Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Yo, BT, amclark2, check this out - The Ultimate Kitaro Collection - Silk Road Journey, 156 tracks, $9.99 at 7digital. I'm not sure yet what exactly this encompasses in its 15 discs, the description at Amazon is a little sketchy, I'll try to figure it out after it's done downloading, but it is one mother of a mispriced box set.
    619MNGuubtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

OK, this seems to be these 15 albums (as on the Amazon CD page) though they are not in that order: (figuring out actual order)
    1. Ancient --- actual Disc 6.
    2. Best Of Silk Road ---actual Disc 12.
    3. Dream ---actual Disc 3.
    4. 442: Extreme Patriots Of WWII ---actual Disc 15.
    5. Gaia Onbashira ---Actual Disc 1.
    6. Impressions Of The West Lake --actual Disc 14.
    7. Kojiki --actual Disc 5.
    8. Peace on Earth ---actual Disc 13.
    9. Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai --actual Disc 7.
    10. Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai, Volume 2 --actual Disc 8.
    11. Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai, Volume 3 --actual Disc 9.
    12. Sacred Journey Of Ku-Kai, Volume 4 --actual Disc 10.
    13. Spiritual Garden --actual Disc 11.
    14. Thinking of You --actual disc 2.
    15. Daylight Moonlight: Live At Yakushiji DVD --not included here.

Disc 4 is the album The Light Of The Spirit.

If you have previously acquired the 4 disc Kitaro:Digital Box Set, (also $9.99 at 7dig) you will have 23 duplicate tracks, but given the number of whole albums here I think I can live with that.

Edit - BTW, the next most expensive New Age set at Amazon is also $9.99 at 7digital - Mysteria, 10 discs of "mysterious electronic tracks" - the management can not endorse this unknown quantity.
    0001164158_350.jpg

Here's another unknown quantity severely underpriced at 7dig, Donaueschingen Festival 75 Years:1921-1996, 12 discs, 15 hours, running a very wide gamut of music, $9.99 -
    0001051628_350.jpg

Care for a Box Of The Wicked? 5 disc set from Iced Earth, $9.99 7dig, $40 at Amazon.
    0000848471_350.jpg
  • If you're interested Eric Clapton's new one - Old S*ck - it is $5 at 7digital. Though I worshiped at the altar long ago, latter day Clapton often does not do much for me, and the samples from this don't seem likely to change that.
    0002185143_350.jpg
  • edited March 2013
    BigD, thanks for noting the Kitaro set. It's a lot to consume all at once, so I might wait a month. To some extent, my experiment with New Age is coming to an end. I feel that it's a lot harder to say that "I like New Age" like than I could theoretically say with Hip Hop. All the good things I've found I like in spite of their categorization: how they reflect some other genre. There's good guitar music, which I could say "relaxed me," but the more the music was constructed for its use value, the weaker it got.
  • I'm still enjoying some new age sprinkled in with everything else; I think I'll experiment for a while with it. I think the vaporwave stuff I've been listening which appropriates some new age ideas, and some of the droney synthy stuff recently sort of prepped me for it. But I can't see listening to that much Kitaro at this point in the experiment. But thanks for the notice!
  • edited March 2013
    300x300.jpg

What ho? This appears to be new...5.84 at eMu
  • This Bud Powell Birdland 1953 is on my to-do list and FWIW it's a few clams cheaper at 7digital ($9.99) than the $13.10 at eMu and $17 something at Amazon.
    600x600.jpg
  • edited March 2013
    I just happened to notice that the two Art Tatum live Storyville sets are $5.84 over at eMu - am I wrong or did they not used to be more, or did they not have them? Because I got them at 7digital for a little more than that and was well happy at the time. Anyway, here's the links, and they are good stuff: Volume 1, 102 tracks, and Volume 2, 110 tracks. Same cover (it was a 10 CD box originally - there's a breakdown of it on the eMu MB).
    600x600.jpg
    Just realized that the series of single disc Storyville Art Tatum Live Volume blah-blah eMu has, at $5.99 apiece, are from the box sets above - distinctly not a bargain that way.
  • edited July 2013
    I'm wondering if this 4 disc Definitive The Capitol Sessions 1953-1955 is the material that was on the OOP Mosaic Duke Ellington Capitol box - can't find a track listing but Duke was only on Capitol those couple of years. 88 Tracks, $5.84.
    51HfqcJcioL._SX300_.jpg
    Edit - Had tp patch in the Amazon image for this since eMu seems to have lost the cover - WTF?

