What are you listening to right now? (#10 - For everything, everything, everything)

Comments

• kezkez
    edited September 2012
    51ZFR-3U8XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm behind the times - I'm a big fan of Pierce Pettis, but I didn't know his daughter came out with an album in 2009 - much less, this new one which was just released a few days ago. Thanks to Noisetrade for bringing it to my attention. It only took me listening to 1 1/2 songs to download the entire album.
    "If you purchase only one album this year, TWO BIRDS is it! *FIVE STAR REVIEW* - Arthur Wood, Maverick Magazine; "It is clear there are no limits to what Grace can do!" - Mary Sue Twohy, Program Director SiriusXM; "personal, deeply soulful and goose-bump inducing songcraft...easily one of the finest albums from a newcomer this year..." Direct Current; Grace Pettis' highly anticipated second album "TWO BIRDS" is set to be released on September 15, 2012. MAVERICK Magazine will feature a FIVE STAR review of her new album in their October edition.
  • damn. i should get lost more often. struddled into the whatcha jonesin' thread and 1.2 minutes into germanprof's bento box i'm in therapy.

clink.
    six. eight.
  • edited September 2012
    1441979287-1.jpg

Some more therapy.
  • 779684322-1.jpg

Chalk another one up to the benefits of following the crowd. I saw that this/Josh Maxey were getting quite a few mentions on here some time back, and downloaded it on that basis and stuck it in a folder to check out some time. I just listened to it and really enjoyed it - will be listening some more.
  • 600x600.jpg

From the box set thread, nice stuff.
  • 600x600.jpg

A huge set of Villa-Lobos: the complete Bachianas Brasilieras and a good part of the Choros on BIS. $5.99 at eMu.

I probably didn't need another huge set of classical music this month, but I simply love Villa-Lobos.
  • edited September 2012
    - More excellent Hidden Shoal Recordings stuff:

3672802893-1.jpg
    Wizards of Time - Will The Soft Curse Plague On?

- "Step right up and let visionary frontman Andrew Hiller guide you through this glorious wilderness of incandescent melodies and hurtling rhythms. Throw yourself willingly into this rabbit hole of song; cascade around the tape machine’s endlessly spooling reels; emerge, blinking and transformed, ready to ride again. This is a world of sound and song...

Wizards Of Time came together in 2008 with the mutual aim to explore unfamiliar songwriting territory. Over the next couple of years, the band wrote, arranged, and performed live the songs that would be found on their debut album. In 2010, WOT assembled with engineer/producer Scott Solter to call down "Will The Soft Curse Plague On?" The rest is mystery."

wizardsoftime.jpg
    - "Arizona’s Wizards Of Time deftly unleash technicolour art-rock like lightning bolts from their nimble fingers. Progressive without being prog and pop without being pap, the Wizards’ debut release "Will The Soft Curse Plague On?" is a staggering and unique concept album that weaves a universe-enveloping tapestry of dizzying complexity and emotional depth. They are the music makers, the makers of music, the slingers of sound. They are the Wizards Of Time..."

Hidden Shoal Recordings - Emusic
  • edited September 2012
    Listening on Spotify to the Killers' new album Battle Born. I guess they're not considered cool, but this sounds good in a not really original way. The Bruce obsession remains, but listening to this I keep thinking of another band that was discussed here not long ago, Asia. There's some U2 in the mix, too. Their enthusiastic marketing of different versions of the album is kind of off-putting, but I guess if that's what bands have to do these days to make a good living I can live with it.
  • edited September 2012
    Doofy,

Thanks for the reply and also referencing the free thread.
  • edited September 2012
    300x300.jpg

Detwiije - Would You Rather Be Followed By Forty Ducks For The Rest Of Your Life?
  • Beach Boys - Smile Sessions
  • Then (for a slight change of pace!):
    300x300.jpg
  • edited September 2012
    - Experimental "Cellotronica" of the finest quality:

097.jpg
    Alexandr Vatagin - Live @ Riesa Efau / Dresden on September 3rd, 2010

Alexandr Vatagin (Cello & Laptop) plays live reworked songs from his second album "Shards" (Valeot Records/2009).

- "Alexandr Vatagin lives as a musician and producer in Vienna. Besides his solo work he is a member of Tupolev & Port-Royal. He is also the founder of Quarz and he runs Valeot Records and Liska Records. His third solo album "Serza" will be released in November 2012 and Quarz's first album "Five Years On Cold Asphalt" is due out on September 3rd, 2012 on Cr
  • 4828076606_bd802d3258.jpg
    I've Lost - Dissociative Fugue
    Very nice.
  • edited September 2012
    Jean-Marc-Foltz-To-the-Moon.jpg

"To the Moon" w/ Jean-Marc Foltz, Matt Turner, and Bill Carrothers.
    -clarinet/cello/piano quiet improv.
  • edited September 2012
    51hH3F7zcTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Followed by

5168kvHKs7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Charity shop purchases
  • @Lowlife

I totally forgot about that World Party album. Have to look that one up, revisit it. Haven't listened to it in forever.

NP:

colinvallon_rruga.jpg

Colin Vallon - "Rruga"
    -Lovely morning music. One of the rare ECM new releases to do anything for me these days.
  • edited September 2012
    @jonah: Considering how you loathe ECM, you sure use it a lot as a referent . Is it because ECM is a ubiquitous presence in contemporary Jazz? or does ECM promise something that is fulfilled elsewhere?
  • 615HwXBEmNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    In Hinduism, Shiva and Shakti represent the balance between male and female, between meditation and energy. In ShivaShakti, the English horn part was composed by Rokus de Groot, who also created the overall structure of the work. In this recorded performance, Dhruba Ghosh engages in 'instantcomposition' (improvisation), and plays the sarangi part. Dhruba Ghosh and Ernest Rombout, two master musicians schooled in different cultural traditions, each unfold his own musical expertise based respectively on Indian classical and contemporary European music, while at the same time continually remaining attuned to each other. This interplay is a form of intercultural polyphony: respect for difference through mutual responsiveness.
  • sglsa1558.jpg

Wayne Horvitz - "Way Out East"

I think it's about to become a Wayne Horvitz marathon today.
  • edited September 2012
    @BT

I guess it's many things.

1. ECM is a solid reference point, in terms of the label's output and presence in the past, present, and (likely) future of jazz.

2. ECM past and present both signify very different, yet important, phases in my music listening life.

3. Since I'm so reliant on peaceful music to get me started right on any particular day, ECM is a good resource for me to find that kind of music. However...

4. I despise ECMs lack of streaming.

5. Also, much of the music on their label really strains the definition of jazz. This isn't something that's their doing or motivation, but in the game of perpetual visualization/defining of "what is jazz," their music often gets pointed to in that conversation.

6. Also, I feel like the quality of music coming from ECM is in decline, so there's some disappointment cum bitterness about that.

So, all of that adds up to...

7. I have a Love/Loathe relationship with the ECM label. I love the label, but often find it just too damn difficult to share a life with it. So, I keep reminiscing about the good old days by listening to older albums, and irritate myself by my inability to turn my back on the "Today's ECM"... an irritation that transforms to relief when I find a Colin Valon "Rruga" or Iro Haarla "Vespers".

It's complicated.
  • edited September 2012
    41014426FHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
This discussion has been closed.