Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• edited April 2014
    300x300.jpg

Now single-album-priced at eMu - a price drop, I think. In any case, it has been on my list for years, but now I have it :) I previously got vol 2, which is fantastic.
  • In case you were looking for another version of In C, Minimal Flute is priced as eMu for $1.70.

Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Philip Glass

1. Vermont Counterpoint
    2. Arabesque in Memoriam
    3. Piece in the Shape of a Square
    4. The 53 patterns of Terry Riley's "In C"
    5. In C
  • 300x300.jpg

This is a double CD set, priced at $5.84 at emusic US. Which with the current two for one booster sale amounts to $2.92. Has strong reviews.
  • Not for the faint of heart, but this 2-disc, 4-track set is 3.96 at Amazon US. Great line-up of young modern jazzists, incl Mary Halvorson and Tomas Fujiwara.

51pDUF9nX8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • In the U.S. an Art Pepper release came out on MOnday: 12 Classic Albums: 1954-1962. Cost is just $6.49. It's on Tritone (their only release). How is it? Not sure - don't know if I'll download it. I have at least 3 of the albums, and Smack Up the album is on the cover twice.

600x600.jpg
  • Here is the same set on Amazon, with the albums identified by tracks. I downloaded it and it sounds good, all studio albums from the mid- to late 50s. The Art Pepper Catalog has set information, I re-tagged them all to their original names, album art and years.
  • edited July 2014
    600x600.jpg
    4 hours of pioneering Free Jazz for $5.99.

ETA: Some of this is, apparently, interviews. How much, I don't know.
  • edited July 2014
    Based on the track listing, it seems 17(?) of the 68 tracks are music, 51(?) are interviews.
  • Not unlike The Complete Nat Hentoff Sessions (with Archie Shepp), 298 minutes of music and interviews.
  • From what I can tell, it still has about two and one quarter hours of music, which isn't bad. If you are inclined to listen to Ayler for that long, you might also enjoy the interviews.
  • edited July 2014
    Not a box set, but a pricing anomaly:
    The 1982 Herbie Hancock Trio with Ron Carter and Tony Williams release is $3.74 here - already an excellent price - but even cheaper at $3.24 here (and with my half price boosters it amounts to $1.62 - yes please!).
    (Naturally neither of them are actually filed on the Herbie Hancock Trio artist page).
  • Ok... I don't know the best thread to post this one in so ended up choosing this one.

Those of you who have a Windows 8 PC or device should definitely get yourself the Microsoft "Music Deals" app and check out the 100 free albums they are currently offering as a holiday bonus. Plus, this week they are offering 50 different 'box" sets for $1.99. There are some seriously good things to be had for free and for $1.99. Here are links to the fatwallet threads that I stumbled across this stuff:

link about the 100 free albums
    >>>>>>>>>
    Jessie J - Sweet Talker (Deluxe)
    Imagine Dragons - Night Visions (Deluxe)
    Eminem - Recovery (Explicit)
    U2 - The Joshua Tree (Deluxe, Remastered)
    Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
    Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
    Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak
    Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist (Deluxe)
    Eagles - The Long Run (Remastered)
    Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
    Fun - Some Nights
    Lady Gaga - The Fame
    John Lennon - Imagine (2010 Remaster)
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (Deluxe)
    Rihanna - Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded
    Weezer - Blue Album (Deluxe)
    The Weeknd - Trilogy
    Katy Perry - The Complete Confection
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (Remastered)

and many more
    >>>>>>>>>

link about the box sets
    >>>>>>>
    For example, the Complete Led Zeppelin, Neil Young's "Decade", The Grateful Dead's Complete Studio Albums box, The Doors Complete Studio Albums box, Nirvana's "With the Lights Out" box, "Once in a Lifetime: The Talking Heads" box, The Complete Smiths box, A John Coltrane Retrospective, "Message in a Bottle: The Police", a boxed set of Sinatra singles, a Tony Bennet box, a 5 album set by Radiohead, Joe's Garage Acts I, II and III by Frank Zappa, Lou Reed and also Velvet Underground boxes, Muddy Waters: The Chess Box, Def Jam Music: 10 Years, some R.E.M. boxes and it just goes on.
    >>>>>>>

PS: I have a windows 8 PC but rarely use it (it's the kid's PC). After seeing this deal I struggled mightily to learn the rudiments of navigating that stupid interface and after a good hour finally figured out what I needed to do. And then spent another hour downloading 100 albums and buying probably 20 or so box sets.
  • Wow! Thanks! Currently downloading Grateful Dead's complete studio albums for $1.99. Just got let it bleed for free. I'm actually asleep aren't I? Oh well; might as well enjoy the dream. Wow! Thanks!
  • Well, fired up my seldom used Windows 8 machine - as expected this "Music Deals" app is not available in the UK. So, no surprises there :(
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks, luddite. Not a huge amount that's in my wheelhouse, but for free I loaded up on a few things to check out at leisure. Two tracks (#8 and 14) from the Coltrane box failed to download for me.
  • Act quick if you're interested in those box sets; a couple things I saw yesterday that I wanted are gone today (Stax Singles/Big Star)... I grabbed the last two I was really interested in (John Lennon/VU White Light/White Heat Deluxe). I'm amazed and happy at how much I got for $8.
  • edited December 2014
    Yes that was a sweet deal. Got the Stax Singles box, Factory Records box, Nirvana box, the new Prince, John Lennon box, Johnny Cash box, and the KISS box (couldn't resist) for $14. Got a few more for free, including Quadrophenia Super Deluxe and Tusk. It was totally worth the 30 minutes it took me to figure out how to do anything on my wife's Windows 8 laptop.
  • Check out the whole Moochin' catalog....many good deals: Moochin' Abouts Stateside Hitlist 1962, 760 minutes of hits from 1962. 1961 is also a 800+ minute collection, the earlier years are less than 100.
  • edited December 2014
    - This is the downside of track pricing:
    Moochin' : 143,o8 €

- It seems to be packed with classic hits from all the way back to my childhood
  • edited December 2014
    For those harvesting the microsoft/Xbox music sale, there are now 50 free albums, but they are different ones from the first hundred. They are saying 13 days left. Loads of rap. some Bobby Womack, Future Sound of London, Stevie Wonder, various electronica, Bieber/Cyrus, etc.
  • Thanks Prof! I meant to check the app today but it slipped my mind. I even got a couple out of their latest group of "Must Have Rock Albums" sale tab for $1.99 (The Velvet Underground "The Velvet Underground & Nico 45th Anniversary Edition", The Who - "Who's Next (Deluxe Edition)", The Allman Brothers Band "The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings").
  • ^^^ what he said; great deals on the Velvets and Allmans - each are 6 disc sets.
  • edited December 2014
    Again for those harvesting from microsoft, there is now another 100 free albums. mostly overlap with past sets but maybe a handful of new titles too (?), unless I am just forgetting what they had before. Also a sale on 2014 titles. They are also trying to get you to give them money for Christmas albums.
  • You know, as one who has made out like a bandit on pretty much every one of the various and sundry sales, motherlodes and mispriced box sets over the years, but can't get in on this one because no Win8 device, I would just like to say: Swindleee
  • Standouts in the new $1.99 are Beck and St. Vincent; both of which are showing up a lot at year end reviews.
  • And it is only in the USA too, no access over here!
  • Sorry. :( emusers needs a "whisper to US" function. ;)
  • edited December 2014
    If it's any comfort: 100 free albums and none that I want. (though I did get some from the first round)