Freshly Dropped/Discovered over at eMu

Comments

• Not available in the UK though!
  • @BigD-B... that emusic/infinite page is pretty cool.

Forget the Moody Blues suggestion... the 4th album that comes up for the Stray Cats is: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - The OMD Singles

Anyway... that page looks like a very easy way to while away some serious time discovering music on their site again. Maybe the next time I re-join eMu it'll be for longer than 45 minutes (it would've been significantly shorter than that if I hadn't had to struggle through their recent bug with the 'purchase album' button being replaced with a "Enable Download" button).
  • edited July 2012
    Infinite search results:
    Sleepy John Estes-->Bukka White, Furry Lewis and such of course, but a lot of blues players I've never heard of. Also Bill Monroe, Jean Ritchie and Leo Kottke, which are interesting connections, maybe, but not what I was looking for. I'll give it a B.
    The Raspberries-->I see that results get less accurate as you go down the page. At the top are Rockpile, Badfinger, Marshall Crenshaw. Farther down are Sloan, the Everly Brothers, Lindsey Buckingham. Still farther are Jethro Tull, Judas Priest, and the Asia XXX album. A-
    Erroll Garner-->Parker, Hawkins, Dolphy, Rollins, etc. About 15 rows down a lot of classical starts showing up for some reason. A-
    Mozart-->caused the search bar to automatically fill itself in with "Mozart | Beethoven | Chopin | Bach." The results were OK, but when I chose a Mozart album and clicked on "More like this" I got a page that in 2 or 3 lines deteriorated to things like these that make this a D:
    600x600.jpg600x600.jpg600x600.jpg600x600.jpg. D
    Hildegard von Bingen or of Bingen (tried it both ways)-->a page full of totally irrelevant trash. I guess this was pushing it beyond its limits. F

Overall? C, I guess. About what I would have guessed before trying it.
  • Today's eMu freebie is a crate digger's wet dream: "Ronn Forella….Moves!" by Thom Janusz. Great slice of 70s era smooth funk. Track 5 is free today, but the entire album is only $2.45, a bargain considering that original LPs are very rare and go for big bucks.
  • Strange label discovery - Red Devil Records/The Orchard - caught my eye because of these 2 new additions, Blues Guitar Blasters, Vol.1 and Vol.2 which have some pretty funky and trending towards obscure tunes. The label has nothing but comps, no brilliant bargains but all seem to be 25 tracks. I found what I presume to be the original of a tune called Camel Walk that my man Teisco Del Rey covered on one of his instrumental rock albums, and will now have to evaluate the rest of this unlikely looking series for similar nuggets - go figure:
    600x600.jpg
  • Anybody recall if either Enja or Pi Records was on emu previously?

Just had a substantial drop of both, especially the Pi, but I don't really want to mention that in my Tuesday/Wednesday article if, in fact, they've been around before.
  • Jonah, pretty sure Pi is new to eMu, because that was one of the main attractions of mTraks for me.

There has absolutely been some Enja on eMu previously...It was split up into different pieces, which made it hard to find what you were looking for. I think the pricing was unfavorable so I stopped looking.
  • Cool. That's how I thought it was, especially on the Enja. But I grew concerned that Pi was on there before me, dropped off for the years since I joined, then showed back up.

Cheers.
  • Just stumbled across this label, Vintage Guitar Series Phonofile, which appears to focus on the gypsy jazz guitar descendants of Django, some literally descendants. Some of the names seem familiar to me from a documentary I watched on Netflix about the annual Django festival in France, the name of which escapes me, and of course the names of the players escaped me soon after viewing it, but there was some really excellent playing. This album cover from Symphonic Django looks like some of the footage - this album just dropped, and I'm almost sure Stochelo Rosenberg was amongst the guys I saw. So heads up for any gypsy jazz guitar fans, and if I find anything notable as I get the chance to explore I'll post it.
  • Similar flavored to the above label find, Hot Club Records/Phonofile, with a smattering of other interesting stuff, like Roots of Scandinavian Blues by Nappy Brown and Knut Reiersrud. Oddly the album I found on Amazon under Vintage Guitar - Hot Club Records - The Best Of which looks like a good intro sampler for all this, is on Hot Club at eMu for slightly more (A big $0.31 but aren't they supposed to be cheaper?).
  • edited September 2012
    ?Huh? To be honest, it's too late for me to investigate this right now. Is it way cool or utter crap?

Edit - next morning - caught up with the samples and sounds good - quirky but effective combination of sounds, and et toi, they even going down the bayou some. I'm thinking I'll have to check out more of their albums.
    600x600.jpg
  • I have an album by Hesperus: they're a solid ensemble, though a little conservative, IMO. I'll listen to the samples tomorrow.
  • edited September 2012
    The samples of that Hesperus' album are wonderful, and I know why: fiddler Bruce Molsky guests on the album.

Anyway, I have noted that a number of albums from Sono Luminus have appeared (or re-appeared) recently. A few titles have peaked my interest, but I have yet to explore further. However, one seems to stand out so far:
    600x600.jpg
    It's a simple concept: bringing together two instruments that are distant cousins in order to revisit the Medieval and Renaissance repertoire. It's more elegant than fiery, more restrained than discordant. However, I am intrigued by how they got some familiar pieces, notably the Estampies, to sound.

ETA: The album succeeds best at showing what Western music might sound like with more of the musical accent of the Maghreb.

