I started a podcast

Comments

• Good news (for Kate and me) - we have our vaccination scheduled for Tuesday. New Hampshire is starting to let the kids get vaccinated (well, kids = 50-64 year-olds) beginning on Monday, and we managed to get on the schedule early. I thought that it would take months, but persistence (over an hour on hold) paid off and we're getting vaccinated.

We're getting vaccinated three miles from our house - the local bus station has been changed over into a large clinic where they're being dispensed. Not sure which vaccine we're getting - heard that some have had the Johnson & Johnson one shot, but I think that it's mostly been the Moderna vaccine, made less than ten miles from my house. There was a lady the other day who said that she had the Pzifer vaccine - she was in one of the elderly properties where I volunteered to help at a vaccination clinic (with Moderna). I might have been vaccinated there had I not gotten an appointment that was more local.

Let's celebrate with a podcast that includes some whimsy, with these artists: Flight of the Conchords, the B-52's, the Incredible String Band, the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Cream, Joan Armatrading, Los Lobos, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, the Replacements, Sugar, R.E.M., Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, and the O'Jays.

You can go to brennick.net to stream or download, or download the podcast brennick.net. Thank you for tuning in.

• edited March 2021
    Congrats on that! Got our first shots on Thursday. We signed up online with the city months ago with the hope that when they got around to our age group we'd be near the top. We suspected it would be a long time, but after they announced 50+ for us last Monday, I got an email on Wednesday saying we could book a spot, so Thursday, it was.

Moderna, and a month before the next one. Gonna set aside that day or two to expect to do nothing but read and, possibly, sleep. After first shot, very mild tiredness, but I did experience slight tension around my right knee and, the next day, it moved to my ankle, then the right side of my right foot (???). Can't explain, but everything's just fine now. I'm figuring that slight discomfort just tells me that it's doing its proper mojo.
  • djhdjh
    edited March 2021
    Glad you guys are getting your shots. Had my first last week, the AstraZenica. Was feeling ok the next day when called on to do a bit of heavy lifting at work. Next thing I know I'm full of flu type aching bones, tiredness and worst of all dizziness close to fainting. Wouldn't wish that on anyone, mind I left work and managed to get home by walk and train o.k. so no harm done. 6 weeks before the next shot.

• Got the first Pfizer almost 2 weeks ago - felt tired and a little headachey for a day after but nothing major. Second does comes after 3 weeks. Looking forward to being able to hang out with our kids more easily.
  • #2 tomorrow @ Gillette Stadium south of Boston.  I'll be record shopping again in a few weeks!!
  • Well, I'm glad to hear the distribution is working out for some. We finally got an appointment last Monday slated for April 27th for which we would have to drive to another smaller town to get. We received a message on Friday that our appointment had to be postponed as they had run short of vaccine. 20 years I've been using the same pharmacy in our local grocery store and for some reason I need to drive to St. Albert to get a shot (from the same chain of stores).
    Appears we're doomed to get one of those cell phones. It seems they're required to do most everything now. :'(
  • edited March 2021
    I had mine about 5 weeks ago, Astra Zenica, with the second in about 6 weeks time. The day after I was absolutely slain, I could hardly get up, but the following day I was fine. Amazingly in the UK about 4% of the adult population were vaccinated on either Friday or Saturday this week, around 1.5 million people. 
  • Is that the norm for AstraZeneca - 6 week wait between shots?
    Or, is that a UK stipulation?

(we've taken over bremble's topic - maybe we should create one on vaccines/COVID)
  • I'm guessing that it's a UK thing - in New Hamshire the wait between shots was at least 6 weeks before the governor decided that maybe he should get back to the recommended wait times. I worked as a volunteer last week and they were told that it would be 4 weeks before the next shot. I'll see how I do tomorrow. 

Don't worry about taking over the topic - it's fine being here.
  • edited March 2021
    Funnily enough down here in Australia because we have had less than 50 new cases in the last 2 or 3 months there doesn't seem to be the same sense of urgency.
  • Tuesday, 1:00-1:10. First shot. Come on over to the bus station to get vaccinated...or words to that effect. Kate and I went over at 12:50, figuring this would be a breeze. There was some backup, but it wasn't bad. We waited in line in our car, slowly moving around the perimeter of the parking lot. Some cars were taken out of line to park in the middle of the lot, while others stayed in line. We stayed in line. "First or second" was the main question at first. I'm not sure that we ever actually showed our confirmation - we were on their list. "Pfizer today" answered our question, "unless you're getting the second Moderna shot." You get what they have., and they had Pfizer that day. The cars who were separated were the Moderna second-shot people. They'd get a turn in the shot line after a bit. Everything ran smoothly.

We rolled up to the station and someone came out and gave us our shot in the car. It was quick and painless. I had no after-affects of the shot, and Kate had a headache, but not that bad. Our second shot is April 20 (4 weeks). Hopefully, it will be as smooth as the first one.

