Bandcamp Goodies

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I just got this email from Low Point:
    Hello All,

For the next 48 hours, digital downloads at the Low Point Bandcamp store
    are available on a 'name your price' basis.
    Be as generous or as miserly as you wish!
    http://lowpoint.bandcamp.com

All the best

Gareth, Low Point
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for the heads up, Brighternow. If anyone does not have Near And Faraway by Fabio Orsi & Seaworthy, here's your chance to grab it cheap - I bought it already at regular price, and it's great.

I've been listening to the other albums on sale and a lot of it doesn't grab me, to be honest (I have, for instance, other stuff by Kyle Bobby Dunn and Christopher Hipgrave, but the titles here lacked direction to my ear. Machinefabriek is another familiar name, but I generally struggle to tune in to his stuff.). Too much muddily melancholy murk.

Transmission Hue by Nickolas Mohanna does have some punch though and a nice analog kosmische edge - I think I'll grab that (might appeal to those who like Jonas Reinhardt or Emeralds).
  • edited June 2011
    163317212-1.jpg
    Really good singer-songwriter in the vein of Malcolm Holcomb or Otis Taylor. Aggressive, raw, biting lyrics with a slight bluesiness. Highly Recommended.

FREE for email
  • edited June 2011
    Here's another one - I'm doing a search for, uh, something completely unrelated, and for some reason I decide to check this out, and it turns out to be this nearly-fantastic guitar-pop album that some guy named Eric is giving away for free. (For an e-mail address.) It sort of sounds a bit like TMBG, The Bongos, The Archies, and Stiff-era Nick Lowe all thrown into a blender in the hopes of creating a strawberry smoothie, but.. it works! It actually tastes like a strawberry smoothie.

2645228364-1.jpg

A real find, if I do say so myself.
  • Two thumbs up for the above recc by Scissor Man, although he forgot to throw Robyn Hitchcock into that strawberry smoothie.
  • edited June 2011
    @Denver (from way back on Jan 2011; Page 4)

I just came across the David Berkeley bandcamp page, searched it here, and saw your original post...
    While living in a 35-person village in the mountains of Corsica, David Berkeley wrote the most haunting and powerful music of his life. Upon returning to the U.S., he began recording a collection of these songs. The result, to be released on JANUARY 25, 2011, is Berkeley’s 4th studio album, Some Kind of Cure, rich with the images from that Mediterranean island and even the sounds of the village church bell and Corsican singers that David recorded while there.

Sometimes quiet as Iron & Wine or the late Woven Hand, sometimes a fuller sound, maybe like Josh Ritter or Ray LaMontagne.

This is the first time I've tried to post an image here as a link. I tried it out first on BBCode playground; I hope I got it right.

It really is quite pretty. It doesn't look like he's selling the album on Bandcamp as far as I can tell, but he is streaming the whole thing...

http://davidberkeley.bandcamp.com/

The drummer, Kevin O'Donnell, is quite a big deal on the Chicago theater scene and put out a couple decent straight ahead jazz album with his Quality Six, which included Andrew Bird in the ensemble. Delmark albums, if I recall.
  • edited June 2011
    Simon Little...

He's a bass player. His bio...
    Perhaps best known as the bassist with The Divine Comedy and Duke Special, he also tours regularly with Clare Teal and Maggie Reilly. As a jazz bass player he plays with Kate Eden, Lea Delaria, Ian Shaw, and Nina Ferro. Simon has also played and recorded with Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, A Girl Called Eddy, Chris Difford, Jamie Cullum, Liane Carroll, Beth Rowley, Ben Folds, Norma Winstone, Claire Martin, Pee Wee Ellis, Boo Hewerdine, Ryan Edwards, Alan Barnes, Polly Gibbons, Symeon Cosburn, Newton Faulkner, Sarah Moule, Julie McKee and The Ronnie Scott’s Allstars amongst others.

It's not mentioned in there, but he was also a member of the Duckworth Lewis Method, which wrote this neat jangly album themed after, shit, I forget exactly, cricket or rugby, I think.

He also does this solo bass with electronics ambient drone thing. For instance, this album...

1227187793-1.jpg

It definitely has its moments. Harlequin Romance definitely stands out. I've listened to it a few times now and the enjoyment hasn't ebbed. It's five euros. He has some other albums which I haven't moved on to yet, but they appear to be NYOP. Also, check out the blog on his site. There's some interesting stuff there, including helpful tips to musicians using Bandcamp.

He'll be offering a free track from the above album as the AAJ dotd. I have him tentatively slotted for Saturday (the Fringes) July 9th, but it won't be another day or two before I solidify that.

http://music.simonlittlebass.com/album/the-knowledge-of-things-to-come
  • Jonahpwll - it was cricket. I certainly won't try to explain cricket, but I will say that Duckworth Lewis Method is a formulae that is used to decide who is winning when a one day game has been disrupted by weather. Complex even to understand for those of us like me who have some understanding of the game - even team captains have been known to get it wrong occasionally.
  • Indeed, The Duckworth Lewis Method ended up being one of my five favorite albums of last year - the guy on the right is Neil Hannon from The Divine Comedy, and the guy on the left is Thomas Walsh, from Pugwash, who are signed to Andy Partridge's Ape House label.

