What are you listening to right now? (Homer Simpson Discovered Higgs Boson 14 Years Before CERN)

Comments

• edited April 2015

Oh What Love

On Friday evening my six year old granddaughter wanted to go to see this choir after they had performed in her school that day. So, of course, we went and granddad ended up buying her this CD! The choir is mainly made up of orphan children from Uganda, half way through a six month World tour.

• Patina album cover

My first download from this week's Jazz Picks from Jonah

• edited April 2015

I actually bought music on Record Store Day!  (Bargain CDs, just happened to be in the neighborhood, and it wasn't too crowded.  But still...)
  • The Magic Box

• Sonic Youth » Dirty (Deluxe Edition)
  • Walking The Past cover art
    Streaming on bandcamp.  Totally out of my usual listening repertoire, but I heard a song by this artist on an 8Tracks playlist that caught my ear enough to listen to their album.  Bandcamp tags: electronic martial ambient ebm rythmic techno ww2 Denmark.

• Moving on from Goataholic (got halfway through that album.  It was okay, but 25 minutes was plenty enough for me.

Oh yeah.  I'm liking this a lot better:  
    The Raven's Sun
    Probably would have been a contender to make my best of 2014 list if I had known about it then.

@Greg - just saw your comment about Laylam - I didn't realize you had posted it earlier.  That's what happens when you drop out of emusers for even a little bit - you miss some posts that are of real interest to you.
  • "Goataholic" is about the best band name I have heard lately.

Meanwhile, more Roscoe Mitchell:

• edited April 2015
    After 10 minutes of Goataholic (not really my cup of tea):
    Hemmelig Tempo means something like Secret pace.
  • I meant to add re my comments last night that after initial dismissive feelings towards yet another version, I am really loving the Concerto Italiano recording of the four seasons. The summer thunderstorms make the other ones I have heard pale by comparison, and there are lots of other fun if unorthodox moments.
  • @GP, I can't remember if I mentioned this already, but the 4 Seasons performed by the Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble is also a must-have.  It's another one of the freshest, most delightful and energetic interpretations you'll ever hear.  It's an old 1984 Bis album.

• @GP - I usually look right over recordings of 4 Seasons because I already have several versions (the Bis album being among them), and I always have the preconceived idea that there is nothing to be gained by getting yet another version.

However, your comments about the Concerto Italiano recording made me take a closer look at it, and after listening to the summer sample, I'm sure you're right about this one.  I would have ordered it immediately, but I'm thinking I might possibly already have it at home still unheard in a box set I purchased years ago, since I have a lot of Concerto Italiano stuff.  I put this in my Amazon wish list and will definitely order it if I don't find it at home already.  If I do have it, it will be a nice surprise for me.  Thanks for the input.

• edited April 2015
    @kez, 1, yes, I do have that one too, and find it enjoyable, though not quite as...surprising as the Alessandrini.

@kez, 2, hope you enjoy it. The Summer - Presto movement is remarkable for sheer fire. It's on youtube here (movements 2 and 3). I thought an Amazon reviewer captured it well saying that it was a thoroughly opinionated version, whether you agree with the opinions or not it takes bold stances at every turn, playing with tempo, harmony and texture in fresh ways. It's making me think about going back to reconsider the Alessandrini/Concerto Italiano Brandenburgs (which I recently passed over in favor of buying the Jordi Savall version, and which also shocked some reviewers).

NP:
  • @GP, I'll have to check out Concerto Italiano's Brandenburg recording, too.  Thanks for the heads up.  I already have an excellent Brandenburgs by Musica Antiqua Koln (which also shocked a lot of reviewers), and another version by Il Giardino Armonico which is very good, too, but I'm curious to check out Concerto Italiano now that you mention it.
  • Their hunting horns in the first movement are very interesting to say the least. Thanks for the other names, I will give those a listen too.
  • edited April 2015
    @kez, I should mention, if you are still using emusic beware with the Concerto Italiano Brandenburgs. It appears twice on emusic - this version is a very tempting price but several of the tracks are faulty - overall there are about 12 minutes missing. This version is the more expensive one but is actually complete.

ETA, am really liking that Musica Antiqua Köln version of the Brandenburgs. It has a very pleasing ruggedness. Thanks!
  • Vivaldi: Concerti & Cantata with Bassoon
    Thanks also for this kez, which I just belatedly found by digging back up the baroque thread. Very nice.
  • edited April 2015

Filip Gorecki - Aura and the Dark Fruit

"Documenting an epiphany, a brutal telling, something larger than fact, a spiritual landscape. All along the shores, like a silent drumbeat in the forest, the underlying spirits breathe. A collection of songs inspired by the mythos of the Pacific Northwest"

• edited April 2015
    GROENLAND RECORDS  

Thanks Rostasi . . . . And the label is on Emusic.

And Bandcamp streaming:
  • The Bis version of the Four Seasons is on the 100 Supreme album with the horrible cover: http://tinyurl.com/nrl5q7y

That alone pretty much makes it worth the $2.19 admission if you don't have it yet.
  • I think that's how I got it.
  • Wire - The Third Day

(Funny enough there's also a Christian band called Third Day with an album called Wire)
    Bob Moses » All In All

Working my way through this set while grading papers....
This discussion has been closed.