Bandcamp Goodies

Comments

• Enjoying The Notes, ScissorMan. They have an interesting indie pop meets Joy Division thing going on.

Short Pockets is up next.

Craig
  • Thanks Scissorman - I really like this
  • edited November 2016
    a1660272046_14.jpg

TRACK INFORMATION:
    Leroy Jenkins
    - Space Minds, New Worlds, Survival Of America (1979) [16:42]
    Recorded on June 17, 2007
    Published by Jenkins Music Company, ASCAP

Shelley Burgon - Four Days (2007) [11:20]
    Recorded on June 10, 2007 (Premiere performance)

Jon Gibson - Song 1 (1974, string qt. ver. 2007) [8:59]
    Recorded on June 17, 2007 (Premiere of string version)
    Published by Undertow Music, BMI [all rights reserved]

Joan La Barbara - in the shadow and act of the haunting place (1995, revised 2007) [16:35]
    Recorded on June 24, 2007
    Published by Joan La Barbara, ASCAP

Arthur Russell - Themes from the Singing Tractors (Pages 1, lines 1 - 4) (ca. 1987)
    Recorded on June 17, 2007
    Written by Charles Arthur Russell Jr.

Emusic link
  • For the more experimental/ambient/drone fans, I present Albert Swarm. He's quite good.

Craig
  • edited September 2011
    263206830-1.jpg
    Talvihorros - Descent Into Delta - (Hibernate - August 2011)

“For a record that relies solely on instrumental music this is a considerable achievement which gives true meaning to the much over-used term, ‘emotional journey’.”
    - Leonard’s Lair.

- Description and review:
    http://www.talvihorros.com/album/descent-into-delta/
  • i want to download some stuff from bandcamp. i don't have a paypal account. my other option is to just input my credit card information.

is bandcamp secure/safe?
  • It's still through paypal, even if you have no paypal account.
  • Jonah, have you seen this one? About the 13th band Steven Lugerner is in, as near as I can tell.

835051859-1.jpg

Just checking it out, sounds good. This outfit is coming to Chicago, I learn via Twitter.
  • when you download the stuff, you're given the option to "open" or "save." which do you choose?

i've always chosen "save." i wonder if this is the reason i've always had problems when i go back to play the file later on (i.e., should i be choosing "open," instead?).
  • edited September 2011
    dammit. chose "save," a zip file -- in MP3 320 -- begins to download. then when it finishes and i go to open it: error ("unexpected end of archive").

this is why i stick with emusic.
  • edited September 2011
    This has never happened to me.
    - If it's one you have payed for, there will be an a confirmation email in your inbox with a DL link, as far as I remember it works even if you already have DL'ed from the site.

BTW: I use "save as" > My music folder > Artist folder > Album folder (in windows)
    -
  • eh. i've apparently got a different issue, more about my computer.
  • edited September 2011
    You're using a Macintosh, aren't you? If you're using the built-in .zip support, you might try something like ZipIt, MacZip, or MacRAR instead. Though usually that error occurs when the file is completely empty.

(That's never happened to me either, by the way...)
  • Are you unzipping your zip files?
  • edited September 2011
    2401286473-1.jpg tmns.jpg
    Talkingmakesnosense - Coruscates[/url]

" Talkingmakesnosense is Dominic Dixon of Glasgow who has been making music in one form or another since he was a child. Most recently, he’s been releasing records on the now sadly defunct Benbecula Records, and now a new album on Rural Colours.
    Coruscates consists of four long-form tracks, each tipping past the ten-minute mark."

- Rural Colours - 2011 - http://talkingmakesnosense.com/

- Majestic !
  • edited September 2011
    3825840336-1.jpg
    Years Of Rice and Salt - Nothing of Cities

Pretty, sunny post-rock with brass and strings, going for the warm and tuneful rather than the overwrought and cathartic, though it has its share of crescendos. Very nicely done & enjoyable. Certainly well worth a listen. More than worth a listen in fact.

