Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• edited April 2015
    In reference to the Moochin' About  series, it looks like somebody got hip to the pricing because the Art Blakey has disappeared from eMu as well as several others.  The Stateside 62 has been replaced with 4 one disc sets. Only the Stateside 61 remains with 336 tracks, so get it now if you wanted it.  7digital has some Moochin' releases - the Blakey, although at $10.99, as well as 4 disc 1956 and 1957 entries also at $10.99.  There are a few older ones but they have nothing like the number of tracks on those others.
  • edited April 2015
    Various Artists - Bach & Sons 
    7-disc set of J.S. and C.P.E. Bach with Amandine Beyer, 93 tracks, $41.60 at emusic, $10.99 at 7digital.

4 discs/6.49 at eMu.  Discovered via this Peter Margasak column:

"This four-CD set of the work of Ghanaian highlife pioneer E.T. Mensah compiles 69 tracks from the 50s and 60s with liner notes by producer and scholar John Collins. The seductively slinking grooves bear traces of swing, calypso, and Latin rhythms as well as local dance styles—a hybrid that not only had a profound impact on Fela Kuti but also provided a model for the integration of sounds from the African diaspora (American funk, Cuban son) into the music of their homeland."

He also likes the Scott Walker/Sunn collab
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for the heads up on this.
    A good price at $9.99 even without membership - 
    which I tried but had to jump thru too many weird hoops
    that I think I'll just drool over this for now.

[The last time I read a copy of The Яeader was in '87]
  • Oh, man...thanks for that.
    Real easy - done in less than a minute.
    Thanks again!
  • 99p on Google Play just today. Maybe similar deal in the States??

Also a number of "Big Albums" at £1.99

• edited May 2015
    4 disc Graham Bond Organisation box set for $6.49 at eMu - I don't know a lot about this band other than Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker's being in it, but some of the reviews at Amazon for this were positive.
    [url=http://www.emusic.com/album/various-artists/the-graham-bond-organization-wade-in-the-water-classics-origins-oddities/15433299/]
    EDIT - Well, folks, looks like somebody got hip to this because when I just went to download this it has vanished.  Couldn't do it at work yesterday and now it's gone.  Oh, well.
    EDIT 2 - Managed to snag it by clicking on a different section of the icon in my SFL - try from the Repertoire Records page, that also seemed to work - [url=http://www.emusic.com/browse/album/all/label:365655/?sort=newest]  Rearrange to Most Recent and it should be about 4 or 5 rows down.

• Thanks BigD, and I'll second the plug for the Graham Bond set.  It's a steal at that price.  Got it last night and listened to about the first 25 tracks, good stuff.  Another review here:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/wade-in-the-water-classics-origins-oddities-mw0002418384

• @Muggsy - thanks for that link.  They have much better info on whose on what, and I'm psyched that Ernest Ranglin is on there - he is one of my undersung heroes.  Will have to claw out some listening time for this.
  • edited May 2015
    Gigantic Cab Calloway set, 163 songs, on the Doxy label - where there are other big sets, none as big as this one I don't think.  I picked up a huge blues collection at Amazon the other day from them that was really good, but I don't see it at eMu.
     Cab Calloway http://www.emusic.com/album/-/-/15436767
    This was the blues comp but it comes up as unavailable at Amazon - was too good a deal at $4.99 I guess - The Complete Blues Anthology(Doxy Collection - Remastered).  Had a great selection of standards and some songs I had never heard before. EDIT - I WAS ROBBED - 7digital has this 167 song set for $2.99, $3.49 for FLAC - Insane.  Highly, most highly recommended.  [url=https://us.7digital.com/artist/various-artists/release/the-complete-blues-anthology/?src=live-search]Complete Blues Anthology[/url]

• edited May 2015

Not new, but not mentioned in a while - 10 discs/7 hours of the Cecil Taylor Feel Trio (William Parker, Tony Oxley) for 11.88 over at Amazon US.
  • I'm just working my way through the 4 disc Graham Bond Organisation box set.  Thanks for that tip BigD and for the link!
  • There's a 6 CD compilation of Django Reinhardt from 1936 onward that is $40 at 7digital, $35 at emusic, but at the moment $11.98 on Amazon.
    Sultan Of Swing
  • edited May 2015
    @Germanprof, that's a nice set of Django.  It looks like material from the latter CDs of the JSP box sets Django In Chronological Order, and then Django Volume 2 - Paris and London.  Nice intro for small money, grouped chronologically.
    Anyhow, I'm currently listening to the Dizzy Gillespie release in The Birth Of Bebop series from Reloaded Records at eMu  - http://www.emusic.com/browse/album/all/label:1120106/?sort=newest
    Huge set at 78 songs and 454 minutes, but it does sound good so far, and with a booster pack sale I can live whatever duplicates I'm acquiring.  Also their Countrypolitan Classic series has some 100 track monsters in it also, but there were mislabelled tracks in the Hank Williams set.

