Listen before it's gone (NPR, Spin, etc)

Comments

• Listen to Ra Ra Riot's new album "Beta Love." Unfortunately it's a YouTube Feed.
  • edited January 2013
    Aaron Neville, 'My True Story'
    Neville blows the dust off a few Do-Wop gems and boy, do they shine. This one has been up a while so it may be on the way out.
  • I'm not sure how well known this band is, but Air Review a band from Dallas has their first album coming out very soon. You can listen to it here thanks to KXT, our local music station that plays an amazing about of indie music.
  • The new Guards album via Pitchfork. I just have to add that I really dig these full page previews Pitchfork does. The one for YLT's Fade was very cool, and so is this one.
  • edited January 2013
    First Listen: new Richard Thompson - Electric!
  • Eric "House of the Rising Sun" Burdon still going strong:

eric-burdon-450.jpg
  • edited February 2013
    TheJazzAge2012-26d3be6f7d8bab1fea9c411d420114d1f3e4b0d5-s1.jpg

Unexpected and really quite good! Instrumental songs written by Ferry, done in "jazz age" fashion. I first thought it would be him singing old jazz age songs.
  • Ah, bremble beat me to it. I highly recommend The Jazz Age. It's the cat's pajamas.
  • Nick-Cave-and-the-Bad-Seeds_CVR-6b9506bd6a44b1951ffd21c5e2e45e4d3cc6cbd7-s1.jpg

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Push the Sky Away. The contemplative and not rowdy Nick Cave.
  • edited February 2013
    Ballake Cissoko - At Peace, on NPR first listen
    ballake_kora_profile_2_wide-fef96952de11f82ed4f3d1983f1dca2680a97284-s4.jpg
  • edited February 2013
    Listen in Full to: Son Of Rogues Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys
    1. Leaving of Liverpool (Shane MacGowan w/ Johnny Depp & Gore Verbinski) – 4:01
    2. Sam’s Gone Away (Robyn Hitchcock) – 2:45
    3. River Come Down (Beth Orton) – 6:18
    4. Row Bullies Row (Sean Lennon w/ Jack Shit) – 4:08
    5. Shenandoah (Tom Waits w/ Keith Richards) – 4:03
    6. Mr. Stormalong (Ivan Neville) – 4:06
    7. Asshole Rules the Navy (Iggy Pop w/ A Hawk and a Hacksaw) – 2:04
    8. Off to Sea Once More (Macy Gray) – 5:02
    9. The Ol’ OG (Ed Harcourt) – 3:27
    10. Pirate Jenny (Shilpa Ray w/ Nick Cave & Warren Ellis) – 7:31
    11. The Mermaid (Patti Smith & Johnny Depp) – 2:25
    12. Anthem for Old Souls (Chuck E. Weiss) – 4:31
    13. Orange Claw Hammer (Ed Pastorini) – 3:18
    14. Sweet and Low (The Americans) – 3:30
    15. Ye Mariners All (Robin Holcomb & Jessica Kenny) – 4:25
    16. Tom’s Gone to Hilo (Gavin Friday and Shannon McNally) – 4:51
    17. Bear Away (Kenny Wollesen & The Himalayas Marching Band) – 5:36

Anything with Shane McGowan gets my attention.

Update: The Iggy Pop track is just bizarre.
  • Iggy Popwith A Hawk and a Hacksaw seems an unlikely combination, given that the latter have been making some version of Eastern Europeanish folk music. Will check that out. What's with Johnny Depp on some of these tracks? I know he is the Disney pirate that won't die ( and now Tonto) but really?
  • Depp was undetectable, at least to me. Given the mixed history of movie stars making music maybe that was a good thing.
  • edited February 2013
    KF_cover_web.jpg

- Nice !
  • @denver & choice - Depp was most likely playing the guitar in the song. I don't know how good he is, but he has played guitar with a number of bands over the years. I vaguely remember listening to his band P back in the 90s.
  • Thanks Thom. I didn't know Depp has a history of guitar playing that precedes his pirate playing.

Josh Ritter's new album The Beast In Its Tracks is up at NPR.
  • attn Cafreema, among others; Saw on Twitter that the new album by The Men is streaming at Pitchfork - I should say allegedly streaming, as I don't seem to be able to make it play, but presumably that will get sorted out...
  • Thanks Doofy, I saw that and am looking forward to checking it out when I hit a computer with real speakers.

I'm seeing The Men in April, so I'm extra excited for the album.

Craig
  • People, Hell and Angels by Jimi Hendrix is up on First Listen.
  • Just finished my first listen to The Men...it's not great. The album is divided into a Side 1 and Side 2 and it's clear why. The first side explores the almost alt country sound they first tried on Open Your Heart's "Candy". While I have nothing against acoustic guitars and peddle steel, The Men just aren't great at it. The second side is more what you'd expect from the band, but at least at first listen isn't up to the level of either Leave Home or Open Your Heart. Hopefully the album grows on me, but thus far I'm disappointed.

Craig
  • edited March 2013
    The new album by David Bowie "The Next Day," is streaming for free on iTunes for "a limited time"
  • It is also available here in the UK on iTunes. I hope it is still there in the morning when I will be able to listen!
  • Interview and several songs from Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell.

Guess I'm showing my age here, but I say Emmylou has still got it:
    emmylou_harris_wide-9ece55f099f8cefc7e27539376b5e21eb6382141-s40.jpg
  • @Doofy - I was driving back from a bar the other night and my companion mentioned during a musical discussion that his wife liked Emmylou Harris. I said that she is a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice.
  • @doofy - got the CD last week and was very well pleased with it.
  • The upcoming album by Wild Belle--a band I know nothing about, except that our old babysitter's son is the drummer, and she is very excited.

Wild-Belle-Main-Press-image-by-Jennifer-Tzar-620x413.jpg
  • @Doofy - That's funny, I actually saw them live last year. They opened for... I think it was Tennis.