Sputnikmusic reviewer writes: "This is a beautiful, well executed and wonderfully enjoyable album full of optimistic, wonderful atmospheres and soundscapes that any fan of this style of music would be silly to pass up."
    Silent Ballet reviewer writes: "With one buzz-worthy EP under their belt, Years of Rice and Salt may be a new name to most, but we’ll likely be hearing their name again as Nothing of Cities is one of 2011’s best post-rock albums... This album is strong from start to finish, weaving traditional post-rock, experimental stanzas, folky gaeity, triumphant singalongs, emotive journeying and seamless instrumental interplay."

NYOP. No minimum.
  • @Daniel - Bandcamp is as safe as any other site to order from. Personally I always save the zips to a download folder and then unzip them to my music folder (and then perform any other necessary voodoo before adding it to my collection). As BN mentioned, if you paid for the album, you can always use the link in the confirmation e-mail to re-download it. Otherwise it definitely sounds like there is an issue with your machine - it may very well be a problem with the browser not properly completely downloads.
  • yeah, it's the voodoo that's a pain for me. machine issues resolved, thankfully.

loving bandcamp right now. using it to sample and cull stuff i can't find anyplace else digitally, like a large portion of the catalog from the cassette-only label "night-people."
  • so ... wheat/chaff ratio on bandcamp is not good, but that's to be expected. and, of course, i've only seen a small slice of what's available.

but i think it's an incredibly valuable site in terms of bringing cassette-only titles to the internet. why it's true with bandcamp and not, say, emusic or itunes isn't clear to me, but there are scores of titles from these cassette-only labels, e.g., night-people; italian beach babes; campaign for infinity; sibling sex; eddys; and soft power. a lot of interesting music.

btw, it seems to me that a lot of the artists on these underground labels bubble up to the next tier of labels, which then brings the artist to emusic. these labels include captured tracks; sacred bones; not not fun. the artists include dirty beaches; ema; woven bones; peaking lights. so these underground labels are like the farm-leagues for a lot of exciting acts.
  • Bandcamp caters to the self-release crowd, so the amount of garbage is going to be up there with Amie Street. So far I've pretty much skipped trying to just scan the site and instead opt to have it filtered via blogs, labels and (of course) you guys.

Since those cassette-only labels are doing it for themselves, they can get set up on Bandcamp easily (just like on the dearly departed Amie). It's not until they get licensed to a bigger indie or a major label that someone else starts taking care of their digital distribution and get the releases into all of the online stores.
  • So far I've pretty much skipped trying to just scan the site

It can be fun to go random treasure hunting. My method is to go to the bandcamp home page, pick a genre, then from the first genre page add "?page=X" to the web address where X is replaced by a random number (so http://bandcamp.com/tag/ambient would for instance become http://bandcamp.com/tag/ambient?page=52). That gives you a page of random hits and you have maybe a 10% chance of finding something interesting enough to listen to.
  • So far I've pretty much skipped trying to just scan the site and instead opt to have it filtered via blogs, labels and (of course) you guys.

If you are only scanning for a single genre (the more precise, the better), you can do some effective searches on a daily basis.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but there's a blog called Bandcamp Favorites that's a good filtering device for indie-rock/shoegazer fans like myself. (A fair amount of post-rock also gets mentioned there.) It takes a little while to load, though, because the player embeds are a little slow to render, but of course that makes it easier once it's all loaded, since you can play the stuff right from there.
  • A few months ago I realised I was spending far too much time going through Bandcamp only finding a handful of albums I really liked. So now I do that fairly rarely and I admit rely on recommendations here too
  • edited September 2011
    3539743844-1.jpg
    ""Rose de Shiraz" is an album about love, dreams, hay fever, street-markets, shopping, cooking and eating... Vienna based Ulrich Troyer (aka Uli Troyer, previously released on Mego) and friends create experimental electronic pop with soul and humor. Cut-up samples of various sounds and vocals (of persian, turkish, german, italian, french and kurdish friends dropping by), along with guest musicians playing guitars, bass, clarinet, and saxophone, are rearranged to make something completely new, with a big love to small details. The album begins its journey through street markets in Mexico, over to Paris and Vienna, and ending in the middle of a bazar in Cairo. With scenic, romantic melodies and warm tones, the album gradually takes the listener into deeper territory, contrasting delicate, melodic shapes with weird cut-up sounds and distorted funk rhythms . . . . ."

