Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• The Armstrong Box -- 8 1/2 hours of live performances by Satchmo from the 1950s -- released by Storyville -- only $5.84
  • edited February 2012
    Ba-Boom, BT - that's the bomb. Thanks. Storyville gave us The Duke Box and those Art Tatum titles from the 7digital thread too.
    Edit - Ixnay on this one for me - Eddie Boyd - Live In Switzerland - I like Eddie Boyd but not a whole gig of just him solo.
  • edited February 2012
    Denver, I wish I could get better info of the personnel/under what band type on that Sonny Criss set, but after listening to some of the longer samples 7dig is nice enough to provide I liked enough to pull the trigger at eMu. The credits on it at Amazon I suppose reflect the bandleaders.
    Happy to say the credits print out slightly wider once downloaded, still not adequate but better.
  • Had never heard of Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. I guess I'll be hearing quite a bit of him now. Love that tenor/organ combo. Thanks for the link!
  • Poking around from BT's list I found this from one of my favorites, "Total Tracks: 136 Total Length: 568:50" for $45.60. Not amazingly cheap, but not bad.
    600x600.jpg
  • Doesn't sound like my thing, but 6 hours of the Boswell Sisters for $4.40 looks like a good deal if it's your thing.
  • edited February 2012
    I'd never heard of the Boswell Sisters, and I laughed when I saw their picture, but you know, they sounded pretty good. Here's the sample from emu of Everybody Loves My Baby. AMG: "Definitely the most talented and arguably the all-around best jazz vocal group of all time, the Boswell Sisters parlayed their New Orleans upbringing into a swinging delivery that featured not only impossibly close harmonies, but countless maneuvers of vocal gymnastics rarely equalled on record." They even worked with Bunny Berrigan! Two sites about them are http://www.bozzies.org/ and http://guymcafee.com/. The similarity to the Andrews Sisters was obvious, but to me they also sounded, except for three voices not two, very much like a jazz version of Kate & Anna McGarrigle. There's a decent selection of material by them on the Internet Archive.

edit: I guess links to eMusic samples don't work that way. You'll have to go get it yourselves if you want to hear it.
  • edited February 2012
    How about the Clash on Broadway for $6.99? 3 Cd's 3 1/2 hours of music - looks pretty good to me.
    http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/the-clash/clash-on-broadway/13131564/:
  • BTW eMu's got an older version of that Clash set at $19, so.......

Anyhow, what a beat! I've been ripped off! I paid $5.99 at 7digital for this 100 track 11 hour Denon classical sampler - 100 Most Essential Classical Favorites that eMu has for $3.89! Oh, the agony. Who'd a thunk?
    600x600.jpg
  • There are a few 2-disc albums from Yemay
  • edited February 2012
    Sonofabitch, that Cachao album is exactly the same as the one I paid $11.98 for on eMu - exactly the same label, just in UPPER CASE instead of Normal Case, and still listed - WTF. Great, great stuff - snap that puppy up! Now! It's a classic, and I'll have to investigate those other offerings to see if they're lower priced, here at Yemaya Records, not here at YEMAYA-MVD where the $11.84 version is the only album - Swiiiinnnddddllle!

I'm sorry - did I make it clear in all that raving that this would be a cornerstone of any collection of Cuban Music?
  • Here's some Fania that I don't think has been mentioned:

Maelo - A Man And His Music by Ismael Rivera $4.40
    http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/ismael-rivera/maelo-a-man-and-his-music/12868920/

A Band and Its Music by Sonora Ponce
  • Hey, does someone feel like writing a "cuban music for beginners" piece for mIg? Say, the first four or five albums to check out?
  • Yes, Sir. It is on my To Do List. I've amassed a fair collection that I'll have to review, but I think there are some comps that would be a good start for anyone, and Cachao is a must - this one above is a good sample of more vintage material from him. Try to get it done reasonably soon.
  • Great idea GP - it would interest me too!
  • Investigating the "Cachao Descargas," came across this informative blog post. Obit link is dead, but it can be found here.
  • Fyi (to those who care) better credits/personnel on the Cachao set can be found here. Not coincidentally, this site is also where I found complete personnel info for the "Newport in New York" set.
  • Hampton Hawes All Night Session vol. 1-3 for $5.84 -- these albums are late Bop classics, recorded when Hawes was regarded as one of the best Jazz pianists.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks for that find, BT - the fact that Jim Hall is on the record is a hook for me.
    Doofy, thanks for the link on the Cachao personnel. I can rest easier even having paid double for the release because I was not sure these were the treasured sessions they are when I got it, although they sounded great. That's a choice lineup of musicians, and that's really a Grail quality acquisition for Cuban music.

