Listen before it's gone (NPR, Spin, etc)

Comments

• @GP

Same reaction to Sigur Ros. Most people, knowing my non-jazz interests, are typically surprised to learn that Sigur Ros never connected with me. I mean, I listen to 30 seconds of a song, and I think, wow, real pretty. But I can rarely listen to more than 35 seconds of a song.
  • I'm the same. The aesthetic sounds lovely in small doses, but the songs rarely work for me.
  • edited June 2012
    That Sigur Ros album is on sale for $4.99 at amazon if anyone's interested. I've never really been into them either.
  • Welcome to the enthusiastic praise of Sigur R
  • Heh. I enjoy Sigur R
  • The new Fiona Apple album is up on npr.
  • I see on twitter that the new Ravi Coltrane and, hm, I already forget who the other jazz musician is... but both their albums are up on First Listen. I'm already planning on forgetting to listen to them.

What the hell is wrong with me?
  • edited June 2012
    lorn-ask-the-dust-450.jpg
    Lorn - Ask the Dust
    - "Lorn returns with a new full-length album, his debut on Ninja Tune, and it's a huge stride forward since Nothing Else (released on Brainfeeder, June 2010). Listening back to his first album, Lorn says it now seems 'cold and strict.' Ask The Dust, on the other hand, is 'haunted, oily, smeared,' and with this description he captures something of the intensely felt, visceral aliveness of the music."
    - Forced Exposure newsletter.
  • edited August 2012
    - Oh . . . My . . .Goooood !

600x600.jpg
    Swans - The Seer
  • Shhh... don't tell brittleblood, but there's a new one on First Listen by Cat Power. Not long ago I was wondering what had happened to Chan Marshall; she just seemed to disappear. I haven't listened to this yet, but the article says it's a big departure for her.
  • Put your beanie on and listen to Jens Lekman's new album I Know What Love Isn't
  • Yes, there is a Bon Iver remix contest happening! Here's my (sort-of) brother-in-law's entry: http://awe.sm/e45Dc
  • Weird, I didn't think I'd have to choose. I already voted for Message To Bears version.

That Indaba site... it seems kinda sketchy to me. They charge for membership to enter these "contests" and, well, they don't really seem worth it. I don't know. I don't want to say predatory, because it doesn't look like Indaba is that bad, but they do seem, hm, reliant on the inexperience of its customers.

That is an opinion from someone who hasn't used them and only given them a decent look-over once, as a result of another site.
  • edited September 2012
    Cat Power's "Sun"

and Stars The North

and Animal Collective's Centipede Hz

Those last two have been up for a week, so you might want to listen to them very soon.
  • Matt Wilson's Arts And Crafts In Concert at the Village Vanguard from, like, last weekend.

This NPR page has a bunch more Vanguard/WGBO shows, the existence of which I was heretofore unawares.
  • On Spinner:
    Dum Dum Girls - End of Daze EP. Solidly in the Dream Pop category featuring reverb-drenched girls. What more could you want? More tracks!

Mumford & Sons - Babel. So far it's the same style as the previous album so you will likely love it or hate it accordingly.
  • The new Bettye LaVette album "Thankful N' Thoughtful" is being streamed on YouTube.
  • It's almost too late, but the new Tame Impala is up until tomorrow, as is a new Freelance Whales album. I used to get an email from NPR on a nearly weekly basis to remind to me go look, but now rarely get one.
  • edited November 2012
    600x600.jpg
    Tim Hecker & Daniel Lopatin - Instrumental Tourist
  • Logan Venderlic on Mountain Stage
    Sprung from the hills of rural West Virginia, Logan Venderlic weaves his own brand of modern, indie-infused hooks and applies it to contemporary Appalachian folk, dubbing the creation “Folk Wave.” Often likened to Conor Oberst, iTunes finds that Venderlic’s approach tosses Jonathan Richman and Paul Westerberg in that mix, while the Wall Street Journal simplifies it to “Tom Petty meet Appalachia.”
  • massive-attack-blue-lines-450.jpg
    - 2012 Remaster
  • edited December 2012
    Tonight Tonight !
    smashing-pumpkins-mellon-collie-and-the-infinite-sadness-450.jpg

- Wonderful album !
  • edited December 2012
    blur-parklive-450.jpg

- ETA: Hmmm ?
  • edited January 2013
    Oooops !