Sono Luminus I
    Sono Luminus II
  • edited September 2012
    Have to say I'm pretty excited about this one - Thank You Les - by Lou Pallo who was the second guitar chair in Les Paul's combo for some time. Also features a load of guest stars, which if you'd like to know who they are you can consult Amazon's page. I might cough up the extra just to be sure it's printed out properly.

Edit - upon further consideration I found what I'm going with - the Thank You Les DVD/CD combo - have to wait a few days for it now.
    51wNX-OgBEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited September 2012
    Hey, I found $10 under my pillow when I signed in today over there - Courtesy Credit - no explanation, no Note, no Memo, no e-mail. Yet, at any rate. Better spend it quick, in case someone hit the wrong button. Again, I win.
  • Swwwwiiindl... oh, I got it too. Thanks for the heads up, BigD.
  • Yup, me too. Just the thing to cheer a sick daughter.
  • edited September 2012
    Jay !
    - Expires On: 01-10-2012

ETA: Grabbed this lovely album straight away . . .
  • Expires 10/1/12 for us Estados Unitos. So I just hit this one -
    600x600.jpg
    and this one -
    600x600.jpg
    and that's a nice, thank you very buch.
  • Nice surprise - wonder how much this was prompted by whinging about the Twitter-only credits.
  • edited September 2012
    I got that today as well, grabbed the Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz set from the mis-priced box set thread. Always nice to get free money.

/edit - just got this email: "I just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much we appreciate your membership, and I can think of no better way than with a bonus $10 music credit valid through September 30, 2012"
  • edited November 2014
    Freshly discovered:

300x300.jpg
    Asva - Presences Of Absences

- "Intention. The thing I'd always felt deep down about Asva recordings was that sense of... Intention. Good as they have been they rang hollow, as if the truth of what nature born those tracks was hidden behind a venear of having to 'be' a definable thing, genre specific, a way to 'belong' somewhere in the midst of other musics. The intention behind Presences Of Absences has been to make something real and unbiased, an honest effort at reproducing what is Asva's nature as a band and as individuals. Not heavy in the traditional sense of 'heavy' but emotive and powerful, not quirky, not elusive or exclusive, but a different breed entire. Presences Of Absences is about sincerity, goodwill and compassion, honesty, hard work and in the deepest sense, thanks and reflection at the end of the day. It's a discussion in music utilizing traditional elements (liturgical, plain chant, tintinnabuli* musics, folk and gospel musics, acoustic organ and wind instruments, etc) and contemporary electric instrumentation and playing methods to expose our shared origins, our pasts, presents and futures and the common thread passing through our relationships to all of it... Presences Of Absences is a big work.

P of A began as a singularly personal project. I had envisioned creating a solo work and had recorded the basis for these tracks (Reed and electric organs, electric bass and guitar, bells) over the course of perhaps a hundred and fifty early morning sessions in my rehearsal room. As the concept grew and after a lot of deliberation I realized that involving other creative minds to form a true collaborative we could, together, could push P of A into a whole new arena with considerable added dimension. Greg Gilmore, Toby Driver, and Jake Weller are musicians and composers of whom I have long admired and feel possess an intuitive sensitivity towards music and who-like myself- are not afraid of exposing themselves as truly individual voices unencumbered by any need to 'be' anything namable. Presences Of Absences speaks the naked truth about it's creators and ultimately about us as people."

- G. Stuart Dahlquist (aka. Asva) - Feb 2011 @ Important Records

Birds & Presences of Absences @ Youtube . . .

*ETA:
    Tintinnabuli
    - "(singular. tintinnabulum) (from the Latin tintinnabulum, a bell) is a compositional style created by the Estonian composer Arvo P
  • edited November 2012
    Very nice comp I recently got from eMu - Retro Rockin' Jazz R&B Blues - very tasty set of not the usual suspects songwise as I realized when I compared it to the iTunes library (meaning, hey, I don't have most of these). Title says it all - 40 tracks, $5.84, highly recommended.
    600x600.jpg
  • edited November 2014
    Here's a real treat:

300x300.jpg
  • Four years too late, surely?!
  • The fact that the phrase In Her Own Words is put in quotes pretty much verifies that the recording is not "In Her Own Words."
  • Ha ha, well observed. Yes, that choice of punctuation does create some interesting irony.
  • Small label I stumbled upon that has a couple of interesting things, Hoodoo Records The Orchard - two album two-fers + bonus, a Chuck Berry, a Bo Diddley - nice selection of songs, hits plus the oddities because they were actual albums, and not Frankenhoffered like most of their eMu UMG releases. The Influences Behind...The Beatles, Bob Dylan are sort of motley collections but good songs - might find some to cherry pick at $0.49 each (I got a few holes filled in).
  • edited November 2012
    All this jazz content on Definitive Records The Orchard is fairly recently added - the link is by most recent - and I haven't had the chance to digest it but there seem to be some interesting sets, especially those that have the word Complete in the title. Those first two Louis Armstrong sets, especially the 100 track second one, caught my eye, as well as the Fats Navarro/Tad Dameron volume.
    There are two Complete titles of Charlie Christian down a bit, and if anyone needs the father of electric jazz guitar for their collection it's an inviting price point. I'd go with the studio first, but the live one, if it includes some of the other stuff I have, like the Live at Minton's, it's well worth it too. Edit - the Christian sets are derived from import CD box sets, scant info at Amazon.
    2nd Edit Alert - the live Christian set looks to be exactly the material on this JSP CD box set - I already pulled the trigger and am digging it:
    61ZHB7qZ7-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Good find, BigD. Nothing makes me happier than hours of Satch.