of guys about that Rollins/Cherry side..
    It has the Graz concerts from 1966 as extras on the two disc version.
  • Jazz Icons from the Golden Era - Sonny Rollins, 511 minutes for $5.19. From the same label, Charlie Parker Vol. 1 is 218 minutes, Vol. 2 is another 290 minutes. The rest of the offerings from this label are large collections out-of-copyright jazz and blues. Nothing else quite like the Rollins set, though. 
  • Plong42 said:
    Jazz Icons from the Golden Era - Sonny Rollins, 511 minutes for $5.19. From the same label, Charlie Parker Vol. 1 is 218 minutes, Vol. 2 is another 290 minutes. The rest of the offerings from this label are large collections out-of-copyright jazz and blues. Nothing else quite like the Rollins set, though. 
    Meanwhile over in Yerp that's £35.28 has Brexit got anything to do with this (lame joke!)

• Don't have a link because I'm on my phone, but last night I found and downloaded Numero Group's "Eccentric Soul Omnibus" - 88 songs, 5 discs, Numero Group picking out rare unknown soul songs - $6.49 :)

Here's a link to the Numero Group's write-up:
    http://www.numerogroup.com/products/eccentric-soul-omnibus

Also in the last few days I found that Chrome's "Chrome Box" and The Bats "Vol. 1", both around 50 + tracks are also cheap.
  • I just got that Eccentric Soul: Omnibus set, seemed too good to pass up. Three songs in, it's great. Definitely going to look for more stuff from Numero Group.
  • edited June 2016
    Hard to find out exactly what is on this, but...
    Cover art 
    La Planete Bleue
    79 minute mix of varied genres (Kalk/Spanish Breakfast/Azza/Ankle Injuries/Fjollini Standa Uti/Dzuüd/Telco/Earthfield/Organ in the attic sings the blues/Yangogo/Rassoul Al Houda/It Ain't Necessarly Evil/A Drifting Down/Blue Period · Daniel Lanois · Deadbeat · Désert Rebel · Fujiya & Miyagi · Jon Hassel · Jon Hopkins · Kasbah Rockers feat. Bill Laswell · Mari Boine + Mungolian Jet Set · Oreka TX · Oreka TXRone · Orka · Rone · Sky76 · Yas - are these artists performers? involved in mixing it? source material? Who knows.) held together by a kind of loose downtemponess/world music vibe, offered at full album price on emusic but 99 cents for the whole at Google Play. It can be listened to here.
  • rostasi said:
    Nice Enki Bilal cover if nothing else.
  • Complete Recordings by Coleman Hawkins & Ray Bryant, 3 disc set of five original LPs, 232 minutes, $6.49. 
  • Here is a review of the contents of the Complete Recordings by Coleman Hawkins & Ray Bryant from JazzViews.

The Black Satin label has one other set on eMu, The Complete Benny in Brussels (Live)
  • There is an extended version of Jon Hassell's City: Works of Fiction that includes 3 disks of material (the original album, a live album, and a collection of unreleased tracks) that is priced as a single album ($7.50 at emusic, 202 minutes.)
  • Leaps in Leicester
    Leaps in Leicester by Alexander Hawkins and Evan Parker is currently $3.99 at Google Play.
  • Glancing Blow
    A Glancing Blow by Evan Parker, John Edwards, Chris Corsano has two tracks, 28 and 48 minutes long respectively. At Google Play they are priced at 0.99 per track or $1.98 for the album.
  • Thanks to Germanprof and Plong42 just got that Coleman Hawkins & Ray Bryant set. It was a bit more than the $6.49 (£13.86 fact fans) and I could have got the cds for about that but hell I had the credit and a bit more Hawk is always a good thing. B)
  • Not quite such a deal as the other set, but 2 disks, 144 minutes, $6.49 at emusic.

Coleman Hawkins Quartet Complete 1962 Studio Recordings Good Old Broadway  No Strings  Make Someone Happy  Today and Now
  • Complete Studio Recordings album cover
    Four disks, 307 mins, $6.49 at emusic US. The original albums included are listed in Amazon reviews.
  • Another bargain from Numero Group: Syl Johnson, Complete Mythology (73 tracks for $6.99). Great stuff.

http://www.emusic.com/album/syl-johnson/complete-mythology/16805499/