Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• edited June 2012
    600x600.jpg

$27.40 is a great price for 15 hours of Renaissance English lute, but so much Dowland might send me over the edge.
  • edited June 2012
    $27.40 is a great price for 15 hours of Renaissance English lute
    Ah, sentences like that are part of what I love about this board.
  • Ah, sentences like that are part of what I love about this board.
    This group would sit through the entire Vexations.
  • Musicke Is Good
  • edited June 2012
    Ah, the L'oiseau Lyre label - have a number of CDs from them from the olde days, C. Hogwood et al. and whatnot.
    Wonder if any of these CDs at Amazon are worth following up on (hint, hint, nudge, nudge - I'll try looking when I can). Or maybe the MP3 results.

This is the one I lust for - barring a sudden windfall, inheritance, or supremely lucky find in a used CD store it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.
  • edited June 2012
    Ah, the L'oiseau Lyre label - have a number of CDs from them from the olde days, C. Hogwood et al. and whatnot.
    I associate L'oiseau lyre and Hogwood with the notion of original performance and instrumentation that was really emerging at the time. I've read that there is a small revolt against this notion, because it requires too many musicians to specialize.

ETA: My favorite L'oiseau lyre.
  • edited June 2012
    This is the one I lust for - barring a sudden windfall, inheritance, or supremely lucky find in a used CD store it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.
    Have part of that, as LP box sets. While I have occasionally looked to complete it, many of the individual CD boxes have a ridiculous price.

But, have just spotted the 7Digital(UK) have that at a far more reasonable price £35.99 - Mozart: The Symphonies.

Just a shame that their recordings of the Haydn Symphonies are not as attractively priced.
  • @PaulR - thank you. I have searched the US 7digital site six ways from Sunday trying to find this title to no avail - it doesn't help that when they updated their site the search function seems to have become painfully literal (=stupid) in its interpretations. At current exchange rate this would amount to about $56, still half of what the Amazon price is, so I may just try purchasing from the UK site.

Have we covered this ? Music of the 18th Century - The Age Of Enlightenment, on Harmonia Mundi, $5.84, 29 tracks, 205 minutes. Might be good.
  • Best wishes in trying to buy from the UK site BDB. I have never been able to order from any of the major US download sites - including Amazon and 7 digital. When I get to credit card it just rejects it as a non-US card. I can, however, buy books from Amazon US! I do agree with you about the 7 digital search function - it is worse than emusic by a long way. Both seem to think that you either know what you want to buy or you want to look at chart material. They both must be missing a lot of sales!
  • You could always have the boxed set from Amazon (US) - new for $81.67, or used for $59.99. Far better than their price for the download version.

The search function seems to be the hardest thing to get right - and many of these sites seem to get it so wrong - I sometimes think they go out of their way to make it difficult.
  • They should just go ask Amazon what they do - I don't know what you call that when the search box starts suggesting as you fill in, but it's the dog's bollocks. Then they've got the Advanced Search function - BT tipped me to using that, and many a bargain has been found with its results.
  • edited June 2012
    Hello, again, out there in box set land. Remember the Fantastic Voyage label when eMu had a brief flurry of titles before many got yanked, namely in the Let Me Tell You About The Blues: (insert city/state name of choice) series, and the (insert adjective) Sugar:Pure Essence of (R&B or R&R) series? I've been acquiring some of the CD sets (MP3 not to be found) from Amazon, mostly through that Other Seller - MovieMars-CDs, at fairly good prices - I will expand upon these over the weekend from my home rig. Anyhow in researching some product I found this site that might be useful as a reference - Future Noise Music (their purchase option seems to run via PayPal, so I don't have a grip on their pricing yet - Ah, I'm finding prices in Pounds. They are listed as Imports on Amazon after all.). Here's the Fantastic Voyage page. I am pretty stoked about the sets I got this week, compilations of course, because as some of the other releases, you get a lot of the usual suspects but not the usual songs. More to follow.

EDIT - since ferreting out that this is a British op, this might be a chance for our British members to score some high track#/reasonable price R&B/R&R compilations. This includes the stellar Routes of Rockabilly which is one of my favorite acquisitions of the last couple of years.
  • I'll certainly check it out BDB, thanks
  • edited August 2012
    These Platinum Masters releases from the Rolled Gold label dropped yesterday. I can't sample here at work but there's a lot of tracks on some of these for $5.99 - 97 on the B.B., 166 on the Sinatra, and 219 on the Dino. That Miles might be very cool. Roy Orbison is a beat at only 33. Will investigate further later. Crooner's Summer has 150 Rat Pack tracks.
  • edited August 2012
    You missed this 251 track monster of Folk music.

