Freshly Dropped/Discovered over at eMu

Comments

• Only 6 titles on this label, Swing/Believe Digital, 5 of which arrived over the weekend, but despite the peculiar album titles the compiler seems to have some depth of knowledge in the genre. I am particularly drawn to the 2 volumes with R&B in the title - there are a bunch of songs by artists I like a lot that I don't know or have here.
  • edited November 2011
    I was headed towards the Listening To thread after enjoying a bunch of songs from 619Bw1To4RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    The Cosimo Matassa Story, a 4 CD Proper box set, 120 songs recorded at Matassa's studios in New Orleans between 1951-1956, a treasure trove of great songs (came with a very nice booklet as well - liner notes are so nice to have). However, these sets are not available as MP3's but a search did reveal the song Rockin' At Cosimo's by Lee Allen is on this album over at eMu - Rockin' R&B Classics, along with 98 other songs comprising a great many of the songs to be found on The Cosimo Matassa Story, and for $4.40. I am normally suspicious/cautious with Goldenlane releases but this one has the genuine articles, and it is a great hunk of NO R&B.

BTW, have been listening to this also - Mambo! 100 Popular Latin Dance Classics - this is also a Goldenlane release, so I wanted to give it a listen before I spoke but it is a solid production. Really only a mambo beat unifies this very eclectic set - we have jazz, latin jazz, latin, popular, R&B, songs from all over the map, but great stuff, and it's $5.84.
  • Wow, I don't know when this record, Years Since Yesterday by The Paladins, hit eMu but this is seriously one of the hottest best roots-rock records of the last several decades. I mean that with all sincerity. These guys were at their pinnacle with this one, which they never matched afterwards. The cover of Titus Turner's Going Down To Big Mary's is so good. Highly, highly recommended.
  • edited November 2011
    This has been on my to-do list for a little while - finally remembered to look up What is the theme song from the BBC series Luther? Very catchy, slithery song - it's Paradise Circus by Massive Attack from the Heligoland album. The series BTW is one of the best things I've seen on TV any time recently - dark, twisted, intense, very British police drama.
    Edit - Trip-hop, eh? (After a little reading.) I am still being surprised, which is a good thing.
  • Emusic just added three albums by Thomas Fehlmann (useful collections of older material). Except you'll never find them if you search under his name, because they spelled it wrong on the new ones. Search for Thomas Fehlman.
  • Since the Great eMu Re-do Doo-Doo won't work to let me save any albums to lists at this time I'm going to park this one here for now - A Hanseatic Festival - German Renaissance Music.
  • edited November 2014
    The Swedish Silence Records Label is back @ Emusic.

- With my all time favourite Swedish prog band from the seventies: Samla Mammas Manna aka: Zamla Mammaz Manna and Von Zamla.

- Including maybe their best album ( as Zamla Mammaz Manna)
    600x600.jpg
    - Familjesprickor from 1980

- If anyone should consider to "waste" a download, I'll suggest track 3, The Forge.
    - When they played live they could blow off the roof of any building !

- Also on Silence Records: Hedningarna, Bob Hund, Bergman Rock and Bo Hansson (Hansson & Carlsson - the duo that wrote "Taxfree" - Later performed by Jimi Hendrix)

ETA: the image I posted was the small one from the Artist Page (195x195) . . . Hmmmm ?
    Correction: No, it's actually 300x300, I guess that explaines why most of the eMu covers are still here.
  • edited November 2011
    I am currently very upset to say the least at eMusic - I am, as much as the hellhole it has become is allowing me, currently culling my Save For Laters (I've got five different ones) with an eye on the exit, but picked this one up this morning - Burlesque - 100 Classics, $4.40, 100 tracks. What kind of record goes from Cab Calloway to Shiny Toy Guns, Lena Horne to Link Wray? This one - there are a lot of cool songs on here, just don't be put off by the first one - Swing Cat's Remix of Marilyn Monroe - that's fortunately a one of, but I even sort of liked that.
    600x600.jpeg

Oh, hell yeah, it's got Bette Davis Eyes - a little extra icing on the cake.
  • I am digging this one a whole lot - Screaming Gospel Holy Rollers, Volume 1 from Vee-Tone Records. Will be looking to see if a Volume 2 shows up.
  • edited January 2012
    Almost a month gone by -hmm, must mean something. BTW, referring to the above a Vol.2 did show up.