Also I was following up on whether I had the Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker release mentioned on the top of the previous page (yes) and see there are two others (eMu) - will puzzle over whether there's overlap but this one at $4.40 looks good too - The Original Sessions 1952-1953. There's also this Modern Jazz Quartet release on that label, $4.40 and album cover mentions Ben Webster as well, and BTW, has anyone ever heard the song on track 1 - All The hings You Are? That's a new one on me.
  • edited March 2012
    Liked BT's Hampton Hawes find, found this one - Hampton Hawes - Essential Jazz Masters, $4.40, 62 tracks, 347 minutes.

This collection intrigues me - V-Disc Jazz Essentials - was it some kind of WWII thing? Putting on the SFL for now - it is cheaper at $8.99 over at 7dig. Edit - Was a series of records especially distributed for the armed services personnel, some from Armed Forces Radio broadcasts. Here's the AMG page - some of the series had what are rare recordings in that they were during the war years.
  • @Big D: Do you know anything about The Masters of Blues label/series? The albums aren't exceptional deals, $5.99 for 95-110 minutes. However, some might contain whole compilations from other labels. This McTell/Hurt comp contains the entirety of this comp of early Hurt singles.
  • edited March 2012
    BT, I've not paid attention to these because they weren't extraordinary deals, and the V.A. comps didn't seem to be top shelf songs. Eyeballing a few they don't look like bad deals but it all depends what you already have - between the tapes, CDs, and all the big MP3 comps I've collected I didn't pursue them. The B.B. King/Bobby Blue Bland one for instance it's mostly early career B.B. - by the sharper tone if nothing else, and the songs, but then Why I Sing The Blues sounds mid-career live to me, and there's not a lot of Bobby Blue Bland but some is live which always gets me suspicious on blues comps. It doesn't move me but if it filled a hole in the collection it wouldn't be bad, especially with the old timers who had a more limited catalog.
  • Thanks, BigD. I started to suspect that it might not be worth it. I ended up finding some good copies of the same Hurt songs at archive.org with comparable quality. I also dl'd one of the Library of Congress discs.
  • edited March 2012
    A question. This thread is invaluable. Posting my Feb downloads I got to thinking as follows. One of the albums I found in Feb was Saito Koji - Mizuumi, which is $2.97 @ Amazon. I occasionally am finding these - albums that are not mispriced or box sets or 99-most-essentials - they are just very cheap and quite good. They are filling a specific gap that emusic has partially abandoned - albums I would not have sought out at regular price but was ready to take a chance on for very cheap. I think these are worth posting. Is this the best place? Should there be another thread for this? If folk think there should I'll move this, but for now:

Saito Koji - Mizuumi - $2.97 - Japanese electronic ambient with environmental recordings of water. Quite nice really.

Albums mentioned here in the past worth listening to that fall under this category would include:

Redshift - Ether - $3.56 (but you can get 50 minutes of the album for $1.78) - great analog synth sequence stuff. Really like this one.

Greg Haines - Until the Point of Hushed Support - $3.96 - lovely classical/ambient rec'd by Brighternow. (Slumber Tides is cheap too)
  • edited March 2012
    6-1/2 hours of the best Columbia work of Herbie Hancock for $16.30. http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/herbie-hancock/the-herbie-hancock-box/11477940

edit: On Amazon the download is $25 and the physical box is $118.63.
  • edited March 2012
    Hey, GP, get your drift but hey it does say Inside Tips first so it seems appropriate here. I just tend to put Amazon finds in the Amazon MP3 thread, 7dig in 7dig, and eMu in Freshly Dropped etc. but this thread is just as good I figure.

Edit - And here's an odd one posted on the eMu board - Jazz On Film Noir Vol.1-5, 5 disc set, $5.84, but what's the provenance? It's on Amazon for cheap as well, $8.99, for what info is there but it's too late to process this right now - cool or kitsch?
  • edited March 2012
    2 Hours with Thelonious Monk for $3.39

People who know about jazz - is this something I should be considering? It has no reviews.
  • It looks like that is a repackaging of the albums "Thelonious Monk with Sonny Rollins", "In Action, Live at the Five Spot" and "plays Duke Ellington". If the sound quality's good, then it's probably a good deal; I'm tempted.
  • Thanks for that GP and amclark. After following the link, I then looked at Amazon UK to see if it was there. I actually found a 40 track Thelonious Monk compilation. The first 21 tracks are exactly the same, but there are then another 19 tracks as well. All for £3.19 - must be under $5. Now playing it!