And, yes, I'm scurrying through my SFLs to pluck out a few big collections just in case this recent eMu merger/acquisition or whatever ends up screwing the pooch, augering in, or buying the farm.
  • @BDB, ignorant question, that Duke set, is it piano, band, vocal, mixture...?
  • edited March 2013
    Gp, mostly band, some vocals.
  • @kargatron and GP - haven't had time to listen to a lot yet but has been both band and vocal tracks. Kargatron, thanks for that link - the set above contains all the tracks on your link in that order only omitting the ones listed as unissued - not a bad deal.
  • labyrinthitis-cover.jpg

Jacob Kirkegaard - Labyrinthitis. 38+ minutes of subtle drone, test-pattern-esque. Single track, 89 cents on Amazon.

"Jacob Kirkegaard has turned his ears inwards: His new work LABYRINTHITIS is an interactive sound piece that consists entirely of sounds generated in the artist’s auditory organs – and will cause audible responses in those of the audience.

LABYRINTHITIS relies on a principle employed both in medical science and musical practice: When two frequencies at a certain ratio are played into the ear, additional vibrations in the inner ear will produce a third frequency. This frequency is generated by the ear itself: a so-called “distortion product otoacoustic emission” (DPOAE), also referred to in musicology as “Tartini tone”."

There is science involved......Full review
  • edited July 2013
    Well, kids, you can thank eMu for this one, though you may not want to buy it there, for $59.90, but I was poking around the MultiDisc listings and I thought Let me check 7digital later, and voila - $9.99 for 2 Ts for a Lovely T - by the Cecil Taylor Free Trio, 10 discs, 7+ hours, an apparently highly regarded work, "essential listening for any serious student of contemporary music." according to the eMu page. Bon chance.
    600x600.jpg

Also see that 7dig has these comps at half the price of eMu - Piano Boogie Woogie Volume 1 and Volume 2, both 3 disc sets at $8.99, over 5 hours each of serious talent - umm.
    0000878896_350.jpg
    Whoa, is that the cat from Reefer Madness on that cover?
  • I'm not sure how long this website has been around, but Pop Market apparently has different daily limited edition box sets, etc. This might be worth checking in on for some of us.
  • edited April 2013
    Found this set - Essential Jazz Masters - Horace Parlan - over at eMu - $5.84, 46 tracks, 293 minutes. The material contained is from the 1960-1961 albums he did for Blue Note, and encompasses a great deal of the material found on The Complete Horace Parlan Blue Note Sessions - which was a Mosaic box originally. I've re-tagged most of the tracks into their six original albums with aid of his AMG listings, including Up And Down which features Grant Green (props to doofy on that one) - you get 6 tracks on this set, you can pick up the alternate take of Fugee at Guvera, which leaves you one long track shy of the whole, which as doofy pointed out is at Amazon for $1.99 - The Other Part Of Town. Really good stuff, and his AMG bio led me to pick up some of his recordings with Stanley Turrentine that are at G. - Look Out! and That's Where It's At. Very satisfactory .
    600x600.jpg

