Bandcamp Goodies

Comments

• edited October 2011
    3192924596-1.jpg

Free album from Bill Mallonee, americana songwriter originally out of Athens, Georgia.

/Edit: The song titles here are all jokes, this is a "greatest hits" album so to speak. My guess is that Bill has lost control of all of these songs so he is re-released them with goofy titles to get around copyright law.
  • 51iKWTXRC%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ensemble, et al - "When the Tape Runs Out"

http://ensembleetal.bandcamp.com/album/when-the-tape-runs-out-2

One buck.
    ABOUT:

ensemble, et al. is a Brooklyn-based pseudo-classical percussion ensemble that combines elements of classicism and modernism while taking a garage approach to its material. The group's repertoire, containing mostly original works composed by Ron Tucker and collaborations between the ensemble's players, springs from an almost punk-rock desire to chart unknown territories from musicians who have tired of inhabiting all-too familiar states. Atypical for some percussion groups, ensemble, et al. prefers a simple, intimate, dynamic and delicately beautiful aesthetic.

Also check out the related Threnody Ensemble.
  • From Digitalis Recordings:

663071489-1.jpg
    Chubby Wolf - Turkey Decoy

"Chubby Wolf was the moniker used by the late Dani Baquet-Long of Celer for her subdued world of sound. With the help of Dani's husband and Celer's other half, Will Long, the final Chubby Wolf recordings are finally seeing the light of day and the world is a better place because of it. Turkey Decoy represents some of her most accessible work. . . . .
    http://www.digitalisindustries.com/rec_index.html
  • edited October 2011
    2622122091-1.jpg
    AMute / J
  • Hibernate sampler volume 4
    2933553812-1.jpg
    "hibernate sampler volume 4 compiles a track from each release from April 2010 to October 2011."
    - (0.50 GBP Or free download for a tweet)
  • edited November 2011
    446202631-1.png
    Chubby Wolf - Meandering Pupa
    released 01 March 2009
    All Music, Voice, Processing, Titles, and Photography by Dani Baquet-Long

About Chubby Wolf:
    "Chubby Wolf is Danielle Baquet-Long, who also performed as half of the husband and wife duo, Celer, was an educator, poet, writer of prose, non-fiction, and social commentary, a painter, photographer, and an inventive musical multi-instrumentalist and vocalist. As a permanent member of Celer through marriage, she has created many self-releases, many unique and hand crafted, as well as works for labels in Japan, North America, and Europe. She had extensive background in Gender Studies, Education, Photography, and Tibetan Studies, as well as having lived and studied in India, Sri Lanka, and Nepal. She passed away on July 8, 2009 of heart failure. She will always be missed, and loved by her husband, cat, and two wolf dogs. Her unpublished music, writing, and photography will continue to be published, and is managed lovingly by her husband Will."
    - Dragons Eye Recordings
  • 4195874904-1.jpg

New from Joe Frawley - Curious Perspectives. Free for an email. A kind of "soundscape" recording. Electronic / ambient, lots of thinks happening.
  • edited October 2011
    2174250448-1.jpg
    . . . "An all-star cast of musicians joins R. Loren in the full realization of his objectives. Their names read like the dream team of a musical mastermind with one foot in the indie-rock firmament and the other in doom-dirge purgatory. Read ’em and, like, weep: Ted Parsons (Swans/Godflesh/Prong), Colin Marston (Krallice/Behold…The Arctopus), Aidan Baker (Nadja), Simon Scott (Slowdive), Dominick Fernow (Prurient/Cold Cave), Vern Rumsey (Unwound), Hildur Gudnadottir (Múm/Throbbing Gristle/The Knife), Aaron Stainthorpe (My Dying Bride), Jonas Renkse (Katatonia), Marissa Nadler, J. Leah, James Blackshaw, [and artwork by] David Tibet (Current 93) and Faith Coloccia (Mamiffer/Pyramids). . ."

- (Oh my god !)
  • clouds.jpg

Nheap - "Clouds Under the Table"
    -Nice ambient electronica. Some rhythmic qualities that I also like in Nik Bartsch's Ronin and Steve Reich's "Another Look at Counterpoint", as well as Brian Eno-like quietness.

Priced NYOP on his bandcamp page...

http://nheap.bandcamp.com/
  • Hey, new SPC ECO album!

3145268804-1.jpg

It's not free (they want 5 quid) but having heard the first 4 tracks, I think it might well be worth what they're asking.
  • Free single (no e-mail address required) by The Chambermaids, a "post-shoegaze reverb rock" act from Minneapolis:

1824097784-1.jpg

Nice!
  • edited November 2011
    Jay ! ! !

600x600.jpg
    - Emusic
  • Another huge collection of free tracks from Futuresequence. 43 tracks, over 4 hours, including names such as (to list a few that have previously graced this board) Nils Frahm, Rhian Sheehan, Seaworthy, Damian Valles, Jannick Schou, Radere, Specta Ciera, The Inventors of Aircraft... Free download from bandcamp.

2353365002-1.jpg

cross-posted from free stuff thread.
  • yU-A-Garbag-Beat-Tape-Front-Cover.jpg

yU - A Garbage Beat Tape - free beat tape from Mello Music Group
  • Does anybody know where I enter a download code on bandcamp? I could've sworn I've done this before, but I'm not seeing anything.

