Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• me:
    Doofy, here's the album/year list for that Elvin set, if you haven't gotten to retagging yet.
    Doofy, I caught you out: 163 plays of "The Capitol Vaults Jazz Series" - you didn't retag at all! That's just terrible signalling, dude.
  • edited November 2013
    Doofy's too busy bethinking to basic in the hex key bend reupholstering his Balans chair. Then he can repurpose the hex key bend in the Elvin set.
  • edited November 2013
    Karg, there are wheels within wheels, as I have kept the CVJ titles *but* retagged with the original album art and years. Then, I have made a playlist consisting of several of these sets, which I have retitled using the artist's name - but of course lastfm doesn't seem the album re-names. To which I would add, my playlist includes the Andrew Hill set, almost all of which was never released...thus "Capitol Vaults Jazz" (or the Mosaic title) is the only correct album title.

Of course, my playlist is ordered by year, and thus will play these great artists chronologically for several days! So you see, my jazz obsessiveness is firmly established, just with my own weird quirks. The Andrew Hill is interesting stuff - Not surprising that Blue Note didn't release it, but it is very listenable and of course very exploratory and smart. I am quite delighted with all of these sets...all courtesy of the recent eMu booster sale!

eta, I now see that last.fm does pick up the renamed titles...That's a lot of Elvin, isn't it! But you can see Andrew Hill (and Bob Brookmeyer and Hank Mobley) down the list. The album view is a better indicator of my listening, rather than artists or tracks--I like to pick a jazz playlist in the morning and let it run all day. As you can see in the yearly view, I loves me some big old box sets.
  • edited November 2013
    Jazzloft.com is currently offering a box of 50 unplayed jazz promo CDs for $50.
    The link in the email pasts weird on the ipad - see if this works
    With all the stuff I have grabbed lately I am resisting, but only just. Somebody beat me to it so it's sold out.
  • ...Each one guaranteed to have the words 'NOT FOR RESALE' featured prominently on the front.
  • edited November 2013
    With unreleased sessions, I often rename something like 'yyyy-mm-dd <grouping> sessions' or some variant (the Andrew Hill Mosaic set has stuff like that). For unreleased tracks from earlier album releases, I use '<album name> sessions'. I have no particular interest in retaining a box-set title.
  • @Germanprof

Are you sure that Jazzloft 50-CD deal is sold out? I was curious about it, not sure where it says that it's no longer available.
  • No it is not sold out - ah, I see the ambiguity of my sentence now. I meant "somebody please beat me to it so that it becomes sold out and I am not tempted."
  • I suspect that grab-bag would also include, as one used record store in town says on the store window, "Way too many obscure jazz vocalists"

storefrontsm.jpg
  • How much Sham 69 can you handle? If the answer is 'All of it,' 7 bucks at 7digital.

0002931078_350.jpg
  • edited November 2013
    @Doofy - you may be on to a Sanctuary situation there at 7digital, which I'm looking into - so far The Bruce Dickinson 3 disc Alive release is $9.99 there but $18.99 at Amazon. Don't know how much strength I have for this but anyone whose got a band they like on Sanctuary might want to check out any big sets.
    Deluxe edition No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith by Motorhead a bit cheaper at @$9.99 than $15.99. On eMu it is one of many Sanctuary deluxe editions that are missing the second disc - I brought this to their attention regarding some Kinks releases but nothing was rectified about getting the second discs - I see they removed one title, and just dropped the price of others, didn't make them right.
    Bingo - Pentangling, 3 disc set, 1 Pentangle, 1 Bert Jansch, 1 John Renbourn, $10.99, thirty something Amazon.
    0002931100_350.jpg
  • I got an email today from JazzLoft, my 50-pack has shipped. I'll post a pic when it arrives.
  • edited November 2013
    Have to say this looks weird and suspect. But it claims to be an hour of Yo Yo Ma for $0.89. Here's another one. And a third. If anyone is brave, let us know what's actually in them. Here's another. Hmm. Surely no way these can be legally licensed? They all have the same art, no info, and different alleged record labels. Maybe this goes under "scams" rather than "mispriced".
  • @GP - I downloaded the Cello Suites - it is two different downloads to get all six, and Part 1 has one out of order glitch - see reviews - but they sound good, and as I have a fondness for these pieces I'd say it is worth the $1.78. If this one, 100 Solo Bach - is ever on sale, not that $6.99 is so bad, but it has all six suites by Torleif Theeden, as well as very nice lute pieces by Jakob Lindberg amongst other things.
  • UKJYYLA.jpg

Here is my haul from JazzLoft. I have not begun to sort through them for listening...a few gems and a few that made me wonder if I made a mistake.
  • I see some good stuff ... some good names playing some not-quite-top-shelf jazz. I should think you won't be disappointed.
  • I think if you understand some will be hits, and some will be misses, and that you should just quickly ignore/forget the latter, you should be cool.
  • edited November 2013
    Several new mega-collections from Brilliant Classics at a cheap price:

Claudio Astronio — Cabezón: Obras de Música Early Modern keyboard sonatas, played on organ and harpsichord. 7 hours

Barrios: Complete Music for Guitar by CRISTIANO PORQUEDD Solo guitar compositions of Paraguayan composer. 6 hours

