4125620501-1.jpg
    Weasel Walter and Bhob Rainey - At the Mudlark Public Theatre
    released 20 December 2011
    Bhob Rainey - soprano saxophone
    Weasel Walter - drums
    -with Cree McCree - incitement and critique
  • edited January 2012
    3253657420-1.jpg
    "Welcome to this special Amnesty International download page for the Ben Frost soundtrack to ‘The Invisibles’.

This new short film by Gael Garcia Bernal and Marc Silver, details the plight of the tens of thousands of men, women and children who leave their homes in Central and South America each year to travel across Mexico in search of a better life in the USA.
    Inspired by the stories of the people who make this journey through Mexico, actor and director Gael García Bernal and director Marc Silver joined forces with Amnesty International to shine a light on the abuses migrants suffer. Told over four parts, the film is a shocking look at a world many people would rather you didn’t know about.
    Ben Frost’s soundtrack offers a stark and emotive backdrop to the film, enhancing the already breathtaking and moving scenes captured as the Invisibles’ stories unfolds. We’re hugely grateful to Ben for donating all proceeds from sales directly to Amnesty International."

- $5 USD or more . . .
  • edited January 2012
    2399778166-1.jpg
    Desert Island Dicks - The Shades of Jazz to Come
    - "Is based on Ornette Coleman's seminal album "The Shape of Jazz to Come"; a section of the original Coleman album, each equivalent to ten percent of the length of each track, was extracted, re-stretched by a factor of ten until they arrived back at each track's original length, and post-effected as necessary."

- "The album was named in The WIRE magazine by New York-based composers/sound artists Marina Rosenfeld and Raz Mesinai as one of their "End of Year 15" albums from 2009".
  • edited January 2012
    show_tralbum_art

Good Weather for an Airstrike - "Underneath the Stars"

I think this band has been mentioned previously on another thread. Really soft and pretty drone. I learned about it through twitter. It's perfect for recovering from multiple migraines.

Hm, image didn't work.
  • edited January 2012
    @Brighternow - that last one you posted would certainly make by "most hideous album covers of the decade" list.
    @jonahpwll, nor did the link.
  • 2974396816-1.jpg

Conrad Schnitzler (1937 - 2011)
    - "has been a prolific German experimental musician, he has been a major, though reclusive, figure on the European music scene since the late 1960s. Schnitzler was an early member of Tangerine Dream (1969 - 1970) and a founder of the band Kluster. He left Kluster in 1971, first working with his group Eruption and then focusing on solo works."

Bernhard Wöstheinrich (born in 1968):
    - " is an experimental musician mostly known for his work with centrozoon and his solo project under the moniker "The Redundant Rocker"
  • edited January 2012
    Mr. B proudly presents a truely brilliant ensemble:

3955888767-1.jpg
    Ali Berkok: electric piano
    Jamie Drake: vibraphone, marimba, xylophone
    Matthew "Doc" Dunn: pedal steel guitar
    Pete Johnston: double bass
    Mark Laver: alto saxophone
    Mike Smith: banjo, harmonium, guitars

"Muskox is a Toronto-based instrumental group formed to perform the compositions of Mike Smith. Since its inception in 2006 the group has developed a unique ensemble sound based on the diverse musical backgrounds of its membership and unusual banjo-led instrumentation. Muskox’s music is a challenging fusion of jazz, American minimalism, various folk musics, and progressive rock, with a focus on densely structured poly-metric pieces."
    - http://www.muskoxhq.net/.
  • edited January 2012
    Here's a decent nugaze/noisepop band, apparently from France though they sing in unaccented English, (and I could find hardly any additional info about them). Anyway, it's free, no e-mail address required, and they sound a bit like an updated version of early New Order, or maybe. (I hesitate to say "Yo La Tengo," but maybe them too.)

3995808002-1.jpg
  • edited January 2012
    1303172492-1.jpg2667253074-1.jpg

Lively guitar post-rock, follows the genre customs but nicely done. One is NYOP/no minimum, the other free download for an email.
  • edited January 2012
    I guess I'm just a sucker for stuff like this, but it's short, sweet, dreamy and free:

577638510-1.jpg

Other tracks by The Dualies on Bandcamp totally fail to suggest this degree of potential, I might add. Hopefully they'll continue in this vein...
  • edited January 2012
    - An old Amie Street darling of mine, also on Bandcamp:

2729237188-1.jpg

- As innocent and charming as the cover suggests. . .
  • edited January 2012
    - Now also on Bandcamp:

2522989398-1.jpg

- For $8,00 - and $7.00 @ Experimedia (available in flac in both places) . . .
  • 3747917869-1.jpg

