Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• 41QHW1FNFNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

An album I've enjoyed for years...........
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks, Mr.V - eMu has that, as well as this Stardust release Boss Tenors that seems to incorporate that release as well as other tracks. The Boss Tenors seemed familiar, because as it turns out I had this release, Boss Tenors In Orbit which is credited only to Gene Ammons although both guys are on the cover - still only $2.45 at eMu but it is Frankenhofered. Might be a good Guvera lookup for anyone who doesn't have it.
  • edited November 2012
    I've remained on the fence so far about the above mentioned Stan Getz People Time - The Complete Recordings, but this one got my attention - Stan Getz - Eight Classic Albums - these series are usually to be found on CD so this is an interesting development, and all the sets I've purchased I was happy with BTW. It's $9.99 at 7digital, it's $25.49 at Amazon where this page has four other sets referenced below it - a new trend?
    I have one of the eight Getz in the set ( &The Oscar Peterson Trio) but this could be good.
    0001963607_350.jpg
  • Those Tompkins Sqare albums disapperaed. You snooze, you lose.
  • edited November 2012
    Ran a Search for Eight Classic Albums and got more than I expected - interesting. Check out the Sarah Vaughan. Edit - N.B. The CD versions do not have any useful liner notes, so there's no loss there going MP3.

@BT - bummer, I hadn't gotten to downloading those Tompkins Square, and regrettably, I have lost - no Charlie Sheen moment here.

Also, I see 7digital has the 100 Famous John Coltrane Essentials For Jazz Lovers mentioned above at eMu, also for $5.99, so our non-US members might enjoy that news. I sprang for the eMu version and found it good - you might get better bitrates at 7dig even.
  • edited November 2012
    Those Tompkins Sqare albums disappered
    - A strange thing happened with Tompkins Square in Europe, all albums apparently disapeared at some point and resurfaced on Nov 20, 2012 (61 albums)

ETA: Oh ! it was a 7digital thing . . .
  • edited November 2012
    If I am not mistaken I have been hunting this one from Amazon for some time, and this is the first time I've found it at 7digital - Haydn, F.J.:Symphonies/Concertos/String Quartets - suffice to say 12 discs, 12 hours, $9.99. It's like $65 at Amazon (oddly, you can get the CD version for $30).
    0001636988_350.jpg
  • @BN - Tompkins Square must have changed distributors. Still available here in UK but all lsited as released last week.

@BDB - thanks, £5.49 here. I think I have most of those tracks, but I will check. But some other artists in the same series, so I'll look at those too.
  • edited December 2012
    Found this Stan Getz collection at eMu but it is also $5.99 at Amazon - 50 Stan Getz Greatest Hits. I seem to be on a Stan Getz roll lately, and this doesn't seem to overlap my previous acquisitions - have it playing as it continues to download and sounds good (some less than stellar bitrates in the group, some good), a bit more mellow than some material but good.

514LczTlTRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • edited December 2012
    Billie Holiday ALERT - just found this 10 disc set at eMu - Complete Columbia Golden Years Recordings - 233 tracks, 686 minutes. Seems to be a bonus version (euro ripoff style) of all the albums on this Amazon page plus .

Well, well, those $17.98 2 disc sets at Amazon are from the same company, Definitive, so the 10 disc at eMu for $5.84 looks to be a big Oops.
  • Anybody know anything about the Arnvid Meyer Orchestra? This 5 disc release Right Out Of Kansas City is $8.99 at 7digital, $41.99 at Amazon. Samples sound good, but info is lacking.
    51OYqTCtlfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • BigD . . .

Arnvid Mayer was a Danish jazz ikon (he died in 2007). I did not know he was known outside of Denmark.
    He was known for playing traditional / swing jazz.
    - It's not for me to say if he is any good, but he definitely belongs to the premium league in Danish jazz.
  • Thanks, BN - precious little info around on the man. Definitely a more swing era vibe, but it's going on the SFL.

Speaking of Definitive, the label that is, there have been a number of new releases at eMu lately from them, and this Charlie Parker caught my eye, The Complete Norman Granz Master Takes, 316 minutes, $5.84. Positive reviews on the Amazon page for the CD version. It includes at the end the Parker cuts from the Complete Jam Sessions release from the Guvera thread, which I liked a lot - have to live with the dupes but at least they were free.
  • I don't know boo about Bill Nelson but I just read an article in some recent guitar rag where he was interviewing Duane Eddy, who was one of his idols, and I was very intrigued. I looked him up on 7digital on a whim and find The Practice of Everyday Life (Digital Anthology) for $9.99 for the 3 disc set. It is $25.49 at Amazon, where there is some info, and this is a 3 disc distillation of an 8 CD box set that is available.
  • 0001291456_350.jpg

