What are you listening to right now? (17 Seconds of Cicadas)

Comments

• ^^^Well, as I've pretty much stopped downloading label samplers this gives me a great opportunity to hear some different artists without having to keep incomplete albums in the library, for a steal of a deal. A worthwhile plunge indeed. Thanks again. 
    I'll start my Monday here...
    The Legendary Pink Dots

Recorded 1980-84    Under Triple Moons            2002              All The King's Men

2004                The Whispering Wall                   2006 Your Children Placate You From Premature Graves

I'm sure it'll come as no surprise that I got my introduction from @Brighternow. Thanks!!
  •  Back on the computer after a bad viral infection (at least that is what my GP called it!) that laid me low for a few days, but now nearly back to normal.

Thanks Gregg for the heads up on this one

Glad you like it Lowlife - for me Kokoroko is a really good example of the strength of modern day jazz in the UK - young, vibrant, with clear linbks through West Arican HiLife to the originas of jazz in West Africa (nothing like being contoversial there!)

When We Are

Nubya Garcia - Where We Are

• The Legendary Pink Dots (pt 2)

2008                   Plutonium Blonde                       2010    Seconds Late For The Brighton Line

2018     The Maria Sessions (Volumes 1 & 2)         2018                    8118
  • ^^You are most welcome . . .  :)

Released December 2, 2019

• New on Sahel Sounds. From the extensive 'Best Reissues" list on this blog: https://www.newcommute.net/feed/2019/11/21/albums-of-the-year-2019-comps-amp-reissues

• Ho ho ho ! . . . (ooops! sorry  :) )

Release date: 28 November 2019
  • John Cage: Concert for Piano and Orchestra
    (version: piano/viola 2/violin 2/sax & bassoon/tuba/cello/flute)

(2hr:40mn:54sec. realization created from an app)

• Billie Eilish- When we all fall asleep where do we go?

I’ve enjoyed this album a few times before now but had to pull it up again just now because she doesn’t know who Van Halen is is trending on Twitter.

It’s really very good.
  • I finally got around to a box on my floor - after nearly 11 months - 
    that had my new beautiful multitrack recorder and this 8 CD set:

• Face Value by PHIL COLLINS 1990-10-25

I was looking for something to watch on TV last night that was not politics and came accross a series on Sky Arts about the making of classic albums, specifically Phil Collins Face Values. So, of course I want to play it!!
  • edited December 2019
    Well, my wife won this CD as part of a door prize at a work event a few years ago.
    Freshly unwrapped.
    Lady Gaga

2013                       Artpop

Ps- I guess I can say that I've heard Lady Gaga now.
          I'm not sure why she became so popular. 
  • Ladytron

2001                           604                                     2005                 Witching Hour

• Haydon Thorpe - Diviner
  • Loney, Dear

2004                   Citadel Band                               2006                  Sologne

2009                    Dear John                                  2011                 Hall Music
  • @confused
    I guess I can say that I've heard Lady Gaga now.
          I'm not sure why she became so popular. 

I am sure that I have heard her but never really listened to her. Perhaps I ought?

Hello I Must Be Going by Collins Phil

• edited December 2019

Tim Hecker - Anoyo

Anoyo ("the world over there") draws from the same sessions which led to the 2018 work Konoyo but rendered starker, solemn, and stripped back, with more of a naturalist tint. Hecker's processing here moves in veiled ways, soft refractions and whispered shrouds woven within improvisational sessions of traditional gagaku interplay, evoking a sense of vaulted space, temples at dawn, shredded silk fluttering in the rafters.
    This is boldly barren music, skeletal and sculptural, shaped from wood, wind, strings, and mist. Modern yet ancient, delicate and desolate, Anoyo inverts its predecessor to compellingly conjure a parallel world of illusion, solitude, and eternal return.
    - This is album of the year material . . .
  • @Brighternow - Well, that album had nothing that really showcased her singing and the music
    was rather pedestrian. Unless my wife wins another CD I think I've heard enough.
    Lisa Hannigan

2009                       Lille                                       2009                  Sea Sew

2006                   The Cake Sale
            feat./Lisa HanniganJosh RitterNina PerssonGary LightbodyGemma Hayes,
                    Glen HansardConor DeasyNeil Hannon
  • @confused I don't know Lisa Hannigan but I am totally in love with Barbara Hannigan:

Hans Abrahamsen: Let Me Tell You
    for Soprano & Orchestra (live recording - Hannigan, Nelsons, 2015)

Barbara Hannigan, soprano
    Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Andris Nelsons
    July 3, 2015, München

• Image result for Yujun Wang and timer

Yujun Wang & Timer, Abandoned Garden eMusic link, rec'ed by u/chartreuseeye on the emusic subreddit. 

• Barbara Hannigan has always been a wonderful presence in and real champion of contemporary classical music. She's actually very engaging in person - always happy, but not in a giddy way. She was one of the nicest people I got to be around many years ago (she was in her early 30s then). During lunch or dinner, I would sometimes just watch her very lively facial expressions while she would speak - usually about something very exciting that she had just discovered that day. Here's a picture from that time:

• Brand new release - really enjoying it so far.
  • Lisa Germano

1997  OP8 Featuring The Ilk Of Lisa Germano      2003               Lullaby For Liquid Pig
                                 Slush

2006                In The Maybe World

•   
    2009                   Magic Neighbor                        2013                   No Elephants
  • Lauren Hoffman

2006                   Choreography
  • edited December 2019
    Ho ho ho ! ;)
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga1466399557_14jpg
    Christian Marclay’s Sounds of Christmas with People Like Us
    People Like Us Live at The Tate Modern, 18 December 2004, as part of the Christian Marclay Exhibit

The Sounds of Christmas is an annual project by Christian Marclay, pioneer of the experimental turntable movement and leading artist operating at the intersections of art and music. Reinventing this work-in-progress for London, the artist presented his collection of over 1,200 Christmas records as a publicly accessible archive in a special Thameside pavilion, alongside projections of the record covers and footage of previous performances. Combining blatant sentimentality with vanguard experimentation, Marclay suggests that the categories distinguishing ‘serious’ music from its opposite are both arbitrary and arcane. During the two-week installation, created live remixes of their own selection from Marclay’s Christmas records.

People Like Us perform Sounds of Christmas (live recording from desk)

These are the raw tracks that People Like Us created from Christian Marclay’s record collection, to perform live at the event.. . .
    - What a pleasure to find Vicki Bennett at Bandcamp.

ETA:
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga3563807186_14jpg
    - Some would probably call this murder. :)

• Click here to purchase full cycle or purchase individual movements below Thank you

Dr. Lomax ambitiously tells the story of Black America over the course of a 12-album cycle to be released in 2019. 400: An Afrikan Epic is divided into thirds and explores thousands of years of the history that is pre-colonial Afrika, the Ma’afa (the 400 years between 1619 and 2019), and Afro-futurism expressing a vision of what Blacks in America will heal toward in the next 400 years; a healthy, high functioning, and united block of the African diaspora. 

"Ambitious" being the winner for 2019 understatement of the year. The whole thing is available for streaming and purchase at the link above. 

Found this on a top 10 jazz list from the Denver Post - Too lazy to start a Best of 2019 thread

• edited December 2019

Gareth Davis & Scanner - Footfalls
    Miasmah, November 22, 2019

ETA:

Charles Barabé, released December 4, 2019
This discussion has been closed.