Two days later, there was a huge backup at the bus station (now clinic), as people were coming in with "plus-one's." Didn't realize that it was a thing, and they certainly weren't ready for it. I'm not sure if the system overbooked people, but I guess that it was a mess (three-hour wait times). It seemed to die down on Friday again, but we'll keep checking to see if things operate smoothly.

Music while waiting? Of course. I told you that we were in our car. Listen to some of what we listened to that day on today's podcast, which features these artists: Moby Grape, Robyn Hitchcock, Tami Neilson, Dusty Springfield, Bobbie Gentry, Drugdealer, Game Theory, Michael Penn, Hollie Cook, Asa, Amy Winehouse, Raphael Saadiq with Joss Stone, Kevin Morby, Angel Olsen, and Villagers.

You can go to brennick.net to stream or download, or download the podcast brennick.net. Thank you for tuning in.

• Happy Pascha. It was originally a variant of Passover used by the Jewish people but early Christians claimed it for what we know as "Easter." Passover is now Pesach in Hebrew, which ends at nightfall today.

Why Easter? The was a goddess named Eostre (or Ostara), who had celebrations named for her. She is either (or both) the goddess of fertility or the goddess of light (Springtime, when there was more daylight). The period of time when she was celebrated was called the month of Eostre, so Happy Easter.

And how did that come to pass? Well, as Catholicism spread across the continent of Europe, Bishops were told to find ways to get people into Catholicism, and one sent to England decided that the way to convert these heathens was to say that the Catholic holidays (Jesus' birth and his resurrection) fell around the exact same times as certain pagan rituals. Apparently, it worked and ended up getting adopted by Catholicism (and then its offshoots), for the most part. So the English adopted Easter as the day Christ is risen, while most of the rest of Christendom says Pascha. Also explains the eggs (fertility). Still unsure of the bunnies, also an English thing, and not worldwide (bells deliver Easter eggs in France).

On today's podcast, we have a lot of music both old and new, with Lana Del Ray, Florence + the Machine, Tribe, Valerie June, Lake Street Dive, Khurangbin & Leon Bridges, Jon Cleary, Johnny Adams, Albert Collins with Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland, Miracle Legion, the Connells, and Syd Straw.

• My neighbor has brought out their “He Is Risen” sign to the front yard.
    Can someone explain why this grammatically incorrect phrase is used?
    Yes, I know the “story”, but I can’t seem to get over the added grammatical 
    weirdness as well.
  • The King James' version uses he is risen in Matthew 28:5-6. It's generally updated to he has risen (as my grammar corrector is trying to make me do). Don't know if it was correct English back in the day, or if they thought that "he is risen" was the correct translation. The King James Version is one of the first translations into English (more people can read what's in the Bible without having to learn Greek) and was completed in 1611.
  • edited April 2021
    Combination of (1) archaic usage (compare ‘I am become’), (2) theological point (present status, not past event) and (3) “risen” functioning as adjective not verb (compare “the goose is cooked” and “the risen Lord”) to express 2. Not really weird.
  • Going back to vaccines, in the UK the gap is typically 12 weeks, to enable more to get their first dose. I get my second one three weeks today, already booked. Because the UK and USA are amongst the countries with the highest percentage vaccinated we are considering that our next big overseas trip should be North America, but not until 2022 at the earliest.

Going to rostasi's post, I see nothing wrong with He is Risen, I'm agreeing with GP here. It may be a touch archaic, but is, in my view,  a quite correct useage.
  • edited April 2021
    I find that there should be a greater interest in getting as many first-timers vaccinated as possible right now. If you do the math, there’s clearly an advantage.

As for “risen,” I suppose that it makes sense that there’s a continuous hanging on to early modern English ways of expression when it comes to liturgical, sacred or magical texts. Many cultures preserve archaic things in holy writing, myths and fantasy and so I suppose this is to be expected. “Be” was often used to form the past perfect for intransitive verbs way back when. It just looks and sounds unusual in today’s world - which, I think, is the intention.
  • @greg or come to Australia. Slow on the vaccines but Melbourne has now gone 42 days without a single Covid case!
  • Well, we got our second shot on Thursday. Unlike the first shot, there was no line when we showed up for our appointment. Good thing we got it on Thursday, as I was down for the count on Friday. Had a little bit of an elevated temperature, but it felt like my body was hit with a ton of bricks. Man, was I sore. Still, overall I’ll take a day of soreness over getting the ‘Rona.

So now we have two in the books, and after two weeks we’ll be fully vested. Someone asked what we should call it when someone is fully vaccinated and two weeks beyond the second shot (when we’re as safe as we’re going to be), and she said “fully vested” but thought there might be a better term, but I think that a bunch of us prefer the term “fully vested.”

My wife, except for her arm, had no ill effects. Good for her. Now to wait two weeks, when we’ll…wear masks everywhere and continue to follow guidelines.

To celebrate the 2nd shot, I’ve got lots of great music lined up for today, with The B-52’s, Talking Heads, Gang of Four, Wire, Richard & Linda Thompson, Neil Young, Emmylou Harris, Ryley Walker, Angel Olsen, Cat Power, Kiki Dee, Stevie Wonder, and Marvin Gaye.

