My momma gave me a song and said
    Son sang Record
    “Thankful and Thoughtful,” be such a nice thang
    People got to be reminded where it’s really at
    Make your daddy happy and momma, your momma like it like that
    You know I know, you know I know
    I’m thankful Thoughtful You know I’m thankful
    Thoughtful Thankful

Today we've got Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Donny Hathaway, Little Dragon, Blood Orange, How to Dress Well, Toro y Moi, the Doors, Winter Hours, Kevin Morby, the Box Tops, Hall & Oates, and Robert Palmer. This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer – iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too – leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• Can we have a best of in 2020? Is that possible in this year? Of course, I never label things as such – I think about it more as stuff I like. In 2020, there was more good music than I thought would be the case. There were few standouts or “classics” that were released in 2020, but there was a surprisingly good number of releases that I enjoyed this year (so much so that I am doing a second one of these).

Anyway, let’s enjoy some good music from 2020, featuring the Beths, Isobel Campbell X, Bob Mould, EOB, Anna Burch, Waxahatchee, Hazel English Christine & the Queens, Jessie Ware, Tame Impala, Paul Weller, Nicole Atkins, Elvis Costello, and Shelby Lynne.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer – iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too – leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• We’re almost there. Just December to get through. Did anyone predict that 2020 would be so long and drawn out? For me, May was the longest month of the year. It was then that we knew that COVID-19 was going to affect us long-term and wouldn’t just go away when the weather got warm. Seemed like there were at least double the number of days in May than usual. Some months have seemed more normal, and for all that happened in November, that hasn’t been as bad time-wise, either. Of course, the country is spiking with cases again, as people started to relax or ignore safety precautions. Let’s keep vigilant until we can all get the vaccine.

To inoculate ourselves while socially distancing, my podcast helps as a distraction for an hour. Tune in this week to tunes by Elvis Costello, Drive By Truckers, XTC, Little Dragon, Rilo Kiley, Lydia Loveless, Neko Case, Pretenders, Squeeze, Graham Parker, Dave Edmunds, the Jam, and Joe Jackson.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer – iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too – leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• 2021 will not suddenly and magically change anything unfortunately.
    As a matter of fact, the first few months will be even more hellish
    than we’ve already experienced. ...and if a legitimized vaccine
    becomes available, there are still logistics of various kinds to
    overcome the first few months. Still, a sad state of affairs needs
    to be dealt with using strength of inner character and mindfulness.
  • edited November 2020
    Interesting though that here in Melbourne, Australia (population circa 5 million) where the politicians of all persuasions plus most of the population have largely stuck together on lockdowns and mask wearing we have now gone 30 days without a new infection and without any deaths. And the total number of current infections is, guess what, zero! So hopefully our 2021 looks more hopeful if rather lonely - we can’t travel overseas!

On a lighter note, @bremble really love the selection of artists in your podcasts!
  • Nor’Easter? We were supposed to get a ton of snow yesterday but ended up with an annoying amount of snow. For those of you who live in climes that do not have snow, let me explain: an annoying amount is enough snow that needs to be shoveled but not enough that it’s worth taking out the snowblower. That’s annoying, and what I’m looking at. So now you know what I’ll be doing in a few minutes (after coffee and bitching a little more about the snow).

Overall, I probably end up shoveling less snow than if I had to use the snowblower (walkways and deck have a good amount of area), but it doesn’t make it any easier. I’m sure that the snow, because it was mixed with rain, will be wet and heavy.

As I shovel, I’ll have music with me, as it makes the work go easier. Today’s podcast has lots of good shoveling choices, with these artists: Squeeze, Crowded House, Paul Kelly, The Action, The Creation, the Smoke, the Who, the Smiths, the Cure, Ultravox, Depeche Mode, Link Wray, Chuck Berry, and Bo Diddley.

• I read a couple of days ago that by 2040 we will rarely get snow in much of England. That's only as far in the future as back to the Millenium. It is getting rarer here anyway, we've not had a decent fall for a few years
  • It’s been a year, hasn’t it? on the one hand, there’s a global pandemic and a loosening of the fabric of Democracy in America; on the other hand…many of us are still alive. Doesn’t seem fair.