ETA: Holy F---! Those are all Smithsonian Folkways albums, every track is nearly a classic: Elizabeth Cotten, Doc Watson, Jean Ritchie, David Van Ronk, New Lost City Ramblers, Woody, Joan Baez, Bascom Lunsford, Brownie McGhee, among others.
  • edited August 2012
    Well, I wouldn't say missed, I hadn't gotten to it yet. All these comps are on Amazon if you want to actually know who's performing what. I was just examining the Surf one which is a mixed bag what with Annette and Jan & Dean and others that are NOT SURF MUSIC - not that I feel strongly about this - but it also has some true surf classics that are not easy to find - Pintor by The Pharos for instance, Mr. Moto by The Belairs - so there's some heavy wheat in the chaff.

OK, BT, I might go folkie for that collection. Even the Doo Wop might be OK.
  • edited August 2012
    So, as a person who is not expert in the back catalog, already has Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way (oh and also that recent Miles Davis quintet live one with the red cover), and has nurtured the thought that I'll probably pick up a couple more Miles Davis albums at some point to continue exploring, can anyone give me a sense of what I would be getting/missing in that Platinum Collection? Does it represent particular albums or eras? Is it a sensible next step or a way of gumming up the works with random detritus? Is the feeling that I have got from the two albums I have that Davis does very cohesive albums and I might not want random collections of "greatest hits" out of context at all justified?
  • edited August 2012
    Prof, I would endorse the "cohesive" bit.

Not a Miles expert by any means, but FWIW IMO BBQ, Bitches Brew would be standard issue; Jack Johnson is a personal favorite; there is also a one-disc "Highlights" of the live Plugged Nickel set.
  • I tried to get that folk comp, but succeeded only in sucking $6 from my account. It didn't even put the tracks into the DL mangler. Sad.
  • edited August 2012
    @BT - I have the same problem, and am working through the CS process now....! The emx file is corrupt

/edit: as of 10:16 EDT the emx file has been repaired, and I am downloading it now.
  • Doofy, yeah, I have that first one on my mental list - didn't know the others, thanks.
  • edited August 2012
    @Plong: Is this the same comp, or another Rolled Gold comp? You were able to DL successfully? I received the following message from Noah:
    I think the fact that this album has 251 tracks is overwhelming the download manager. I gave your $5.99 back. I know this really isn't the ideal solution, but asking you to download them individually doesn't work cause you'll spend way more than $5.99. I've asked our content group to see what we can do. I hope we can split this album into multi-disk downloads. I'll see what they say and I can follow up with you. Just allow a couple days to see what our options are.
    I'm surprised that the comment came back so quickly, about 13 hours after I logged the complaint. The album page still says "Retry", so it won't cost me anything to give it another go.

ETA: It seems to be downloading properly.
  • edited August 2012
    @BT - I have good news, and I have bad news. I just spun the wheel on this and it took a few minutes to load the Download Mangler - old version 4.1.2 here on the vintage laptop - but it is working. Bad news, and it's bad - it is freaking downloading as Various Artists on every track, so this means re-tagging 251 tracks by hand using the roster on the Amazon page for this release. I can't help wondering what would have happened if I'd sprung for the Amazon download - it's $8.99 there, and I would have gladly paid more not to have to re-tag. Ugh, shades of the 9 volume Stax-Volt Singles - that had the benefit of being a massive savings though.

Edit - Played a few songs, and have to say, I'm feeling a whole lot better. This is one heck of a collection.
  • I thought the rockabilly or doo wop collections might be interesting, but emu didn't have any artists' names. That even makes me uncertain it would be the original artists.
  • Here's the Rockabilly comp, if you want to see the artists. From what I see of the folk comp, these are the original artists. However, I've only retagged 70 tracks so far.
  • It looks good--thanks.
  • I think that it is almost worth it to buy from Amazon for a few dollars more, since the Folk collection is untagged. Tan&Rename removed their support for Amazon tags, and it is not in the FreeDB. I am going to upload it to Amazon cloud anyway, hopefully that will auto-tag it properly.
  • @denver - I'm eyeballing that Doo Wop myself - here's the Amazon page - the artists look right, I just haven't been able to listen to enough to render an opinion on original recordings yet. And if I get it I might go with Amazon to avoid the re-tag. The Rockabilly comp looks to tend toward more obscure artists - not necessarily a bad thing at all in rockabilly - but I have to compare this against stuff already in my library before deciding, which might take a few.
  • I've retagged nearly all the tracks. If it would help, I could at least list what artists go with what tracks.

Baez: 2, 23, 29, 90, 103, 131, 182, 201, 214, 226, 228, 238, 241, 244, 249 (s/t plus bonus tracks)