• Simeon Ten Holt: Complete Multiple Piano Works, just a bit over 700 minutes of minimalist piano, $5.84

From an Amazon Review, "Simeon ten Holt is a Dutch composer born in 1923. He studied with Jakob van Domselaer and in Paris with Milhaud and Honegger, then went through various compositional phases, first struggling out of van Domselaer's tonal influence, then becoming serially tonal (Berg obviously proves that this in no contradiction in terms), e.g. striving to organize the tonal material according to serial principles. But it is really his embrace of repetitive music, with his seminal Canto Ostinato (1976-1979, here featured on discs 1 & 2) that made his breakthrough to wide public attention in his home country - and, as could be expected, controversy."
  • @BigD-Bluez - On those Birth of the BeBop sets, are they collected from albums or live/radio performances? 
  • @Plong42 - There are some live tracks but most of them seem to be studio material.  I have not had time to try and figure out the sources, and at the booster sale price I may never.  Haven't found any objection to the sound quality so far.
  • Thanks....if they are mostly studio then I probably do have a majority of them already, but as you say, with a booster it is not a great expense.
  • Google Play has 3 Jazz items for free - a jazz sampler of jazz pioneers, Billie Holliday (Columbia Legacy's Playlist) and Miles Davis (also from the Playlist Series). Not sure I'm missing any tunes from here, but will check later on. They are free (Google Play U.S.). 

Art Blakey, Complete Studio Recordings (with Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter & Bobby Timmons) [Bonus Track Version],54 tracks, 327+ minutes
  • Not really mispriced, but the Oscar Peterson Trio,  Exclusively for My Friends: Mellow Mood, Vol. V (Live) is six tracks for $2.94. Just happens there are no long tracks to kick in album pricing. 
  • Thanks Plong.  I have noticed and wondered about those Oscar albums on MPS, which is/was a German label.   They are from the 60s, when surely he was recording on a US label?  Anyway, they are apparently well-regarded and were released as a box set years ago.  Will check it out...
  • @Doofy and Plong42 - eMu has that Oscar Peterson box set  it looks like - http://www.emusic.com/album/oscar-peterson/exclusively-for-my-friends-live/15087699/
  • Excellent find BDB, thanks!  That Baden Powell set I posted yesterday is also a bargain MPS box set
  • edited June 2015
    @Doofy - hey, thank you.  Can not have me too much Oscar Peterson - he might have the biggest artist Smart Playlist in my whole iTunes.  EDIT - Curiosity prompted me to check - Oscar is #2 it turns out, surpassed only by Coltrane, thanks no doubt to the Heavyweight Champion box epic misprice deal from eMu on that major label roll-out.
  • Thanks from me too, will be on to that Peterson box as soon as I am in the same country as my computer...
  • edited June 2015
    Someone posted this on the emusic discussion board and I just noticed it is even cheaper on Amazon US:
    $2.99 for the complete Haydn strong quartets, that's slightly under 24 hours of music. Detailed info here.

ETA, getting the Amazon downloader to deposit this is a bit of a labor of love. After the first 150 tracks it seemed to lose the plot in terms of track numbers and would go through the motions of downloading but leave no files behind. After several attempts it had given me 12 more files. Eventually I fixed it by moving the existing folder of already downloaded files to another place to give it a clean start in the download location - it started downloading again but track 163 was numbered track 76 and since there it has been numbering upward again from 76 with all the tracknumbers downshifted by 87 places. In other words there are two sets of files, one numbered 1-162 and the second (starting with what should be 163) numbered 76-end. Not sure if this is a fault in the files or the downloader.
  • Thanks for the tip on the Haydn. I deleted the new Amazon music player from my system and now the when Amazon prompts me to install it, I click on the "or use the old downloader" and I have no troubles at all. Amazon Music player consistently crashes for me, and unlike their other stellar support, the music player is not well supported. 
  • Direct link to the old Amazon mp3 downloader:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help/amd-bm.html?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0  They don't make it easy to find, but it's still there.  Is performance as bad for their "Prime" player as for the "Cloud" player?  Can't imagine that it is...