Freshly Dropped/Discovered over at eMu

Comments

• edited August 2011
    New drop of 68 albums from the defunct Hightone label - cool label that had lots of roots-rock, country, blues - they were indie way back. Some points of interest - 4 Dave Alvin releases, 4 Tom Russell. Most everything seems to be $0.49/track, with an album cap of $6.49.
  • BigD: Do you have any clue why Public Domain is not available (don't say copyright issues)? I've wanted to recommend it so may times to so many people.
  • I can't see anything from that link but sounds like it might be the stuff we have under the Shout! label. Except that includes Public Domain, they added things in stages so maybe that one will turn up eventually.
  • edited August 2011
    BT, don't know - the album is available at iTunes (just checked, that's where I had DL'd Shenandoah from that album like 6 years ago), but this is far from the entire Hightone catalog - I recall the selection when it was at Amie was sort of spotty as well, some rights hassle probably since the company itself is no more.
    Interesting, there's also a newly dropped Dave Alvin - The Best of the Hightone Years on the rather small Red Music label. But WTF - there's an older Shout Factory version that's cheaper. Weird.

Also about a dozen new releases from New West dropped on the 4th.
  • Today's emu free track from Jody Redhage might be interesting. I remember giving her a listen a while back. I think vibe guy Tim Collins appears on some of her albums. She plays cello and vocals and does some sort of classical folk Irish tunes, if I recall.

Pretty rare than the emu dotd interests me at all.
  • edited November 2014
    Quentin Rollet's Rectangle label.
    - With artists such as David Grubbs, Derek Bailey, Eugene Chadbourne and Fred Frith.

- Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying this:
    300x300.jpg
    David Grubbs - Aux Noctambules

BTW:
    I posted this free EP by Quentin Rollet @ the Bandcamp/Jazz thread a while ago:
    2794561076-1.jpg
    - (recommended for the usual experimental/avantgarde suspects.)
  • This - Return of the Grievous Angel - A tribute To Gram Parsons - looks like the content from a show of the same name that was on PBS some time ago on a series called Sessions From West 54th Street. I recall liking it a lot at the time.
  • To paraphrase one of my favorite movies - "Saddam Hussein, I heard you were dead.".
  • @bdb - I listened to a few of the samples, Saddam sounds pretty decent.
  • This label is new to me, most of their content has only dropped very recently - Acoustic Music Records. Anybody know anyone here they like? I DL'd the Herb Ellis album without even listening yet, and added that Larry Coryell, and several Duck Baker, and Duck Baker & Stefan Grossman to the SFL's.

BTW, there's a Ginger Baker album I just plucked from the SFL horse latitudes - Coward of the County - I like his jazz albums and a 60 minute album for $3.92 ain't bad these days over there. Oddly there are 2 seemingly identical versions, one from Rhino Atlantic, one from Atlantic Jazz. Go figure.
  • edited August 2011
    New Nigerian/Ghanaian comp from Vampi Soul - Highlife Time Vol. 2, only $4.40. EDIT - am liking this puppy.

Also a blues release of note - Masters of Modern Blues - Floyd Jones & Eddie Taylor - originally on Testament Records, featuring Otis Spann. Yes, I am a sucker for anything with Otis Spann.
    Also this Otis Rush album - Right Place, Wrong Time.
    Jeez, also this album - Johnny Shines with Big Walter Horton, with a very enthusiastic review by Eugene Chadbourne - must investigate later - all these reissues on the Shout label (Hightone reissues etc.).
    There are 26 it turns out new releases - Shout! - blues, Big Sandy, Sonny Burgess, R.L.Burnside, Deke Dickerson, Rosie Flores - I know a bunch of these were on the Hightone Label originally, and WTF isn't this supposed to be the same as the Shout Factory label - this has to be another screw-up. The Bill Kirchen King of Dieselbilly album I would recommend, especially the two versions of Hot Rod Lincoln(second one by the Twangbangers=Kirchen + Redd Volkaert), and Rocket In My Pocket.
  • edited August 2011
    Gozalo! Vol.4 - Bugalo Tropical, $4.40. Oh, and some guy named Tom Waits has a new single. Scum sucking weasels put him on the front page for a single? Homey don't pay $0.89/track.

Ooh, also brand spanking new 40th Anniversary release - Our Latin Thing (Cosa Nuestra) - by The Fania All Stars comprising both Volumes 1 & 2 of Live At The Cheetah, $4.40 - a very good deal for these great albums. This is the audio part of a new CD/DVD release today, $13.83 Amazon.

10th Anniversary O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Deluxe Edition, $12 which is cheaper than elsewhere but not by a lot. CD package is steep, $21.99 Amazon. All of which is a lot for something I already have half of.

