Favourite Rock Albums from the late 60s and early 70s

Comments

• Bad Company
    Bad Company are a 1970s British hard rock, blues-rock group fronted by Paul “The Voice” Rodgers. Their name came from a ‘70s Western movie and they were formed by former members of Mott the Hoople, Free, and King Crimson.

1975                           Straight Shooter

• Well, once again I'll apologize for my loose interpretation of "Rock" music. During the "60's & '70s I was discovering so much interesting music I couldn't commit myself to one style of music.
    Ben Sidran

1974                                            Don't Let Go
  • Here's one I wore out in High School -

• edited January 2021
    John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers “Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton“.

AMG says of the band, “Finishing school for leading British blues-rock Musicians including Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, John McVie, Jack Bruce and many others”.

and of the album, ”...a seminal blues album of the 1960s, perhaps the best British blues album ever cut...”.

So where it all started for bands like Cream, Fleetwood Mac plus many others.

• edited January 2021
    Psychedelic rock band formed by Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth in France in 1969. Gong became pioneers of a new brand of psychedelia/space-rock/trip-rock - with a conceptual ethos involving aliens and alternative realities. An international outfit, increasingly linked to other bands of the Canterbury scene, many musicians came and went. Without Daevid the band continued with Steve Hillage as leader for a short while, and then in various incarnations as the more jazz-rock styled Pierre Moerlen's Gong. There have been many other versions of Gong over the years, and many reformations since 1990.
  • The above reminds me of my life with 70s Virgin Records. You can add all of those to this list.
  • Moving on from John Mayall to the Peter Green version of Fleetwood Mac.

To my mind, their best studio album of the Peter Green era was "English Rose" with all time favourites, "Black Magic Woman" and "Albatross". Unusual album cover.

Their best live album and one of the best live albums of any band was "Live At The Boston Tea Party Part One" and Parts Two and Three were pretty good too.

• edited January 2021
    ^^ The Boston Tea Party recordings was once available from Emusic . . . Fantastic recording. :)
    - On hot rotation back in the days and still a very enjoyable listen:
    Ford Theatre was a psychedelic rock band from Boston, USA that were active in between 1966 and 1971.
    The band got its start as a band called The Continentals, which formed around 1961.
    Five years later, with the addition of two new members, they changed their name to Ford Theatre
    After releasing two LPs on ABC Records the band didn't manage to get a new deal for a third album, so the members decided to disband Ford Theatre in 1971.

Band members
    Harry Palmer - guitar
    John Mazzarelli - keyboards, vocals
    Butch Webster - lead guitar
    Joey Scott - lead vocals
    Jimmy Altieri - bass, vocals
    Robert Tamagni drums, vocals
  • ^^ The Boston Tea Party recordings was once available from Emusic . . . Fantastic recording. :)
    On hot rotation back in the days and still a very enjoyable listen.
    Ford Theatre was a psychedelic rock band from Boston, USA that were active in between 1966 and 1971.
    The band got its start as a band called The Continentals, which formed around 1961.
    Five years later, with the addition of two new members, they changed their name to Ford Theatre
    After releasing two LPs on ABC Records the band didn't manage to get a new deal for a third album, so the members decided to disband Ford Theatre in 1971.

Band members
    Harry Palmer - guitar
    John Mazzarelli - keyboards, vocals
    Butch Webster - lead guitar
    Joey Scott - lead vocals
    Jimmy Altieri - bass, vocals
    Robert Tamagni drums, vocals
    Wow - having grown up in Boston, I've never heard of this band. Alas, I was a bit young at the time to have yet strayed into psychedelia ......  I've got some searching to do!
  • @peterfrederics - The Beano Bluesbreakers album, an all time favourite for me, right back to its original release, one of my first LP purchases when in the Sixth Form
  • edited January 2021
    Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger & The Trinity.

I can remember thinking as a young teenager in the swinging sixties that Jools was the absolute ultimate in "cool" and what a fabulous voice. Brian was a match for her as a musician and, to my mind, criminally underrated. 

Two outstanding albums were "Open" and particularly "Streetnoise". Tracks like "Season Of The Witch", "Road To Cairo", "Tropic of Capricorn", "A World About Colour" and "Flesh Failures (Let The Sunshine In)". And who can forget their cover version of Bob Dylan's "This Wheel's On Fire" made famous by Ab Fab.