That’s it today. Let’s be hopeful for the future – there’s a possible solution to the pandemic on the horizon, but we have to remain vigilant. Mask up, everyone. And listen to music – it helps. On today’s pod we have some familiar names, including The Pretenders, Elvis Costello, Paul McCartney, Badfinger, Bananarama, the Motels, X, Animal Collective, Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse, Garbage, Delaney & Bonnie, Little Feat, and the Allman Brothers.

• It’s Christmas week, but it doesn’t really feel like Christmas. Sure, we got nailed with snow, there is Christmas music everywhere, and some people have gone nuts decorating for Christmas, but for me, the Spirit of Christmas hasn’t come (I don’t think that I’ll be visited by three Christmas spirits – stow it, Jacob Marley). Maybe because we aren’t going to have a big Christmas – everyone will be safe in their own houses. We won’t see friends and family but will watch that we don’t get the pandemic spirit (there’s only one of those, and there is no happy ending).

There is good news – the vaccine is coming, and maybe we’ll have real Christmas next year. Let’s hope for that and try to keep the real Spirit of Christmas alive this year.

To help sate us, instead of Christmas music listen to today’s podcast, filled with lots of spirit, with artists Dionne Farris, Alice Russell, Raphael Saadiq, Ringo Deathstarr, Lush, Ride, Jarvis Cocker, The Beautiful South, Texas, Everything But the Girl, Smokin’ Joe Kubek, James Hunter, Eli Paperboy Reed, and Culture Club.

• Hi, this is the second set of songs I’ve put together that came out in 2020 (first came out on November 25). I don’t usually have a “best of’ list for the year – my likes shift from day-to-day, and I think that there’s recency bias (“I just heard this album, – it’s now number 3 and not number 11”).

However, I love reading year-end best-of lists. I tote up how many of the “best” albums that I have purchased, and whether I think that they’re all that. Every year there are a larger number of albums that I have not heard, and more artists that I have never heard of. Am I getting old?

It’s not just obscure publications, either. In Rolling Stone, Bad Bunny has the third-best album. The only thing I know about that is that it’s the first #1 album that’s all in Spanish – the first non-English speaking album to hit #1. Dua Lipa? City Girls? Nope – don’t know them, and I always thought that I was pretty plugged into the music scene. Those days are long gone. It’s partially because I don’t pay much attention to popular culture, and mostly because I’m old.

That’s ok, because I do listen and get new music, and I’ll share part 2 of the music I purchased and liked in 2020, including Norah Jones, James Hunter, Robert Cray, Lucinda Williams, Jason Isbell, My Morning Jacket, Lydia Loveless, Drive-By-Truckers, Bob Dylan, and the Dream Syndicate.

• edited December 2020
    How was everyone’s Christmas? It was very strange for us – didn’t feel much like Christmas (the rain washing away most of the snow didn’t help. We tried to get Chinese food for Christmas Eve, but the best place in town was way back-ordered. We went to another (disappointing ) Chinese restaurant and was thus unfulfilled.
    We did see the grandson briefly on Christmas Day – brightened everything up. He’s very wonderful – great mood, crawling and pulling himself up – almost walking. Should be soon.
    Tried Zooming with family last night – did not go well. Actually used an app called Houseparty – it’s the easiest app to use and generally works well, but the eldest of the family was having problems that we didn’t resolve. Lots of crosstalk and missed communications. So much for 2020 – we’re waiting out the line until 2021. Most of us are in the last tranche of getting vaccinated- let’s hope the rollout goes quickly, and we have people who know distribution handling getting shipments where they need to go. It’ll definitely be a quiet New Year’s Eve here.
    Still, we have music. On today’s podcast, we have music from Chuck Prophet, the Flat Five, the School, Camer Obscura, the Blend, Robert Plant, the Dream Syndicate, Paul Molloy, Grace Jones, the Tom Tom Club, the B-52’s, the DriveBy Truckers, the Georgia Satellites, and Alejandro Escovedo.
  • edited January 2021

We made it. It’s 2021 and the worst is over (we hope). Sure, the pandemic’s still cresting, we still have our old President (before we get a new old President), too many people still aren’t working, and it’s winter in our hemisphere. Still, not 2020.

I’m going to remain hopeful that 2021 will end up much better than 2020, but everyone has to pitch in to make everything get better. Let’s all resolve to do what it takes to improve everyone’s lives: wear masks, socially distance before we all get vaccinated, and help out where we can. Then let’s get everyone employed again and life can return to normal – heck, better than normal.