- Excellent stuff !
  • edited September 2011
    Here's the results of a recent crawl through Bandcamp - all free or nyop - all worth a spin I think. Sorry no pics - it's a pita from here.

Doah - Prime. free at Bandcamp, and very good.

Hazel's Wart - A Demonstration also free; also very nice.

Pilots and Errors - Broken Hearted Friends free on Bandcamp - clearly influenced by Fleet Foxes (he uses fleet foxes as a tag), with some added chillwhateveryoucallit - but not bad.

Edit: if you check that one out, listen to the last track first.

Bobby Lee - the Grace of God - free - just some guy playing some religious songs on pedal steel - very nice.

Bobby Lee - same guy as above, but this is an experimental collage tape from 1969.

Sacrifice the Moon - STM .Free, sort of hipster doom; likable.

Edit; now has some jazz-like moments with trumpet - and weird samples - pretty nice.

Corduroi - Anything for Now - nyop - very, very nice - maybe best of my Bandcamp batch so far.

Gentlemen - The White Tin - free, noisy, growing on me.

Love Died - Witch House is Dead - free - witchy.

Gosts - Magia - free - witch hop dream pop - I'm enjoying it.

Shaman - Remixes Vol. 1- free - chopped and screwed name-brand pop and r&b - nice

Sun Hotel - Coast - nyop - "tags: indie post-gospel swamp church indie post-gospel swamp New Orleans" - pretty good. Reminds me of something I can't put my finger on.

Guadalupe Plata - free - "tags: blues andalusia blues punk spain swamp Spain" - phenomenally good Spanish blues-rock.
  • wow!, some of those look interesting. thanks; will check 'em out.
  • edited October 2011
    Most Excellent and brand new from Leyland Kirby (aka. The Caretaker and V/VM):

1015427770-1.jpg
    Eager to tear apart the stars . . .
    (History Always Favours the Winners)

ETA:
    "After three absolutely killer releases this year, including two volumes of his Intrigue and Stuff 12" EP series and one album as the Caretaker that's already sitting firmly in my Best of 2011 list, Leyland Kirby returns for perhaps the final salvo this year with a new album entitled Eager to Tear Apart the Stars. Where his work as the Caretaker focuses on repurposed and subtly manipulated samples of prewar jazz and chamber music 78s, here Kirby puts an emphasis on the sound palettes explored in the Intrigue EPs. Spare, somber piano chords and epic, Vangelis-inspired synth beds are washed in the rains of analogue sound-dust and vinyl crackle, with "They Are All Dead, There Are No Skip at All" adding lush layers of celeste, harp, and what sounds like cor anglais, evoking the same emotions so masterfully conjured in a work like William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops. These Blade Runner-styled synth washes are epic yet grey, like a sunset before a thunderstorm, slow-moving and massive, but beyond human grasp and with a nebulous foundation that has roots in something entirely emotional and intangible; Kirby's works are so moving precisely because though we can hear and feel them, as listeners we can never quite get a hold on just what makes such a simple yet grand statement so powerful. This is ambient music that refuses to be ignored, which slows down the time in which it is listened; it's one of the most gorgeous pieces of music I've heard all year in any genre, and like all of his other releases, the LP pressing is super limited, and won't last long. So all you vinyl hounds out there: buy now or cry later. Trust me, this is epic crying music... you don't want to sleep on this one. Absolutely epic, and most highly recommended."
    - Mikey IQ Jones / Other Music.
  • 2491940527-1.jpg
    Tuxedomoon Live Alberobello, Italy

"Tuxedomoon live at Alberobello, Italy July 9, 2011. The music in this package is an "as is" document of our most recent live performance available for the first time for collectors and fans of Tuxedomoon.
    - Released 07 August 2011