This may be a newish release by the period instrument ensemble Fretwork - Bach:Goldberg Variations, a double disc which is $6.49 at eMu ($17.98 at Amazon), and not a keyboard rendition (Ahah, the CD version explains "arranged for viols"). I must be cautious however, as I will never live down having to leave a performance of said music by Trevor Pinnock at the intermission, out of sheer embarrassment, because I literally could not keep my eyes open and kept snoring in my seat - well, it was commissioned by an insomniac after all. I suppose if it has the same effect at home nobody has to know.
  • What was I thinking? I felt compelled to check out the eMu Elvis Presley Sale for what possible purpose I don't know. I've got The 50"s box on CD, and picked up the 60's box during one of the great eMu snafu fiascoes, as well as the Gospel box, so what's left - Aloha From Hawaii? Got that on CD too it turns out because someone I worked with briefly did a cover off there. The dude abides, man.
  • edited January 2012
    100 Relaxing Classics, a new EMI Classics addition, 451 minutes, $13.80 - can't stand trying to check out all the track listings on this dinky laptop right now.
    100 Best Baroque, again EMI Classics, $12, 459 minutes. Have liked a couple of this series I've gotten.
  • I seem to recall someone being a Gentle Giant fan, so these are newish over there, and both $3.43 - Interview and Free Hand - album cover is so cool I have to include it:
    600x600.jpg
  • I don't know how this seminal Ravi Shankar album got priced at $1.60 but I'm jumping on it.
    600x600.jpg
  • edited February 2012
    Given how much I liked that Stile Antico Christmas album I'll definitely be checking this new one out later - Tune Thy Musicke To Thy Hart - Tudor and Jacobean Music For Private Devotion.
    But what the heck is up with this title?

These John Barleycorn themed folk releases on Cold Spring intrigue me - have to check out later.
  • 67974_helm_beaver_md.gif

The beaver is the thing you see through.

One supposes that to cock your beaver, you would put it up...Hm, there's just no way to say this without it sounding like a dirty joke.

That Ravi album is cheap at AMZ too.
  • edited February 2012
    Interesting B.B.King release - King of the Blues/My Kind of Blues - some kind of album 2-fer of older material (my favorite kind for BB). His discography can be to say the least challenging in it's enormity, so I can't pin down King of the Blues (some songs may have been 50's singles and are on the 90's release Heart & Soul), but My Kind of Blues was a 1961 album, written up as reputedly "his favorite". It is 25 tracks for $5.84, and at least it won't be MCA(UMG) tainted Frankenhoffer.
    So this label - Soul Jam Records/The Orchard - just appeared this week on eMu, 9 records, some similar 2-fers. This collection of early Solomon Burke is going to get a closer look from me.
  • edited February 2012
    A 2 disc set on EMI Classics for $5.19 from Hesperion XX/Jordi Savall - A Musical Banquet. Haven't hit this one yet but I am yet to be disappointed by this crew.
    Same price and label - Spanish Music of Travel and Discovery by the Waverly Consort - well, who'd you expect, The Spanish Inquisition?
  • Imagine my surprise to find something I consider worth reccing this morning - The Things I Used To Do by Eddie "Guitar Slim" Jones, a 23 song comp for $5.84. Guitar Slim died young but left his mark on a lot of up and coming blues and blues/rock players, and this is a good collection, the title song being his best known hit.
  • edited November 2014
    Freshly dropped, from 2000 by Jeffrey Fayman & Robert Fripp:
    600x600.jpg
    Jeffrey Fayman & Robert Fripp - The Pillars Of Hercules / The Sky Below / The Stars Below @ Youtube

- The Soundscapes of Jeffrey Fayman & Robert Fripp. A stunning album of looped Frippertronics and electronics, in the vein of the classic Fripp & Eno No Pussyfooting collaboration; released in conjunction with Jeffrey Fayman's Tranceportation imprint.

