Favourite Rock Albums from the late 60s and early 70s

Comments

• Well, his 1969 album introduced me to Duane Allman & thus The Allman Brothers Band, which I'm forever grateful.
    Boz Scaggs

1969                     Boz Scaggs                            1971                Boz Scaggs & Band

1971                      Moments                               1972                      My Time

Loan Me A Dime 

• edited January 2021

ST, 1971
    - The best prog band from Sweden, ever.
    Swedish music group formed by Lars Hollmer, Hans Bruniusson, Lars Krantz and Bebben Öberg in 1970. After Bebben Öberg left the group 1971, Coste Apetrea joined them autumn 1972. 1976 Samla took a break and reformed 1977 as Zamla Mammaz Manna, now with Eino Haapala on guitar. 1978 Zamla became the swedish member of Rock In Opposition (RIO). 1980 Lars Hollmer and Eino Haapala continued as Von Zamla together with members from Albert Marcoeur's group and Univers Zero. 1990 Samla reformed, Hans Bruniusson being replaced by Tatsuya Yoshida in 2002.

• This is not a favourite, but a little curiosity that showed up on Bandcamp today.
    The Herd had a huge hit (in Denmark at least) in '67 called From the Underworld that really stands out from the rest of the tracks.

The Herd (feat. Peter Frampton) - From The Underworld (1967)
    The Herd were an English pop rock, band, founded in 1965 in the UK. In 1966 a 16-year-old Peter Frampton joined as lead singer and guitarist. The band had three UK top twenty hits in the late 1960s, including "From the Underworld" and "I Don't Want Our Loving to Die", before Frampton left in 1968 to form Humble Pie with Steve Marriott. The band broke up shortly after, reforming briefly and unsuccessfully in 1971.
  • edited January 2021
    @Brighternow correctly reminds us of the great bands that came out of Scandinavia.

One of my favourites is Älgarnas Trädgård and their amazing album "Framtiden Är Eat Svävande Skepp, Förankrat I Forntiden" which translates as "The Future is a Floating Ship Anchored in Antiquity”.

AMG says "...one of the pinnacles of underground psychedelic rock -- comparable to early Pink Floyd and other masters of freak-out excellence" and "make no mistake, this disc is for fans of....wildly inventive, deeply textured, wondrously executed psychedelic process rock".

ProgArchives says "....a cult classic and masterpiece of psychedelia.....".

https://www.allmusic.com/album/framtiden-är-ett-svåavande-skepp-förankrat-i-forntiden-mw0000457439

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1015
  • @peterfrederics - I've still got that Well Respected Kinks LP somewhere!

A couple more

Air Conditioning Remastered amp Expanded Edition

Liege And Lief
  • The Paul Butterfield Blues Band "East West"

AMG says "East-West would prove to be a pivotal album in the new blues-rock movement".

https://www.allmusic.com/album/east-west-mw0000193694
  • ^^See one play one.
    The Blues Project (originally Al KooperAndy KulbergDanny KalbDonald Kretmar
                                                     Roy BlumenfeldSteve KatzTommy Flanders)

1966                     Projections                             1972                 Blues Project
  • edited January 2021
    The Electric Prunes on Discogs
    Psychedelic rock band formed in 1965 in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley. They reached their highest US charting success in 1966 with "I Had To Much to Dream Last Night" (peaking at #11). They released two albums in 1967: "The Electric Prunes: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)" and "Underground". They broke up in 1968 during the recording sessions for their third album "Mass in F Minor", which was composed and arranged by David Axelrod. The album was completed by Axelrod and producer Dave Hassinger using session musicians and Canadian band The Collectors (4). A fourth album "Release of an Oath" was released in 1968, also composed and arranged by David Axelrod, and produced by Dave Hassinger with session musicians providing the music. This was followed in 1969 by a "Just Good Old Rock and Roll" recorded by a different group of musicians under the name of The Improved New Electric Prunes, since the name was legally owned by their producer Dave Hassinger.

