Freshly Dropped/Discovered over at eMu

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Emusic is working for you people? It is on its back with its legs in the air across all browsers and devices for me (and some others on the emu board).
  • yeah, it's working for me (internet explorer). i checked after seeing your post.

this changeover to the new whateveritis hosting platform was ill-advised by emusic. unforced error, imo.
  • edited May 2012
    600x600.jpg
    I was wondering why Oxford Camerata from this selection from the Naxos sale seemed familiar, and it is of course they are heavily featured on the massive Naxos set Essential Masses, Vol.1, thankfully not in duplication of this work.

The site has worked for me today (Mac/Firefox) with occasional hiccups, BTW.
  • BDB's post initiated a chain of events by which I overcame my resistance to purchasing the Essential Masses set at the insane 7digital price. Expecting a lengthy download...!
  • @ doofy - it was and will be, but what a fine bunch of music it is.
  • In fact, the zip download failed; Trying the 7dig DLM
  • Thanks Doofy. £7.99 for 23 hours of music, probably the best bargain I have ever seen. I'll have to leave it on download when I go out or go to bed, as it'll take me hours!
  • Hope you have better luck than me, Greg..."only" the first 10 discs came through. I may just complete by DL'ing the individual tracks for the remaining 13 (!)
  • I'll let you know how I get on Doofy - no point doing it whilst I am sitting at my computer doing other things!
  • Am I right in thinking that the contents of disc 4 - two masses by Byrd and one by Tallis - are repeated elsewhere in the set, on discs 5 and 22?

Incidentally, disc 1 was one of my choices for the Gregorian chant part of my Classical History on MiG, and the Machaut album (disc 15) will be in Part 6.
  • Yes it does look like some repetition Nereffid, but at that price I won't be complaining!
  • Yes, that Essential Masses set is an incredible value. I liked the way they cross merchandised, too--telling me that if I liked that those masses I might also like Reggaeton 2011 by Varios Artistas and Tourniquets Of Love Desire by Children on Stun.
  • edited May 2012
    Frankenhofer Lives! Not really surprisingly I've found that this OJC repackage from eMu on the Good Times Jazz label is alas in Fraunhofer as so many of the Concord Group originals are - at least it was only $3.84. I wanted the damn album so whatever, but just as a PSA.
    600x600.jpg

This album, which I got there in June of 2009 is LAME encoded - I expect its current iteration is not.
    600x600.jpg

On a more encouraging note I found this Stanley Jordan album, Journey To Love, for $3.74 in spite of $0.79 tracks and one Album Only so that ain't too bad, and it has Jeff Beck on two tracks.
  • edited May 2012
    So here's something I don't do very often anymore at eMu - download a band I know nothing about, specifically the album Ranarop by Gjallarhorn, which Wikipedia tells me is a Swedish/Finnish folk/world band. I picked this album out of new releases a week or two ago, and the damnable thing is if I click on the band name the eMonster tells me there are no albums by this band available for download in my country - well, I freaking beg to differ, I just downloaded one. Good thing I've got other albums that dropped at the same time in the SFL if I decide I want them. I'm liking this one quite well.
    600x600.jpg

They have their own label, Gjallarhorn Tunecore, if anybody wants to find them. A search for the band name gets zilch.
  • Whatever one thinks of Ike Turner personally he was a seminal force in the history of blues/R&B and I think Rocket 88 is among the legitimate contenders for title of first rock'n'roll record. That song is among the 30 on this comp, Rocket 88. The Original 1951-1960 R&B and Rock & Roll Sides, that displays Ike with the many stars of the day he recorded with and sides he put out himself. There are some terrific songs here, and for $5.84 it is a great cross-section of '50's rocking music.
  • @BigD-Bluez, if you like Gjallarhorn, you might also like Hedningarna emusic link. Don't know how long they've been on emusic, but they are excellent. The album, Karelia Visa, is an album that belongs in my desert island stack. Hedningarna led me to Gjallarhorn. Hedningarna albums are pretty pricey on emusic, though.
  • edited June 2012
    @kez, thanks, I'll put them on the list - picked up Sjofn since last week BTW - very pleased. I have to give the much maligned eMu rec system credit I have seen this cover -
    600x600.jpg
  • Tra is a very good album. Karelia Visa is even better, IMO.
  • Thanks, BT. Listening to it now. I like it! Will be downloading.
  • Sale on some David Bowie albums, $4.99, a couple slightly lower - most of the early/mid career single disc releases, in case there are any you're missing, including Low, The Lodger - less played but really interesting albums. I have this nagging feeling that there were bonus track versions back in the CD days of some of these on Ryko, but they're history. These releases are the more recent Virgin versions.
  • @BDB

Yes, many of those had bonus tracks, released maybe ten years ago. I remember several from my glorious BMG binge days. I can't quite recall which ones I grabbed, but IIRC, I actually regretted not sticking with the originals. It could just be nostalgia from my teenage years, but the original Bowie albums (sans bonus tracks) just seem more cohesive, complete, and satisfying. The additional stuff like demo versions and alternate takes, while interesting and nice to listen to, just seemed to distract from the overall listening experience. But like I said, sometimes our initial interface with an album so completely cements in our minds how an album should start, sound, and end that any alteration from it just doesn't quite gel.
  • I have Ryko versions of Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust that have bonus tracks on them; they were my first exposure to both albums, but I still wish the bonus tracks weren't there. Put 'em on another disc, or skip them all together I say. It is an interesting way to see how labels rank artists though; Stones, Beatles, Dylan? No bonus tracks. Bowie, Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel? + bonus tracks.
  • I suspect that the reason some bands' reissues get bonus, other do not, have more to do with the profile of those bands. Obviously the Beatles' Anthology series made some pretty money, whereas bonus tracks on the Byrds' Younger than Yesterday (grossly overlooked) helped the album look like a more substantial offering. I don't mind them myself, but I hate that eMusic uses these "bonuses" to drive up the price of albums.
  • edited June 2012
    Back in my halcyon BMG days about ten years ago, there were a bunch of "Deluxe Edition" re-issues that I took advantage of. Two discs, often remastered. Disc One was the original album and Disc Two was all the extras. And they issued a wide range of albums this way. I got stuff as disparate as Mavin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" and Tears for Fears "Songs From the Big Chair." Ah how I miss those BMG deals.

Anyways, I always thought they did it right... separating the original from the extras, which left it up to the listener how they wanted to experience the album.
  • Someone on the messboard pointed out this new drop of 'Kultur Spiegel' Editions on the ACT Music label. I know nothing about these but am interested, especially in the E.s.t. Live. Vijay Iyer's 'Accelerando,' on the same label, has also finally arrived.
  • RE: ACT Music label . . .

Viktoria Tolstoy (Norway] and C
  • freshly dropped / discovered over at eMu

i have recently discovered, over at eMu, that i am an affluent phony.
  • edited June 2012
    - Heh !
    "An affluent phony is something to be" - I love that song !
    :-)
  • Could be worse, could be elitist hipster