Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• @Big-D: Now's your chance to get some [em]good[/em] Genesis for cheap (when Phil only played drums, and played more like a Jazz drummer.)

Selling England By the Pound
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
  • Thanks, BT - I'll have to consider those, but only after I pick up all the Destiny's Child and Depeche Mode albums also in the Going Through Changes Sales - we'll see if I have enough left from my booster pack (just kidding).
    Have been laying low between our loss of DSL for too damn many days at work, now back thankfully, and my enforced reorganization of the mancave at home because my local Mini-Storage was closing - I am conducting a pogram of VHS cassettes currently - what a waste of time and materials - who knew there'd be Netflix someday.
  • Only two discs, so not a huge discount, but I love it so I'll post anyway - Les Rallizes Denudes - Cable Hogue Soundtrack is 109 minutes of squall, reverb and feedback for $5.99. Come to think of it I can't really imagine anybody here being much into this so
  • I'll fess up, I don't even know how many New Orleans comps I have, so I probably have most of the songs on here but it's still looking good - Louisiana and the Old New Orleans Sound - 100 tracks, 4+ hours, Vintage Masters - probably modest bitrates but so it is with many oldie collections - $5.84. A lot of cool songs and great artists. Et toi!
  • Der Ring Redux - this release has been here before Der Ring Des Nibelungen - Complete - the Hans Swarowsky version that has been at 7 digital for $6.99 - the linked version is for $4.99 somehow - there are three listings for this puppy but I daresay $4.99 is about the cheapest price for the entire Ring you'll find this side of piracy.
  • The recent 4-disc "Ten Freedom Summers" by Wadada Leo Smith - $9.99 at 7digital
    All those descriptions of “monumental” make sense. Wadada Leo Smith’s Ten Freedom Summers is first of all BIG: a four-disc 19-track monument to the Civil Rights movement, performed by the 70-year-old Smith on trumpet along with the nine-member Southwest Chamber Music ensemble and the latest incarnation of Smith’s Golden Quartet (or Quintet, if two people are drumming). Whenever he can corral them all to perform the thing live, the concert lasts three nights and covers audiences with heaps of music: free improv, modal jazz grooves, and classical composition including (why not?) a string quartet movement.

Etc...from long review at Popmatters
  • Doofy, nice find! Thx
  • Same price on the new 5-disc Pepper Adams tribute set, though think I'll pass on that for now

0001897521_350.jpg
  • edited October 2012
    Just an update on the above mentioned Dave Brubeck The Complete '50's Concerts (feat. Paul Desmond) - it's at Amazon now for the same $5.99 price with better titles/tagging, so if you were still considering it (or hadn't gotten around to it), that might be a better source. A different and better way to clear it from the SFL in my case. Wonder if they've got more.

Bummer Update - Those Rolled Gold comps from the previous page are coming up Unavailable In Your Country now, and I'm not finding them at all on Amazon. Oh, well.
  • edited October 2012
    Holy Crapowski - somehow I hadn't paid attention to this comp that is still available at both sites - British 50's Hit Parade - but it really has nothing to do with the title except for a couple of Lonnie Donegen songs - it is 348 tracks of mostly American 50's and 60's R&R/pop songs and the samples I've listened to sound like the originals to me - a stylistic mishmash but a heck of a lot of music - $8.99 from that Amazon link. It's $5.99 at eMu but it will download as Various Artists as my below comment will illustrate - I should have known.
    ARRGH! Giant freaking you suck to eMu - I should have spent the extra $3 at Amazon - they are downloading as Various Artists - giant Re-Tag bitch!
    600x600.jpg
  • Now that the above music bomb has finished downloading - some collection, but oh I wish I had gone with Amazon, I noticed a link to this collection, thankfully Amazon - 101 Swing Essentials - 5 hours, $5.99, with the artists displayed. Good stuff by real artists if you need to fill in the swing era.
    51nf0On6kxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • edited November 2012
    Well, we haven't heard much from the land of 7digital lately, have we? New bookmark symbol, new and still lamentably pokey DLM, but more to the point - new 6 disc Gov't Mule set - The Georgia Bootleg Box for $9.99. It's $29.99 at Amazon which while not prohibitive did give me pause, thankfully, since I just checked 7dig on a whim. Sweet.

