Quote du jour . . .

edited January 2013 in Fight Club
Once upon a time there was a thread like this on the other board. This is an attempt to give it new life:

From the other board:
“To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra”

- Kurt Vonnegut
[/quote]:-)

Comments

• "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but, in practice, there is."
  • The quote I live by:
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

-Shakespeare

Of course the character who said that (Polonius in Hamlet) was one of the biggest blowhards Shakespeare ever wrote, but still!

Craig
  • edited January 2013
    "If the drone of your fridge stopped, you’d consider it broken. You might even call someone to get it fixed.
    Learn to love drones."

- John Cage.
  • "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
  • " Alas, Britney did not make the cut." -- GP
  • "No comment." - some guy who didn't want to talk about it.
  • "No comment." - some guy who didn't want to talk about it.
    I've been that guy before!

Craig
  • edited January 2013
    I'm not in the right frame of mind for this...spent the afternoon working on a draft of an encyclopedia article on Comenius, and included this quote, which I think is a good one, if not as snappy as Groucho and not quite the same genre as the others here:
    Firstly, the expressed wish is for full power of development into full humanity not of one particular person, but of every single individual, young and old, rich and poor, noble and ignoble, men and women – in a word, every being born on earth, with the ultimate aim of providing education to the entire human race regardless of age, class, sex and nationality.
    John Amos Comenius (1592-1670), Pampaedia.

(I hope I'm not hijacking the thread with ponderous erudition, it's just that I did spend all afternoon looking for just the right quotations...and this is definitely the quote of the day in my mental world right now).
  • edited January 2013
  • A friend emailed me this quote tonight:

At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political ideas.
    -- Aldous Huxley
    I'm afraid Aldous forgot about the greatest universal justifier of all time: Greed.
  • "la la la la la la la la" - Iggy Pop
  • "Well, Kurt, so fucking what - then don't be a rock star you asshole." - Courtney Love
  • "The only common denominator between music and dance is TIME."
    - John Cage.
  • To Do is to Dare

The slogan from Tottenham Hotspur, my football club
  • edited January 2013
    "Sing while you may".
    - Edward Ka-Spel.
  • Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!
  • "The present day composer refuses to die"
    - Edgar Varese, adopted by Frank Zappa on the Freak Out album.
  • edited January 2013
    We are all created equal.
    - Barack Obama (and many others before him)
  • edited January 2013
    No matter where you go, there you are
    Confucius
  • "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    Douglas Adams
  • edited January 2013
    Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
    Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
    Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop?
    Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?
    - Barry Mann
    - You know I mean it from the bottom of my boogity boogity boogity shoo
  • edited January 2013
    Do mi so mi do, do mi do mi do, fa, fa, fa ,fa
    -- Philip Glass
  • You don't know what you got until you loose it
    - John Lennon in What You Got.
  • It's Not the Bullet that Kills You (It's the Hole)
    - Laurie Anderson.
  • "You don't miss your water till your well runs dry
    and you have to drink your cheap shit scotch straight up"
    Mr V.
  • edited January 2013
    Faced with sad music, laugh. Faced with witty music, cry. Faced with your own music, sabotage it.
    - John Cage.
  • You gotta hear this one song, it'll change your life I swear
    - Sam (played by Natalie Portman)
  • A change of heart or of values without a practice is only another pointless luxury of a passively consumptive way of life
    Wendell Berry
  • The idea that a strong man should react to great personal and national calamities by a slight compression of the lips and by silently throwing his cigarette into the fireplace is of very recent origin.
    Dorothy L Sayers (quoted by Steven Pinker in The Better Angels of our Nature)