Do I have to enter credit card information before it lets me get to a download code field?
  • edited November 2011
    Bandcamp download codes are product-specific, or at least artist-specific, and they can expire:

http://blog.bandcamp.com/2010/01/25/discount-codes/

So if the artist from whom you're buying something set up the download (or whatever) that way, and the code is still valid, you should see the control for entering it as soon as you click "Buy Now" (there's a screen shot on the linked page). If you don't, it means I'm a filthy liar and should have my computer confiscated by the appropriate authorities.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide if I should buy this Portland-area indie/shoegaze comp for $5:

758997261-1.jpg

All proceeds go to the OWS NYC General Fund, apparently. (I guess they already have plenty of money for occupying Portland itself, so they're trying to "spread it around").
  • 661554180-1.jpg

By Ben Woods - I have another of his from somewhere that was getting some play on this board a while back. This is nice ambient instrumentals built around piano. Free download (cross-posting to free stuff thread).
    The songs all contain a similar tone which is very light and fragile, almost lacking in bite. Opener “After the Wind” is a piano led track which rings out beautifully with every note hit. Some background keyboard work slowly fades into the song and takes the center role as the piano falls away. The sounds drift through the audience and evoke different feelings and emotions. Although this music seems to lack something in its fragility, it is still very powerful.

Nice stuff.
  • edited December 2011
    1440439739-1.jpg

The digital release of The Door in the Wall, as reviewed at musicisgood.org, has just landed at bandcamp. $5. Recommended. You can get the story on which it was based, to read alongside it, here.
  • 2937193522-1.jpg
    Idiosyncratics Records Compilation - Idioscapes - (2007)

- "Compilation featuring Janek Schaefer, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Critikal, Rapoon, KK Null, Charlemagne Palestine, Steffen Basho-Junghans, S
  • 2581192856-1.jpg

This has to be pretty much the quintessential description of an album that would interest an emuser:
    Recorded in a cathedral, brilliant classical organist Hans-Günther Wauer and world-class percussionist Günter "Baby" Sommer summon a series of cosmic drones, hypnotic soundscapes, and spiralling cascades of echoing notes. It evokes vintage Tangerine Dream and Popol Vuh, while remaining simply sui generis.

The Destination:Out Bandcamp store is one of the coolest things to happen in music this year, as far as I'm concerned.
  • edited December 2011
    3742862332-1.jpg
    - Free for an email.

a_pushkin.jpg
    "By 2010, Alexey Pushkin's work as Analog Concept has established him as a leading thinker in the realm of electronic music. Utilizing tools from decades past, Pushkin has successfully created vision after vision of music's future. Sometimes his visions are desolate lands of minimalism, and sometimes they are rich and sprawling jungles, diverse in sound and mood. One thing that remains constant is this artist's ability to create music that is simultaneously tributary and groundbreaking.

A. Pushkin's work has previously been published (as Analog Concept) on fine labels such as Digitalis, Stunned Records, Anathema Sound, and Holy Cheever Church. Through both his solo work and his contributions to Vega Stereo, Alexey Pushkin perpetually redefines his environment, the 'electronic genre'."

- Avant Archive 2010.
  • 310016881-1.jpg
    Cobra Ensemble + Christian Wolff - Christian Wolff: Edges

Christian Wolff: percussion, harmonica, voice
    Matt Smiley: bass, percussion
    Eric Andrews: electronics, percussion
    Trevor Smith, percussion
    Paul Elwood: banjo
    Thaddeus Bromstrup: guitar
    Geoff Taylor: violin
    Jory Tindall: sax, flute
    Danielle Kimball: voice, accordian
    Matt Coyle: percussion
    Marty Kenney: guitar
    Bernie Brink: keyboard
    - Christian Wolff Biography.
  • edited December 2011
    1341619079-1.jpg
    Jerome Faria - 17:14

"Jerome Faria (b. 1983), also known as NNY, his usual recording and performing alias, is a Portuguese sound and visual artist. His music is described as “a complex experiment in sound dissection, as Jerome pursues pure forms of sound composition, some being harsh and brute while others are harmonious and contemplating.” His work has been presented across Europe, Asia and the United States at festivals such as DECIBEL (USA), STORUNG (ES), EME, OLHARES DE OUTONO and MADEIRADIG (PT) and released by record labels such as Editions NIkO (JP), Enough, Test Tube, MiMi and Almasud (PT). His performances and collaborations include notable artists such as Alva Noto, Murcof, Fennesz, Frank Bretschneider and Vladislav Delay among many others."
  • From Twitter:
    all pillowdiver releases on bandcamp are free/pay what you want for the next few days... http://pillowdiver.bandcamp.com/
  • 4249726972-1.jpg
    Do The Boats Dream Of Electric Fritz Pfleumer?

We were asked to make an album for the Slaapwel label/project. The concept is to create “music that soundtracks the thin border between being asleep and lying awake”. This was a bigger challenge than expected. Our first attempts didn’t really achieve the results we wanted and were a little too exciting to induce slumber. A new method of looking at this project was needed and it took us a little time to curate the ideas to form a working method.

EU 5. I'm fast becoming a fan of The Boats.
  • 1384600452-1.jpg

More good Ukrainian prog-post-metal-with-violins from Nice Wings, Icarus
  • edited December 2011
    - Great news from Vincent Fug
  • edited December 2011
    359215933-1.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    Pleasant free various artists comp from First Word Records on bandcamp. Seems to be a mix of reggae/soul/hiphop/funk/dub. Some of it's not my thing but there are a few nice tracks. Free download for an email.

3669895091-1.jpg