Bandcamp Goodies

Comments

• Enjoying the Beresford/Homler/Sanderson, bn. You should seek out other Beresford if you can, you'd like. Especially The Bath of Surprise. Hm, you might try here.
  • 4092656569-1.jpg

NYOP for a limited time
  • edited January 2014
    ;-)

a4248642032_2.jpg
    - "Rutilus Bestia is a collection of solo electric guitar improvisations with live real-time computer processing. The track titles are all Latin names of red animals, and the music was inspired by those animals. The project began with three pieces recorded for the weekly event at ImprovFriday."

obj71geo51shd4pg1p41.jpg[/url]
    - "Steve Moyes is an experimental improvising musician, multi-instrumentalist and sometimes composer based in Kent, England. His main instuments are electric guitar and cello, and he makes extensive use of electronics, live looping and computer processing.
    Steve collaborates with a wide variety or musicians and artists in other media, including film, dance, live drawing/painting and spoken word."
  • edited September 2012
    152445567-1.jpg

Monophonic by Pray For Sound

EITS-style guitar post-rock, not too many surprises but well done. More of a narrative arc than many, and track 4 has a harder edge that gives it some added bite. NYOP.
  • Too pretty.

http://lymland.bandcamp.com/

Lymland - "Ensamtidsroman"

GP and BN, I'm looking at your two.
  • edited October 2012
    3024907631-1.jpg

Sufjan Stevens - Silver & Gold, $15 for 58 xmas tracks, or you can get the limited edition vinyl version for $150.

/edit - I failed to mention that The Unicorn Song is free, and 12+ minutes. Just started listening to it, just about what you expect from Sufyan.
  • 2837295682-1.jpg

+33° 58' 41?.?85", -117° 49' 13?.?74" (The Oak Tree). Available as a download, or you can buy a limited edition wooden box with a cassette and leaves from the tree, or just the cassette in a special sleeve. Or, you can drive to the coordinates near the Salton Sea and dig it up for your self. Really.

I like the track, nice ambient / cinematic sound.
  • edited January 2014
    Name your price (for the time beeing ?) and a wonderful album:
    a3531544855_2.jpg - Service's return orbit finds them in an acid folk state of mind. They softly churn out cosmic tones that bore directly into the right brain, eliciting a bright reign of psychedelic sprites. Their mystical leanings steer them close to the likes of Sol Invictus, but OS zigs where neo folk zags, giving them a sonic momentum that leads to a much outer part of outer space. This beautifully crafted set smells like moist earth covered in leaves. Orbit Service's mining of ever deeper moods has yielded a subtle treasure that glows like distant sun. The album includes contributions from:
    Kim G. Hansen (Antenne)
    Anna Brønsted (Our Broken Garden / Efterklang)
    Elin Palmer (crooked fingers/munly and the lee lewis harlots)
    Edward Ka-Spel (The Legendary Pink Dots)
    Kirill Nikolai (Still Light)
    Dennis Swanson (day dissolved dream)
    Esther Hernandez (pee pee)

produced by kim g. hansen and randall frazier on two continents via the internet. mixed by kim g. hansen. mastered by randall frazier. engineered by kim g. hansen and randall frazier. additional engineering by brian gerhart.

orbit service was:
    Kim G. Hansen: synths, electric guitars, samples, mixing, production
    Randall Frazier: vocals, synths, samples, production
    Brian Gerhart: acoustic and electric guitars
    Dennis Swanson: electric guitars
    - Beta-lactam Ring Recordings 2011
  • edited October 2012
    This is the new one from Goldfinch. It's a great folk rock record by some friends of mine. I'm bad at the comparison thing, but you might like it if you are into Josh Ritter or the Swell Season, but you've always wished they added a pedal steel.

