Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• I find the web-cloud player to work adequately, the stand-alone is horrible. Constant crashes, slow, and does not see much of the music I actually have in the Amazon Cloud. No LastFM support either...
  • edited June 2015
    [Oops, wrong thread.]

Guess I haven't tried the Amazon player lately....I do subscribe to their Cloud service as a cheap last-ditch backup.  I do try to use the phone app occasionally...It doesn't handle my library very well, although perhaps that's not too surprising.
  • edited June 2015
    A relatively minor bargain here compared to some of the recent huge sets, but this is a two-disk release ("very fine" - AAJ review, 4.5 stars), 107 minutes, $5.19 on emusic. It was the inclusion of Colin Vallon on piano that caught my eye. I am liking what I am hearing as I sample it, think I will buy.

Dimensions Live album cover

• Not only mis-priced, but mis-spelled. Absolut Duke Ellington from Bela Records is almost 9 hours of early Duke for $6.49 at eMu, Amazon has it for $62.49. Search eMu for other Bela compilations, I see a Miles Davis that might be worth a look. 
  • Plong42, thanks for the Duke Ellington tip.  Interestingly, eMusic has the same release posted twice, once for $6.49 and once for $53.80.  Draw your own conclusions, but I grabbed it.
  • The cheaper is missing the E in Absolute. I assume vodka was involved. 
  • I saw that with the Ellington duplication and grabbed it too.  What the heck, so thank you, Plong42.  I think the download came in at 1.2GB, yippeekayyokayyeh or words to that effect.
  • 7digital has Redux, the new Jah Wobble box set, for $10.49. The downloadable version is 63 cuts, the CD version has 92. I'm assuming there were rights issues with the 29 cuts not on the downloadable version because 7digital and on Amazon are selling the same 63 songs. Amazon's price is $34.95 for the MP3 version, and $75 for the CD version.
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks, dell, downloading this now.

And re the Ellington, just looking through the Bela Records pages and my goodness do they ever need to find a friend who can do graphic design. Consistently dreadful album art. 

ETA, that Ellington box has the European-released version of East St. Louis Toodle-oo on it, not generally on US compilations as far as I could discover when I was searching for it a while back. It's my favorite version by far and one of my favorite things ever. Heart-rending trumpet work and amazing atmosphere.
    Over two hours, $4.40. More pathos than the steppes can hold.
  • Germanprof - I'm a graphic designer and I couldn't agree with you more about the Bela Records art.
  • If I buy any I am going to have to replace the art. I am not a graphic designer, but I am confident I can do better.
  • Here's a misprice bargain (likely of interest to @kez among others)
    :
    Rachel Podger playing La Cetra, well reviewed set, currently $1.40 at emusic, likely a mistake for $11.40 or so since it is a 2-disk set. Happily for me I was actually searching for this specific album to buy it at full price...

• edited July 2015
    And here's another one:

Well reviewed collection of Cello concertos by Vivaldi on Harmonia Mundi. Would you rather pay $11.80 for it or $4.54? I thought so.
    ETA: warning, terrible tagging. (Each concerto on a separate "disk", no RV numbers...information for retagging is here.)
  • @Germanprof, thanks for those.  I've been finding myself very drawn to Vivaldi lately, so those are just the thing.
  • Click on the label, there are a few more, including Glass: Metamorphosis, The Hours and Mahler: Symphony No. 1. I bought the Philip Glass disc, but I think I have enough Mahler for now. 
  • edited July 2015

This is presented on emusic as a 2-disk set for $6.49 but it is actually a four-disk set when on CD, coming in at 250:50. You can perhaps get a better idea of its contents here. I am not buying as I have a lot of the recordings from which this collection is culled. One warning: many albums on emusic from the naive classique label have a few truncated tracks. On the other hand, when I have reported these to emusic they have sometimes refunded the entire album price, resulting in a free album minus a few tracks. I have not checked the track times of this particular set against allmusic to see whether there are any defective ones here; it may be fine.
  • Just to mention, that Eccentric Soul box set that was ridiculously underpriced at eMu last week is now somewhat-less underpriced at Google Play:  https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Various_Artists_Eccentric_Soul_Omnibus?id=B4tnabhydvzsbomnzypincjpgx4&hl=en
  • edited July 2015
    Just noting a couple more of those $1.40 titles from Channel Classics Records at emusic:

Telemann and baroque gypsy music, so I understand. Really quite interesting from what I have heard so far.