Ah, I see eMu has this two-fer - Up At Minton's - by Stanley Turrentine with Horace Parlan and Grant Green - $5.19. Alas, G. only has 4 of the 8 tracks.
    600x600.jpg
  • edited April 2013
    I was doing a little re-tagging housework this morning, and picking up a few tracks from G. with my few remaining downloads. Specifically I was re-tagging this Grant Green from eMu:
    600x600.jpg
    which is alas no longer available in our country - it was a great deal, yielding about 7 albums. Checking the label, Stardust where it came from I did see this however:
    600x600.jpg
    Baby Face Willette - Essential Jazz Masters, which is not as good a deal as the Grant Green, which contained all 3 included albums plus more, this release will get you three Grant Green/Willette albums - Grant's First Stand, then Stop And Listen, and Face To Face, the last two under Willette's name, which is, in spite of re-tagging work, not a bad deal and good stuff.
  • edited April 2013
    600x600.jpg
    Continuing the re-tagging - this one, Harvey Mandel - Essential Guitar Masters - is still available at eMu for $4.40, and now that I've hunted the tracks down to their source albums, this will yield you: Cristo Redentor plus Selected Sessions (the original album plus bonus side tracks), Righteous, Games Guitars Play, some cuts from Don "Sugarcane" Harris' Fiddler On The Rock album, as well as 5 tracks from Choice Cuts by Pure Food & Drug Act of which they were both members, which album is very much out of print.
    61jdDJM5gjL._SY300_.jpg
  • While nothing new this is a nice wide ranging comp of Chicago blues - Blues Men Of Chicago, 100 tracks for $6.49. If you have a hole to fill Chicago wise this would do nicely.
  • edited May 2013
    (cross-posted)
    51pso0ZriCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Was about to get this for $5.99 on emusic. On Amazon it's $1.78.

ETA, and this one is 0.89 for the whole album.
    61CUU2vJV2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    The remaining volume of the trilogy is cheaper at emusic.
  • New over at eMu - Jazztet - The Complete Sessions - Art Farmer/Benny Golson, 4 discs, 57 tracks, 5 hours, $6.49. Here's a link to the CD box set at Amazon, with review discussing what albums this contains - any thoughts on this out there?
    600x600.jpg
  • edited May 2013
    The music is great (though for stuff like this, doesn't every just go to their favorite streaming service and just check it out themselves? :) It's a subset of this Verve set Farmer/Golson - Complete Argo/Mercury which is a copy of the original Mosaic set, available at 5x the price. Of course, it's technically a bootleg, but the music is >50 years old. I've been mulling picking up the Verve set for a while, and still might, to get the smaller group sessions and support the reissue effort. But this is a steal for sure.
  • edited May 2013
    Stumbled upon this recent addition at 7digital - The Complete Live Recordings 1952-1958, Oscar Peterson - a 4 disc set, $8.99. Haven't found this at other services, and there is no provenance on where the performances are from or how "complete" it is. With Ray Brown, Herb Ellis, and Barney Kessel listed on the cover, and from everything I've listened to thus far it is fairly obvious these are Oscar Peterson Trio recordings - Kessel was with him in 53/53, Ellis after him. The only dupes I have found on it against what's in my Peterson Trio material seem to be about 6 tracks from the Concertgebouw album, possibly some from the Stratford album. Good stuff here though, and given how much I dig the Trio I am stoked to have found it. Edit - The first ten tracks are from the OOP Jazz At The Philharmonic. It also contains the On The Town with the Oscar Peterson Trio album from Verve which I didn't have (though not the bonus tracks).
    0002714591_350.jpg

Well, I found a French CD set for sale on Ebay, le voila:
    Oscar Peterson "Live recordings 1952-1958" french box 4 CDs CODA Editions 2010
    Ce coffret regroupe en 4 CD soigneusement mast
  • edited July 2013
    Haven't had much to say lately on this thread. However, if you are in need of a serious Bo Diddley fix Bo Diddley - The Collection 1958-1961 could be what you need - 76 tracks, $6.49. This comprises the entirety plus a few singles of six Bo albums - Bo Diddley, Go Bo Diddley, Have Guitar Will Travel, In The Spotlight, Bo Diddley Is A Gunslinger, and Bo Diddley Is A Lover. I know this because all of this is on the CD box set I have Bo Diddley - 6 Classic Albums which I consider a very happy buy.
    600x600.jpg
    Edit - Also, this Nina Simone - The Collection 1958-1960 looks to be identical to this CD box - Nina Simone - 5 Classic Albums.
    This brings me to Johnny Cash - it was this newly dropped set that brought me to this label, Johnny Cash - The Collection Volume 1 1957-1960, 118 tracks, $6.49. It looks to be exactly the contents of a similar CD set Johnny Cash - 8 Classic Albums over at Amazon where I got the Bo box set. Pretty good deal.
    600x600.jpg

