What are you listening to right now? (Twenty Million Things [We'd Like to Do when COVID is over])

1454647484951»

Comments

• Can't better that one peterfredrics!

In Time The Best Of REM 1988-2003
  • 21st Century Schizoid Thread
  • The Undertaker's Picnic: Armenian Kef Music in Fresno, ca. 1940s​-​50s

• I suspect we have a winner already. I'll get to it soon. (And maybe hold off a day or three for others to find the prompt).
  • Doofy said:

Well I had to really - not heard in a long time.

• edited July 2021
    followed sometime later by

• "Naturally" by Sharon Jones And The Dap-Kings

AMG says "Few artists took longer to reach stardom, and gained as much critical acclaim once they found their audience, than R&B vocalist Sharon Jones. Born in 1956, Jones had been singing in clubs since the early '70s without much success until she was recognized by a producer who paired her with her band the Dap-Kings in the late '90s. Once she finally broke through, Jones became celebrated for her strong, emotive voice and phrasing that was powerful without showboating. At her best, Jones could evoke the sound of classic soul and R&B of the '60s and '70s while summoning an energy and confidence that made her performances feel fresh and contemporary."

• Thanks Dave, absolute cracker of an album.

• A very recent discovery for me, apparently a duo that played in early chill out lounges etc. This is from 1984 and has floaty Eno bits and off beat dance melodies like the drunken waltz section I'm listening to right now. See the 1988 tape Boondocks for more ambient type material.

• "Fado" by Bastarda.

For those, like me, brought up on Amália Rodriguez and who therefore love Fado music. Bastarda is a Polish band fronted by the excellent Portuguese vocalist Jaõa de Sousa.

• A couple years old, but new to me. However much she pushes the boundaries, Amirtha Kidambi's vocals are always musical
  • "Music Of Another Era" 1972 Jazz Fusion album by Oregon.

AMG says "Music of Another Present Era remains Oregon's most enduring masterwork. Achieving a perfect balance of musical traditions from the East and West, ancient to future, they set the stage not only for a new transculturalism in jazz, but also created a lasting template for the fusion of musics from world traditions that would flower over a decade later........Music of Another Present Era is one of the most poetic and groundbreaking records to be released in the 1970s."

• On another board, we were talking about that Oregon album a couple of weeks ago because there’s a never before released live album from 1974 that will be released in about two weeks.
  • Back and still reliving my youth. Hopefully I'll get to the Ks before the new thread changes.(great choice btw)
    J.J. Cale

1971                        Naturally                              1972                      Really

1974                           Okie                                 1976                   Troubadour
  • Why is the letter “ k” relevant in this case ?
  • Well, I'm still working my way through the letter J and hope to get to King Crimson before 21st Century Schizoid Thread ends. :)  
  • edited July 2021
    New tribute to pianist Frank Kimbrough, who died late last year. Top NY talent working their way through 61 of Frank's tunes...5+ hours of music! Proceeds to a Julliard scholarship in his name

eta This Organissimo thread has all the track personnel info: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/86632-kimbrough/

This discussion has been closed.