Thanks to @kez for pointing me to the latter two.
  • edited July 2015
    re: "Eccentric Soul: Omnibus" @ Google.play  

I just tried to purchase this via the link provided by Doofy and got an error (can sample the album just fine, though).  Searching the Google.play site for "Eccentric Soul" doesn't bring it up.   Here's hoping it'll show up on 7-digital mis-priced and that I'll be able to snag it in time there.

ETA: The Google Play interface is so bizarre... I don't know where I was earlier when i tried to search but when I went back again via Doofy's link and hit the 'Home' button it took me to a totally different page where a search showed the album... but alas, still unable to purchase.
  • edited July 2015
    Hello, all. Tonight's topic is Rockbeat Records - there's a new box over
    at eMu so I looked it up on Amazon for some more info, which leads me
    to post a link for Rockbeat Records for your perusal - [url=http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n:163856011,p_33:Rockbeat+Records,p_n_feature_browse-bin:625150011&sort=relevancerank&unfiltered=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1438222653]Rockbeat Records[/url]
    The point here being that the box sets you will find amongst them I believe are all available at 7digital for around $10.49 which beats even the Booster bucks price at eMu.  I have previously gotten, and recommend, the Surf Age Nuggets, and Los Nuggetz collections, but the new ones I'm contemplating are the Super Rare Doo Wop Box,  and Hula Land, the Golden Age of Hawaiian Music, and most of all Rare Soul - Groove & Grind.  I may not get around to actual procurement until the weekend but I figured I would give the shout out.
    And by the way that Freddie King Going Down at Onkel Po's just dropped at eMu also - Amazon says it's from a European tour in his later years.  The samples didn't sound that great on the eMu site but I'm going to go back, maybe listen on Amazon, because there are some interesting song choices and long jams in it, especially for fans of Freddie.
  • @BigD-Bluez - This blows my mind (but not my cool): 1960s Psychedelic Radio Commercials
  • @luddite - I'll have to check that out - it's on eMu also.  I might even get a couple of bits - Green Slime was always one of my favorites, "something crawling across your mind.....Green Slime".
  • 50 tunes of jazz from Venus records, $6.49.
    Looks like a mixed bag, but a few good names. Basically a label sampler by the looks of things.
  • From WikiPedia: "Venus Records is a Japanese jazz record label. It was founded in 1992 by Tetsuo Hara, who had worked as a producer for RCA Victor. It mostly works with a select group of artists from Italy, the United States, and Japan, and uses a signature 24-bit mastering process, named "Hyper Magnum Sound," that produces "very powerful sound with strong presence". It is also known for its album covers, which use well-known photographers and frequently feature nudity."
  • edited August 2015
    For those who like Thomas Köner style extended glacial hums and crackles or just long form drones, Yann Novak's very nice hour long album of crackly humming titled Snowfall is available for 0.99 at Google Play ($6 to $9 elsewhere). Get ready for winter! (Tagged as Dance/Electronic, so file under the large pile of "things Google/Amazon don;t realize it would be hard to dance to")

Cover art
  • Good - because as we all know, "Winter is coming".
  • edited August 2015
    Man, I hope so!!! (47°C)

• What I am interested in is the weather in California during the last three weeks in September. Too far ahead here to get any detail.....
  • edited August 2015
    Well, looks like there's some new offerings from the Moochin' About label -  http://www.emusic.com/browse/album/all/label:738808/?sort=newest - the link is by most recent.  The Jailhouse Blues and the Greatest Instrumentals are fer sure for me - might not get around to digesting them for a couple of days, and some others there might be of interest too.  Any thoughts on this one from the other side of the pond - http://www.emusic.com/album/various-artists/a-history-of-jazz-in-britain-vol-1-230-british-jazz-classics/16108534/ - big collection.
    Oh, there's a Complete Singles comp on Acrobat of B.B.King, 50 tracks, and I myself have always loved his early stuff the best, and there's two Lavern Baker comps on Acrobat also, although the second only has 25 tracks - she was the real deal.
    Edit - so after a quick drive-by drive through the Moochin' About Greatest Instrumentals set, some observations - there are the usual suspects, some usual songs covered by other artists, and some unusual stuff.  I'd rec it for instrumental fans because of the quantity, and the presence of less well known songs - there are some real gems here, and especially at booster pack sale price it's a mad value.  Sound quality was OK for most, but it is terrible on all the Ventures items I listened to - fortunately those are things you probably had already.