Or maybe this is what Johnny has to say about public domain expiration:
    johnny%2520cash-9.jpg
  • The label, Marmot Music, has a few of these out-of-copyright collections that are "good deals" and a few that are horrible ($6.49 for less that thirty minutes of Ernesto Aquino?) I suppose if someone needed to fill in their early-60's classic country collection, this is a place to start.
  • edited July 2013
    Here's a Marmot Music label link for Amazon - thanks for tip, amclark2 - with a wider selection than eMu. The collection that perked my little ears up is The Shadows - The Albums and EPs Collection 1961-1962. For such an influential band they can be difficult to score a proper box set, at a reasonable price.

Here is a link for MP3 versions of the Eight Classic Album series from Real Gone Jazz - which seem to be the "inspiration" for the Marmot Collections. What is notable is that the price point for some of them is dropping to $9.49 from where it had been at around $25 - the Marmots are still cheaper. I had found and bought a few of these at 7digital for about $9 I think because they were priced so high at Amazon. I have bought a number of these on CD - Amazon other sellers often are pretty cheap - and have no complaints about audio or content - well, they are often as they say classic albums. Only downside is no liner notes, no info aside from the album names, but hey we're used to that in digital land aren't we? With prices coming down this is a series worth watching, as well as their copycats.
  • There are some 7 classic albums and 6 classic albums packages too; disk 2 track 8 of the Ornette Coleman 6 set is the entire 37 minutes of the Free Jazz album as one $.99 track!
  • edited July 2013
    Hmm, I says to myself - this newly dropped box, 4 discs, 101 tracks, is $30 at eMu. Amazon only has the CD version for $55. Ah, 7digital has it for $9.99 - Los Nuggetz - 60's Punk, Pop, and Psychedelic From Latin America. This is either going to be good, or very much not. The Cd writeup at Amazon was encouraging. Will report after digesting, or maldigesting.
    EDIT - I have been very entertained by this. I wouldn't get it just for novelty because that'll wear thin, but being a garage type fan I am liking this a lot.
    0002821141_350.jpg

With a tad more investigation I find that this box set, also by Rockbeat Records, which I had seen and lusted after in the CD version at Amazon, is also available at 7digital - Surf Age Nuggets - $9.99 as well. If the previous set gets done downloading before the end of time, I'll probably get this as well.
    0002035967_350.jpg
    EDIT - This is a way cool set of surf, and not the usual suspects, so it doesn't duplicate other surf comps I have. A big thumbs up for this.
  • edited July 2013
    50th Birthday Celebration Volume-11 - Bar Kokhba Sextet, 3 CDs, 3:21 worth of music for $9.99. The Sextet is: Cyro Baptista on percussion, Marc Ribot on guitar, Greg Cohen on bass, Joey Baron on drums, Mark Feldman on violin and Erik Friedlander on cello. According to Last.FM, "it’s sephardic exotica for young moderns."

Edit: Down loading this was an adventure, since 7Dig has "upgraded" their downloader so that it is no longer compatible with Chrome. After several attempts, I download a zip file, but the tags were bad for the tracks (adding a /28 to each track, resulting in a mixed up confusion). I suspect the whole thing was planned by John Zorn to torture the would-be listener.
  • @ BD-B Los Nuggetz... I am so getting that set just for the cover of The Who's "My Generation" (2nd track, disc 3). Thanks!
  • re the "upgraded" 7digital Download Manager, it is way faster than the old one but the tagging was all screwed up - Surf Age Nuggets for instance didn't download as Various Artists>Surf Age Nuggets>song as it would have with the old DLM but as Artist>Surf Age Nuggets>song so it didn't list in order or any album continuity and had to be manually reorganized. This doesn't matter once it's in iTunes but I like to backup the MP3s to disc, as well as to hard drive, independently of the iTunes folder so this is a PITA. Sent their CS an e-mail, will post their response. It's not like I use 7digital a lot but since what I usually get there are these big sets I'm not thrilled with this.