Pleasant guitar-based ambient/drone. Free on bandcamp.
  • edited February 2012
    Sofia+Talvik.jpg
    "We all know the Swedes can write a mean pop song – but what about folk songs? Well, one artist is nonchalantly transferring the charm and fun found in most pop songs into sweet, acoustic twang. Sofia Talvik, brings bubbly blonde ambition to this raw and often quiet genre with a captivating breath of fresh air"

4092656569-1.jpg
  • "The Owls Are Not What They Seem" - Um, Log-Lady in Twin Peaks? (On topic - Sofia Talvik is wonderful, I have Blue Moon and maybe one other. Very nice vocals)
  • edited February 2012
    3080399149-1.jpg
    WHITE RAINBOW - INFINITY•BEAT•TAPE
  • New from Camomille Netlabel:

1668147591-1.jpg
    - "Our ears are wide-open to what's been going on in eastern europe since the ascension of beautiful acts from there in 2011. This time, we have russian artist Yara contributing a marvelously brooding record.
    His music drifts over our heads, like a faint wind brushing on top of forest trees or a the memory of someone long lost, walking in the distance. Sometimes it makes us feel like the world is closing up on us, confronting us. What's sure is that no scene is left unscathed in Spectrum ; you wander through the pieces as if they were different places, like a ghost, slowly observing and steadily hovering forward."
  • edited March 2012
    4249702270-1.jpg
    Mr. Bitterness and The Guilty Pleasures - Destined for Dust

- From the Acts of Silence review:
    "Listening to Epic Flail is like listening to the bastard child of Joy Division and Henry Cow.” Yeah, I know it’s a little silly, but after his latest album listening to Destined for Dust, I can definitively say that Mr. Bitterness is the really the long-lost love child of Ian Curtis and Ian McCulloch."

"Name Your Price" or free @ The Archive
    http://mrbitterness.com/ - Emusic
  • Sorry, I just have to post this one also:
    913590560-1.jpg

- Soooo Goooood !
  • edited March 2012
    I only recently discovered Bandcamp and this thread, and I must say I am loving it so far. The ability to pick your preferred download format is a huge attraction, since I've been trying to rip everything lossless over the past few months and have drifted away from eMu and most of my other (former) favorite download sites as a result. I've found a few things I already loved, like this one, which is crunchy power pop influenced by the usual suspects (Jellyfish, Queen, blah blah blah). Well worth the $5 they're asking for it.

Jackdaw4, Bipolar Diversions

This is another power pop fave I bought from eMu a couple of years ago and still listen to, also $4.99

Army Navy

And here's one by a band from Durham, NC called Sea Cow. Terrible name but I like the album a lot. Full disclaimer, the female singer is a friend of mine, but I wouldn't rec unless I dug it. Reminds me of the Continental Drifters. Name your own price.

Sea Cow, Tell Me Where It Hurts

BTW, how do you post the links with the album cover?
  • edited March 2012
    how do you post the links with the album cover?

Find the album cover online, right click and select "copy image URL" or whatever the equivalent is in your browser, paste that address here and add tags around it. The tags would be img before the address and /img after the address, both of them enclosed in square brackets [...]

So for sea cow:

{img}http://f0.bcbits.com/z/28/69/2869427593-1.jpg{/img}

but with the squiggly brackets replaced by square ones.
  • 855592932-1.jpg

Where the East Coast Indie cut with Chiptune music collides with Philly Boom Bap. Solid summer-style listen and free for an email.
  • edited March 2012
    F
  • edited April 2012
    - Thanks Karg . . . F
  • Fascinating BN - I will listen to it just to hear what the biomass sounds like!!
  • Maybe listening to this will give me more insight into Kleist's plays.
  • Cross-posted from free stuff thread

Free bandcamp albums from Panabrite, two volumes. Cosmic synth stuff. Nice.

849226568-1.jpg[/img]3270259131-1.jpg
  • 2361546350-1.jpg

Free/NYOP (i.e. NYOP with explicit encouragement to download for free an an archive.org link).

Very pleasant instrumental folky guitar.
    Although the title might point in another direction, nobody really sings on “Sing on in Silhouettes”. Fred Baty’s intricate, neo-baroque Folk music is as instrumental as it ever was. Still, Baty enhanced his palette of instruments and while “Sky Diaries” was an unpolished diamond, “Sing on in Silhouettes” sounds rich and timeless. Crepusculum bridges from John Fahey to XTC ca. 1986, bringing forth the melodic complexity of NWOBHM-pioneers Iron Maiden without being heavy at all.
  • edited March 2012
    3139457591-1.jpg
    - "This is an album about parting ways. A soundtrack to many goodbyes I've had to commit to and an ode to the tiny tragedies of life. As we all turn the page to a new chapter of our lives, somethings need to stay behind."
    - Vincent Fug