SOUR! Their DLM is still wonky as well - had to manually re-download about 20% of the tracks. Still glad to have it. BTW, this is three successive nights recorded in 1996, so there is a lot of repetition, but it is the original Mule.
  • @GP

Regarding Real Gone Jazz label, the guys at Audio Asylum have an opinion on that product...

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=music&m=191526

Cheers.
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks BigD for the tip on the Gov't Mule set. I hadn't heard about that one, but I jumped on the 7Digital price and it's downloading now. No problems yet, and what I've heard so far is awesome.
  • edited November 2012
    Naxos alert - are you ready for 100 tracks, 611 minutes of Virtual Box Set - Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas, for $5.99? That much and I might be ready to sign anything by the end, but maybe you like.
    Also from Naxos - wait, wait, it's 12 Hours Of Christmas, literally 12 hours. $5.99, or $0.50/hour if you prefer. I'm a little skeptical of some pieces Xmas cred but who's going to quibble when you've got 220 tracks.
    On a funkier note we've got Blues, Blues Christmas Volume 2 from Document Records, $5.84 for 44 tracks. I haven't listened yet but I consider the Volume 1 of the series I got a few years ago one of my better Xmas music purchases, especially when you need a cleansing from too much mall music.
  • Not a huge deal, but conceptually funny:
    600x600.jpg
  • Great, BT. I have to share that.
  • edited November 2012
    Never mind, US, but other country members might be interested - this The Complete Stanley Dance Mainstream Jazz Recordings 1958-1959 is at 7digital for $9.99, 9 discs, 6 hours. It seems to be the same material as was on The Complete Felsted Mainstream Recordings at eMu, where the 57 tracks might have been prohibitive for non-US members. It is good stuff.
    600x600.jpg
  • Thanks BDB, I'll check it out. Yes it would have been about £24 at emu!
  • Stan Getz, anyone? 7 discs, almost 7 hours, People Time - The Complete Recordings is $9.99 at 7digital - it's $57 at Amazon. Might not be essential Getz, but I'm going to check it out when I have time.
  • edited November 2012
    Hey, somebody do me a favor and see if you can DL a free track at 7digital US. Need to find out if it's just me, or if it's them. Think I found another good box set deal...
  • Hey, Doofy - somebody here. Here's what they said:
    Sorry, we caused an error

Unfortunately a technical error has occurred at our end and we're currently unable to display this page properly. However, our engineers have been automatically notified and we're going to fix it as soon as possible.
  • Yep, thanks...keeping an eye on something over there, once they get it together
  • Hey Doofy - I just tried to DL a free track at 7digital and I get the same error that bremble got.
  • They are back up, and offering this recent 3-disc Tompkins Square gospel set for 5, yes 5 bucks.

0001892065_350.jpg
  • No link (I'm running to get the boy), but People Take Warning is $7.
  • edited November 2012
    Re[posted from another user on the emusic board: 100 Famous John Coltrane Essentials for Jazz Lovers (My Christmas Gift for You Deluxe Edition) $5.99.
    ETA, can't find anything online about the label, and the only other places the album seems to appear are French download sites.
  • edited November 2012
    Oops wrong thread
  • edited November 2012
    @Doofy, thanks for that, and @BT - I've had that People Take Warning on my SFL for ages - at $6.99 it's a sale.

@GP - I had seen that Coltrane while browsing New Additions - just pulled the trigger on it because I found myself in the completely new situation of having about $4 to use from a Booster Pack before it expires - never, ever got anywhere close to that in all these years at eMu, hmm - and the Coltrane seemed a quick solution. I have Heavyweight Champion, a classic of the mispriced box sets, but at this price some more looks good - some less than stunning bitrates but a surprising number over 200, sounds OK so far. Edit - after completing download on that Coltrane, I checked my Jazz Smart Playlist for duplicates and only 30 of the 100 came up so I'm pretty content with that.

I don't know a lot about Sonny Stitt, other than a clearance CD I got at Tower years ago and liked, so this 60 track Essential Jazz Masters is going on the SFL for investigation.
    EDIT- Bam! All four of the tracks on this Sonny Stitt Verve album (that was on my SFL) are included in the above Essential Jazz Masters:
    600x600.jpg