Recorded live from a past life, A Temple In The Clouds evokes a voyage on an ancient mariner vessel bound for what might be the Earth's End. Strange mists rise as we slowly drift upon sparkling seas where sacred primordial ritual meets modern amplified sound. Awash in the hypnotic looping structures of Robert Fripp's guitar soundscapes, Jeffrey Fayman adds an opulent cinematic brilliance to the proceedings, creating an intense and dramatic vision of a future rich in the heritage of Fripp's past. Recorded live from a past life.

Nine years in the making, A Temple In The Clouds is a unique collaboration between one of rock's most important and influential guitarists and a contemporary cinematic composer. Fripp's contribution of two hours worth of treated guitar work (his trademark “Frippertronics”) formed the basis for Fayman's layering of interwoven electronic soundscapes. Focusing on the subtleties and slight shifts in overtones and harmonics, Fayman and Fripp have created a dynamic musical kaleidoscope, ever changing and intrinsically radiant in each sonic fractal."

- Projekt Darkwave
  • @Doofy Knowing that bit about the beaver illuminates many lines from Shakespeare.
  • edited April 2012
    Repost from the Listening thread - I liked it that much:

Fancy some Django/Dawg-grass? Recently saw Midnight In Paris and was sufficiently taken with the gypsy jazz guitar song that recurs throughout ( Bistro Fada - $0.49 here at eMu) to search out the artist, Stephane Wrembel, and found this collaboration with David Grisman at eMu, $5.99, Gypsy Rumble - The Stephane Wrembel Trio with David Grisman. Very, very nice - highly recommended.

EDIT - Well, what the dawg gone? There's a new David Grisman album snuck through in March, a birthday salute to Bill Monroe, some may be previously released but some definitely isn't - here is the page from Acoustic Disc, and it's here - Dawg Plays Big Mon at eMu for $5.99. Unexpected to find something new and good to DL there just when I'm getting fed up with them - of course I found it by accident and no thanks to them.
    Edit 2 - Click on the Liner notes link on the Acoustic Disc page for the skinny on who's playing what, etc.
  • Really!??? - this is their idea of a Naxos 25th Anniversary sale? This zombie thing has just been done to death.
  • To be fair, the Naxos sale is mostly zombie-free Naxos’ 25th Anniversary Sale, Featuring 25 Titles From Polish Conductor Antoni Wit

naxos-041112-download.jpg

Still he does look like he has a good brain on him.
  • edited April 2012
    Hey, anyone familiar with this? Best of Perception & Today Records - 2 disc set, $6.99. I'm stuck at work with the ancient computer that can't play samples - besides do they have the player up there anyway? Amazon's only got CD and Vinyl. Anyhow, just to digress, why can I still play samples on Amazon, and not eMu and 7dig since they "upgraded"? Did me a lot of good (at work anyhow).

This might be interesting - Bandera Blues and Gospel From the Bandera, Laredo, and Jerico Road Labels of Chicago - 27 tracks from the Ace label. EDIT - Listened to samples over at Amazon and liked - a lot.
  • Best of Perception and Today is really cool, like it alot. Rec'd it over at the other boards (under mys econd account name)
  • Nank, that was you! Who knew? BDB, I got it too, as mentioned in the "Number Nine" thread. Here's the SoulSides link I posted there: http://soul-sides.com/2012/04/naturally-good-perception-and-today-records/
  • Oh, in the thread titled The Best of Perception & Today? Damn, just proves the eyes can glaze over with all the detritus to be found there lately - oh how I pine for the fjords, I mean simpler days gone by.
  • I used to be very scrupulous about only posting under the Nanker account to maintain a consistent "identity" but with the fragmentation of discussion over there it hardly seems worth logging out and back in again nowadays.

Got the Bandera Blues and is great thanks BigD. Bear Family has added a bunch of stuff recently which I'm combing through but the Sun Singles you posted in another thread is $23 for me alas.
  • Not sure if they're freshly dropped or not, but I noticed that Olafur Arnalds has three albums in the U.S. anyway and they're all under $5. I wanted to add them to my Under $5 List but it's either maxed out or just buggy.