emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• Cross-posting from daily thread.
  • edited March 2021
    "Recordings made available under the Music Modernization Act.  A reasonable search has been conducted to determine that these items are not commercially available."
    OK, the vast majority of these, absolutely. Others, like Neil Young's "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere," I think you might still be able to pick up a copy somewhere...

• edited March 2021
    "Recordings made available under the Music Modernization Act.  A reasonable search has been conducted to determine that these items are not commercially available."
    This is really fascinating (at least for me), because it's just like rummaging through my (late) father's record collection back in the mid-60s. He'd just bought his first component stereo rig (they always called it "hi-fi" back then), and he had these two gigantic mismatched cabinet speakers set up in the living room. People would often buy records based on how much stereo separation was in the recording, just like some people did with DVDs when they first bought surround-sound systems. And if you had a big (non-console) component system back then, you had to own at least two or three "stereo test records" for when people came over to visit, which you would turn up really loud so they could hear the sound of a locomotive or a race car moving from one speaker to the other and say "wow, that's real neatsy-keen!" or "that baby's really souped up!" like it was some sort of technological miracle, which I guess it was, in a way. (I was only around 5 years old at the time, so this was all several years before I even gained access to the nuclear codes.)
    My dad liked Big Bands and Dixieland Jazz mostly, occasionally some contemporary classical, "brass bands," movie soundtracks, etc., and I'd estimate that as much as 70 percent of his record collection (including two of his stereo test records) is right there on this archive.org "Unlocked Recordings" site. Most of them wound up in the attic where they got totally warped and were later disposed of, but I still have the "Realistic Sound Effects!" record he bought, which is also there, and maybe one or two others.
    All these recordings appear to be direct from vinyl with no scratch/pop or other filters applied, but if you're like me, that just adds to the nostalgia value. So, thanks for posting that, Doofy! You made my day!
  • My favorite thing was to play the ping pong records
    REALLY LOUD
    thru the downstairs Jensens just to drive people insane.
  • edited March 2021
    Here's a good example:

It's basically just a typical pleasant collection of pop tunes from 1962, played by a reasonably popular recording artist who had already made at least a dozen albums. But since so many people were starting to buy big hi-fi systems at the time, they must have figured they could boost sales by making an "audiophile" record, like an early-60s version of Steven Wilson 5.1 blu-ray remix-mania.
    So they brought in Phil Ramone to be the engineer, and he set up a bunch of mics with two 12-channel mixers running in tandem with (I'm guessing) a pair of synched-up Ampex 300-3 (3-track) recorders, and just panned everything in the mix either to the right or the left — nothing in the center at all. Then they did pan-sweeps on various instruments (overdubs?), probably during mix-down, just to keep things extra-fun. And they documented everything, too — the liner notes make it sound like they're gunning for the Nobel Prize in Recording Technology.
    I'm pretty sure my Dad owned this album, but it was a long time ago, so I could easily be wrong about that.
  • I can just imagine listening to "The Stripper" in icosikaihenaphonic sound!!!
  • edited March 2021
    rostasi said:
    I can just imagine listening to "The Stripper" in icosikaihenaphonic sound!!!
    No results found for icosikaihenaphonic
    Icosi . . .  what ??? ;)

• 21-channel stripperama!
  • edited March 2021
    rostasi said:
    21-channel stripperama!
    ^^ Oh ! . . . that one . . . :) - makes perfect sense ;)
  • New music sampler + beer brand over at Astral Spirits. The sampler is NYOP but not the beer, probably just as well...

• Found  this in the Unlocked Recordings section of the Internet Archive, my number 1 film which I have been so many times, never knew this existed.
  • edited April 2021
    It is the 20th anniversary of a compilation jointly issued by 12k and LINE. The LINE portion is now available free/NYOP.
  • edited May 2021
    New, nice, and NYOP live 'country ambient' set (Does Sheffield count as country?)
  • ...TXT Recordings just released Tensegrity - Vol.3, check it out here.

Here’s what they say about it:
    “Now that lockdown has eased here in the UK and we can finally go into the pub for a pint, here is the final instalment of the Tensegrity series.

Available as a "Free / Name-Your-Price" digital download in 24/96 HD Audio as a big Thank-You for your support over this last difficult year. This compilation encapsulates the heavier side of ...TXT and features tracks from -

Ithaki (Andrea Bellucci - ILUITEQ) , Motionfield, Dimitar Dodovski, Orghanon (Sergio Calzoni - ILUITEQ), Specta Ciera & Miruvor, Audio Cephlon, Mick Chillage, Stimulus Timbre (Keith Farrugia - Sound Synthesis) and Joel Tammik.
  • I'm not really an Ambient fan/aficionado (or even close to being one), but this record just showed up on Bandcamp as a NYOP, and after listening to the whole thing I thought it might be worth mentioning — it's mostly guitar-based atmospheric-type stuff, more pleasant than dirgey:

