Bandcamp Goodies

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Nice Butcher find. I'd already bought that from emusic, but great that people can access Butcher's music more easily.

Here's a fine English electro-acoustic improv label that just formed a bandcamp presence. Many fine releases from prominent musicians working in that field:

Cathnor Recordings

logo.png

ETA: Unfortunately, the owner just told me he'd soon be removing the bandcamp page in lieu of a new online site, so perhaps browse quickly!
  • 999278361-1.jpg

Aaron Dilloway (of Wolf Eyes) - Siena

NYOP/free at bandcamp.

Also there's a bunch of Hanson Tapes that were pretty hard to find up on the same bc page for sale.
  • edited March 2013
    1961876229-1.jpg
    There’s little doubt that Marnie Stern lives up to her reputation as “the lady who shreds,” but for Marnie, shredding is not enough. After putting out three critically-acclaimed albums, Marnie could have gotten away with putting out another album filled with her richly layered sound, singular frenetic finger tapping and almost philosophical lyrics. However, as anyone who has given her last few albums a good listen can tell, Marnie is not one to stand still. Instead she attacks her musical evolution with full frontal bravado, reveling in musical risk instead of relaxing in the comforts of the known. For Marnie, musical possibility drives her ambition.

Her new album, The Chronicles of Marnia, finds Marnie not only working with a new drummer (Oneida’s Kid Millions), but also passionately subtracting from her normally dense song structures to craft a sound that is both familiar and wholly original... Her trademark exuberant guitar work is still present, in fact, absent a few layers of grit, it’s even more evident. “We stripped away a lot of the layers and a lot of unnecessary interweaving guitar parts. There’s less clutter and more of staying on a part without adding too much instrumentation.”
  • I'm listening to the Butcher and despite significant differences it sort of reminds me of something my friends and I all loved way back in the day called "Inside" by Paul Horn.
  • edited March 2013
    http://quietevenings.bandcamp.com/album/impressions
    Impressions by Quiet Evenings. Two long tracks of vaporous, gurgling, serene, majestic, cosmic analogue music. Nice stuff. $7 at Bandcamp.
  • edited March 2013
    deleted
  • 2805125464-1.jpg
    Nice new release from Pillow Garden, with production by Jason Corder (offthesky).
  • edited April 2013
    Excellent experimental / ambient from Peoples Republic of China:
    3137258019-1.jpg 513634120-1.jpg

Zen_Lu.jpg
    - "Zen Lu,experimental/electronic musician,sound artist,founder of We Play! Records and Neo Sound new art group and events curator. He’s one of the founders of ChoP, a musical project between China and Poland. Zen Lu is also a member of N2 New Media Art Lab, working and residing in Shenzhen, PRC.
    Early 2007, Zen Lu founded Shenzhen independent label ‘We Play! Records’ and organizing events with artists from all over the world as well as. Apart from these,he composing music for dramas and movies.
    Zen Lu’s minute, meticulous and minimalist digital music style as well as events organized by him and his label has played a major role in bringing a new wave of art activities to Shenzhen, for which the latter has been long considered a cultural desert."

- Also @ Audiotong
  • 136504954-1.jpg

Die On Planes - Our Work Matters

NYOP
    Brisbane's dumbest band ever, however, more of a physics experiment than a band.
  • TH.jpg

Trojan Horse - Trojan Horse

I came across this totally awesome program metal album completely by accident but I'm loving it.

Here's what they say about themselves:
    Trojan Horse. We listened to a load of King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Yes LPs, and dragged the 70s kicking and screaming through the subsequent decades, whilst cutting away all the 20 minute keyboard solos and ditching the capes. Rolling that ball of musical joy, further forward in time to create a genre snowball effect. Until we landed, ready to sculpt the mass of noise into beautiful shapes.

That sounds about right.

NYOP/free- highly recommended
  • 757627375-1.jpg

The American Dollar- Awake in the City

This is NYOP at present dont think it will be for long

2588205377-1.jpg

Ben Woods- This Digital Horizon

NYOP
  • 6030760-1.jpg

Some very nice shimmery guitar loopiness, NYOP.
  • Sunn O))) (like, ALL OF IT)
  • a2547804620_2.jpg

Seems the American Dollar are letting one album a month NYOP, great post rock
  • a4144855996_2.jpg

Winter's Fire by The Ashes Of Piemonte
    The Ashes Of Piemonte, "Winter's Fire", is a seamlessly collaborative effort between Wil Bolton(Cheju), and Lee Anthony Norris(Norken). Working from their respective homes in the UK and Italy, the two have woven together a moody, cinematic homage to the historical tragedy known as the Massacre Of Piemonte. Inspired also by the famous poem by John Milton, "On The Late Massacre In Piedmonte", this is a spatially atmospheric blend of organic synthy electronics, melancholic field recordings and sampled voice overs, that suits the somewhat darkly medieval subject matter perfectly.

Lovely. GBP 7
  • New track from Wu Tang Clan for Free/NYOP, plus you can get it on vinyl for NYOP ($0.50 minimum) plus shipping:

Link.

