What are you listening to (B)right(er)now? (22 Weight Lifting Lulus)

Comments

• Rain Falls in Grey Redux by Radio Massacre International Album Berlin  School Reviews Ratings Credits Song list - Rate Your Music

Six and a half hours...streaming at bandcamp
  • Plong42 said:
    Rain Falls in Grey Redux by Radio Massacre International Album Berlin  School Reviews Ratings Credits Song list - Rate Your Music

Six and a half hours...streaming at bandcamp

Thanks. I do like a bit of RMI

• Though too often hailed as revolutionary back in 1952 for not including a pianist, one should note the several tracks here from Mulligan's first recordings for Pacific Jazz that clearly have a piano (which Mulligan himself also played). Regarded by some as a defining example of west coast jazz, an accomplishment for musicians from Ohio and Oklahoma. Note that the original graphic designer messed up the album number in the upper right; it should be PJLP-1.  The version I am listening to has additional tracks the Mulligan Quartet recorded for Pacific Jazz in the early 50s. Still great listening.
  • edited January 2022
    From The River To The Ocean by Fred Anderson amp Hamid Drake
    Jeff Parker and Josh Abrams are there too

• Bit of a grower this one...
  • Hamid Drake again, this time with Nicole Mitchell (and Harrison Bankhead on bass, as in the album above)
  • edited January 2022

Unfortunately underrated - I think - both as a performer and a composer (this has Melody for Melonae). McLean did make a pretty successful transition from hard bop to a more free form of jazz; this is a good example. Some of McLean's earlier Prestige albums are available on BandCamp.

• Just popped this on while getting ready to go out to what may be my last ever BRAK improv event down the road at WaterIntoBeer due to the impending move. End Times but happy ones I hope.

• Rollins' return to the studio after his bridge sabbatical was helped by his good sense to have Jim Hall join him.

• After a bit of an accident listening to this has helped with the healing.
    Sea Olenea - Shallow. Free download on  Bandcamo, rest of her music is NYOP
  • edited January 2022
    Did you cut your finger?

• No fell over dislocated shoulder smashed up my face and hands

Aswad - New Chapter in Dub
  • “He's no fun... he fell right over."
  • Lowlife said:
    No fell over dislocated shoulder smashed up my face and hands

Aswad - New Chapter in Dub

Ouch! "Let's be careful out there!" as Sarge used to say.
  • Lowlife said:

After a bit of an accident listening to this has helped with the healing.
    Sea Olenea - Shallow. Free download on  Bandcamo, rest of her music is NYOP

Showing as $8 here. Fine sound though.
  • edited January 2022
    @Lowlife Perhaps these will be healing vibes for you, but in any case they are good vibes 🎷

• I'm showing free.
    Here's a link (with proper spelling).
  • rostasi said:
    I'm showing free.
    Here's a link (with proper spelling).

Many Thanks. This might be my next purchase = from my old wishlist

By Brii (I think) Brazillian sort of prog metal or something - I'm not up on all the sub-genres.
  • edited January 2022

On her debut album Belgian based multi-instrumentalist Ann Eysermans explores the possibilities of the train as a music instrument: a deep quest into a fascinating and mesmerizing world, which started as a five year old kid, when she climbed on board of the train helm station during a trip from Antwerp to Ostend.

For the compositions ‘Prelude and Fuga For Four Diesel Locomotives And Harp’ Eysermans had the chance to capture the sounds of diesel locomotives (HD 51, 54, 55 and 60) of the
    Belgian Train World Heritage collection.

Microscopic hissing vibrations of steaming engines slowly entwine and resonate with fragile harp playing, getting on track for an unconventional sonic rail journey.

A melancholic odyssey of sound in motion: Ann Eysermans let the
    sparkling harp notes dissolve into the tones of pulsating train wheels.

On the B-side she bends her soft singing voice around deranged horn melodies in ‘Le Départ’, connects delayed organ harmonies in ‘De Vertraging’ with the dying frequencies of a
    trembling and humming locomotive from the 60’s.

On the key track ‘For Trainspotters Only’ Ann Eysermans assembles a hauntingly piece of musique concrete with clanging chimes, broken music boxes, ghostly whispers and throbbing machine room sounds.

A lonely barking dog and the last train announcement on a desolate platform in ‘Chorale’ also mark the last part of this spellbinding record.

On ‘For Trainspotters Only’ Ann Eysermans takes you on an immersive and meandering ride, connecting the dots between the free spirit of Alice Coltrane, the orchestrated field
    recording compositions of Chris Watson, Basil Kirchin soundtrack vibes and the magic realism of Claire Rousay. 
  • edited January 2022
    @Lowlife best wishes for a speedy recovery. Having recently broken my upper arm playing tennis (really!), I can relate to what you’re going through!

Perhaps this track will help - “Bajabula Bonke (The Healing Song)” by Hugh Masakela.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5djGIsAkgBc5HhXsPk1nX6

• edited January 2022
    @rostasi thanks very much for the introduction to the excellent Marbin.

Have just downloaded their “Marbin Free Sampler” album from Bandcamp at NYOP.

• @Lowlife best wishes for a speedy recovery. Having recently broken my upper arm playing tennis (really!), I can relate to what you’re going through!

Perhaps this track will help - “Bajabula Bonke (The Healing Song)” by Hugh Masakela.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5djGIsAkgBc5HhXsPk1nX6

Yes, speedy recovery indeed!
    Wow, that Masekela cut brings back very fond memories.
    I'll have to bring that album out again.
    One of my first albums I ever owned back in the late 60s.
This discussion has been closed.