The new year starts with a new podcast, littered with old names. So take a step back in time this week with the Rolling Stones, Procol Harum, Deep Purple, the Pretty Things, Traffic, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Dinosaur Jr., Sons & Daughters, Cat Power, Fred Neil, Tim Hardin, Bob Lind, and Donovan.

• edited January 2021
    The pandemic New Year may not be starting until mid-March methinks.
    I hope that most everyone can be convinced to get vaccinated and that the
    ones holding out will be insignificantly small. Until then, yes, wear that mask!
  • Gee, I love slow news weeks, don’t you? It gives one the ability to focus on oneself rather than what is happening in the world at large, and how those things might affect you.

What’s that? No, I haven’t really been paying attention to the news – it’s one of my New Year’s resolutions. I was pretty obsessed with what was happening in politics and in the world. I’m sure that we’re working on the peaceful and orderly transition to the new Presidency, scheduled to take place later this month. And I’m sure that the vaccine rollout has been smooth and that all 20 million vaccines have been put in people's arms.

Let me keep my dream for a moment longer before I open my favorite new site and…

This week we’ll try to keep the world at bay with some fantastic music, including Leonard Cohen, Van Morrison, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Young, Sault, Khruangbin & Leon Bridges, Dengue Fever, Chuck Prophet, Dave Alvin, Los Lobos, John Hiatt, Z.Z. Hill, Little Milton, Soloman Burke, and Joe Tex.

• Another quiet week here. Hunkering down and patiently waiting for the vaccine, which is at least two months away for us. Then we can start feeling a little safer. Need to get to critical mass, which won’t be until summertime at least.

To wait, there’s music. Sharing some with you this week includes artists like the School, Belle & Sebastian, Camera Obscura, the High Llamas, War, Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, Lee Fields, Gale Garnett, the Beach Boys, the Association, the Mamas & the Papas, Joy of Cooking, Laura Nyro, Jackie DeShannon, and Dusty Springfield.

• “A candy-colored clown they call the sandman.” My favorite scene from Blue Velvet is when Dean Stockwell lip-syncs Roy Orbison’s “In Dreams.” In today’s podcast, I am trying to capture that style in this dream-laden song cycle.

Listen up and don’t snooze while listening to Roy Orbison, Little Feat, Chris Isaak, Otis Redding, Dave & Phil Alvin, the Reverend Horton Heat, Samantha Fish, Lonnie Brooks, Bobby Darin, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Raphael Saadiq, That Petrol emotion, Bram Tchaikovsky, Hall & Oates, and Blondie.

• The word genius is thrown around pretty easily these days, but I get to prove that I’m a genius on a daily basis. I play a game in the New York Times called Spelling Bee, where you make words out of the seven letters they give you and you have to make words with them. As you score points you move up in category (why is “Nice” better than “Solid”?) until you reach the pinnacle, “Genius.” I get to genius on a daily basis. Some days I have to put down the puzzle and come back to it to find easy words that I have forgotten to use. There are some real words that the Times doesn’t recognize (a linnet is a small bird, for example of a word that the Times decided wasn’t a word), but it’s a good exercise for me.

As we get older, we are told that doing some form of brain exercise is important (and not just the “where did I put my glasses?” puzzle that is the norm). Doing the Mini-Crossword, Letter-Boxed, Spelling Bee, Tiles and Sudoku are what I do. Keeps the mind sharp (-ish).

If only I could parlay the Spelling Bee genius into the rest of my life…

This week’s podcast has a bunch of tunes from very recognizable bands, even if it’s more of a “deep cuts” selection of songs. Listen to Paul McCartney, the Beatles, Supertramp, the Electric Light Orchestra, Van Morrison, the Monkees, the Turtles, R.E.M, Guadacanal Diary, Game Theory, the Posies, the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, and Joe Cocker.

• A real snowstorm tomorrow night? Is it supposed to be winter around here? We finally had a cold snap this week – the first of the season. Maybe we’re just having a late winter this year.

We’ve had years of huge snowfalls in March – maybe 2021 will be that way. Or maybe we’ll only get a couple of snowstorms. I’m ready for anything with my new snowblower. Let it snow.