• Moolah - Woe Ye Demons Possessed (1974)

• Buffalo Springfield

1967                      Buffalo Springfield Again
    Buffalo Springfield Again is the second album by Buffalo Springfield, released on Atco Records in November 1967. It peaked at #44 on the Billboard 200. In 2003, the album was ranked number 188 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. The album was included in Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.
  • Buckingham Nicks

1973                         Buckingham Nicks
  • edited January 2021
    Spirit - I like all their first four albums but my favourite is their first s/t one. Primarily because of the tune "Fresh Garbage" which I believe was a play on the Cream album "Fresh Cream". 

ProgArchives says "Spirit is a legendary psychedelic rock band that has never managed to achieve great success although their albums, mainly their early ones are regarded by fans and critics as masterpieces". 

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/spirit-mn0000746010/biography

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2643
  • edited January 2021
    The Spencer Davis Group with a young Stevie Winwood (prior to joining Traffic and Blind Faith) were a great band. They had big hits with "I'm a Man" (later covered by Chicago Transit Authority), "Keep on Running", "Gimme Some Lovin'", "Somebody Help Me" and "Every Little Bit Hurts" plus a personal, less well known favourite of mine - "Waltz for Lumumba".

I saw them live one night but I can't remember much about it! It was the 60s after all!

AMG says "Seminal blues and R&B influenced British rock group featuring a young Steve Winwood."

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-spencer-davis-group-mn0000482600/biography
  • While I always felt that The Guess Who had some great individual songs early on, it was not until much later that I embraced the full discography.
  • My memories started here

1968        The Staccatos And The Guess Who? 
                                - A Wild Pair
    This album was produced as a promotional vehicle by Coca-Cola and was available to consumers by sending 10 cork liners* branded "Coke", $1.00 (plus provincial tax where applicable) and 25¢ for mailing and handling to Coke. The offer was good until April 12, 1968
  • edited January 2021
    When it comes to these guys, it's impossible to pick just one album . . .

• edited January 2021
     Camel did a number of excellent albums including “Moonmadness”, “The Snow Goose” and their first, self-titled album “Camel”. However, my favourite is “Mirage”.

ProgArchives rates “Mirage” as No. 2 album for 1974, one of the stellar years for Prog.

• One of those albums I had on vinyl, tape and CD, wonder if its on digital. Only made 2 albums and sadly passed last year.
  • (1972)
    German krautrock band formed in Düsseldorf in 1971 by Klaus Dinger and Michael Rother, after their split from Kraftwerk. The group's albums were produced by Conny Plank, who has been regarded as the group's "hidden member". Though Neu! had minimal commercial success during its existence, the band is retrospectively considered one of the founders of krautrock and a significant influence on a variety of subsequent rock, post-punk, and electronic music artists.

Klaus Dinger played drums on the first Kraftwerk LP in 1971. The following year he joined forces with Michael Rother and they formed Neu!, releasing their self-titled debut LP on German label Brain. Their music was heavily innovative and influential, melting distorted guitars with metronomic drumming, noise effects and tapes. The second LP, "Neu! 2", was released in 1973 and featured the first remix experiments, with tracks recorded at 16 and 78 rpm. The band split in 1975 after releasing their final LP, "Neu! 75". They eventually recorded more material in the 1980s. Michael Rother pursued a solo career, while Klaus Dinger went on to form La Düsseldorf. Neu! were highly influential on industrial, noise and experimental music.
  • edited January 2021
    “Fragile” by Yes.

Rated No.1 by ProgArchives for 1971, one of prog’s best ever years.

• edited January 2021

• rostasi said:

Both excellent choices - It took a long time to find the IABD LP back in the mid-70s.
  • edited January 2021
    “Affinity” by the band of the same name. Best tracks are “ Cocoanut Grove”, “Three Sisters”, a great cover version of Dylan’s “All Along The Watchtower” and “Night Flight” (one of my top twenty tracks of that stellar year, 1970).

ProgArchives says “As the excellent sound, musicianship and production will attest, it is a superb achievement for the times”.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1100
  • edited January 2021
    "Marks" and "The Mountain Queen" by Alquin.

Alquin were one of Holland's top rock groups of the early 70s and both these albums are amongst the best of any country from that period.

As it happens, these were amongst the last really good albums still available on eMusic in 2019 as labels were deserting in droves.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1333