7 discs, 9.99 at 7dig. Just happened to be looking at Kenny Barron stuff.
    Just a few months before his death, Getz (1927-1991) decided to make a live album with the pianist Kenny Barron. Getz and Mr. Barron—who had just spent five years performing with the bassist Rufus Reid and the drummer Victor Lewis in what was quite possibly the best quartet of Getz's career—formed a sort of band within a band, working four nights in front of a live audience (and a recording crew) at the Café Montmartre in Copenhagen. Shortly after Getz's death, 14 of these tracks were issued on a two-CD album titled "People Time." Now, Universal Music France is issuing the complete recordings—48 performances on seven discs that amount to as moving a last will and testament as I have ever heard by a major musician.

etc...One of many opinions to be found out there.
  • Well, since the Search function appears to be belly up at eMu for the moment I'm revisiting my SFL's - BT posted a list last February that included this Ahmad Jamal title The Legendary 1958 Pershing Lounge & Spotlight Club Performances. Looking at Amazon this release encompasses both the following CDs -
    517tzuA5yeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg and
    513XuzlAJXL._SX300_.jpg
    making it a pretty good deal at $5.84 for 58 tracks. It is live with some club noise in the background but I'm liking it so far.
  • It now says $8.99, but if the quality is good that's still a decent price.
  • That $8.99 is the eMusic a la carte price - once you log in it will revert to the member price.
  • edited February 2013
    fwiw, those are bootlegs...I've got that (wonderful) material on this Verve re-issue, which is also at Guvera.

41EZRX331VL.jpg

eta, 32 tracks, so the "Gambit" sets must have some additional stuff.
  • Oopsies, this one must have fell through the cracks over at eMu - Tito Puente - The Complete 78s Volumes 3 & 4 - it's only $5.99 for 4 discs, 76 tracks. I was trying to figure out how I had Volumes 1 & 2, which I must have picked up back when they were single album downloads, because eMu has those at $13.10 each for any of the 4 Volumes, and they are selling the combined 1&2 for $20. If you want that one it's $9.99 at 7digital here.
    600x600.jpg
  • I noticed that the Capitol Vaults Jazz series is available at eMu for quite reasonable prices, significantly less than Amazon, and even less than that if you throw in subscription discounts. These are on Guvera, but can chew up a lot of credits - this seems a pretty cheap way to get lots of great classic jazz. These are mostly re-releases of post-license-expiration Mosaic sets of various kinds. They're also available on the various streaming services, great listening options there too.
  • Speaking of the Capitol Jazz Vault series, I have yet to find any breakdown of the original source albums contained in this Joe Pass volume below. I would really like to not have to do a song by song (album by album) search and compare against my MP3 and CD collection, since I don't consider it likely that I'll spring for the set just yet - if it comes up on G. it would be handy to just get what I don't have already. Any info would be most appreciated.
    600x600.jpg
  • BDB, assume anything from that series is lifted from a Mosaic release.
  • edited February 2013
    Big D, at your service! http://www.mosaicrecords.com/discography.asp?number=207-md-cd

The trick on these is to search for info on the Mosaic sets, not "Capitol Vaults." I hadn't noticed this one, will have to check it out. I want the Paul Chambers set...it's on Guv but streaming only.
  • edited February 2013
    Thank you kindly, doofy - I think there is a lot of this I don't have now that I can see album titles. The set dropped at eMu yesterday for $30. If it comes to G. it might have to become a long term project.
    There have been grumblings about the quality of some of these Capitol re-releases, I don't recall which or where so I don't want to jump the gun on this. Too quickly.

Edit - "streaming only"? Is that a new thing, or does it mean it's one giant Album Only perhaps?
  • Fixed, BDB:
    Thank you kindly, doofy (and kargatronwhobeatdoofybyfourminutes)
    :)
  • Oops, my bad, kargatron. Must have been that big album cover hovering over your name.
    So, Thank you kindly, doofy (and kargatronwhobeatdoofybyfourminutes).
  • Here's an odd two-fer from the Joe Pass section of Amazon CD's - Stones' Jazz? Who even contemplated such a thing, Horatio?
    51XHc6H30NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited February 2013
    A recent addition over at eMu - The Fletcher Henderson Story - 3 disc set, 74 tracks, 221 minutes, $5.84. Looks to be the same set, plus a few bonus tracks, as I picked up as The Fletcher Henderson Story back in 2009 at eMu after they went album pricing, which was a nice bunch of music. I don't think the man gets quite his due, and he had a hell of a nose for talent.
    600x600.jpg
    Also a $5.84 3 disc Ella Fitzgerald set, looks like a re-do of one of the Verve songbook series, Sings The George & Ira Gershwin Songbook.
    600x600.jpg
  • Also posted in wayltrn:

Speaking of Beirach and Liebman and Lookout Farm, that got me looking, and boy, here's a great deal - a 4-disc comp of live Lookout Farm for $9.99 at 7digital.