Today’s podcast starts out in a country or folk vein before turning soulful and ends in New Orleans (there’s a place to be right now). So let’s listen to Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Billy Bragg & Wilco, the Pogues, the Mavericks, Dwight Yoakam, kd lang, Suzanne Vega, Marvin Gaye, the 4 Tops, the Impressions, Billy Butler, Sam Cooke, Dr. John, Irma Thomas, and Johnny Adams.

• Another week like many others in pandemic times. Picked up a meal at a restaurant, tipped generously, but mostly stayed home without getting a lot accomplished. Thankfully for me, there’s work so I can stay busy during the day. Otherwise being stuck at home with nothing to do would send me crazy (like my wife. Retired with nothing to do).

How is everyone coping? We’ll be at a year of staying in soon. We’re waiting patiently for our group to be called to sign up for vaccines, and until then, it’s more stay at home. Be safe, everybody.

One of my hobbies is listening to music, and sharing with friends. On this week’s podcast, I’m sharing music from artists Teenage Fanclub, Lush, Catherine Wheel, My Bloody Valentine, Bobby Bland, Fenton Robinson, Magic Slim, the Black Keys, Fleetwood Mac, Rilo Kiley, Neko Case, Montage, the Merry-Go-Round, the Zombies, and the Creation.

• My staying home over 90% of the time began after I got back from the Big Ears Festival in March of 2019. With the house remodel and living in cramped quarters until Xmas 2019 ... and then getting Bell's Palsy in January, 2020, then the current pandemic around March, 2020, it's been a pretty secure lockdown around here for quite a while.

... but, I'm getting loads of stuff done from new art/music projects to a bunch of reading (Goodreads says that I read nearly 25,000 pages last year - and that doesn't count magazine subs and various academic papers). Also: teaching myself coding to beta test some music generative software; gone back to Duolingo and Rosetta Stone to continue my language learning; and spent time since just before Xmas updating, sifting and consolidating my iTunes tracks. One thing that I have had to leave on the side are the many things that were going to be sold on eBay and/or Discogs starting in 2020. I think I may go back to Discogs next month and start listing in secret (listing until later when they're released to the general public). During "free" time, I leave my JQBX room ("🅡ɐȵ⒟ȭᵯ Ȑǡȡȋ𝕺") and join another room with folks playing tunes and chat some (or I'm here seeing what's up). Clean house once a week, grocery delivery twice a month and Finnegans Wake reading group (Zoom) once a month - probably more stuff that I'm not thinking of now - so, yes! keeping busy and coping pretty well!
  • Happy Valentine’s Day. Wasn’t really started by Hallmark, although they’ve co-opted the day very well, thank you. 2021 is not exactly the most romantic of times, but then, was the Third Century that romantic? As with most saints, he was arrested and no doubt tortured brutally (the stories of the Saints is filled with torture and brutality – one doesn’t become a Saint by breezing through life). Valentine supposedly restored eyesight to his jailer’s daughter. So he was capable not only of miracles but of mercy. Miracles, mercy, martyrdom, and torture lead to Sainthood.

Now we exchange chocolate and cards – pretty much the same as back when Valentine was around. If only he had the foresight to capture the greeting card market – not that there were many readers back then. Chocolate was another luxury that most of the populace had no knowledge of (no one did in Europe back then- apparently that was the 16th Century).

So to torture the ones you love (the True Meaning of St. Valentine’s Day?), why not add this podcast filled with songs not of love but of loss and cynicism, with these artists: Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake, Van Morrison, Lydia Loveless, the Seratones, Shannon Shaw, Coco Hames, Tom Waits, Joni Mitchell, Jane Siberry, Secret Machines, Dangermouse, and Beck.

• I saw a tweet yesterday that said “Am I depressed or is laying in bed f*ing awesome?” We’ve got the Pandemic blues, and one way to celebrate is to listen to the blues. I’ve put together an hour’s worth of blues music from the last 5 years. The blues is alive and well, so listen to the contemporary blues sounds of Savoy Brown, Jimmie Vaughan, Coco Montoya, the Cash Box Kings, Christone Kingfish Ingram, Otis Taylor, Robert Cray, Marcia Ball, Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters, Samantha Fish, Shemekia Copeland, and Li’l Ed & the Blues Imperials.