Schütz: Sacred Music by DRESDNER KREUZCHOR Early Modern Sacred Choral music. 5 hours.
  • edited November 2013
    Well, in the process of gradually retagging some of my big classical boxes, I just got to the Chopin Rise of the Masters set.
    51IUkfpY4xL._AA160_.jpg
    Tracks 61 through 71 are tagged as Waltzes played by Dubravka Tomsic. While searching for the appropriate album art (to replace the nitwit on the 100 classics cover) I discovered that the consensus among Amazon reviewers of the album from which these tracks are apparently drawn is that they are not by that artist. The most telling review reads:
    In a recent conversation with Miss Tomsic, she stated that she has never recorded Chopin's 14 waltzes. The German company which produced this CD is using her great name erroneously. Whoever the artist is, he or she is competent at best, but definitely not Dubravka Tomsic. On a another matter, Miss Tomsic has recorded Chopin's First Concerto and it is available. But, record companies are selling two versions. One is her and the other is not. Both are labeled "Dubravka Tomsic." Feel free to contact me at the Monterey Symphony for additional information. Joseph Truskot, executive director, Monterey Symphony.
    Another writes:
    The pianist heard here - little more than competent - is probably Sylvia Capova. Point Classics, a budget label with a generally mediocre catalogue of third-rate performances, has pulled this stunt before.
    My biggest fear with using these ten-hours-for-a-dollar sets to educate myself about a basic range of classical music is that I will conclude I don't like a piece based on a bad performance of it and in the end miss out.
  • Now available at Emu, and incorrectly priced (?) for now -

600x600.jpg

It's 4 discs but selling for $6.99. It's anew release of all of the Lee Hazlewood Industries label. From the AMG review:
    Lee Hazlewood fans have seen a bounty of reissues and compilations issued over the past decade with anthologies of his MGM and Reprise singles, and albums appearing with some regularity. Light in the Attic has always gone deeper. It has released comps and catalog items from his LHI label, his work with Duane Eddy, and more. But they've outdone themselves with There's a Dream I've Been Saving: 1966-1971, a box set seven years in the making documenting the complete history of LHI (Lee Hazlewood Industries). Two of its four audio discs provide Hazlewood's complete recordings for the label, many equal to those he cut earlier in his career. The other two offer highlights from his artist roster: there are tracks by the International Submarine Band (w/ Gram Parsons), Suzi Jane Hokom (while a recording artist, she was also was one of the first notable female record producers; the Beatles wanted to work with her but Hazlewood nixed it), Kitchen Cinq, Honey Ltd., Ann-Margret, Virgil Warner, the Aggregation, Hamilton Streetcar, Lynn Castle, and more. Fans may be familiar with most of his recordings, but there is much that will be new to many. One thing his artists had in common was, no matter how different from one another stylistically, all benefitted from top-flight production -- from Hazlewood, Hokom, or staff producers -- assistance from in-demand arrangers like Jack Nietszche, and session players who included Earl Palmer, Carol Kaye, and other members of the Wrecking Crew. Ninety-five percent of this material was painstakingly remastered from original analog masters, the rest from pristine vinyl sources.

I've just downloaded it.
  • edited November 2013
    In the Guvera-ton category:

600x600.jpg

10 hours of piano compositions by virtually every major minimalist. $5.24.

PS: Are Guvera-tons metric or English/American measures.
  • Czech String Quartets, 903 minutes, 15 hours for $5.24. Many more from Brilliant Classics in the Guvera-Ton category
  • edited November 2013
    Here's a snapshot of my Jazz Loft 'box' set. I counted 54 with one of those being a double CD. It looks like there is at least a couple overlaps with what Plong42 got. Anyway, I'm pleased enough:

Kfjr9ahl.jpg

Use this link for a larger, more detailed picture (should you care): http://i.imgur.com/Kfjr9ah.jpg
  • @Luddite - You got Noah Howard, I had two of those. I guess that was not a big seller for Jazz Loft! I recognize the Ganz Andere (with the string) and Henry Johnson, but not really that many overlaps.
  • Heh, I have that Ielasi/Robair/etc cd at bottom center.
  • edited December 2013
    Here's a snap of my Jazz Loft Set:

pbjloft50.jpg?w=900&h=600

While it's mostly jazz, there are 5 to 6 blues sets and at least 4 Rock CD's. I' on CD 18 - there have been 2 duds - both rock. Quite a number of CD's from Denmark, and 5 with Jeff Kaiser. Good thing I like the experimental jazz he plays - I've heard two of his: The Alchemical Mass and Asphalt Buddhas.
  • @bremble - it looks like you got "K U R S K_ truth in the end" (2nd from the bottom, 2nd column from the left). This was in my box and it's actually a DVD-ROM. It wouldn't play in my DVD player and I had to play it on my PC. Its a 'movie' to go along with the music (or vice versa). I didn't spend much time with it once I got it running on my PC because I was actually wanting to play some real music through the stereo while I went through paperwork and didn't want to be bound to the PC... that and it's really not my cuppatea (the 2-3 minutes of stuff I did listen to).
  • 600x600.jpg

At eMu, The Sixteen - Allegri: Miserere; Tallis: Lamentations of Jeremiah & other Renaissance Masterpieces, about 78 minutes of excellent music. Looks like they are not charging for the Album Only tracks.
  • Been sniffing along the Rockbeat Records trail at 7digital (previous deals were Surf Age Nuggets and Los Nuggetz) and found this - Soul & Swagger - The Complete 5 Royales box, 5 discs, $9.99. See Amazon for discussion.
    0003328249_350.jpg