Well that may be the end of eMu for me.

Comments

• guys, this is not "the end of eMu for me," but ffs it should probably be "the end of the eMu message boards for me."
  • Uh oh. Do I need to go read something over there?

(I guess, if the word 'need' is part of the equation, then the answer is emphatically 'no,' but still...)
  • haha. well, it looks like the nonsense serve-and-volley on that thread is over (for the moment, so it seems; for the moment . . . ).
  • Wow. Boujeloud sometimes says intelligent things amid all the negativity, but that thread is just unprovoked ill-temper. He must have burned his toast or something. Or felt like mailman was slacking.
  • Or felt like mailman was slacking

bingo.

otoh, i was egging it on a bit, i guess (e.g., "oh rly? gtfo").
  • Yeah, that dude was totally out of line. The discussion threads on there about music are so rare as it is, for people to trample it like that is pretty sad and inexcusable.

And how you somehow became an eMusic proxy to aim their poison at, that I'll never understand. Like I said, just sad. Your contributions to that forum were valuable for as long as I've been a member at eMusic, and probably date way back further than that.
  • thanks for the kind words. yeah, it's a strange message-board nowadays. it deteriorated faster and more permanently after the site interface changes than it did after the other big recent changes (e.g., the ones that brought the major labels and lost the major-indies).
  • Daniel, you really should check out Daughn Gibson's All Hell - I think it would fit well with your love of Dirty Beaches.
  • edited July 2012
    I've wondered about that. Maybe between the various changes cumulatively enough of the people left who were actually interested in discussing music to make it not worthwhile the remainder putting time into the board. Add to that the churn created by the changes as emusic presumably succeeded in attracting new customers, at least for the trial period. I wonder if the rot worsened after the interface changes because of the poor way communication was handled through the board, with random bursts of communication/non-communication that have made me want to vent on there at times, and may have helped make it a natural environment for misanthropes. Funny thing is, I only discovered the board there through the first crisis, the major labels one I think - at that point it was the best way to find out what was happening; as long as emusic was just giving me credits and functioning as usual I had never bothered to find the board.
  • Daniel, you really should check out Daughn Gibson's All Hell - I think it would fit well with your love of Dirty Beaches.

got it, love it. it really deserves more attention, because it's a big-idea (a hautological take on country) that's genuinely new.
  • I wonder if the rot worsened after the interface changes because of the poor way communication was handled through the board, with random bursts of communication/non-communication that have made me want to vent on there at times, and may have helped make it a natural environment for misanthropes

maybe. i think mostly it was happenstance. a new core group of upset, angry subscribers descended on the message boards to complain about the interface changes, and they developed a pack-mentality, or maybe an "echo chamber," that developed its own momentum. pretty soon, the entire front page was complaint threads, the most upset among the group policed any music-related threads to drive the discussion back to their complaints. after a while, it was too discouraging to bother talking about music. you could start such a thread, but as this guy said today, it would fast wind up "on page three with no responses, as forlorn and unregarded as Whitney Houston's rubber duck," whatever that is.

so why bother?
  • edited July 2012
    ffs. hey, anyone want to interpret the real meaning of that last tome poem by boujeloud?

i get the insult part. unlike super-cool, secure emusic subscribers who don't need to reaffirm their own taste, i "chirp" every time a new best-coast album comes out. "hey look, everyone, best coast released a new album today -- super!," and so forth. the rest sounds like the rampling preamble to a Declaration of Trolling (i'm mixing constitutional metaphors there, but whatevs., i'm a dummy).

there's no winning with this type of conversation; only degrees of losing. i think -- certainly at this point -- the loss grows with the amount of time i spend engaging in this dimwitted serve-and-volley.
  • We may never know the real meaning - perhaps something utterly unrelated to emusic or the board. I just replied to him, with a feeling of doing something foolish...really have no motivation to get into an argument, just offering him a further perception of how he is coming across.
  • just saw. thanks for that.
  • unlike super-cool, secure emusic subscribers who don't need to reaffirm their own taste
    So you won't comment on his once mildly challenging, now largely accepted musical tastes?
  • haha, he was into "harsh, scraping metalic noise" before being into "harsh, scraping metalic noise" was cool?
  • Oh no, I just went against my better judgement and threw my hat into that ring. Could. Not. Resist.
  • haha!, just saw that.
  • My goodness, I go to sleep, I wake up, and that thread has 17 more responses.
  • I couldn't help myself.
  • edited July 2012
    No offense to anyone else, but Nerrefid clearly wins that thread.

This clown is clearly very different from Wanderer in that he has no interest in hiding his insults. Wandy and Rayray's great hypocrisy was that they would choose their words carefully so that it seemed as though they were partaking in polite conversation but laced it all with "not so subtle" barbs. Instead he tosses out an obviously loaded question ("hawks its wares" is not a term used without bias) and follows up with some ridiculous diatribe that he claims to have whipped up in about 2 minutes (note that it was almost 300 words - a fairly good typist would take about 4 minutes to input that while an average one would take closer to 6 or 7 minutes - and that's without pausing to think...)

In other words just another forum troll. Perhaps the most ironic part about this is that Wandy and his crew were constantly praising eMusic and all of their "great changes" while this one is on the opposite side - additionally I always though Daniel was the one chiding us for being such dicks over there...
  • Segue. Folks might be interested in reading this tale of a thorny, and in some ways quite upsetting, musical copyright case involving Men at Work. I don’t know how much if any publicity it got outside Australia, but was big news here.
  • edited July 2012
    Well, two days away from the computer and I am intrigued to see the emusic message board. Now that is a new one for me over the last few months, because it really is almost terminally ill over there. But I will have to read that thread to get the full picture.
  • Thank you Daniel - I've learned about cassette culture etc - seriously! But what a buffoon he is,thinking there should not be music threads over there until the site is sorted out to his way of thinking. It needs music threads to keep going, that surely is the rationale of any good music message board - ie the music...
  • NankerP: Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard about this. I'm surprised how this has turned out, particularly given the level of borrowing some bands have done. (It's amazing Jimmy Page has any writing credits, IMO.)
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks NP - facinating, but sad, article. I agree with BT - some artists do a lot of borrowing, and it is certainly not the last such case we'll here about.
  • When I read the thread I thought that Bouje was riffing on this:
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

I mean, he wan't serious, was he?
  • Musical copyright case involving Men at Work.

Very sad, Nank. I had heard of the copyright case, though not the human impact. I've always recognized the solo as a take-off on 'Kookaburra,' a song I knew from childhood - that is one of the things that made it so brilliant. Never would have occurred to me that it was 'plagiarism' rather than an hommage.
  • edited July 2012
    Thank you Daniel - I've learned about cassette culture etc - seriously! But what a buffoon he is,thinking there should not be music threads over there until the site is sorted out to his way of thinking. It needs music threads to keep going, that surely is the rationale of any good music message board - ie the music...

thanks, greg.
    additionally I always though Daniel was the one chiding us for being such dicks over there...

lol, yeah! don't know what happened here.
    I mean, he wan't serious, was he?

lol, yup. appears to have started as a pretext to pick a fight with me, since i'm the one blunting the otherwise powerful impact of the 10,000 "we hate emusic" threads on the message board. now it's all "old school" v. "new school."
  • "Cassette culture"...hipster elitism if you ask me.