"Beautiful Wine" and "Lean into Solitude" are my favorite songs.

http://bit.ly/R8L2md
  • Found this site yesterday

http://www.bandcampsbest.com

Some interesting music on here but I have not had the time to go through it all yet
  • edited December 2013
    a0703756727_2.jpg

- Thanks Lowlife . . .
    None of the names rings any bells, exept track 1 by Søren Andreasen that sounds very Danish. A very nice Aphex Twin'ish prepared piano kind of thing.
  • edited October 2012
    Two-fer Wednesday!

2796582268-1.jpg
    NYOP
    We feel there is huge similarity's between the Avant-Garde/Free Jazz movement of the 50's & 60's & the beat movement of Today. As both movements attempted to break down, extend & alter the conventions of their original genres (Jazz & Hip Hop) & were never afraid to experiment & improvise to create something that wasn't accepted commercially at the time.

2834647623-1.jpg
    FREE
    Label Love Volume 5: The Jazz Edition showcases a broad range of Jazz, with the goal of expanding minds to the magical genre and its many forms.

Each label and artist evokes its own signature giving this collection a diversified and interesting flow. Label Love consists of nostalgic jazz classics, unreleased gems, and exclusive selections.
  • Thanks elwood - both look like really good finds!
  • 342078989-1.jpg

Scrimshire's debut album is avaialble for a short while, this is good British soul/jazz and well worth a listen, free download

4063483765-1.jpg

The Oh Hellos are Maggie and Tyler Heath, music-making siblings hailing from the great state of Texas. Their influencesrange from Mumford & Sons and The Lumineers to Los Campesinos!, old hymns, and Irish folk songs, bending and blending styles and genres into a unique mixture of eclectic folk rock.

NYOP Bandcamp
  • Thanks Lowlife, I'm on the train at the moment going to your city, but I will certainly download later. I am planning to visit a few record stores and bookshops, plus maybe an art gallery if time.
  • edited November 2012
    A goodie for the Experimental/Avantgarde inclined:

1947082080-1.jpg

Margolis.jpg
    Al Margolis aka. If, Bwana
    - "Activist in the 1980s American cassette underground through his cassette label Sound Of Pig Music, co-founder of experimental music label Pogus Productions. Active under the name If, Bwana since 1984, making music that has swung between fairly spontaneous studio constructions and more process-oriented composition.
    A recent review of Margolis's work says: "Let it be declared that Al Margolis/If, Bwana is some sort of evil genius working with raw materials which are never adapted to a genre or a context, because they create one in that very moment. Those sources are radically altered up to an utterly unrecognizable state, anarchic manifestations moving in compact determination." (Massimo Ricci, Touching Extremes).

Currently Margolis is label manager for Deep Listening, XI Records, and Mutable Music; plays bass guitar in the legendary punk/post-punk band Styrenes; and continues his work as If, Bwana. He has recorded and/or performed with Pauline Oliveros, Ione, Joan Osborne, Monique Buzzart
  • 3416827496-1.jpg

New one from Hope and Social NYOP
  • edited November 2012
    2947997756-1.jpg
    Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra - Theatre Is Evil
    - released 11 September 2012

AMANDA FUCKING PALMER: vocals, piano, synthesizers
    JHEREK BISCHOFF: vocals, upright bass, guitar
    MICHAEL MCQUILKEN: vocals, drums, percussion, programming
    CHAD RAINES: vocals, guitar, trumpet, keyboards, programming
  • 3024907631-1.jpg

Silver & Gold, Sufjan Stevens' Christmas collection, a lovely 58 track collection for $15 on bandcamp.
  • 455678659-1.jpg

No 5 in the Futuresequence releases
  • Bandcamp now has a sort of social media side, This is my Bandcamp Page. I showed you mine, feel free to show me yours.

It looks a bit pinterest-esque. But it is nice to have a page which shows everything you have bought from Bandcamp.
  • That is kinda cool. Here's mine.