Please go to brennick.net to stream or download, or download the podcast brennick.net. Thank you for tuning in.

• Same here. Thursday at 11AM. Maximum arm muscle pain 12 hours later,
    but I was going to bed anyway, so no prob. It's that second day that gets you!
    Temps slightly high (99.9 - 100.3), but felt weaker than usual. I'd already planned
    by making up some soup and light food the days before, so it was just down to
    spending time on the couch - not really much pain tho, so that was good - just tired.
    Hardly noticed anything on Saturday and today I feel like my usual self!
    Yup, there's the indeterminate time following, but you have the good feeling
    that you've done your part for yourself and your fellow humans. Now it's just
    following the numbers, at least nationally (while masking and distancing),
    and making proper decisions along the way as the months go by.
    Really don't see myself going on anything long-distance until around Halloween.
  • Last few days I've had pain in my shoulder where I got the 1st Oxford jab - and that is 2 weeks after the fact...
  • Well, we got a phone call yesterday to see if we could come in earlier to get our shot before we were scheduled on the 27th. We both got our first Moderna shot this morning with no side effects so far. No idea when we'll get our second shot but this is a great first step.
  • Typically 28 days after your first Moderna should be your 2nd.
    So, that would be Tuesday, the 18th of May.
  • First shot last week - finally. We did a great job controlling Covid in Australia (still under 30,000 cases and less than 1,000 deaths grand total since it started) but useless on immunisation with only 6% of population done.
  • edited April 2021
    Alberta will follow the lead of other Canadian provinces and delay second-dose appointments for the COVID-19 vaccine up to four months after first doses are administered.

Vaccinations in most of the US seem to be better organized than here but at least 25% of Canadians have had their first shot. Like some others I have a sore shoulder but that might be from relocating some shrubs and plants in the garden yesterday.

also - My wife has no soreness at all so far.

• Quick one today. We’re headed down to see the grandson. He’s sixteen months old and a pure delight. We’ll have a great time.

We’re all over the place with this week’s podcast, so listen in to hear Dusty Trails, Stereolab, the Cardigans, Belle & Sebastian, the Moon, the Beach Boys, the Monkees, Nancy Sinatra, the Association, Lucinda Williams, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Neil Young, the Band, the Byrds, the Mamas &the Papas, the Youngbloods, and Jefferson Airplane.

Please go to brennick.net to stream or download, or download the podcast brennick.net. Thank you for tuning in.

• I had my second Oxford AZ on Friday, twelve weeks adter the first, following the UK pattern of trying to get as many people as posssible with one shot. No side effects other than an aching arm where it went in. Two weeks time I'm fully covered.

Some great music this week, Bremble, thanks
  • I have a book that purports to have “The 100 Best Rock ‘n’ Roll Records of All Time” by Jimmy Guterman. Not sure that I agree with him on all of his choices, but he makes compelling arguments for them. Most are among the best of all time, so there’s something to the list.

And while I can’t say that it is the best album of all time, Rod Stewart’s “Every Picture Tells a Story” comes in at #1. It’s certainly great, and I’ve played it these last 50 years. Yes, 1971 was 50 years ago, and I’ve had the album since it was out. Rod has originals (like “Maggie May” and the title song), judicious covers (Dylan, Motown) all perfectly sequenced.

In looking at the music of 1971, it seems to me that it’s the last gasp for that particular type of music. AM radio still played singles from albums, but albums were becoming more of their own form than just a bunch of songs thrown together. All styles were played on the radio, so rock, soul, and country could all be played back to back without it seeming to be too weird.

The result was another great year for music. Today’s podcast focuses on the music I most think about when 1971 is brought up. There was so much great music that I will have other playlists put together – soul and 45’s also planned for the look back at 50 years. After 1971, music as we know it changes – sometimes for good, and sometimes for not so good.

But let’s start with this slam-bang lineup: Rod Stewart, the Who, Carole King, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, Santana, Nilsson, the Doors, Todd Rundgren, Grin, Alice Cooper, T. Rex, and David Bowie.

• Many thanks Bremble, it was a great year for music, and I am still playing some of those albums now - not the original LPs, but CDs and downloads. I was a student back then, with greater spending power than I had had upto that stage, my musical interests were wide, as you could hear and listen to all these styles together. It probably explains why I'm happy listening to a range of genre today, rather than being pigeon-holed into one or two genre, like many younger than me listeners
  • Don’t have much for today. Auto-correct is anticipating what I want to say pretty well this morning, so I’m definitely in cliche land. Hope all’s well with everyone, and that May will be a great month. Fully vaxed and two weeks out and we’re feeling much better about things. 

Today’s podcast is another one thrown together without much to tie the sets together – shows my mind at the moment, first quiet, then a bit louder. So please enjoy Holly Golightly, the Ettes, the Liminanas, April March, Norah Jones, Valerie June, Melody Gardot, the Golden Palominos, Roland Orzabal, Garland Jeffrey’s, the Power Station, Cosby, Stills &Nash, the City, Bonnie Raitt, and Jude Sill.