300x300.jpg

Admittedly, this is off-topic.
  • edited July 2011
    40072549-1.jpg
    Two People In A Room - Wrapped In Plastic

- Oh Man ! ! !
  • (Okay, I give up trying to find an image of this fucking album cover)

Clark - "The Day Before the Fall"

http://clark.bandcamp.com/album/the-day-before-the-fall

For fans of David Kilgour and Kings of Convenience and Simon & Garfunkel.

It's eight bucks, so not really a deal, but it's a pretty sounding album.
  • What about the one right there on the page?

2400930545-1.jpg

Craig
  • edited July 2011
    I don't know how to grab it off the page and put it in a post. All I know how to do is google image and copy the url.
  • In Windows, just right click the image and select "copy image address" (Opera) or "copy image location" (Firefox) (Don't know for IE - not using it).
  • edited July 2011
    2400930545-1.jpg
    ______
    You had one curly bracket instead of a square one. - Mutex.
  • edited July 2011
    3322021911-1.jpg

Helpfully descriptive title: this is indeed an "Instrumental/Post-Rock Compilation". Some variety of style, uneven, some quite good tracks. NYOP/no minimum. Track 9 is by the rather good Double Handsome Dragons, from their recent release.
  • Is it just me, or does that "Cheery Wave" cover look like one of amclark2's paintings? Though less colorful and more primitive, of course.
  • @ScissorMan it's not just you - I had exactly the same thought as I was posting it. Almost mentioned it as another point in the album's favor...
  • edited July 2011
    - From one of the most passionate and intense performers/artists/composers on this planet:
    676074331-1.jpg

'The Bellow Switch' features the remarkable sounds of Sarah Kenchington's mechanical instruments. All the instruments were played by Sarah, and the sounds were then recorded, edited and arranged by Daniel Padden."
  • edited July 2011
    3241607373-1.jpg

Opaque Glitter by Leonardo Rosado

Found via Ambient Music Blog. Shifting ambient sounds with a kind of a faint clattering backdrop (or, as the album page would have it, "a contrast between the harshness of noise and the sweetness of melody that mirrors the intricacies of life itself"). Well detailed. Some strings. Really rather nice. NYOP on Bandcamp with a note that monies go to the artist, but the page also has a link to the same album at the archive, so there is explicit invitation to free download too. Cross-posted to free stuff thread.
  • Monotronaut is a post-rock outfit from Portland, non-ambient, mostly "glitch"/trip-hoppy instrumentals (with some "found" voices and vocal samples). Not my usual thing, but it's very well done and absolutely free.

1970898624-1.jpg
  • so this bandcamp thing is kind of a neat service, i'm discovering.
  • edited July 2011
    stumbled on it when dirty beaches made all of his out-of-print stuff available on the bandcamp site a few days ago. the site has a bunch of titles from what i thought were cassette-only labels, e.g., italian beach babes; night people records.

i haven't downloaded anything from the site yet. i wonder if downloading from bandcamp will be as easy for me as downloading at emusic, or as frustrating and painful for me as downloading at, say, 7digital.
  • They don't require you to use a special "downloader" application, if that's what you mean - if you actually buy something, they send you straight to a page with a download link on it. For free tracks that require an e-mail address, they send you an e-mail with a link to the page with the download link... I mean, it's not difficult or anything, but since it's pay-as-you-go the process can get to be annoyingly repetitive very quickly if you buy a lot of stuff.

They promised a shopping cart feature a few months ago, but it's still vaporware I'm afraid. I haven't seen/heard them say anything about maintaining funds in an account, but I wouldn't expect them to go that route anyway.
  • i meant the difficulties i've had downloading items with a variety of services other than emusic and itunes (e.g., i download, have to burn the digital songs to a disc, erase the digital songs from my hard-drive, then re-import them again -- this time permanently -- from the disc).

noticing that it's very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on bandcamp, but maybe that's a problem that's more magnified for me since i'm unfamiliar with bandcamp's site layout.
  • i download, have to burn the digital songs to a disc, erase the digital songs from my hard-drive, then re-import them again -- this time permanently -- from the disc
    Daniel, I find this an almost shockingly bizarre situation - when you download tracks from one of the offending services, what happens when you attempt to load and play them? Do you just have initial difficulty in iTunes, or do other software players have trouble too? (E.g. try VLC or winamp - those are good lightweight alternate players useful to have around, for testing or quick plays without putting them in your iTunes lib.)

Is this bad behavior due to bad syncing of the service's download manager into iTunes? You should be able to turn that off. Frankly, I don't see how the procedure you describe could actually be necessary - it just doesn't make sense.
  • They promised a shopping cart feature a few months ago, but it's still vaporware I'm afraid. I haven't seen/heard them say anything about maintaining funds in an account, but I wouldn't expect them to go that route anyway.

i don't know why bandcamp will not will not do this. ITUNES LETS YOU KEEP MONIES IN AN ACCOUNT! bandcamp should invest in some accounting software ,ITUNES LETS YOU KEEP MONIES IN AN ACCOUNT!.bandcamp policy of not rolling over monies in a shopping car ,will cost them customers .
  • i agree, it doesn't make sense. after i download, the tracks play (in itunes) when i double-click on the actual folder where the songs are located. but when i then go and click the songs from my itunes window -- which is how i normally call them up to be played -- i get a "cannot locate this file" message, requiring me to go back into the "my computer" box where the songs are actually stored. that's why i go thru the procedure i set forth above, which eliminates the problem.

that's the problem, in a nutshell; hope i'm describing it right.
  • Only problem I've had with Bandcamp is that sometimes in Opera browser you have to refresh the download page to get the download link to show.