Craig
  • edited May 2013
    Very nice free Wood and Wire comp. - (the label with Textile Audio):
    a2300618880_2.jpg
    http://woodandwire.com.au/
    Wood & Wire is a digital record label, promoting experimentation in Australian music across all genres
  • a1799297478_2.jpg
    Free, and there's one more . . .
  • edited June 2013
    a0417574527_2.jpg

NYOP at Bandcamp
    tags: african africazz jazz jazz fusion african music blues blues rock mexican rock world fusion Mexico
  • edited June 2013
    I have probably posted this before, but it is just so brilliant !
    a4290885482_2.jpg
    "21 minutes of trance-y minimal electronics mixed with subtly manipulated choral voices.
    Meditative, but slightly disturbing at times."

Randy Greif Biography
  • From Bandcamp blog:
    20130612-bandcamp-embedded-players-new.jpg?w=600&h=513
    We’ve just launched a bunch of beautiful new players for you, your fans and the press to embed across the web. They’re simple, customizable, free, and completely focused on your music. . . . .
  • edited June 2013
    a0606632309_2.jpg

... and darkness came by Various

87 tracks (note: download is 600MB+) including e.g. Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds, Marcus Fischer, Simon Scott, loscil, Kane Ikin, Kreng, Machinefabriek, Hammock, Peter Broderick, Antonymes, offthesky, Hauschka, Rafael Anton Irisarri, Erik Skodvin, Max Richter, Dustin O'Halloran, Ian Hawgood, Talvihorros, etc, etc, etc, etc. $10 with 100% of sale price going to Doctors Without Borders and The Humane Society. Think of it as equivalent to around 7 or 8 full albums and that's an excellent price.
    This colossal compilation has been curated by Headphone Commute to benefit all of those affected by Hurricane Sandy, the largest Atlantic hurricane on record, which has devastated portions of the Caribbean, Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern United States in late October 2012. 100% of all the proceeds generated from the sale of this album will be donated towards two charitable organizations: Doctors Without Borders and The Humane Society. The artists on the release have been hand-picked to showcase the world's top talent in ambient, modern classical, and experimental music. The unprecedented selection features many unreleased pieces composed exclusively for the cause.
  • edited June 2013
    They haven't worked out the bugs from those new bandcamp players. In the past, I could embed one track from the album playlist. Now, it just keeps on playing the other album songs after the first song is done playing. I've notified them about it, but they haven't got back to me yet.

That said, I like some of the formats they're offering.
  • a2984817471_2.jpg

Decay by Pillowdiver
    recorded live @noisegate Zentralcaf
  • edited August 2013
    a0344828263_2.jpg
    - "In May, 2013, David Alsemgeest asked some musician friends if they would be willing to compose a piece of music that he could use to honor his son Rey's life. In April of 2010, four-year-old Rey had been diagnosed with Batten Disease (also known as Spielmeyer-Vogt-Sjögren-Batten disease) a rare, fatal autosomal recessive neurodegenerative disorder. Nearly eight now, Rey continues his struggle against Batten's.

All tracks are free to be enjoyed by everyone. If you'd like to buy tracks or the album, it's completely optional, however all proceeds will go straight to help David with Rey's healthcare.

This album is dedicated with love to Rey and David Alsemgeest by the musicians and friends who appear here."

1. Edward Ka-Spel - A New Dawn 04:19
    2. Stret Majest Alarme - Ascent to Angels 04:07
    3. Michael Marshall - Song For Rey 03:36
    4. April White - Chaucer Lawson 05:14
    5. Orbit Service - Don't Worry 04:57
    6. BSI - Steps (for Rey) 04:57
    7. Four Dimensional Nightmare - Electromagnetic Interactions 04:57
    8. Lemurian Congress - Rey Lines 01:26
    9. Kris Nelson - Rey of Light 03:20
    10. Ancient, Inc. - You Are the One to Change Things 03:16
    11. RyN - Personagrata 03:43
    12. Pat White - Rey's Blues 05:11
    13. Chanting Snakes - La Ofrenda Danzante 07:05
  • a4190743934_2.jpg

Piotr Kurek - Lectures
    This was released in 2009 but has just been added as a NYOP on bandcamp.
  • a4067835284_2.jpg

Oh so pretty. Lage is a (very) young and talented jazz guitarist, and Eldridge is a member of the Punch Brothers.
  • a3581644939_2.jpg

Good Weather for an Airstike are having a flash sale till Saturday all music is NYOP
  • Bill Mallonee has been offering a few of his albums as "pay what you feel like" on BandCamp. Today's is Locket of Moonlight, the UK version (my American version is only ten songs, not sure what the bonus material is). Mallonee is a singer/songwriter in the "Americana" category, usually listed on typical top songwriter lists. Fronted Vigilantes of Love, this album is reminiscent of that band.

Worth a listen, grab a copy while it is free.
  • a1271617671_2.jpg

Kid Koala - Scratchcratchcratchatch.

I'm absolutely overjoyed to have found this. I've been looking for a legitimate and/or decent sound quality copy of this for a good 15 years, and making due with not so good copies. It's one of those things I would just periodically search for to see if there was a better version. So last night I found it, on Kid Koala's own bandcamp page, for NYOP! An absolute classic Mixtape/beat tape.

Wikipedia says:
    Scratchcratchratchatch is the debut mixtape of turntablist Kid Koala. There were reports of only 500 copies released initially.[1], but it was picked up by Ninja Tune records. They continue to sell it in its original format as a cassette tape. Due to heavy use of unlicensed samples, the cassette has a label with 'for promotional use only' printed on it.

Scratchcratchratchatch_%28Kid_Koala_mixtape%29_cover_art.jpg

[/I'm well aware though that I may be the only person in the world who cares this much, and that the initial run of 500 may have been more than enough.]