I just set it up so I guess I can add comments and stuff later. The ability to see everything I purchased in one place is nice. Not surprisingly, it's more than I would have guessed.
  • This will be very interesting when it gets going, will mean even more time spent on Bandcamp
  • Now full-up. Shame - I'll have to wait untill full launch. It'll be interesting to see what I have bought. Does it include free downloads? If so I'll have lots.
  • edited December 2013
    Buy Now, name your price:
    a0462351977_2.jpg
    The True Meaning Of Boodleybaye
    - "Mice Parade was originally the solo project of New Yorker Adam Pierce, who has also played in Swirlies, The Dylan Group, HiM, múm, and Philistines Jr.
    From its outset, Mice Parade showed a boldly inventive, highly individual take on instrumental music / electronica. Following 1998’s Bubble Core album, ‘The True Meaning Of BoddleyBaye’, their first FatCat album, ‘Ramda’ (‘99), forged a distinctive, immersive audio space of piled-up percussion and atmospheric, hook-laden melodics."

- Fat Cat Records
    - "The defining album from Mice Parade and a personal favourite - fans of To Rococo Rot / Kreidler will find this a must! "Mice Parade is one person, a friend of mine named Adam, playing all sorts of instruments from old organs and synths to gourd pianos to grand pianos, saxophones and guitars. Sick beats (played on drumsets and recorded with microphones - no computer sequencing here) and odd time signatures prevail throughout, but the songs and the moods conveyed vary drastically. If you need some sort of salespitch you could say that he's the drummer in the Swirlies, the Dylan Group, the Philistines Jr., or you could check out his solo discography. But who really cares? If people listen to this music, they might find a lot to like, and without even knowing what a swell guy he is. When I listen to it I sometimes think of U-Ziq, other times of My Bloody Valentine, maybe Steve Reich at points, but then a hip-hop beat might push all that aside. Who knows. Mice Parade's music can be equated to an old pair of shoes; something comfortable which you can always go back to and never want to get rid of" - Shane DeBlasio. The goals that were striven for in making this record were many. One was to get closer to a true breakdown of genres and the need for classification (often talked about but rarely accomplished). Another was the adherence to a "one take only" policy throughout the recording process, allowing only one try for everything including the mix down. Since there's only one person playing all the instruments, this approach forced a bunch of improvisation, and as Bob Ross would say, "there are no mistakes, only happy accidents." Awesome."
    - Boomkat
  • edited November 2012
    Finally catching up with the junkmail folder I found my invitation to create a bandcamp fanpage. Apart from containing a couple of things I am pretty sure I didn't download (but I guess family members might have) it looks like a very useful thing. Here's mine. (Haven't made it pretty yet). (Also - this makes sense - it seems that anything I downloaded for free that did not demand my email address is not there).
  • edited December 2012
    This is from back in the eighties, but guitarist Barry Cleveland has, apparently, remastered it or re-issued it or re-something. But he's savvy enough to know to stick it up on bandcamp...

MI0000636848.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://barrycleveland.bandcamp.com/album/mythos-3

Total 80s new age electronica. Appeals to me with its fuzzy ambience in the way that some Brian Eno does, and some Cluster, Mike Oldfield, and some of the ambient tracks on Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to the Last Temptation of Christ.

Cleveland submitted the track "Abrasax" to the AAJ dotd. Honestly, I can't justify it, not even for the "Saturday The Fringes" series, but I might slot it for Christmas Eve, just because it's so damn soothing, which everyone needs around the holidays, and besides, I can just picture snow falling over fir trees as I listen to this music. I'll think about it. I do like the track.
  • edited December 2012
    2978970679-1.jpg

Cool kosmische synth music from Black Unicorn. NYOP @ bandcamp.
    Rediscovering Infinity collects released, forthcoming, and new material by Black Unicorn along with a collection of unique inserts. The titular track, recorded exclusively for Deep Distance, is a five part movement that reinterprets an earlier theme as a story of cosmic awakening and redemption. Further pieces are collected from the 2011 cassette Squid and Whale and the forthcoming album Traced Landscapes (to be released on Field Hymns in 2012).
  • 3386090654-1.jpg

Free Download
  • I got invited to join the Bandcamp social media page. So, I assume it's open to more folks now.

My page looks small with none of the free stuff there! But it's here: cafreema.

Craig