AMG says "Streetnoise is brilliant". Nuff said!

https://www.allmusic.com/album/streetnoise-mw0000654691

https://www.allmusic.com/album/open-mw0000205733
  • rostasi said:
    The above reminds me of my life with 70s Virgin Records. You can add all of those to this list.
    Such as this one . . . ?
    Unrest (1974)
    Full stream at Soundcloud

British avantgarde/art-rock group, founded in May 1968 at Cambridge University by multi-instrumentalists Fred Frith and Tim Hodgkinson. Other important long-term members alongside Frith and Hodgkinson were drummer Chris Cutler, bassist John Greaves and bassoonist/oboist Lindsay Cooper. Henry Cow disbanded in 1978.

• Yeah, boy! That and about 3 or 4 others during that time. Concerts, especially!
  • Heading over to Canterbury, you can't do much better than Caravan. From my point of view, on a par with Soft Machine.

My favourite albums are "If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You" and "In the Land of Grey and Pink". 

https://www.allmusic.com/album/if-i-could-do-it-all-over-again-id-do-it-all-over-you-mw0000762821

https://www.allmusic.com/album/in-the-land-of-grey-and-pink-mw0000463611

• edited January 2021
    @peterfredericks -That sure brought back some memories. Although this is the only album I have
    on vinyl, I'm very familiar with his music and when I get finished playing with the vinyl I'll tackle
    those boxes of cassettes.
    Brian Auger 

1973-75          Brian Auger's Oblivion Express
     1970                   Brian Auger & The Trinity

Ps - That reminds me - Happiness Is Just Around the Bend - starting Jan. 20th.

• Perhaps my favorite Beach Boys record???
  • Or one of my favorite Dylan albums .....
  • And lest we forget Mr. Tim Buckley ...
  • My vinyl has some bad scratches but I was able to replace it some years ago with the deluxe set.
    Blind Faith

1969                                                          Blind Faith
  • edited January 2021
    stewrat said:
    And lest we forget Mr. Tim Buckley ..
    Never.
     . . . "The antique people are fading out slowly
    Like newspapers flaming in mind suicide
    Godless and sexless directionless loons
    Their sham sandcastles dissolve in the tide
    They put on their deathmasks and compromise daily
    The new children will live for the elders have died
    And I wave goodbye to America And smile hello to the world"
    **********************************************************************************************

No Sixties thread without:
    (1969)
  • edited January 2021
    Probably about time that we paid a visit to Krautrock!

Agitation Free are not as well known as bands like Can and Neu! but were every bit as good and put out some outstanding music including some great live albums.

My favourite studio album is "2nd" which AMG describes as follows "Agitation Free's 2nd stands as one of Germany's finest instrumental rock albums of the 1970s and a classic for fans of progressive rock and Krautrock".

Of their live albums, I really like "Last" of which ProgArchives says "Their aptly titled "Last" is considered by many to be one of the best live space albums ever. Lots of acid-drenched guitar and electronics to really carry you "out there"."

https://www.allmusic.com/album/2nd-mw0000457622

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=627
  • edited January 2021

• ^^ Thanks . . . Checking out.

Agitation Free - Rare Live Footage - ORTF (1973/06/19)
    - This is from back in the days when the bands could go on and on for hours.
  • edited January 2021

• edited January 2021
    "Edge of Time" by DOM

Ranked No. 2 out of all Krautrock albums on ProgArchives.

ProgArchives says "The concept of the album is based upon a bad "trip", its consequences on mind and perception of time (introduced on the cover of the album)". Read the back cover of the album below. "An avant garde, dreamy and poetic album that can easily convince every fan of the genre".

"The music reaches the listener into a space, acoustic "trip" dominated by guitars and percussions. Introspect electric organs parts, bass "drones", simplistic "weird" electronic effects are added to the mix in order to deliver an unforgettable psychedelic "voyage""

In other words, a mind blowing experience!

https://www.allmusic.com/album/edge-of-time-mw0000553783

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxf1mf
  • edited January 2021
    I plead guilty to 1964 being a bit early to qualify as late 60s (!!) but the first song that started a life-long love of rock for me was The Kinks song "You Really Got Me" with that killer riff. "All Day and All of the Night" came a very close second. 

As AMG says "The Kinks were one of the most influential bands of the British Invasion. Early singles "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night" were brutal, three-chord ravers that paved the way for punk and metal while inspiring peers like "The Who"". So for me, they laid the foundation for the great music of the late 60s and early 70s.

My first two Kinks albums were the budget label Marble Arch compilations "Well Respected Kinks" and "Sunny Afternoon". No brainer buys at only twelve shillings and sixpence!

I should also mention one of my favourite ever singles "Waterloo Sunset" from 1967. My first job was working for a company based on the Embankment close to Waterloo Station so it held a special meaning for me. "As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset, I am in paradise....".

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-kinks-mn0000100160/biography