Rockpile Live At Montreux 1980, $7.79 but hey you lying eMaggots it's $6.99 here. I wanted to say that in the voice of Eric Cartman but the sound samples won't work.
    Hmm, exactly the same price breakdown on Rainbow - Live in Germany 1976.
  • edited August 2011
    This one:
    300x300.jpg
    + more back catalogue from Sky Burial on Lens Records.

"IV: Of Dharma And Drowning is Sky Burial’s first exploration into the “epic” compositional style which continues up through current recordings. Inspired by trips to Tibet, IV: Of Dharma And Drowning travels through ritual soundscapes, ebbing and flowing through dark drones and percussive cacophony incorporating field recordings of Tibetan ritual instrumentation."
  • edited August 2011
    Not new but plowing through the old SFLs I found Solo Ellos...Los Destellos - these guys are all over Roots of Chicha 1 & 2, also Cumbia Beat 1, and only 1 song on this album is duplicated. Not any kind of bargain sadly, at $5.99, but a great sound if you dig that chicha thang.

Some cumbia comps to mull over also - Lo Mejor de la Cumbia Peruana II, and Lo Mejor de la Cumbia Peruana III. Have not checked out in depth yet.

Edit - I am a fan of the Vintage Music label's EP series, usually 4 songs at $0.49 each, so these 2 samplers might be a good deal/good introduction to Vintage Flamenco Cante Selection From EPs, 30 tracks, $5.99, and also Vintage Flamenco Guitar, 25 tracks, $5.99.
  • edited September 2011
    Eh, not new, but some of these comps make more sense than others - this one intrigues me and I will probably be getting it later on at home - Cotton Club - 100 Classics - oh, and it's $4.40. EDIT - This one is a go for me, a lot of fine music.
    This might be another - 100 Gospel Masters of the 40's & 50's. Edit - this one's appeal may be a bit narrower but at this price I'm content to satisfy the itch to expand into an area not overly populated in my collection.
  • edited September 2011
    This label, Black Round Records/IODA, re-crossed my path this morning but I don't think I ever checked out their full inventory - quite a lot of world/latin vintage type releases. I have the 2 volumes of The Music of Brazil/The Guitar of Bola Sete which I am very happy with, so I have the feeling there's more gold in them thar hills.
    I find I've got some Arsenio Rodriguez in my SFLs, and I'm adding this Cuban comp as well - The Music of Cuba - Cuban Soneros Vol.1/1934-1957.
  • Unfortunately my aged work computer can't manage to play samples from eMu anymore recently but this gospel release caught my eye - The Great 1955 Shrine Concert. Looks good, hope it sounds good.
  • This is an interesting concept album - Elvis And The Originals - 26 Elvis songs and the originals he was covering (although I'm not convinced all of these are the very first rendition of the song - they were definitely influential). Cool enough to really need? Have to see.
  • interested in that 1934 -- 1957 cuba comp. i've been seeking out cool, noir-type music from the 40s -- 50s. some of this disc fills that bill nicely.
  • Daniel, have you checked out Rumba Jazz 1919-1945, The History of Latin Jazz and Dance Music From the Swing Era ? It is also at eMusic but $3 cheaper at 7digital as linked. Might fit in nicely with your theme.
  • Release from cool band and one of BT's faves as I recall - The Carolina Chocolate Drops - Dona Got A Ramblin' Mind.
  • one of BT's faves as I recall
    Sure are! Too bad their Raleigh show was Hurricaned out.
  • Has anyone else noticed their Emu DLM suddenly mystically operating faster than it used to? I'm still using version 4.1.4, but with no input from me this morning it was downloading two tracks at a time and way more quickly than in the past. A ray of sunshine in a sea of glitches, welcome though none the less.
  • I didn't notice any difference, but I will watch out to see if it is any quicker, as I wasn't really taking that much notice. Let's hope you are right
  • Rats, back to the SOS tonight with the DLM - must have been a glitch.
  • Two labels has dropped in recently:

Hydra Head (Is this a redrop, I wonder ?)
    - and Monotype Records - http://www.monotyperecords.com/en/releases.html
  • edited September 2011
    Nothing like the addition of a label (Monotype) with only a handful of artists I've heard of to put the illusion of knowing what's out there to shame.

BTW, I think the Hydra Head link is different for the US - different distributor (your link came up blank): http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/label/MP3-Download/256886.html:
  • Because Music just arrived. Amadou et Mariam, Charlotte Gainsbourg, etc, album priced at $5.99.
  • edited September 2011
    Another new label, in the UK/EU, at least is J and R Adventures. Their major artist is Joe Bonamassa, although many of his releases were on emusic in the past but vanished a year or so ago. Not everything he has recorded is there, but quite a high proportion.

Because Music in the UK has SMOD as well - A and M's son's band.