• How’s everyone doing? Hope all’s still well out there. New strains of the virus, vaccinations on the upswing, weather doing weather things out there. We’re having a normal winter – if anything snow’s been a little light overall.

We’re still hunkered down. Kate’s starting to go stir crazy, but if anything is even more cautious than most, so no maskless parties for her. We’ll do our best to stay safe until everyone gets vaccinated.

Some familiar names and tunes on today’s podcast, with The Who, Prince, the Sensible Grey Cells, Concrete Blonde, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd, Family, Genya Raven, James Brown, the Brothers Johnson, Animotion, the Human League, and Depeche Mode.

• Today marks the end of another month. On Monday it’s March 1. And what is happening in March? Why, it’s anniversary time. It’ll be a year since the pandemic hit and kept us cooped up at home. The first-year anniversary present is paper. I know what paper I want - one that has a date for my vaccination shot. There’s a slim possibility that it could happen by month’s end, but I think that it will slip to April. Maybe if I can even make the appointment in March it’ll ease the tensions. I know that overall things won’t change drastically (masks, social distancing, etc.), but we’ll be closer to the end of this. I am optimistic.

Let’s celebrate the anniversary with music. On today’s podcast, we have music from Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Nicole Atkins, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Yumi Zoumi, Boz Skaggs, Phoebe Snow, Joan Armatrading, Richie Havens, Rachel Sweet, Jona Lewie, Lene Lovich, Blondie, Gorillaz, the Go! Team, and St. Etienne.

You can go to brennick.net to stream or download, or download the podcast brennick.net. Thank you for tuning in.

• I got my 1st shot at Gillette Stadium last Monday.  After I get shot #2, perhaps I'll feel comfortable taking a quick trip to a record store??  Concerts will still need to wait.   Take care and stay safe.  Thanks for another interesting mix.
  • It’s one of those rare times when being young(er) and healthier is a disadvantage.
  • March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. I don’t know how I know this – it’s just one of those expressions that I heard when I was young and has stuck with me. This March has certainly been lion-like, if lions are very, very cold.

But are lions cold? Don’t they live on the Serengeti plain? Surprisingly, the temperatures are very pleasant in the Serengeti, with lows around 60 and highs under 80 degrees – all year round. So lions probably don’t get too cold. Really, maybe we shouldn’t use lions for the expression.

My conclusion, therefore, is that March should come in like a cold beast – say a polar bear. From now on we should say that March comes in like a polar bear and leaves like a lamb (it can still be a lamb, although we lose the alliteration). How about that?

I’m not sure that the music in today’s music is lionic – seems more lamb-like, especially the first set. Today’s artists include Moses Sumney, Joey Dosik, Norah Jones, the Band, Paul McCartney, XTC, the Charlatans UK, Paul Weller, Joe Jackson, Errol Linton, the Electric Flag, and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

You can go to brennick.net to stream or download, or download the podcast brennick.net. Thank you for tuning in.

• @bremble on your March topic, how about a podcast featuring "Bear" bands e.g like the ones I have "Minus The Bear", "Art Bears", "Bear In Heaven", "Bear Quartet", "Bear The Mammoth", "Bear's Den", "Boy And Bear", "Grizzly Bear" and Panda Bear" et al. Only joking!

Meanwhile downunder, whilst we're essentially Covid free, we're having an unusually ordinary summer.
  • edited March 2021
    ^^ Bearthoven . . .  Volcano the Bear . . . Mysterybear aka: @DaveSeidel . . . :)
  • Could it actually be spring? The equinox is a week off, and yet it was really warm this week, getting to the high 60’s on Thursday. Can’t really rely on forecasts, but it’s supposed to be warm by mid-week next week (this is in New England – ymmv).

Overall the winter was pretty mild – not much snow and we didn’t get an extended period of cold days. This usually means that March sneaks up and dumps a bunch of snow and remains windy and cold. And sure, we’ve had some really windy days, but overall it’s hard to complain.

Time to enjoy this spring-like weather with a bunch of great tunes on today’s podcast, with the Beatles, the Who, Van Morrison, the Pretty Things, the Action, Django Django, TV on the Radio, the Knife, the Lazy Lies, the Cure, Kevin Coyne, Bob Dylan, John Prine, and Bruce Cockburn.