WTF

Comments

• This is a top ten track in the US? It's. So. Bad.

I can't even...

Craig
  • Eh. At least some musical instruments were played in the making of that song.

I am forming the impression that, to today's special young snowflakes, "Rude" may have a catch-all meaning along the lines of "Thing that isn't exactly what I would like." Was called rude the other day by a girl after I shushed her for talking on her cell phone in the library.
  • Rude means you intruded into my Zone of Total Autonomy.
  • (She also told me, "This is America!")
  • @Craig
    I feel like Sheldon. I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. That is not a bad song compared to what usually passes for music these days. I figure anybody who can play and sing their pseudo reggae in tune is entitled to a pass. They will probably win a grammy.

@Doofy
    Snowflakes indeed. They are all special little individuals aren't they! Welcome to my hell, I feel like I have been shushing the world for a good 10 years now.

@GP
    Dude, you should totally start a new thread titled "ZTA"

@Amclark
    What more is there to say
  • edited June 2014
    @Doofy, ah, my bad, it was her Unilateral Sphere of Autonomy. But, @jUj, that might be an ambiguous topic for a thread. (Would a ZTA thread be one in which anyone can post anything without regard to anyone else? Don't we have those already?)
  • @GP

I'm confused, I thought that was the only reason to post.

If I want to practice my manners I'll go to the local rotary club meeting. ;+)
  • edited June 2014
    me01e9.jpg?
  • Not the most WTF-y thing you will read today, but here a few reviews from 1980 of recent Punk rock records written by Chuck Berry. Describing The Ramones' "Sheena is a Punk Rocker," Berry said "A good little jump number. These guys remind me of myself when I first started, I only knew three chords too."
  • edited June 2014
    Wanted to check out the last.fm entry on The The and had a serious WTF moment with their search results. As always when searching on last.fm it gives you artists it associates with your search in order of the number of listeners each artist has. Apparently, when searching 'the the', it associates EVERY artist with 'the' in the name. So, on page 23, between The Dears and Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, I finally found the band that matched perfectly with my search terms.

An even bigger WTF, however, is the fact that the first result was The Killers. Second was The Rolling Stones, and third was The Beatles. Yes, more last.fm users have scrobbled The Killers than the Stones or Beatles.

Sigh.
  • I'm at Dave and Buster's. Lord, help me.
  • I love this so much.

AOrz56D.gif

Craig
  • Why Classic Rock Isn’t What It Used To Be. This is a personal WTF since almost all these songs came out in my jr high / high school years. I am not at all sure when I got old, or at least the target of mass media.
  • That's cold, Doofy!

Craig
  • AARP is listing the contents of my iPod as the 25 Must-Have Albums. I was expecting more Pat Boone or Lawrence Welk....not Jimi Hendrix
  • I only own one of those albums. This means I am not old. I now plan to avoid acquiring any of them, and will thereby avoid becoming old.
  • I have 6. I guess I'm quite a bit older than you, GP.

Craig
  • I own 14, but of those 14, 9 were released before I was born. Oh but I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now.
  • edited July 2014
    I have one on vinyl (Revolver), one on CD (Pet Sounds), and one as MP3s-only (Tapestry). I vaguely recall having a copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on vinyl about 30 years ago, but I forget if I sold it or just dropped it off at the Salvation Army...

The Baby Boomer retirement wave is just beginning. I would expect to see a lot more "best of" lists from the AARP in the not-too-distant future, along with helpful tips on how you can still listen to them even after you forget how to use your computer, CD player, or turntable due to the effects of advanced age.
  • I have 18 - many bought when released. Helps you guess my age.
  • I can honestly say I bought 17 of those artists, although quite a few were well established before I came along. I would trade my Elton John Records for Patsy Cline now.
  • bremble - Even more telling is the fact that I only have the first 16, all on Vinyl. The very idea of 20 albums being "essential" is absurd. That doesn't even scratch the surface. "Where's Ludwig Van?", as my droogs used to say, and while on the subject what about Walter/Wendy Carlos? Of course it's facile for any of us to roll off several dozen albums that are at least as "essential" as those listed. If I was to be shipwrecked on some hypothetical island, I'd prefer 20 albums I'd never heard before. Rubber Soul was the first album I ever bought. I played Rubber Soul so many times I don't need to put the needle in the groove anymore to hear it.
  • The KKK left fliers (and candy!) on the driveways of a neighborhood in South Carolina. Some of the driveways belong to minorities.
    "I mean, we can't tell who lives in a house, whether they're black, white, Mexican, gay, we can't tell that," Robert Jones, a high ranking member, told WHNS. "And if you were to look at somebody's house like that, that means you'd be pretty much a racist."

WTF

WTF

Craig
  • If I were the maker of Smarties I'd sue those Dum Dums for handing out my candy.
  • OK - I admit 17, and I too had most on first release, and several artists there I've got alternatives. I wouldn't have included, eg, greatest hits albums. A number I have bought twice - LP and CD, and at least two I have had three copies because I've bought the remastered CD too. But I do disagree with the list - Forever Changes by Love surely must be there?
  • edited July 2014
    Craig:
    Wanted to check out the last.fm entry on The The
    The way I usually go directly to band pages with names like that is to click through one artist on my page, then substitute the url, since I know the search will be frustrating.

(love the The, btw, wonder what Matt Johnson's up to.)