There's an earlier release there too, also NYOP. (I might give that one a listen tomorrow.)
  • edited September 2021
    Mind Over Midi, who does a mixture of field recordings/drone and some ambient techno-ish stuff, has a fair number of Free/NYOP albums on bandcamp. No email required.
    For instance:
    And more.
  • Happened upon "SIDERAL" by Os Dentes on a label that doesn't otherwise have a lot of bargains.  I really like the sunny, upbeat, psychedelic alt. rock sound they have and was surprised to find their whole album free, while the single off of it costs $1. I would happily have paid for this album and feel obliged to share and pay for the single. Another great one for 99 cents is "Costa do Marfim" by Cachorro Grande on eMusic: https://www.emusic.com/album/158367654/Cachorro-Grande/Costa-do-Marfim
  • edited December 2021
    Amplifier's 2018 album "Intro" available for free download with over 70 minutes of their best tracks.

https://www.rockosmos.com/intro

ProgArchives says "Their music is highly original. They combine deep personal lyrics with walls of noise, combined with stunning melodies.......and even Q magazine said that 'at present British rock doesn't get much better than this'.....this is highly original space rock. They mix a lot of different genres......and combine them perfectly"

AMPLIFIER Intro reviews
  • bremble said:
    Note that this is the 1981 release Art 'n' Zoot originally released on Pablo. 
  • Greetings,
    First Word Records just released Two Syllables Volume Eighteen, check it out here.

“Merry Christmas from everyone at First Word Records!

Two Syllables is our annual free compilation: 13 tracks of soulful goodness for your listening pleasure.

All label proceeds (should you choose to pay) will be donated to The Trussell Trust.
  • Thanks Germanprof awaiting release to my Bandcamp checkout
  • Just starting a reverse alphabetical cross-check of my library w/ what's on Bandcamp and found the fine Basque post-rock band Yakuzi has its nice "

Ibai lehorretan itota

" album & s/t EP as free downloads. I'm skeptical of the demos, but two other albums also look promising (but are only streamable, unfortunately).  https://yakuzi.bandcamp.com/music  
  • @omnifoo thanks for the tip re Yakuzi.
  • december has been a very busy month for us. after the highly successful musical advent calendar (thanks again to everyone who has downloaded the releases and donated even the smallest amount, any support is more than welcome!) and the launch of our very last 3"cd-r releases (see details below), here comes the sixth edition in our downloadable pay-what-you-want compilation series. "homework - year 6" gathers 61 artists for many hours of aural delight.

here's the complete list of the contributing artists (in alphabetical order):
    .cut - 2kilos &more - alan jones - artificial memory trace - bardoseneticcube - bartosz dziadosz - benjamin fleury-steiner - celer - cinema perdu - compest - cría cuervos - désaccord majeur - edward ruchalski - ein träumendes pferd - ellende - emerge - enrico coniglio - exportion - fabio orsi - flavien gillié - fredrik mathias josefson - goose - gregory kramer - hirotaka shirotsubaki - hum - ieva aka samuel andré - internal fusion - james p. keeler - jérémie mathes - john grzinich - jon unger - julien demoulin & ia - liquid sphere + bruno verneret - mathieu ruhlmann - maurizio bianchi - michael northam - michiru aoyama - modelbau - moljebka pvlse - murmer - nigel samways - nimh (giuseppe verticchio) - peter james - philippe lamy - pholde - pierre juillard - ply - pollypraha - ryosuke miyata - takashi seki - strom noir - summons of shining ruins - tainnos - tarkatak - terje paulsen - tomasz mreńca - tone color - tzesne - unken reflex - yannick franck - yiorgis sakellariou
    available as pay-what-you-want from our bandcamp page
  • Peter Rehberg aka Pita

Mesmer  archive.org                                              Get Out  archive.org

Mika VainioPita & Charlemagne Palestine            Rehberg & Bauer
    Three Compositions For Machines  archive.org     Faßt  archive.org

ballt.  archive.org                                                  Piece For Amplify2020 Quarantine Parts I & II  
                                                                                 Bandcamp Free
  • kargatron said:
    Thanks for the heads up, I probably wouldn't have come across this until I got around to Fenn O'Berg again.
  • edited January 2022
    The Hive Mind Tunis Tape Mix by Hive Mind Records

• Greetings,
    Chris Schlarb and Alex Sadnik just released Viva Durant and the Madness of Madame Bouchard OST, check it out here.

“Hey everyone! Alex Sadnik and I are releasing an album of new instrumental music today. It was original recorded for the best selling Viva Durant series by Ashli St. Armant and released by Audible.com. Somehow no one at Audible asked us to change it!

Alex and I wanted to give the soundtrack away as a FREE download. Don't just this score by the book cover. It's loose, funky, and wonderful stuff. Closer to '70's TV theme songs and Vince Guaraldi's music for Peanuts than anything resembling background music. Take a listen and let me know what you think!

Love,
    Chris”